I Might Be Alone In This...

Neutron

I just bought the comic pack with Lt. Falcon in it, and I have to confess, I really like this figure.

I know, given all the heat this guy's received on message boards, I might be alone here, but I really dig it. Here's the good and bad...

The Good:

1. He's a cool convincing green beret. I don't know enough to be able to judge his authenticity, but I look at him and he looks believeable to me. I've always dug the Joes who looked the most military like Falcon, Ripcord, General Hawk as opposed to say Sci-Fi or Chuckles.

2. He's got a huge Rambo knife!

3. He's got the best back pack out of anybody! It opens up! It's got stuff in it!

The Bad:

1. Yeah. The Duke arms are there. This topic has been talked about to death and honestly the Duke arms have never ruined a figure for me. My main problem with them is that they can't be positioned easily ....if at all... to hold a rifle with both hands.

2. I wish the camo job had been more crisp. It is a bit washed out and not as sharp as Stalker's but as I live with him, it bothers me less and less.

3. This is a real pet peeve of mine, but if a figure has a holster or knife sheathe, he should come with the gun or knife to fill it. Maybe the whole budget was blown on the cool back pack, but Falcon has a holster and no gun to fill it. I took the gun I'd given Ace and gave it to Falcon. Ace is WAAYY too ugly anyway. A gun wasn't doing him any favors.

4. He comes with that ugly useless Nemesis whatever it is. I hate all things Cobra-La.

On a side note, I remember Falcon from my last days as a Joe fan back when I was a kid. He came along late in the game for me and so I only remember him from one of the last Joe movies. I think it was the one where he actually joins. In that one, Falcon was portrayed as a troubled, rebellious punk. This is very different from how he's described in his file card. Did Falcon ever make it into the comic book? If so, how was he portrayed? Are there any other Joes who's personality in the RAH cartoon differed from the personality on their filecard?

Thanks.

I have to agree with you. He's not as bad as everyone says. THere are worse 25th figures (Ace, Steeler, Gung Ho, Destro V1). Falcon doesn't bother me that much. He's not perfect but he doesn't suck.

THere are worse 25th figures (Ace, Steeler, Gung Ho, Destro V1).

Maybe I'm just very forgiving but out of those four you mention the only one I really have a problem with is Ace, who I just find irredeemably ugly and the absolute worst figure of the line so far. I'm perfectly satisfied with that Destro and my only problem with Gung Ho is that, like Falcon, his camo is too washed out. Plus, that unnecessary hinge in his gun makes it hopelessly flimsy.

I haven't bought an Armadillo yet so I can't completely comment on Steeler. My expectations based on the pics is that while he may not look much like the original Steeler, he might still succeed as a perfectly acceptable generic Joe. It's pretty much how I feel about Grunt, the biggest disappointment of the original thirteen.

i dont think hes that bad....i guess im just asy to please lol

I don't have a problem with him and would really like to see him in a white and black "digital camo" repaint ala his sonic fighters figure (I think it was the sonic fighter line anyway I could be wrong)> My big problem was the QC on the paint on Falcons head. I must have looked at five or six packs before I found one that was just horrible. The flesh was never painted to the brim of his beret so on a lot of figure he had a green face, looked really bad.

My big problem was the QC on the paint on Falcons head. I must have looked at five or six packs before I found one that was just horrible. The flesh was never painted to the brim of his beret so on a lot of figure he had a green face, looked really bad.

That was my problem with Falcon as well (green bleed from the beret) - and it's been my main gripe about the 25th line from the beginning. The QC - especially on paint jobs - has been so poor. I feel like I can't order any of the new Joes online, since I'm about 80% likely to get figures with bad or iffy paint jobs (especially on the faces and heads). For example, I left eight or nine of the new DVD packs on the shelves (at various stores) before I found a decent Lady Jaye (her eyes and hairline seem to be very problematic), the best Hawk I could find has a brownish blotch on his face, and I still haven't found a VAMP that comes with a decent Clutch (the ones I see either have wonky eyes or severely messed up eyebrows). I know I'm picky (aren't most of us when it comes to our Joes?), but it's getting pretty frustrating.

I haven't seen too much written about this on the boards (maybe I missed it though). Are other collectors having the same problem with the new line?

I was actually defending Falcon back when we saw the early in-package pics, and I still like him. I still maintain that his facial sculpt may not resemble Falcon that much, but it does look quite a bit like John Wayne, a la the movie The Green Berets. I think it's a fantastic little nod/tribute. The figure is the green beret half-brother of a man called 'Duke'- I see it as wholly appropriate to show a little respect to THE Duke.

Other than his empty holster, I have no real complaints about the figure, but I've also noted in other threads that I'm more forgiving than some of my collecting brethren. I love the update to Nemesis as well. The worst thing about the pack, in my opinion, was the horrid comic.

Maybe I'm just very forgiving but out of those four you mention the only one I really have a problem with is Ace, who I just find irredeemably ugly and the absolute worst figure of the line so far. I'm perfectly satisfied with that Destro and my only problem with Gung Ho is that, like Falcon, his camo is too washed out. Plus, that unnecessary hinge in his gun makes it hopelessly flimsy.

I haven't bought an Armadillo yet so I can't completely comment on Steeler. My expectations based on the pics is that while he may not look much like the original Steeler, he might still succeed as a perfectly acceptable generic Joe. It's pretty much how I feel about Grunt, the biggest disappointment of the original thirteen.

Well Ace is, as you have said, pretty aweful. His paint aps make absoultly no sense for the sculpt. Seriously. REALLY look at the sculpt and where the paint aps are and you will see what I meam. Plus his head sculpt is pretty bad too

I really wanted to like Steeler and not let it bother me that he looks nothing like the original but I just can't get past it. All the other Original 13 we have gotten so far are pretty damn good updates (I don't even mind Grunt... though I have switched Grunts head and web gear on to the comic pack green shirt Duke body and it makes him MUCh better IMO). Steeler is just BAD. His head is way to big. Looks like his brain is sweeling to big for his skull. And there is just nothing about his body that even slightly resembles the original.

Gung Ho really isn't THAT bad and he is starting to grow on me... but his hands are horrible. Gung Ho's hands to me are a million times worse than the dreaded duke arms. Strange but even though I HATE them on Gung Ho, they don't bother me on the DD Storm Shadow or Torch. But for whatever reason I HATE them on Gung Ho. Those Arms ruin him.

And Destro V1 is a clunker also because of his hands... That one hand irritates me to no end. And the way his arms stick out and can't be pushed back bothers me too. I can't seem to get him in to a decent pose at all.

Those 4 are by far the worst of the line to me.

Well Ace is, as you have said, pretty aweful. His paint aps make absoultly no sense for the sculpt. Seriously. REALLY look at the sculpt and where the paint aps are and you will see what I meam. Plus his head sculpt is pretty bad too

I really wanted to like Steeler and not let it bother me that he looks nothing like the original but I just can't get past it. All the other Original 13 we have gotten so far are pretty damn good updates (I don't even mind Grunt... though I have switched Grunts head and web gear on to the comic pack green shirt Duke body and it makes him MUCh better IMO). Steeler is just BAD. His head is way to big. Looks like his brain is sweeling to big for his skull. And there is just nothing about his body that even slightly resembles the original.

Gung Ho really isn't THAT bad and he is starting to grow on me... but his hands are horrible. Gung Ho's hands to me are a million times worse than the dreaded duke arms. Strange but even though I HATE them on Gung Ho, they don't bother me on the DD Storm Shadow or Torch. But for whatever reason I HATE them on Gung Ho. Those Arms ruin him.

And Destro V1 is a clunker also because of his hands... That one hand irritates me to no end. And the way his arms stick out and can't be pushed back bothers me too. I can't seem to get him in to a decent pose at all.

Those 4 are by far the worst of the line to me.

Even including suck-pentor?? Thas suprises me.

Ace isn't great, his head is bad, outfit is not quite right, etc. I don't see what you're refering to with the paint apps though.

Steeler's shirt needs to be fixed, no argument there, but other than that he looks fine to me. Oh, and he needs his proper helmet.

Gung-ho I actually have no problem with. For me the hands work with his shotgun (or whatever), but not for Torch (he can't hold his flamethrower properly).

Destro's hand bothers me, but I'm not sue what you mean when you say his arms stick out, just apply a little pressure and they lay flat against his sides.

I have yet to see falcon in the plastic, so I'll reserve judgement till then.

@can@

Even including suck-pentor?? Thas suprises me.

@can@

Ahh... Serpentor... Well, I have zero love for the character so the figures of it don't even register anywhere for me. Serpentor, Dr. Mindbender, and the like were just a little too far into comic book super-villain land for me. Yeah. I know. I'm okay with Destro, BATs, and all the ninja stuff, so I admit I'm drawing the acceptability line pretty arbitrarily.

Having said that, even though I'm no fan of Serpentor, Serpentor fans really have my sympathy. Hasbro hasn't been serving you well with his figures.

... don't even mind Grunt... though I have switched Grunts head and web gear on to the comic pack green shirt Duke body and it makes him MUCh better IMO)

Good idea.

I'd like to try this. How do you switch the heads? Do the heads just pop off and on? Or do you have to actually cut them off and glue them on?

By the way, I find Gung Ho's backpack is a perfect fit and color for Green Shirt Duke so that might be a good way of completing your kitbashed Grunt.

... don't even mind Grunt... though I have switched Grunts head and web gear on to the comic pack green shirt Duke body and it makes him MUCh better IMO)

Good idea.

I'd like to try this. How do you switch the heads? Do the heads just pop off and on? Or do you have to actually cut them off and glue them on?

By the way, I find Gung Ho's backpack is a perfect fit and color for Green Shirt Duke so that might be a good way of completing your kitbashed Grunt.

I did that as well:

SA400276.jpg

Just pop 'em off. Couldn't be easier.

speedy2-057-2.jpg

speedy2-057-3.jpg

I did that switch with my Grunt and Duke today too. The webgear is colored just right for that Duke's body. I had to pinch Duke's helmet to get it to stay on Grunt's head.

Duke does not look all that bad with Grunt's body eaither. I also like that Duke head alot more than the others. The scuplted plastic makes it look alot better, and less cartoony.

I did that as well:

SA400276.jpg

speedy2-057-2.jpg

speedy2-057-3.jpg

That was hilarious FF!

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@

Funniest Dio ever!

I did that switch with my Grunt and Duke today too. The webgear is colored just right for that Duke's body. I had to pinch Duke's helmet to get it to stay on Grunt's head.

Duke does not look all that bad with Grunt's body eaither. I also like that Duke head alot more than the others. The scuplted plastic makes it look alot better, and less cartoony.

I did that too, but I added the webgear from the comic pack Firefly:

SA400259.jpg

I did that as well:

SA400276.jpg

speedy2-057-2.jpg

speedy2-057-3.jpg

That was hilarious FF!

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@

Funniest Dio ever!

Thanks! That's a part of this dio: http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showt...=2053904&hl=

Check it out if you haven't already. I'm pretty proud of it (as it took an insane amount of work for me to produce it).