LOTR 3 3/4" figures

rherk

With the Hobbit a couple years away, I was thinking this would be the perfect time for the LOTR movie universe to be done right. I know a lot of people like the Toybiz figures and they were well sculpted but big, clunnky and hard to collect and display. Now that Hasbro has pretty much taken over the remaining Toybiz' lines, I think it would be great to see an aweome full universe of 3 3/4" scaled figures from all three movies similar to the Indiana Jones. Star Wars series but no need for the multi packs and special editions just simply one of every important character in their different uniforms. 3/34" is the perfect scale for such an expansive line and for those who don't think they can do the little hobbits and retain the detail needed just take a look at the many small Star Wars characters or the upcoming Short Round figure from IJ and the Temple of doom. Now this would be a series I would collect. These movies are easily the best fantasy films put on film and deserve a great toy line with all the different sizes of monsters, orcs, elves, dwarves, trolls and other creatures. It would be awesome as long as they can get the price of each figure around the 5-6 dollar range because it seems as of late with oil prices, a 3 3/4" figure is creeping up to the 8 dollar mark and that would make these hard to collect. Anyone else agree with this?

With the Hobbit a couple years away, I was thinking this would be the perfect time for the LOTR movie universe to be done right. I know a lot of people like the Toybiz figures and they were well sculpted but big, clunnky and hard to collect and display. Now that Hasbro has pretty much taken over the remaining Toybiz' lines, I think it would be great to see an aweome full universe of 3 3/4" scaled figures from all three movies similar to the Indiana Jones. Star Wars series but no need for the multi packs and special editions just simply one of every important character in their different uniforms. 3/34" is the perfect scale for such an expansive line and for those who don't think they can do the little hobbits and retain the detail needed just take a look at the many small Star Wars characters or the upcoming Short Round figure from IJ and the Temple of doom. Now this would be a series I would collect. These movies are easily the best fantasy films put on film and deserve a great toy line with all the different sizes of monsters, orcs, elves, dwarves, trolls and other creatures. It would be awesome as long as they can get the price of each figure around the 5-6 dollar range because it seems as of late with oil prices, a 3 3/4" figure is creeping up to the 8 dollar mark and that would make these hard to collect. Anyone else agree with this?

I'd buy'em. But then again, I'm a big fan of 1:18 scale. It may be a bit late for these not to mention that it would probably piss-off those with existing extensive 6" collections who simply wanted to add "The Hobbit" (just look at the Marvel Legends fans' reactions to the up-coming 3 3/4" line...I personally can't wait! ;)). However, I think that epic series like this are perfect for 1:18 and would have bought every one of them. The playsets and army-building potential alone would have been awesome! Try recreating an orc or elven army with 6" figures.

I'd probably buy them if they were more like the new GI Joe figures and less like SW/Indiana Jones. I want ball-jointed hips, basically. It looks like that will happen with the Marvel ones you mentioned so I'll probably get those too.

• 4 weeks later...

My wallet would kill me, but I would definetly collect these. I collected both the 6" inch figures and the 12"ers. If the figures had the gi joe articulation and detail, that would be great. Also if the humans would be 4", the hobbits 3.5", and the wraiths a little taller, I think that scale would be best (imo). I am not a big fan of movie figures as to me it seems that the sculpters pay most attention to actor/actress likeness'. I would like to see the figures as a hybrid of the movie characters and of the fantasy concept art. I also think it would be great at this scale, so we can have the playsets, vehicles/mounts (the flying birds), and the larger beasts like the ents, trolls, and especially the balrog. I would also like to see book characters not in the movies like Tom Bombadil.

Exactly.

After replying to this topic, I had to dig out my old lotr figures, and most are impressive. I like the detail, but still believe the 3 3/4"-4" idea would be better and as long as the articulation is better. I wouldn't even really mind if they were very close in looks (but should be a little different).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this very thing over the past few years, funny enough. I would absolutely LOVE a 3-3/4" LOTR line from Hasbro. They'd definitely do the property justice, and of course Hasbro has proven time and time again they're well-suited for doing lines with vast amounts of characters and doing them well. I'd definitely buy them.

If they do them right, I would pick them up for sure. I was just thinking on this more. I was looking forward to the indiana jones figures too, but didn't pick them up due to the articulation and halfway decent detail. Thats just my opinion. To me the indiana jones face sculpt doesn't scream harrison ford, but oscar the grouch especially in the eyes. The marvel 3 3/4 inchers are doing justice to that line (mostly, but what I don't like can be skipped due to the preexisting toybiz line, like the human torch as one example). I am holding out for Deadpool, Sabretooth, Omega Red, and Cable figures as well as the original x-force characters.) I got my fingers crossed.

With LOTR, I think if hasbro does go through with anything at all they will wait for the hobbit to come out. I doubt they will go all out at first like they did with Indiana Jones (hopefully they will.)

• 9 months later...

I absolutely love the 6" Toybiz line. Not so much the first few waves, but the late waves that featured nearly Marvel Legends levels of articulation were genius to me.

That said, I'd certainly buy a few 4" LOTR figs if they made a line. Since these would be supporting a Hobbit movie, how about a little teeny Bilbo packed with a Fing Fang Foom sized Smaug? I'm thinking something similar to the upcoming Marvel Legends gigantic battles sets. That would simply kick all kinds of ass. Or Gandalf with a big ole Balrog?

So yeah, this line would suck me in fast, if done right.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I remember when I used to have my Dungeons and Dragons figures. They were great! They were basically 1:18 scale and they had some great characters. There were dwarves, giants, and various mounts, as well as playsets. I definitely think LOTR could pull off a great line, especially if they included gigantic battles, as previously mentioned. biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hm.... if it goes 3 3/4" how small will hobbits be?

If that is the direction it goes I hope the paint job is good and please do it to scale for all figures...which I doubt on both point it will be of certain standard... Much more on pricing too. It would be more ex for 3 3/4" compare to the last LOTR 6" toys....

• 2 weeks later...

Hm.... if it goes 3 3/4" how small will hobbits be?

If that is the direction it goes I hope the paint job is good and please do it to scale for all figures...which I doubt on both point it will be of certain standard... Much more on pricing too. It would be more ex for 3 3/4" compare to the last LOTR 6" toys....

Hobbits would be about 2"(Short Round from Hasbro's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Wave is a good example of what could be done.) Empire Strikes Back Ugnaughts would be a great scale for Dwarves (These are about 1/4-1/2" taller than the Short Round and Phantom Menace Anakin figures) Everyone else would be 3 3/4"- 4" scale. (Remember 3 3/4" was the height of the original Luke Skywalker figure from Kenner. He was one of the shorter humans, but the main character. So the whole line was based around him.) Sauron would be scaled around the 6" mark. What would also be great, provided it was Hasbro that got the license, is we already have a good horse sculpt from the Indiana Jones line. It would be great to add cavalry for army builders in this scale!

• 3 months later...

It's been quiet here lately. I wonder if with 2011 being the 10 year anniversary of the release of "Fellowship of the Ring" and 2012-13 the possible release of "The Hobbit", if any toy company has this license on their minds? I'd love to see Hasbro do a line like they are doing for "Empire Strikes Back" 30th Anniversary for Lord of the Rings 10 year milestone!

• 3 months later...

I'm actually going to start getting back into the six inch figures of marvel and uch what I really want to see is sideshow's orc pitmaster statue made into a 4 or 6 inch figure as well as a few goblins oh and a 19 inch toy/playset of smog from the hobit here's a pick of sideshow's orc pitmaster orc he would look so cool as a six inch toy with a schimitar and battle axe or...a scythepitmaster_figure.jpg

lets say if the star wars team would do it then i am willing to start again and armybuild a little bit but other then this, i would never trade my nice toybiz collection with a less detailed sculpt. i am all for it because my neca balrog would fit nicely. as i say it has to be done good and detailed because toybiz did a fantastic job. sad that they are no more because they were getting better and better every year