Is Hasbro going to switch to 3.75" Marvel figures completely?

TeenWolf

• 5 weeks later...

Was wondering where the Holocaust wave was so I checked out the wiki for Marvel Legends. This is what it says.

Holocaust, an X-men villain from an alternate timeline who was trapped in the "real" one, is the focus of this line. Rising plastics costs, after this line, will lead to Build-A-Figures only being exclusive to store chains, and the eventual cancelation of the lines to prepare for Fury's Files, a 3 3/4 inch focusing line.

What do they mean by Build-A-Figures only being exclusive to store chains. Do they mean Both Wal-Mart and Target will not be carrying the same wave?

Was wondering where the Holocaust wave was so I checked out the wiki for Marvel Legends. This is what it says.

Holocaust, an X-men villain from an alternate timeline who was trapped in the "real" one, is the focus of this line. Rising plastics costs, after this line, will lead to Build-A-Figures only being exclusive to store chains, and the eventual cancelation of the lines to prepare for Fury's Files, a 3 3/4 inch focusing line.

What do they mean by Build-A-Figures only being exclusive to store chains. Do they mean Both Wal-Mart and Target will not be carrying the same wave?

What it means is that, as has been posted a million times on a million forums, anyone who wants to can post on wikipedia. Doesn't mean it's true.

Hasbro would never say they were going to "eventually" cancel something. They'd either say it is in fact cancelled or keep their mouths shut.

That said, the Holocaust and Ares waves are Walmart exclusives. The Red Hulk wave is a Target exclusive.

I'm going to have to see these first. I was kinda hyped about the selection of DC Infinite Heroes until I actually saw them in person, talk about buzz kill. I also hope that they fit in with the Showdown figures, because those were some great 3 3/4" figures from a sculpting stand point. The 6" figures will be around for a while longer because we will keep buying the same figures with different head sculpts (SHEILD agents and Hand Ninjas, anyone?). Both lines can prosper together and we can get the best of both worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 3 3/4 line will probably end up replacing the ML line, but not for the reasons mentioned. Has anyone noticed the increase in price for the GI Joe figs at Target? 9.89 now.

If the 3 3/4 line is going to be anywhere near $10.00 a piece, the ML's have to go so people don't question the value of the 3 3/4 line. Otherwise the ML's will have to be 15-20 bucks a pop.

As long as ML's exist there is a price ceiling for the smaller figures.

BTW: Has anyone noticed the price increase on the DC Infinities figures? TRU has them at 7.99 now. The exclusive 6-pack is 34.99, and the 8 pack is 49.99. If those crappy figures can be sold for 8 bucks imagine what hasbro is gonna think they can do.

No wonder Hasbro and Mattel were able to post profits in this economic crisis!

Actually Target has Joes on sale for $4.99 through the 24th of November, DCU Infintes on sale for $3.99, and up until recently ALL Marvel Legends waves priced at $14.99 (Brood or Blob anyone?). Now granted they did just do a mark down so that only the Hulk waves are that high (like Wal-Mart), they still only marked those older waves back "down" to $9.99! As far as TRU goes, I used to work for them, and let me tell you what; they're crazy.

Honestly I haven't even thought about Marvel Legends since Hasbro took over. It has always felt to me like they either don't know what to do with the line, or they don't really care (for lack of better words!) ^_^ I think they've got a lot of Transformer and Star Wars and G.I. Joe money coming in so they don't feel too hard-pressed to make the Marvel line stand out. (Note, I am not bashing Hasbro here, I'm just offering a theory of their current business model.) If the 6" line dies, so be it. I really won't miss it at this point. Yeah, I never got some of the random characters I like (Blink!), but then again when you have Marvel writers shaking the Marvel Universe to its foundations with world-shattering crossover after world-shattering crossover for over a year and snuffing out characters by the handful or just getting bored and writing them out (Chris Claremont! Blink! @cussing@ ), it's not really surprising if the accompanying toy line is hard to sort out and/or ill-received. If I see a 3.75" figure that looks good, poses well, and fits within my collection and budget I might buy it, but for now I'd say as far as Marvel toys go, I'm over it.

The 6" guys will always look better MOC and may even be better toys individually (nothings more fun than a quality 12" Joe or a Sigma 6 Snake-Eyes), but the over-all potential of the line increases dramatically at the smaller scale. Kids and collectors can get more of them, and retail space opens up for vehicles (Quinjet and X-men's Blackbird anyone?) and playsets. For the loose collector, the potential for dios opens up because of space requirements and the fact that it's easier to find stuff for the 1/18 scale.

A 6" Wolvie will likely be better than a 4" one, but see how much fun it would be to use props from Marauders, Inc and some generic G.I. Joes in a battle with a berserker Fury Files Weapon X! No one needs to 'start over'-- ML collectors can enjoy the rare nirvana that is closure. And then, if they really like toys, they can try something new. I don't think Hasbro would ever have started ML at the 6" scale-- it's kinda a throw back to the '90s when oil was cheaper and sculpting was less advanced. I think they would have had a standard 4" scale with plenting of interaction and vehicles, and also a super-deluxe collector-loving 12" line that would have put the ML Icons line to shame. I'm not an insider of anything-- its just what we've seem already with Star Wars and Joe for the last decade.

• 11 months later...

I am completely outraged that they have switched to this horrible 3.75 inch scale. What is this, 1984? Are these supposed to go with my G.I. Joes from 25 years ago which I no longer have? Come on, I have spent a bunch of money on a ton of Legends figures and now feel like I've been cheated by Marvel/Hasbro. No fans were asking for this scale change were they? Was anyone clamoring at any of the cons for this nonsense? Legends has been one of the most successful toy lines in history, why would they just change it? It doesn't make sense. Plus, there were SO many more characters they could have done in the 6 inch scale and also characters which should have a received a second treatment, such as Scarlet Witch, Magneto, White Queen, etc. What were they thinking?

lonmg as they keep making 3inch size marvel figures i'm happy. if i cant have 6inch marvel i'll retire them and restart collecting the awesome marvel universe, spiderman, ironman 2 33/4 figs. granted i will be getting the spectacular spiderman figures (recently got the new doc ock and shocker) i'm still hunting late in the game for rhino and electro from that animated toyline. other than that, hasbro should keep making those 3inch figures as i am a fan of them. a BIG fan. and i'm no fool. because unlike some of you guys i embrace change.

• Like 1

I am completely outraged that they have switched to this horrible 3.75 inch scale. What is this, 1984? Are these supposed to go with my G.I. Joes from 25 years ago which I no longer have? Come on, I have spent a bunch of money on a ton of Legends figures and now feel like I've been cheated by Marvel/Hasbro. No fans were asking for this scale change were they? Was anyone clamoring at any of the cons for this nonsense? Legends has been one of the most successful toy lines in history, why would they just change it? It doesn't make sense. Plus, there were SO many more characters they could have done in the 6 inch scale and also characters which should have a received a second treatment, such as Scarlet Witch, Magneto, White Queen, etc. What were they thinking?

Wow way to resurrect a zombie thread! Plus add nothing relevant to the current times. G.I. Joe is still around.

The only place here that sells 6 inch Marvel Legends is Toys R Us. Obviously it is no long as popular as some of the ML fanatics claim. My Walmart still has Legends sitting on clearance from last year.

I think that's because Hasbro didn't want to keep up the same level of quality that Toybiz had established (I'm talking paint apps mainly). Not to mention the horrible sculpts they kept coming out with.

You look at those two waves of Legendary Heroes that Marvel Toys came out with when Hasbro took over, and I feel they were better than everything Hasbro had ever put out in their Marvel Legends line.