2008 Wave 12

Neutron

Yeah. There'll be a Cobra Commander. He was listed as a CC with red element on bigbadtoystore.com but no image yet.

He was in wave 8 already. I guess they're re-releasing him to coincide with the other two elements. That's actually a pretty good idea.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I guess I need to rant here. I have no problem with all the repaints, heck I have enjoyed several of them, but what’s up with releasing figures that where already released in a comic pack? I already bought trip wire and now thanks to the addition of the mass device piece I will have to buy this one too. I am getting the felling that Hasbro is scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Either that or they are looking to maximize profit.

I know I don’t have to buy anything Hasbro puts out. I know that Hasbro is having a really rough time selling items due to the economy. I even know Hasbro has been hard at work keeping this infused with life. Yet I have to wonder what marketing geniuses felt that a strait repack of an already released figure, was good thing? Come on couldn’t they have, at the very least, changed the paint application on the repacks?

I am starting to see a trend here. Just take a look at the Star Wars line. The repacks have gotten out of hand there too.

Ok my ranting is over; now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Samantha #US1#

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=13394

It's not a terribly inspirational wave. I guess it's one of those filler waves they put out while they put some effort into the good figures. This one is loaded with repaints galore. Usually, I gave a repaint at least some consideration but this time around I'm not sure if any of these are for me ...other than the Cobra Trooper with the red insignia who I've been waiting to see on a single card.

Here is the wave:

Tripwire (Desert) with meteor element: I can't tell what exactly is different about him but I am wishing I'd held off on buying the comic pack with him in it because I only wanted Tripwire and don't really care about a caped Cobra Commander. I'm a bit disappointed here because I was hoping for a Tiger Force Tripwire.

Stormshadow with ninja gear: An easy pass. I know its an old song, but how many of this guy do we need?

Cobra Diver: Actually, I'd like this guy too.

Cobra Trooper with red logo: I'll buy a few of these.

Python Patrol Crimson Guard: I'm not one of those hardliners for whom the Crimson Guard has to be crimson, but this is just pretty garish.

Dreadnok Ripper: I've never cared for the dreadnoks so I'll pass this one over as I've passed on all the others.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=13394

It's not a terribly inspirational wave. I guess it's one of those filler waves they put out while they put some effort into the good figures. This one is loaded with repaints galore. Usually, I gave a repaint at least some consideration but this time around I'm not sure if any of these are for me ...other than the Cobra Trooper with the red insignia who I've been waiting to see on a single card.

Here is the wave:

Tripwire (Desert) with meteor element: I can't tell what exactly is different about him but I am wishing I'd held off on buying the comic pack with him in it because I only wanted Tripwire and don't really care about a caped Cobra Commander. I'm a bit disappointed here because I was hoping for a Tiger Force Tripwire.

Stormshadow with ninja gear: An easy pass. I know its an old song, but how many of this guy do we need?

Cobra Diver: Actually, I'd like this guy too.

Cobra Trooper with red logo: I'll buy a few of these.

Python Patrol Crimson Guard: I'm not one of those hardliners for whom the Crimson Guard has to be crimson, but this is just pretty garish.

Dreadnok Ripper: I've never cared for the dreadnoks so I'll pass this one over as I've passed on all the others.

I never liked the python patrol items when they where first released. After looking at the Crimson guard here I think I know why.

Samantha #US1#

Edited by Samantha

At 8.00 a figure I'm done with Modern GI Joe. Looking at this wave makes me realize I'm not missing much. Really. 8.00??? for a wave full of repaints? Really?

On a side note, why the heck did I have to sign up for a new account and then the site tell me my username (Phanstar) is already taken? What is ENI? I'm so confused. If someone wants to PM me and help that would be great.

I am getting the felling that Hasbro is... looking to maximize profit.

I know that Hasbro is having a really rough time selling items due to the economy. I even know Hasbro has been hard at work keeping this infused with life.

Those right there are the three big problems with every toyline on the market right now. They want profit in a bad economy. That generally means they'll put the most effort into whatever product they think is going to get the most money, then let the rest slide a little.

As we've seen, this generally means that the vehicles will be awesome, but the figures will vary wildly.

Yet I have to wonder what marketing geniuses felt that a strait repack of an already released figure, was good thing? Come on couldn’t they have, at the very least, changed the paint application on the repacks?

But four of the six (seven, if the Cobra Commander rumor is true) repacks DO have different paint, and reactions are still very mixed. There's really nothing that will guarantee sales on a repack figure. If someone doesn't want to buy something (again), then they won't, and no amount of paint apps or new accessories will change that.

Also, the pictures indicate that this Tripwire might (MIGHT) have the flat padding that everyone wanted to begin with. It's not much, but it's something. Personally, I'd rather have that than Tiger Force or Listen & Fun Tripwire any day... and a few international figures aside, I don't think there are really too many other possible repaints for Tripwire.

It's funny how when the fourth repaint wave comes along the majority of us go nuts complaining that it's the end of the world and forget that inbetween these repaint waves are three waves that are made up of mostly all new parts.

Part of the reason there are so many reused parts this far along is because most of Hasbro's design team is working on the movie line and there is not much they can put into what we are seeing now. There is probably very little to no new sculpting going into what will come out between now and when the movie figures start. The scupters are mostly on the movie loine now and that just leaves a smaller group to decide and create what will be made in the meantime.

Most of the repaints and repackaged figures are made because there was a large enough group that asked for them. Tripwire and the Dreadnoks were wanted in single packs because some people only want to collect single packs. There is a big enough group wanting cartoon figures so they are released here and there and easy to make by just repainting them. Lots of people have been wanting a single pack Trooper with the red insignia since the first Cobra 5 pack. The Trooper and Officer have been released numerous times with either black, red or gray masks. This one just happens to be red this time. A large group wants Tiger Force and Python Patrol so we get them every once in awhile.

Just remeber that jsut because they are not what you want does not mean there is not a good reason for them being made and Hasbro is not being dumb or doing it because they don't care about the collectors. It's actually the opposite. These are being made because they do care and are giving us what we want even if it is not what the majority wants all the time.

Either that or they are looking to maximize profit.

Yeah. Darn the evil Hasbro daemon! How dare they think about maximizing profits! It's not like they are in this business to make money! Don't they know that profits shouldn't matter! It's all about giving us collectors what we want for as little money as possible! Heck! While we are at it, why don't we condemn them for charging us at all? *end sarcasm*

Seriously. Repaint heavy waves like this don't bother me. Its expected. If they are going to repaint figures, I'd rather see them make a Python CG or Storm Shadow repaint #23 (which I don't want and won't buy so it saves me money) than say a new Interrogator using a repainted CG body or Kamakura using SS or something similar. The repaints get old to me when they use the same body for 12 different characters... but I can live with it if it is just a repaint of an already existing character. I feel kind of obligated to buy the new characters, just to fill in that hole in the lineup, but if it’s just a crappy repaint, why should that bother me? I can judge if I like that repaint and if I don’t, ultimately it just saves me money.

Now what does irk me is what they have been doing since JvC which is packaging a new never before seen character with a crappy repaint. The Mainframe/Beachhead Comic Pack comes to mind. Or the IG Destro/IG comic pack. In cases like that I get pretty irritated. Mainly because I am forced to pay $10 for one figure. But I don’t get mad at Hasbro for doing it. It really is marketing genius. This is the kind of thing that makes me want to start (and understand) figure swaping.

It's funny how when the fourth repaint wave comes along the majority of us go nuts complaining that it's the end of the world and forget that inbetween these repaint waves are three waves that are made up of mostly all new parts.

Part of the reason there are so many reused parts this far along is because most of Hasbro's design team is working on the movie line and there is not much they can put into what we are seeing now. There is probably very little to no new sculpting going into what will come out between now and when the movie figures start. The scupters are mostly on the movie loine now and that just leaves a smaller group to decide and create what will be made in the meantime.

I don't really think this is the case. These repaint waves have been happening every 4th wave for awhile. I think thinking the movie line having anything to do with this is jumping to conclusions. Each wave of figures is tooled many many months in advance. There are probably dozens of figures that are already sculpted and set to go for the 25th line (or what ever you want to call this line now) that we have no idea about yet. Yes the sculptors are probably just about done with this line and are probably already working on the movie line, but I'm pretty sure the movie line isn't interfearing with the workon this line at all. After all there isn't going to be an over lap of the two lines. I'd like to think their full attention had been devoted to the 25th line up until they started workign on the movie line.

Yeah. Darn the evil Hasbro daemon! How dare they think about maximizing profits! It's not like they are in this business to make money! Don't they know that profits shouldn't matter! It's all about giving us collectors what we want for as little money as possible! Heck! While we are at it, why don't we condemn them for charging us at all? *end sarcasm*

Seriously. Repaint heavy waves like this don't bother me. Its expected. If they are going to repaint figures, I'd rather see them make a Python CG or Storm Shadow repaint #23 (which I don't want and won't buy so it saves me money) than say a new Interrogator using a repainted CG body or Kamakura using SS or something similar. The repaints get old to me when they use the same body for 12 different characters... but I can live with it if it is just a repaint of an already existing character. I feel kind of obligated to buy the new characters, just to fill in that hole in the lineup, but if it’s just a crappy repaint, why should that bother me? I can judge if I like that repaint and if I don’t, ultimately it just saves me money.

Now what does irk me is what they have been doing since JvC which is packaging a new never before seen character with a crappy repaint. The Mainframe/Beachhead Comic Pack comes to mind. Or the IG Destro/IG comic pack. In cases like that I get pretty irritated. Mainly because I am forced to pay $10 for one figure. But I don’t get mad at Hasbro for doing it. It really is marketing genius. This is the kind of thing that makes me want to start (and understand) figure swaping.

I wish they would just do something like an IG 2 pack. They would sell more that way and it would help the figure swapping problem too. I don't mind Main-Frame and that Beach Head together because I think that Beach Head looks more like the v1 Beach Head. I like the Beach Head we already got but I like this new one too, and I like the second head. Army builders especially should not be in 2 packs though unless they are two army builders. Most of the time though these new guys with an old guy get relesed again somewhere else making possible to get them without having to just rely on the 2 packs. The line is still only a year old so it will take time for everything to pop up again.

I don't really think this is the case. These repaint waves have been happening every 4th wave for awhile. I think thinking the movie line having anything to do with this is jumping to conclusions. Each wave of figures is tooled many many months in advance. There are probably dozens of figures that are already sculpted and set to go for the 25th line (or what ever you want to call this line now) that we have no idea about yet. Yes the sculptors are probably just about done with this line and are probably already working on the movie line, but I'm pretty sure the movie line isn't interfearing with the workon this line at all. After all there isn't going to be an over lap of the two lines. I'd like to think their full attention had been devoted to the 25th line up until they started workign on the movie line.

Looking back on the previous wave though there was that Cobra Flint, Pilot Scarlett and the Eel at least. There was complaining for that wave because of there being too many repaints. I think from here on out there will be more repaints in each wave and not just exclusive to the every fourth wave. There may not be many more waves anyway to see what happens.

25TH ANNIVERSARY REPAINTS?!? NOT ON MY WATCH.

I don't mind them. If there's one i don't want, I won't buy it. But some are neat, like the properly designed Tripwire, the Cobra Diver and the Cobra Trooper. And for those who like the theme, Python Patrol CG. I wish they'd revive the RAHC Python Patrol pattern, but this'll do for those people who really like that goofy, classic sort of thing.

Tom

aeyebrowjc1.gif

Harshness

I really like this line. I know we've had alot of Storm Shadow figures before now, but I really like this one.

Trip-Wire looks the same as the two-pack, but I will get him for the element.

Ripper- I will pass, but I have seen people mention wanting a cartoon colored version.

Cobra Diver- I like, will be getting him

Repaints Repaints Repaints. LOLOLOL

save your cash because the next comic pack waves (not wave5) will have some cool figures...... if you like repaints? I like the figures but what was so great about Joes back when we were kids was, how every figure was his/her own, he/she did not have the same clothing as everyone else. All the gear they carried was special.... one of a kind. You could take a screw driver to them to cutomize. Today if you lose Storm Shadows bow you can just buy a Red Ninja and replace it. When you can replace a weapon on a figure so easy its no diffrent when a person makes repros of the original Firefly walkie or better yet Heavy Metals mic.... you know its only a copy. Trying to customize the new figs are a pain in the back side these days, a lot of sharp tools are needed along with some puttying or sculpting skills The new figures do not have that feeling. Its come to the point where toys are about selling quantity not quality. From an old school fan who has collected way before 3 3/4 and "kinda of works in the industry" Its sad to see a line like G.I. Joe go down the tubes (very slowly) simply because some ppl feel thats its better to maximize tooling costs. Think about this, How many of you collected STAR BRIGADE :DUKE, DESTRO, ROBO JOE maybe BATS? Purple guns and fruity vipers is what killed it. My kids would not know about GIJOE if it was not for me (like WE know it) When they look at my collection they do not look at there collection the same way. That spark is gone, not just from them but from alot of "people" I speak to "in the industry" who collect or use to collect. At the end of the day if my boss knew I was on line bitchin and moanin about G.I. JOE I would get fired....but as a fan I hear what ppl have to say and hope that future changes will come, more for older fans than newer fans. Sounds selfish but some of the younger generation who did not play with GIJOE like we did now work for in the industry and they like to think they know GI JOE.

GIJOE is not just a toy its our youth. That is why we collect it...to remeber a better time (no bills, rent)..... lol you know what I mean. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope you guys will enjoy the next wave. till then YOOOOO JOE!!!

Crim

Today if you lose Storm Shadows bow you can just buy a Red Ninja and replace it. When you can replace a weapon on a figure so easy its no diffrent when a person makes repros of the original Firefly walkie or better yet Heavy Metals mic.... you know its only a copy.

I agree with your overall point, but I wouldn't go so far as to say doing this is "copying" anything. They just mass-produce these weapons and throw 'em in with whatever character they decide they go with. I can get pretty OC about this stuff but replacing an accessory with the same accessory wouldn't bother me!

But yeah, it would be nice if everything was unique like the old days. I don't even care about the weapons - at least make the bodies unique! Oh well...

aeyebrowjc1.gif

Harshness

What's so harsh about it? That's the way we act around here. We as collectors tend to forget that the name of the game for Hasbro is profits and money. There are A LOT of things that Hasbro does that we don't approve of (repaints, distribution problems, etc) but for the most part, they do what they can to make us happy... for example fixing articulation on certain figures (Stalker's diaper crotch, short sleeves on TF Flint, improved Duke arms.. though it took them long enough on that one), finding a way to offer us a huge variety of characters through repaints (and while the repaints get old the vast majority work decently enough), fixing paint schemes when they are not up to our standards (lime green Stalker, puke face Zartan) and they even go so far as to completly redesign characters that we are not happy with (Desert assault Major Bludd, classic Zartan).

The Joe design team walks a very fine line between pleasing their bosses (IE to make the line profitable) and pleasing us by giving us what we want. But we have to face it... The corporate big wigs ultimatly don't give a rat's a$$ about what we want (up to the point that it starts hitting their bottom line). I personally feel that the design team has gone above and beyond for us as collectors on this line. They obviously listen to us because they DO fix a LOT of the things we complain about. But in all reality, that's just a bonus. They don't have to fix those things at all. I'm sure they get hell from their bosses when they are like "We really need to fix the articulation on the Baroness mold. The collectors tell us she can't sit." To which I'm sure the big wigs are like "HOW MUCH IS THAT GOING TO COST US?!?!?!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that like it or not, Hasbro as a whole is only in this for as long as they are turning a profit. Its great that they try to listen to us and give us what we ask for, but repaint waves like this are just part of what we have to accept. I'm not saying we shouldn't complain, because OBVIOUSLY they listen to those complaints and try to fix things.. but I just don't feel like this is something worth complaining about. Repaints are a way of life and complaining is not going to change that.

aeyebrowjc1.gif

Harshness

What's so harsh about it? That's the way we act around here. We as collectors tend to forget that the name of the game for Hasbro is profits and money. There are A LOT of things that Hasbro does that we don't approve of (repaints, distribution problems, etc) but for the most part, they do what they can to make us happy... for example fixing articulation on certain figures (Stalker's diaper crotch, short sleeves on TF Flint, improved Duke arms.. though it took them long enough on that one), finding a way to offer us a huge variety of characters through repaints (and while the repaints get old the vast majority work decently enough), fixing paint schemes when they are not up to our standards (lime green Stalker, puke face Zartan) and they even go so far as to completly redesign characters that we are not happy with (Desert assault Major Bludd, classic Zartan).

The Joe design team walks a very fine line between pleasing their bosses (IE to make the line profitable) and pleasing us by giving us what we want. But we have to face it... The corporate big wigs ultimatly don't give a rat's a$$ about what we want (up to the point that it starts hitting their bottom line). I personally feel that the design team has gone above and beyond for us as collectors on this line. They obviously listen to us because they DO fix a LOT of the things we complain about. But in all reality, that's just a bonus. They don't have to fix those things at all. I'm sure they get hell from their bosses when they are like "We really need to fix the articulation on the Baroness mold. The collectors tell us she can't sit." To which I'm sure the big wigs are like "HOW MUCH IS THAT GOING TO COST US?!?!?!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that like it or not, Hasbro as a whole is only in this for as long as they are turning a profit. Its great that they try to listen to us and give us what we ask for, but repaint waves like this are just part of what we have to accept. I'm not saying we shouldn't complain, because OBVIOUSLY they listen to those complaints and try to fix things.. but I just don't feel like this is something worth complaining about. Repaints are a way of life and complaining is not going to change that.

@lol@

I think somebody needs a hug?

Ok...I understand what you're venting about, and I didn't really need an explanation over your contention with others comments, (the whole theory behind why hasbro makes toys and how hard they're really trying) I just thought the sarcasm was kinda uncalled for, especially considering WHO it was aimmed at, which is somebody NEW and somebody who I have yet to sense is some sort of immature, smart alec, know-it-all or chronic, annoying, constant complainer.

I push THAT envelop myself, :P so if somebody wants to take pot shots at me, when I'm ranting illogically about toys and the trials and tribulations of collecting them and ignoring the actual business matters behind them and using improper definitions to describe my emotions and other such faux pas, that's fine! I'm a big boy and been around awhile. I just didn't think the target here, was all that deserving of bearing the brunt of the sarcastic rant. ;)

Some grips are taken just a little TOO personally and literally, and not everyone is a master at typing into words (for others to read)..their EXACT thoughts, in the most eloquent of ways. Knee jerks go on a lot around here, and it doesn't help that Hasbro is doing so much boo hoo'ing at these conventions about the complainers, and trying to send out forces to spread the word of peace, love and understanding. :rolleyes:

They don't hang out and participate HERE...WE do! Hasbro should let Hasbro handle what Hasbro handles best, and we'll handle what little we handle best on our end. We tend to get a little carried away sometimes, but SO WHAT?

on the flip side of what KamenDreda is saying....

What if the Joe team designers aren't "listening" to us to make us "happy"... what if they are actually making the changes we want just to sell another figure to us that we shouldn't have to buy??

Say with Flint... they aren't dumb, they knew that we all want short sleeves before they even released wave 1. Now, what if they say, "Hey, if we change those sleeves to short ones, we will sell another figure.. and instead of having to make an entirely new figure, we just have to make some arms."

Or, "hey, remember when we messed up and gave stalker a diaper crotch.. well now we will give him a regular crotch! BINGO BANGO baby! Just sold an extra figure and all we had to do was modify a crotch instead of molding a brand new figure.... that'll make the suits upstairs happy."

LOL

on the flip side of what KamenDreda is saying....

What if the Joe team designers aren't "listening" to us to make us "happy"... what if they are actually making the changes we want just to sell another figure to us that we shouldn't have to buy??

Say with Flint... they aren't dumb, they knew that we all want short sleeves before they even released wave 1. Now, what if they say, "Hey, if we change those sleeves to short ones, we will sell another figure.. and instead of having to make an entirely new figure, we just have to make some arms."

Or, "hey, remember when we messed up and gave stalker a diaper crotch.. well now we will give him a regular crotch! BINGO BANGO baby! Just sold an extra figure and all we had to do was modify a crotch instead of molding a brand new figure.... that'll make the suits upstairs happy."

LOL

@grumpy@ Those dirty bastards!!!

I can hear the Hasbro God upstairs laughing...

WAAAH..HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!!

oldmanlaughingbf7.png

Ok I guess my little ranting has created a lot of (well lets just call it) debate. Personally I don’t buy what I don’t like. There are a lot of the new Joe items that I have left swinging on the pegs. My original complaint came from my deeply personal feelings about a few of the things I don’t like about this new wave. That all said, I am not offended by any comments made thus far, we have the right to say what ever we feel and in what ever mature way we see fit. I am enjoying the new releases. I love the new BATS as well as the new Lady Jay sculpt from the DVD pack. I feel that, as a whole, Hasbro is doing a fine job with the New GI Joe line.

My personal opinion is simply that personal. If it has hit a cord with others well for that I can’t be blamed. I after all am only a meager consumer, who is starting to feel like the wool is being pulled over my eyes. So as many have stated, I will exercise my only power given to me, I won’t buy. I just hope that my feelings aren’t shared by to many others and come summer of 2009 this wave is not still clogging the pegs.

Have a nice day

Hugs

Samantha

P.S. I love you guys, as long as we keep debating and talking maybe GI Joe 25th will be around for another 25 years.