Smallville Season 8 Discussion Thread

Bespin refugee

That quote makes me think 'it was all a dream' right off the bat! I'm sure they won't take it that direction, to get back on track, you never know...

This ep kinda hit me weird - like the writers started out with something they thought was going to make for a good story, but then realized the idiocy of it, but rather then re-write, just went the lazy route and made Lois look like a complete buffoon. The crux moment hit me when Clark and Lois were in the alley, and he recognized her. Like, 'DUH'! Everything after that was like her trying to make up for being such a tool.

And speaking of 'the lazy way out', I'd really have liked ot see the hospital scene where they dealt with Clark being shot and all. Granted, alot of his on-screen anguish was due to that cursed kryptonite ink, but still, there's no way he should have been able to convince the two that 'Oh, it's not as bad as it looks after all. I just need to go home and get some rest.' That was a little annoying.

I'm not sure Jimmy's a junkie like they want us to believe. I watched closely just to see what he was buying, and it seemed like they intentionally made it impossible to tell. Obviously the people he's dealing with know him, and are not the most reputable of characters, but that whole interaction just left me thinking.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And speaking of 'the lazy way out', I'd really have liked ot see the hospital scene where they dealt with Clark being shot and all. Granted, alot of his on-screen anguish was due to that cursed kryptonite ink, but still, there's no way he should have been able to convince the two that 'Oh, it's not as bad as it looks after all. I just need to go home and get some rest.' That was a little annoying.
Yeah, I wondered about that for the rest of the episode. bullet hole(s) & blood on his shirt, but, no wound? What, did he tuck a Krypto bill in his pocket? lol

I really didn't care for this episode. As is usually the case, there were a few redeeming qualities (the phone call between Clark and Lois, for example), but most of it just irritated me.

From the writing to the dialogue to the editing to the plot to some of the acting, it amounted to my least favorite episode of the season so far. Way too many inconsistencies and unexplained moments, as well as too many "it's not like you're a hero" remarks to Clark. Those were funny/clever at first, but we don't need it said 10 times in each episode, especially when the situation doesn't call for it.

As for that quote, it's certainly interesting and also sounds to me like the "it was all a dream" setup. I don't think they'll do that, but I could see them calling this an elseworlds tale. They don't seem too hesitant to retcon things they've done in the first 8 seasons, so I wouldn't put much past them. The new executive producers seem a little more attentive to the DC Universe in general and want to do right by the fans (even if all the fans don't agree with everything being strictly like the comic).

Well, 'Beast' was overly frustrating for me! I spent more time going 'WTF, A-HOLE!' than any other ep so far. It seemed like everyone except Oliver had on their dunce caps.

I never liked the idea of Jimmy being around, and found myself really hoping DAvis would just kill him and get it over with. And as much as they skirted around the alleged drug issue, they still haven't really come out and confirmed it, which makes me doubt drugs are what he was buying even more.

Clark had all the time in the world to dispatch Davis to the Phantom Zone, but they played him like the 'villain who spends too much time telling his plans and then they go awry' syndrome. With a potential threat of Davis' magnitude, he should have just super-sped through the whole scene. Drop him, grab the crystal, turn the machine on, and be done with it. The walking and talking bit showed no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Chloe. Wow, they set her up BIG TIME as a candidate for the end-of-season death! It's almost like they intentionally set out to make the fans want her dead! And her argument about Clark regretting sending Davis to the Phantom Zone for the rest of his life doesn't wash. He's sent other villains there, why would this be any different?

Still, I'm hoping they turn on the juice for the next two eps, or there might not be anyone coming back for the next gift season!

Well, 'Beast' was overly frustrating for me! I spent more time going 'WTF, A-HOLE!' than any other ep so far. It seemed like everyone except Oliver had on their dunce caps.

I never liked the idea of Jimmy being around, and found myself really hoping DAvis would just kill him and get it over with. And as much as they skirted around the alleged drug issue, they still haven't really come out and confirmed it, which makes me doubt drugs are what he was buying even more.

Clark had all the time in the world to dispatch Davis to the Phantom Zone, but they played him like the 'villain who spends too much time telling his plans and then they go awry' syndrome. With a potential threat of Davis' magnitude, he should have just super-sped through the whole scene. Drop him, grab the crystal, turn the machine on, and be done with it. The walking and talking bit showed no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Chloe. Wow, they set her up BIG TIME as a candidate for the end-of-season death! It's almost like they intentionally set out to make the fans want her dead! And her argument about Clark regretting sending Davis to the Phantom Zone for the rest of his life doesn't wash. He's sent other villains there, why would this be any different?

Still, I'm hoping they turn on the juice for the next two eps, or there might not be anyone coming back for the next gift season!

Yup, I agree, lame-o! I am sick of the saop opera.

Beast was actually one of my favorite episodes this season, if not my most favorite. For some reason it all just worked for me, though part of it could be that I disliked Stiletto so much and was glad to get a real episode again.

Chloe telling Clark he'd regret banishing Davis was really stupid. She sent him on a wild goose chase to Alaska, which nearly got Jimmy and Oliver killed, and then she has the audacity to lecture Clark about sending one person to the Phantom Zone, one person who could potentially kill everyone on the planet? Not cool, Chloe.

If she truly did love Davis, I could understand (rational people do all sorts of irrational things in the name of love), but then at the end she was saying how it was all for Clark (which redeemed her some), so the only decent justification for her acting like such an idiot was flushed down the toilet. At least Oliver told her off, though.

Oliver continues to be my favorite character. I like his no BS, tell it like it is, put Clark in his place when necessary attitude.

I like how they're setting things up for the end of the season. It should be a good run leading up to Season 9.

Had a hard time watching tonight's. The sound went out on my TV. Close Captioning sometimes has trouble keeping up with what people are saying. Wish I could hear the voice of who was talking at the end. All I know is something is going on with Kandor.

Had a hard time watching tonight's. The sound went out on my TV. Close Captioning sometimes has trouble keeping up with what people are saying. Wish I could hear the voice of who was talking at the end. All I know is something is going on with Kandor.

My first thought was Zod.

My first thought was Zod.

That would coincide with the 'Z' shown in the preview for the finale.

This ep was pretty good as far as it's been going. There's just a few things that bugged me.

1. It's been mentioned before, but is there anyone who doesn't know about Clark?!? You've got the whole 'Injustice Gang', courtesy of Tess, no doubt, and now Dr. Emil also? (I really don't remember him from any past season eps, so he didn't make enough of an impact on me to cause me to remember him knowing about Clark).

2. Would have liked a scene where Ava/Chloe was clued in on crystals and Isis. Again, obviously Tess' doing, but I think they took too much for granted in playing those cards. Especially with Isis. That's not a simple desktop we're talking about there.

3. If Clark could locate Plastique, why wouldn't he know that Parasite was in the area also?

4. I would have loved to see Clark driving that Ferrari. Seeing as how his vehicular experience is pretty much relegated to pickup trucks, realisticly speaking, there's no way in hell I could see him just up and driving away in a super-high performance machine like that one. Might have been a little comedic, but would have been nice. It's like they just figure CK can do anything, no matter how new or complex.

But that's it. Nothing major - just nitpicky and repeatative stuff. Really looking forward to next week's finale, but not so much waiting until October for the next season.

I did not like the season final for Smallville at all. It's like they don't know what to do with the show. The Doomsday/Blueblurr showdown was Lame!

As a HUGE fan of Superman & the whole idea of Smallville.. I honestly have to say.. I hate this show :(

why do the writers make me want to hate this show week after freekin week? Jimmy dead? WHAT?? Lois gone??

ZOD returns again?

all the while.. Kal still doesnt have the suit or have a clue about his true destiny?

I will watch this show.. but as of now.. I am no longer a fan. :(

Ugh, so, we have Jimmy become 'Superman's Pal' (yeah, somebody else who knew the secret, but, still...), only to be killed off, and set up to be replaced by Jimmy Jr?! :rolleyes:

(was the 'drug habit' a money making scheme to pay for the 'Watch tower'?)

Lois lost in time. I am curious to see how this plays out

Clark gives up his 'boy scout' side. What is a hero without his humanity?

Dare I hope for a Legion ring time travel cop-out to retcon the finale? :unsure:

I don't think that was Clark at the end. No blue or red, just purple and he dissapeared....Martian Manhunter anyone?

I think he is still down there with Doomsday because, hello Cosmic Boy said he dies that day, so what changed to make that not true? Nada! ON top of that his "excuse" for how he got out was very vague and stupid. Doomsday is just as fast so why would he not get out as well?

Just alot of unanswered questions but hey, thats what a finale is all about. Though I am happy with the tragic death of Davis, Jimmy was uncalled for but hey, sometimes a gal who plays both sides gets a big old I TOLD YOU SO B! in her face! I hope Chloe jumps off a bridge!

PLUSSSSSSS........why the hell would Lana not come in and WonderNinja the crap out of Doomsday, hello she is fast and strong like Clark and she knows how to fight, unlike Clark( which is stupid but whatever).

I would like to write for the show because I feel like they are super bypassing alot of key issues and replaces them with WTF's!!!

P.S. ----- I hope the Legion mistakes Lois for Doomsday and Wildfire burns her to a crisp!! Nah, J/K I like Lois! :-)

Is there anyone who doesn't know Clark's secret any more? And is it really a secret? By the way,don't say Lois. I'm sure when she comes back,she'll know too. This show should have been put out of it's and ours misery long ago.

That was so horribly bad, doomsday was worthless. Punch punch punch boom....thats it?. The season started off so strong...what the hell happened?

Also, this was the first time i've noticed, but some of the acting was just terrible....and the lois/tess fight? Looked like it was intended to include mud or jell-o or something.

Ya know the more I think about the finale show this season, the less sense it makes. It was just plain HORRIBLE! When it ended I was like WTF!?!?! :huh: I've been buying the seasons everytime they come out but this one I don't know if I want to watch it again,.....ever. <_<

This season has felt like a bunch of random nothingness to me. If they get the go ahead for another season they need to make him the Superman we all know and love and let the show come to an end and stop messing up the Superman mythology! :D The plots and characters are getting down right awful and I don't know how much more I can take. @puke@

That was so horribly bad, doomsday was worthless. Punch punch punch boom....thats it?. The season started off so strong...what the hell happened?

Also, this was the first time i've noticed, but some of the acting was just terrible....and the lois/tess fight? Looked like it was intended to include mud or jell-o or something.

It truly was. They spend the season and several episodes building up the Doomsday suspense

and then in 5 seconds he's taken out by Clark :huh: The payoff for watching an entire season

of this was pointless. All this talk about Davis' humanity and in the end he still turns out to be

psychotic.

I pretty much agree with all that has been said - just took me a bit longer to let it all sink in. Here's what I noticed, though:

The Clark/Lois phone call seems out of place (hell, the whole ep seemed like bits and pieces thrown together last minute...) And if he had a line of sight on her, how could she have missed him with all the twisting and turning she was doing?

Everyone's pretty presumptuous about Lex being dead. Given all the other wierd sh!t that's been known to happen in their world, I'd think they would be a little more interested in getting something like DNA confirmation on that.

The Legion's pretty liberal about handing out their extra rings. And if it was preprogrammed to send D-day to their future, then I guess that's where Lois went.

I did like the look on D-day - it was pretty true to the comics (even though they never really focussed on him for any period of time longer than a second!)

Anyone happen to notice the set for Jimmy's wedding gift could be the same set used for the Clock Tower in 'Birds of Prey'? Hmm...

Nice cop-out with Jimmy, changing his name so that it wasn't the same character from the comics. His name was Henry James Olsen. The comic character (the little kid, I guess?) is named James Bartholomew Olsen. Almost like the writers admitting defeat.

I'm real curious to see what they do with next season's opener, especially as how this was far from the dynamic, all-guns-blazing showdown the producers alluded to, at least in my opinion. I'm sure D-day will be part of it, as THAT went too easy! Then there's the Lois/Legion thing. And the seeming maturation of Clark. And now the WTF-Zod-again thing. (Still don't remember where that orb came from in the first place...)

Nice cop-out with Jimmy, changing his name so that it wasn't the same character from the comics. His name was Henry James Olsen. The comic character (the little kid, I guess?) is named James Bartholomew Olsen. Almost like the writers admitting defeat.
I read that DC didn't really want Jimmy on the show because he was too old (w/ all of the libertties they've taken, this was a problem?), so, I guess this was their way of using him without actually using him :unsure: I'm still disapppointed, comic accurate age or not, I liked the character.
And now the WTF-Zod-again thing. (Still don't remember where that orb came from in the first place...)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I felt like I missed something over the last episode and a half.

It also felt like there were still a lot of unanswered/dropped plotlines. Jimmy's 'drug habit', Ollie's strange behavior after after Lex was killed (the ring)...

Smallville will be moving to Fridays in the fall

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=15176

Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to recheck my schedule for the Fall

I missed so many episodes this season, I was just planning on getting the DVD set but reading this, I may have to rethink. The couple of earlier episodes I have watched of the season were OK. But Jimmy dead? OH, boy.....And to think, just last season (season 7) I liked so much! (though other people didn't seem to agree with me.)

Might be good that next season is the last. Friday night is a death sentence.

I just watched the last two episodes of the season.

Injustice was really good, a lot like Beast. There were the usual "Are they serious?" moments, but nothing too bad at all. It really set up the finale well.

But Doomsday was a big letdown for me. They just didn't do enough. Plot twists are great when they make sense, but stuff like killing Davis anyway and having this Jimmy be a different Jimmy just amounts to uninspired writing (they could have found a better way to get rid of Davis; and if they were gonna retcon Jimmy, they shouldn't have used him in the first place).

This finale definitely wasn't worthy of the season that was Number 8. Up until halfway through, the episode was good, but it all went south from there.

For the person who posted it, good catch on this Jimmy not being the real Jimmy. That's a copout way of doing things, though (kinda like the "it was all a dream" approach).

And how many times are they going to do this, with Clark not wanting to do the difficult thing, only to find it was a mistake to not do what everyone else was telling him? And then have him leave like some kind of melodramatic teen?

And why isn't he pissed at himself for Jimmy's death? That should be the reason for his big-baby-I-gotta-run-away tantrum, not his lack of faith in humanity. And Chloe should be pissed at herself, too, because she's the one who split Davis from Doomsday.

And speaking of rehashing the same old crap, if they bring Zod back I'm gonna be pissed. They kept bringing back Brainiac (James Marsters was good, but they still went back to the well too often), and now they're gonna bring back Zod? Come up with something else, people. You have 70+ years of comics to draw from (can we say "Darkseid"? Or "Metallo"? "Mongul"? Hell, "Solomon Grundy" even?).

I missed so many episodes this season, I was just planning on getting the DVD set but reading this, I may have to rethink. The couple of earlier episodes I have watched of the season were OK. But Jimmy dead? OH, boy.....And to think, just last season (season 7) I liked so much! (though other people didn't seem to agree with me.)

The rest of this season was really good. Of course, there were some not-so-good moments like always, but overall I thought Season 8 was really solid. That's part of why the finale was so disappointing.

I just watched the last two episodes of the season.

Injustice was really good, a lot like Beast. There were the usual "Are they serious?" moments, but nothing too bad at all. It really set up the finale well.

But Doomsday was a big letdown for me. They just didn't do enough. Plot twists are great when they make sense, but stuff like killing Davis anyway and having this Jimmy be a different Jimmy just amounts to uninspired writing (they could have found a better way to get rid of Davis; and if they were gonna retcon Jimmy, they shouldn't have used him in the first place).

This finale definitely wasn't worthy of the season that was Number 8. Up until halfway through, the episode was good, but it all went south from there.

For the person who posted it, good catch on this Jimmy not being the real Jimmy. That's a copout way of doing things, though (kinda like the "it was all a dream" approach).

And how many times are they going to do this, with Clark not wanting to do the difficult thing, only to find it was a mistake to not do what everyone else was telling him? And then have him leave like some kind of melodramatic teen?

And why isn't he pissed at himself for Jimmy's death? That should be the reason for his big-baby-I-gotta-run-away tantrum, not his lack of faith in humanity. And Chloe should be pissed at herself, too, because she's the one who split Davis from Doomsday.

And speaking of rehashing the same old crap, if they bring Zod back I'm gonna be pissed. They kept bringing back Brainiac (James Marsters was good, but they still went back to the well too often), and now they're gonna bring back Zod? Come up with something else, people. You have 70+ years of comics to draw from (can we say "Darkseid"? Or "Metallo"? "Mongul"? Hell, "Solomon Grundy" even?).

The rest of this season was really good. Of course, there were some not-so-good moments like always, but overall I thought Season 8 was really solid. That's part of why the finale was so disappointing.

Yes, 'Doomsday' was a huge letdown, especially if you followed how it was being touted as 'the episode we were all looking forward to' on E! or other interview sites. (Though I am glad they finally got rid of both Davis and Jimmy. Nothing against the actors - they did a great job, but it just wasn't their time.)

I think I appreciated the 'tornado-in-the-middle-of-prom' cliffhanger more that I will this one. But that may be because we expected so much more as the series went on. And maybe they'll wow us with the opener in October, with the battle we really would appreciate.

Missing footage - how did Jimmy find the JLA, Chloe, and Davis, and then how did C/J/D all get to the 'Gotham Clock Tower'? That was a little... odd. Sure, Clark pointed him in the right direction after revealing himself (yet again...sigh...)

Notice that Clark has these good plans and Chloe keeps f-ing it up? What the hell?

Clark leaves the most important item of all time in his desk at work????? Wha????

If they bring back Zod, which is pretty much a given, they had better give him form. Like Terrance Stamp. Sure he's aged since his portrayal in S1 and 2, but I think he'd be the man to pull it off. And make fans go gaga in the process! If not him, maybe Christopher Walken's available?

AND WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THAT ORB?!? It's not just me, according to the posts above, and I know I have not missed any ep since the onset. So just where did that come from? And furthermore, who busted it out of the vault? (And why would Tess go after Lois, given the amount of strength it would have taken to do what was shown?)

Too many questions...

If they bring back Zod, which is pretty much a given, they had better give him form. Like Terrance Stamp. Sure he's aged since his portrayal in S1 and 2, but I think he'd be the man to pull it off. And make fans go gaga in the process! If not him, maybe Christopher Walken's available?
I'd look for Sam Whitner (Davis) to return to play Zod next season. Someone on another board pointed out a line from this season's "Bloodline" (Zod's wife takes over Lois' body and reveals Davis' heritage)

[From Tv.com] Faora (To Davis): "You don't recognize me... but you are the spitting image of your father"