News on GL and JLA future movies

Wheeljack35

The IESB has an early look at Greg Berlanti's The Green Lantern plus updates on George Miller's Justice League of America.

A few years ago, we reviewed the GL script Robert Smigel wrote with comedian Jack Black in mind -- D.C. and Warner Bros. wisely decided against going down that route, maybe we had something to do with that when we #$## all over it, read our review here.

But, there has been quite of bit of buzz lately coming from Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green's newest take on the Green Lantern and I managed to find a copy in my hands.

Let me start off with saying that within just reading the first few pages, I knew Berlanti, Guggenheim and Green had gotten the character right.

I don't want to do a traditional script review, instead I want to give IESB readers more of a sense of the story by going through some plot details and my thoughts on the screenplay. Wait a minute, that is a review. Let it begin...

It starts off with the revelation of Oa and The Central Battery with a voice over narration explaining that 1) there are extraterrestrials that protect the universe, 2) they have power rings, 3) there are thousands of Green Lanterns and 4) one of us has become one of them.

We go from one part of the universe to another and find ourselves in a familiar Solar System…our own.

Before I share some of the details let's do a quick character list of those we will see in the movie if this script gets the "green" light.

Martin Jordan

Hal Jordan/Green Lantern

Thomas Kalmuka

Carl Ferris

Carol Ferris

Kilowog

Tomar-Re

Abin Sur

Thaal Sinestro

The Guardians

Legion

Hector Hammond

A few cameos include a certain mild mannered reporter from the Daily Planet, a certain college football coach with the last name of Gardner (who we are promised in the script we will see more of in the second film) and loads of other characters sure to keep fanboys orgasmic throughout.

Back to the script - The story follows the traditional Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story lines to a certain degree including the battle between Legion and Abin Sur, Abin Sur's crash landing on Earth, as well as the choosing of Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.

Parts are straight out of the Emerald Dawn series including Jordan's simulator being ripped out of the training center and flown to a dying Abin Sur and Hal Jordan going to Oa to help defeat Legion.

The major difference is in the Sinestro character arch. I don't want to give too much away but the writers were very careful to stay true to the character without blowing their load on the first film.

The other difference is also introducing Hector Hammond into the story line and making him the big threat to Earth or Gaia if you prefer.

From the first major beat of the story - that is sure to bring a tear - to the revelations at the end of the movie that easily set up prequels as well as sequels this script has it all. Also, unlike other recent superhero movies, this Green Lantern story has science fiction elements such as visiting other planets and major space battles.

It's a quick read and is a mere 109 pages but is action packed from the beginning to end. It has the potential to be bigger than Iron Man or maybe even The Dark Knight.

The script, if greenlit, is a sure-fire hit for fan boys, but in scale it's big, VERY big, and we are hearing rumors that it may be too big for the director currently attached, Greg Berlanti.

But who would the studio trust to take on a franchise of this size?

First, let me say that the studio execs love this GL script, they really dig it - and get it which is always important - and word is they are prepared to spend a pretty penny.

Changing gears for a sec, let's see what's currently going on with Justice League of America. Last week there were reports that the movie is finally moving forward. Guess what - that's not what we heard.

IESB found out the complete opposite from various sources at WB -- the movie will not move forward in its current incarnation and a lot has to do with the success of The Dark Knight. Warner Bros. is not willing to risk pissing off Christopher Nolan or Christian Bale and their intent would be to move forward with a third Batman film instead of introducing another Batman in a JLA film.

Officially WB is stating that Justice League of America is on hold due to the potential SAG strike. We have been advised from various sources that the truth is that George Miller has been pulled off the project. We have contacted all parties involved including Kennedy/Miller and other producers but they have declined to comment at this time.

So does that mean that Miller is out of a job? Nope, we have been told that some execs over at Warner Bros. would like Miller to take over The Green Lantern project. Any truth to the rumor? Only time will tell but one thing is certain in my purest fan boy opinion - this script totally kicks ass!

WOW! Great review Wheeljack! Ok, 1st i'll say that YES, that script out line does sound pretty good. The only consern i'd have is all this talk about epic space battles.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be wicked to see GL do his thing in space, but from what Wheeljack said it kinda sounded like the bulk of the fight & FX will take place in space perticulery near Oa fighting Legion or Sinestro.

IMO I think it'd be better (for continuty & human relating sake), to keep GL some what linked to Earth. Meaning for the 1st film let's see GL wip up all thoes constructs on Earth. That way when we see let's say a gigantic green crane (an earth vehicule), it'll have more meaning on earth IMO. hmmm, I just wonder.

Maby that the issue here. thats just what the makers are hoping to avoid! If this is a space film then we would'nt expect to see constructs so much. Instead we'd be more accecpting of the notion of "lazer" (hehe I always feel like Dr. Evil when I say that) fire & cutting swords & defence bubble constructs. In other words, if the majority of this film is held in space, then its safe to say Jordan will use his ring more like John Steward. which for me anyway, might not be so bad (constructs are cool & all, but its not what realy draws me to the GL Corps).

But wheather its a space baced movie or earth baced, I want to walk away from this flim REALY FEELING like I understand just how effin deadly & distructive these rings are. After all who has'nt gotten a ring out of a bubble gum machine before? & that's just the subconsicence attitude a lot of people will have about the thought of a "power ring". I mean the very sound of it comes off a lil ghey.

Oh yeah & one more bit of advice about how to make it. If you do go the space movie route & you don't get it right, then get ready to have people say "its just like Star Wars, but instead of light sabers they use rings". That's why I think it'd be good for the 1st one to be near earth, & if u use constructs it'll seem that much less like SW.

the GL flick sounds great..

as for JLA... can't they figure out a way to get the current Bale Batman in it? Doesn't seem too difficult for me for them to get Bale and Routh in it as Bats and Supes...

comic fans like that sorta thing..