Downey Jr.: 'The Dark Knight Is Too Smart For Me'

Wheeljack35

dhoonib, Thank you for explaining how Two Face died. Seriously. I didnt read the book, or the script, but in the movie he seems to have landed flat on his back. And they may have landed on gravel, but to me it looked like dark dirt. The fact that it wasnt mentioned in the movie that he broke his neck still leaves me to question it though. You see int he movie they dont actually say hes dead, but the way the end goes he has to be dead. By the way the book for Batman forever made it seem like the greatest movie ever, but boy was it just not. And after Batman and Robins book made it seem like an actual good movie, I stoped reading book adaptations of movies. The book is always better lol. And I already said I liked the movie. It is a great movie. But just because I like something dosnt meen I cant pick at it. I still wear my Why so serious shirt at least once a week. And about the X-Files thing, Scully never actually saw any Aliens. She saw a lot of wierd thigns over the cours eof the show, but most oculd be explained as genetic mutations and other random acts of science gone wrong. In th emovie she just had the same stance she always had, her mind is open to it but she needs to actually see it before she can belive it. She now works as a Doctor, what she always wanted to do. Shes older, and just dosnt want to go back to a life that constantly made her question her faith. Or a life that took her son away. But thats got nothing to do with TDK lol.

SUPREMEQUEEN, I understand Batman/Bruce Wayne perfectly. And seriously if you consider the first four Batman movies the deffinition of the character then well I dont know what to tell you lol.

Pooda I dont appreciate being called dumb when Im just stating my opinion. I didnt come here to start a fight. And now I task you with naming one instance where in the comics, cartoons or movies( Before TDK.) where batman went to a forigen country and brought a forigen citizen back to Gotham to go to jail. If you can find one then I will concede the point about him going to China. But I dont think you will. Im not talking about something he has done wiht the Justice League where they go to another planet or something. Or going to another country and sending someone to jail there. I meen going to another ocuntry to bring a citizen of siad country back to Gotham to go to jail. If there was a criminal of such great importance where somehting like this would be considered then the government would have to do it. Otherwise they wouldnt be able to even hold Lau in prison legally. This makes Batman and especially Gordon look just as dirty as the criminals. And the plane he used, the Chinese government could easily track it back to him, or it would have been shot down when it entered Chinese airspace. This wasnt a stealth jet like the batwing. And he wasnt going into some backwoods country to get Lau. He was in a huge city. And your crazy if you think any city in any country in the world would let a plane fly that close to buildings after 9/11. There are so many problems with that scene. But please Pooda, Im not trying to fight with you, I meent what I said about finding an instance of this in Batmans past.

Yeah his neck is broke. And also where Gordon is speaking with a big pic of Dent behind his head is according to the script Dent's funeral. Lau is paid up with the right people, he owns the cops. Also Idc how closed off the Chinese government is they are not going to shoot down a plane inside the city. Also as rich as Bruce is I don't think he is going to hire some cheap ass plane. He is going to get the best and safest (as far as his business can go) group of rebels he can get. The only thing I didn't get is he got on that plane as Bruce Wayne but got back on the plane as Batman so I think someone in that flight crew knows he is Batman. Unless there is some deleted scene where he explains that "his friend" will bring a man back with him and he is staying in China or something. But that is really my only nitpick with the movie.

Also about the X-Files. I don't think Scully has an open mind. If she did she wouldn't be so quick to say that the priest was just a pedophile looking for some public forgiveness instead of thinking that maybe he does have a the gift of sight. I have seen a ton of X-Files episodes over the years and Scully does see a lot of stuff. She has seen things try to attack her and Mulder. She has seen people disappear and people mysterious go to the hospital with wounds that can't be from a knife or gun. And she still just shrugs it off. Its true she does not want to go back to that life but it seems more like she tries to brush that life under the rug. Which to me is lazy writing, just like she was in the first season, which is a personal nitpick of the show b/c as soon as she got partnered with Mulder she should have changed her mind about all this by episode two. Instead it seemed like she was interested but didn't care. Hell the Toomes case alone should have done it. But you are right, way off topic.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the point I was making about the plane was that it never would have gotten into the city airspace. It would have been shot down or forced down by the airforce the first time they didnt properly identify themselves. And if they did identify themselves then it wouldnt take a genious to track the planes flight patern with the appearance of Batman, and like you said he was Bruce when he got on, but Batman when he left and got back on. A whoel lot of people shoudl be able to put that together.

And as for Scully, she has no problem admitting things like Toomes exist, once she sees it for hereself. But she never once saw any real ALiens. Even her abduction was done by the government. Thats why she is skeptical about them. As for the priest, well I wouldnt have believed him either. And I think she did once he proved it to her. Even if she didnt want to admit it. She believes the things she has seen, because they can all be explained with science. I always found it odd that she needed things to be explained with science when she was a devout catholic, but that a whole nother can of worms I wont get into.

Well the point I was making about the plane was that it never would have gotten into the city airspace. It would have been shot down or forced down by the airforce the first time they didnt properly identify themselves. And if they did identify themselves then it wouldnt take a genious to track the planes flight patern with the appearance of Batman, and like you said he was Bruce when he got on, but Batman when he left and got back on. A whoel lot of people shoudl be able to put that together.

And as for Scully, she has no problem admitting things like Toomes exist, once she sees it for hereself. But she never once saw any real ALiens. Even her abduction was done by the government. Thats why she is skeptical about them. As for the priest, well I wouldnt have believed him either. And I think she did once he proved it to her. Even if she didnt want to admit it. She believes the things she has seen, because they can all be explained with science. I always found it odd that she needed things to be explained with science when she was a devout catholic, but that a whole nother can of worms I wont get into.

Well there isn't too many that could say "Hey Bruce is Batman!" Maybe that is the point, 7 or 8 at the most rebel Asians running plane trips in and out of China knows who Batman is. Hell I doubt they even know who or what he does. They see a guy in armor doing something dangerous. And even if they wanted to come out and say it I doubt they would, there jobs would be over b/c Chinese government would track them down and kill them So I guess it doesn't matter. Wayne is a smart guy. And I think the Chinese government would do something about it but that plane flew under radar. The government didn't see it coming till it was flying over the city. And they can't shoot it down once its in the city, they would KILL a bunch of citizens. And its not like Bruce Wayne is booking his rebel plane trips with Travelocity. William Shatner is not helping Wayne out here. He is doing black market stuff.

Yeah she has to admit Toomes exists but once you open yourself up to the idea of people or things like Toomes I personally think that you have to open yourself up to everything. A stretchy man who eats livers so he hibernate for 30 years who has been around since at least 1902, that would open me up to all kinds of possibilities. And to me it seems like she tries to rationalize it, "Well just because streachy man exists doesn't mean the chupacabra exist, I mean I'm sure kids go around Mexico mutilating sheep all the time." I just think and maybe its me, that if Scully believed these things or at least Chris Carter wanted her to have an open mind Gillian Anderson is doing a bad job of it. And if you wouldn't believe the priset that is fine but you haven't spent over a decade of your life chasing the things that go bump in the night, like Mulder and Scully have, she should have been jaded to it, still can be skeptical but why not give him a test, maybe a CAT scan see if he has any interesting brain areas. Idk she is a doctor. And I am not surprised TDK beat there ticket sales so badly, it was a bad movie. A terrible bookend to a great landmark series. I think "Supernatural" handles the...supernatural (sorry for the double use there) story lines much better but X-Files was the first kind of series to tackle adult supernatural stories without making different stories with different characters every week (Twilight Zone) or grounding it in some other universe (Flash Gordon type shows). But all around TDK was a better fantasy (even though it really wasn't a fantasy movie, more of a crime thriller).

RDJ+iron man=great movie

christian bale+batman=AWSOME MOVIE

besides batman is an icon and a bigger character than iron man will ever be.was there any doubt in anyones mind that a movie with batman and tha joker would not be the #1 movie this year.i myself was skeptical of heath ledgers ability to pull of the joker and jack nicholson,but to my delightful suprise i was wrong.the joker in TDK is this melliniums joker..dark and a sociopath.he kills for the enjoyment.Ledger really brought out what the joker is all about.

God Bless,

JC

Ok, going back to Tropic Thunder. has any one check out the main movie news board. There's this whole thing about how the "ARC" & "Down syndrom" comminity are all in an up-roar over this movie.

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!!!!!!! Why-O-Why did they do that??? Every one knows crontroversy created about a movie is always gonna drive people to the theators to see what trouble is all about. The only thing the ARC succeded in doing is ensuring Tropic Thunder's transition from a meadioaker barly funny film, to a box office success.

& why Tropic Thunder??? there are thousands of tv shows & movies out there that crack WAY funnier jokes about retarted people. Example, who remember the eps of South Park where Kyle sends the lil cripple boy on crutches who stutters real bad, to tell some chick that "she is a continual joy in his life", or somthing to that effect.

But the cripple kid kept stuttering & could only get as far as saying OKyle said to tell you, that you are a cont........a cont........a cont.........kyle says your a cont........a cont..............

LMAO LMAO LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH sorry I'm having a totaly flash back thinking about it LOL, exsuse me I need a moment, but you get my point right hehehehe.

I guess this is the first time ever that Marvel and DC had two movies out that were blockbusters in the same year

I wonder what the Marvel execs think of the Bat trouncing Ironman moneywise?

that Batman is an ICON, and Ironmamn is a character.(a very good one)

I guess this is the first time ever that Marvel and DC had two movies out that were blockbusters in the same year

that they shouldn't have relied so heavy on Starks drunkin charm & focus more on the suit.

that they shouldn't have relied so heavy on Starks drunkin charm & focus more on the suit.

yeah....but he was a very good Stark. but i kinda think youre right about seeing more suit.....theyll come with one of those 1.5 movies or some other B.S.

I really liked Iron Man, but I think I know why they relied so heavy on Stark and less on the suit. It was Marvel's first movie as there own production company, they ponied up the money for the deal and it was prolly pretty expensive for every second of screen time the suit got, and for an untested company like Marvel studios to put out a huge budget, for like 2 million dollars for two seconds of screen time for the suit which prolly cost waaaay more than 2 million dollars to build and then enhanced with CGI it was prolly the best they could do. Now that Iron Man proved a hit you will see more suit in the next one.

Iron Man is a great movie. Batman is a better movie. But with Iron Man the thinking and high brow elements of TDK would not have worked for it. It was a great action film. TDK is prolly the first all out comic book movie to cross genres and become a film. Personally Iron Man is my favorite comic book movie. TDK is my favorite crime flick (yes better than Godfather, less talkie bits and a truck flips, whats not to love?). I don't fault RDJ for what he said, he is working for Marvel, and with the way things go, the movie business is like politics. RDJ can't compliment his opponent, he has to sling mud. Just like Christian Bale prolly can't compliment RDJ since he is working for DC. This is so freaking sad, next we will see attack ads by special interest groups.

Kanye West: RDJ hates BATS!

Announcer: Paid for by the Heath Ledger for an Oscar foundation.

I'm pretty sure RDJ and Christian Bale are both fully capable and allowed to say whatever they want about each others' movies, performances, or otherwise.

Seriously, actors don't tend to have that much (if any) loyalty to the studios they work for. It just doesn't work that way in Hollywood anymore. Plus, complimenting or disliking each others' movies isn't going to affect business at all, really.

I'm pretty sure RDJ and Christian Bale are both fully capable and allowed to say whatever they want about each others' movies, performances, or otherwise.

Seriously, actors don't tend to have that much (if any) loyalty to the studios they work for. It just doesn't work that way in Hollywood anymore. Plus, complimenting or disliking each others' movies isn't going to affect business at all, really.

Idk I disagree. With the movie industry and the comic industry being as competitive as it is, they can't afford to lose actors. So I'm sure that Bale and RDJ can compliment each other on there movies if they want to but I'm sure that Marvel is much happier with RDJ saying crap about TDK especially since every article will say, "Downey Jr., who stared in the blockbuster, Iron Man,". It keeps the properties name out there and that is prolly just what Marvel wants since the dvd drops the end of next month. And in all seriousness, Bale prolly doesn't care anyway, neither does Nolan. Either RDJ and/or Marvel is the only ones keeping score. Well them and of course us who have dragged this thread out, which is prolly just what they care about anyway. Keep the fanboys talking.

its not that Bale & RDJ CANT say what they want, but more like they SHOULDNT. Meaning when your in Hollywood you gotta play there lil stupid PR games.

& that doesn't just apply to Bale & RDJ, that goes for every one who either is or hopes to be an actor! If you go around shooting off your mouth about Rival everytime your movie finds its self "pitted against" another movie, then all your gonna make in Hollywood are enimies.

NO ONE will want to touch you because your atittude stinks.

i like both movies...but i have to agree batman had parts that were blah!!!....and if i ahd to choose between lead actors bale in tdk and rdj in iron man id say rdj was better...bale was stale in tdk and what made that movie good was ledger and eckhart, not bale.....I found his batman voice to be annoying.

I saw tropic thunder and I liked it and thought rdj was funny in the movie....and so was tom cruise.

its not that Bale & RDJ CANT say what they want, but more like they SHOULDNT. Meaning when your in Hollywood you gotta play there lil stupid PR games.

& that doesn't just apply to Bale & RDJ, that goes for every one who either is or hopes to be an actor! If you go around shooting off your mouth about Rival everytime your movie finds its self "pitted against" another movie, then all your gonna make in Hollywood are enimies.

But the thing is that there is no "rivalry." It's purely manufactured, pretty much on our part (with some help from the media). Iron Man was done with it's Box Office run by the time TDK came out. DVD sales are almost certainly gonna be great, completely regardless of how much money TDK makes at the box office. It's as I've already said a couple times here: It doesn't have to be "one or the other" and it really isn't.

Downey offered an opinion on a movie. I highly, highly doubt that he thinks of it as a "rivalry" or that he said it out of contractural obligation or PR. Hell, if you actually look at what he said, he was mostly COMPLIMENTING the movie, and making a self-deprecating statement about himself along the way. I mean seriously, who wouldn't take your film being called "A Ferrari engine of storytelling" as anything other than a compliment? Saying it's "too smart for him" isn't nearly as much a knock on TDK as it is a joke about his own mental faculties.

But as usual, the media and the fans are blowing it out of proportion.

But the thing is that there is no "rivalry." It's purely manufactured, pretty much on our part (with some help from the media). Iron Man was done with it's Box Office run by the time TDK came out. DVD sales are almost certainly gonna be great, completely regardless of how much money TDK makes at the box office. It's as I've already said a couple times here: It doesn't have to be "one or the other" and it really isn't.

Downey offered an opinion on a movie. I highly, highly doubt that he thinks of it as a "rivalry" or that he said it out of contractural obligation or PR. Hell, if you actually look at what he said, he was mostly COMPLIMENTING the movie, and making a self-deprecating statement about himself along the way. I mean seriously, who wouldn't take your film being called "A Ferrari engine of storytelling" as anything other than a compliment? Saying it's "too smart for him" isn't nearly as much a knock on TDK as it is a joke about his own mental faculties.

I'm curious

How do you know how he felt about it? Did you hear him speak on Entertainment Tonight?

I'm not starting anything I just want to know if have heard his take on this

I'm curious

How do you know how he felt about it? Did you hear him speak on Entertainment Tonight?

I'm not starting anything I just want to know if have heard his take on this

Well, of course I don't know exactly what he was thinking (not that anyone else here does, either), and no, I didn't see the actual footage (I'm not sure anyone here has). I was looking at what exactly he said, and came to the realization of how completely blown out of proportion this whole thing is. The media painted it as an "attack" when if you actually look at what he said, he was saying good things about the film, and he never seemed to imply that it was "too smart" for general audiences or even the average person. He just said it was "too smart" for him, and whether he was joking or not, he's kinda entitled to his individual opinion like everyone else, is he not?

Oh hell yeah he can have an opinion but when its him...who himself was a playing a super hero and Marvel being DC's competition People will have a feild day with this

Its true he could of just giving it an analysis of what he felt about and meant no harm but why would he say anything? Why would he want to be criticized?

This does lead some people to believe he was sounding jealous.I don't know if he was

Its funny that he was in a Marvel movie and said this

What would of been the reprocussion if he was Green Lantern stating this about another DC movie?

Oh hell yeah he can have an opinion but when its him...who himself was a playing a super hero and Marvel being DC's competition People will have a feild day with this

Its true he could of just giving it an analysis of what he felt about and meant no harm but why would he say anything? Why would he want to be criticized?

This does lead some people to believe he was sounding jealous.I don't know if he was

What would of been the reprocussion if he was Green Lantern stating this about another DC movie?

I think if RDJ was in a successful Green Lantern movie and there was no power ring fly swatter gag at all, I think we would let RDJ say whatever he wants b/c the studios released a cool Green Lantern flick. In my eyes RDJ could talk about anything no matter how offensive, and I would be like, "Hey, you guys can't say anything he made a SWEET GL movie." If GL ever gets released watch them try to make it either campy or stupid, and of course there will be a giant fist made with the power ring and a fly swatter, there is prolly no way to avoid that.

I think if RDJ was in a successful Green Lantern movie and there was no power ring fly swatter gag at all, I think we would let RDJ say whatever he wants b/c the studios released a cool Green Lantern flick. In my eyes RDJ could talk about anything no matter how offensive, and I would be like, "Hey, you guys can't say anything he made a SWEET GL movie." If GL ever gets released watch them try to make it either campy or stupid, and of course there will be a giant fist made with the power ring and a fly swatter, there is prolly no way to avoid that.

What, are you just not a Marvel fan? He made an awesome Iron Man movie. That's not enough to garner some fan-goodwill? Are we really that fickle and immature a bunch that we have to stop liking Iron Man because The Dark Knight came out?

What, are you just not a Marvel fan? He made an awesome Iron Man movie. That's not enough to garner some fan-goodwill? Are we really that fickle and immature a bunch that we have to stop liking Iron Man because The Dark Knight came out?

Dude, I am a Marvel fan, I even said earlier in this thread that Iron Man is my favorite comic book movie, TDK is my favorite crime flick. I loved Iron Man and can't wait to see the sequel and Avengers. I just think its funny how he is talking about TDK and how its a DC and he is working for Marvel. But I think that GL is a harder movie to do right but I already saw that Wheeljack has posted a review of a rather nice sounding GL script so who knows now. But I am a fan of Marvel.