Downey Jr.: 'The Dark Knight Is Too Smart For Me'

Wheeljack35

http://enewsi.com/news.php?itemid=13773

posted by JayC

IRON MAN has sparked a feud with BATMAN - ROBERT DOWNEY JR. insists THE DARK KNIGHT is too complicated.

The actor admits he's still scratching his head about the Batman Begins sequel's plot - and he feels sure he's not the only one.

He tells MovieHole.net, "I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get many things that are so smart. "(The Dark Knight) is like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and scriptwriting and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.'

"I didn't understand The Dark Knight... I still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and, in the end, they need him to be a bad guy.

"I'm like, 'I get it - this is so high brow and so f**king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.'"

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted by JayC

IRON MAN has sparked a feud with BATMAN - ROBERT DOWNEY JR. insists THE DARK KNIGHT is too complicated.

The actor admits he's still scratching his head about the Batman Begins sequel's plot - and he feels sure he's not the only one.

He tells MovieHole.net, "I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get many things that are so smart. "(The Dark Knight) is like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and scriptwriting and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.'

"I didn't understand The Dark Knight... I still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and, in the end, they need him to be a bad guy.

"I'm like, 'I get it - this is so high brow and so f**king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.'"

sounds like one of those "good problems"....

posted by JayC

thats what years of drug abuse will do to your brain.

posted by JayC

thats what years of drug abuse will do to your brain.

right.

haha thats funny. I do agree witht he whole batman is now a wanted man was kinda meh!!

Oh bobby bobby bobby baby. You silly silly silly little man, who has dared to mock the power of THE DARK KNIGHT..................Hmmm, looks like some one has forgotten there place in the "cinnimatic food chain" & needs to be thought a lesson.

Well honey Queen is more that willing to serve. This.........................(oh what shall we call him), desperate lil man who in my eyes is like a boyscout that's been laboring for hours spinning his stick & string deep in to his kindeling in vain attempts to reignight some washed up druggy movie career, is just now getting back on his unsteady feet with the success of Iron Man.

& I don't want to slight Iron Man in any of this, because it was a very cool movie. But let me take a moment & snatch away this BS Downey is trying to pull. All this is, is a "passive agressive" attempt at call TDK boreing or corny or stupid.

But he doesn't want to get his hands dirty in the doing (Hollywood PC & all that jazz). But the truth as I see it is this. Downey is mad & gelious as hell that he wasn't tapped for either Bats or Joker. & like a spoiled child he's acting out in this passive agressive manner by trying to say TDK was over his head bc he's "not smart enough", but all he's realy saying is eff TDK I HATE IT FOR MAKING MY MOVIE LOOK LIKE SMALL CHANGE!

& to make matters worse for lil Bobby, after acrewing a spark of success, he's going to waste it all to hell with that lame ass millitary spoof movie PEE EWU!!! what a stinker. Jack Black & Robert Downey Jr., If your an actor just starting out then be advised, pairing up with either of these fools is as good as putting a mill stone around you neck & jumping in to the ocean!

Sounds to me like he is jealous.He finally had a hit with Ironman and the Bat upstaged him

right. you know....eff downey. he had a good run with ironman(really slick) he should sit his dopefiend ass back, and be glad that he was able to get a decent role.

Oh bobby bobby bobby baby. You silly silly silly little man, who has dared to mock the power of THE DARK KNIGHT..................Hmmm, looks like some one has forgotten there place in the "cinnimatic food chain" & needs to be thought a lesson.

Well honey Queen is more that willing to serve. This.........................(oh what shall we call him), desperate lil man who in my eyes is like a boyscout that's been laboring for hours spinning his stick & string deep in to his kindeling in vain attempts to reignight some washed up druggy movie career, is just now getting back on his unsteady feet with the success of Iron Man.

& I don't want to slight Iron Man in any of this, because it was a very cool movie. But let me take a moment & snatch away this BS Downey is trying to pull. All this is, is a "passive agressive" attempt at call TDK boreing or corny or stupid.

But he doesn't want to get his hands dirty in the doing (Hollywood PC & all that jazz). But the truth as I see it is this. Downey is mad & gelious as hell that he wasn't tapped for either Bats or Joker. & like a spoiled child he's acting out in this passive agressive manner by trying to say TDK was over his head bc he's "not smart enough", but all he's realy saying is eff TDK I HATE IT FOR MAKING MY MOVIE LOOK LIKE SMALL CHANGE!

& to make matters worse for lil Bobby, after acrewing a spark of success, he's going to waste it all to hell with that lame ass millitary spoof movie PEE EWU!!! what a stinker. Jack Black & Robert Downey Jr., If your an actor just starting out then be advised, pairing up with either of these fools is as good as putting a mill stone around you neck & jumping in to the ocean!

Actually Tropic Thunder is supposed to be hilarious, and Downey is an excellent actor. Check out Zodiac, A Scanner Darkly, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, etc. He's awesome.

Jack Black is hilarious as well, and quite successful. See School of Rock, King Kong, Be Kind Rewind, High Fidelity, etc.

Not to say I agree with him, as I loved The Dark Knight.

You know this could just be a ploy. Who knows (and who cares) how RDJ feels about TDK. He has a new movie coming out this week and he is prolly trying to drum up business. I mean he is in Tropic Thunder, he isn't going say, "My movie is nowhere nears as good as TDK. See that instead." Hell I have seen interviews with stars that compare there movie to the Godfather. This is just Hollywood press.

Or Y'know, it could be a joke. I hear that Downey Jr. fella's got quite a sense of humor.

Jesus the Dark Knight fanboys are starting to make me sick. Anything that even sounds like it might be a criticism of their movie and they start acting like they've been personally insulted.

Or Y'know, it could be a joke. I hear that Downey Jr. fella's got quite a sense of humor.

Jesus the Dark Knight fanboys are starting to make me sick. Anything that even sounds like it might be a criticism of their movie and they start acting like they've been personally insulted.

could be.

Jack black is not funny. he's just big & loud & WAY over animated.

RDJ wasn't makeing a joke that I could see. The man is just jelious that his "come back" movie is being dwarfed by TDK. RDJ also played in "Good Night & Good Luck" & yes I've already seen the for mentioned movies with him in it. Scanner Darkly was cool, but how could he not do good in that kind of film.

Its practiculy autobiographical!

RDJ wasn't makeing a joke that I could see. The man is just jelious that his "come back" movie is being dwarfed by TDK. RDJ also played in "Good Night & Good Luck" & yes I've already seen the for mentioned movies with him in it. Scanner Darkly was cool, but how could he not do good in that kind of film.

If you think anyone is "jealous" that their movie made $300+ million while another made $400+, you're either insane or an idiot.

They were both highly successful films. Yeah, TDK may be wildly successful, but its' success doesn't hurt Downey's career or livelihood in the least. Did you "see" him make the statement, or just read the text of the article? Since, y'know, print doesn't exactly convey tone of voice, facial expression, or any of the other things that imply a "joke" particularly well. Even then, it isn't like say, Downey's particularly known for deadpan humor, either. Oh wait....He is! Hell, even if it's an honest opinion...who cares? Here's an absolute fact for the fanboys: THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT DIDN'T LIKE THE DARK KNIGHT. You know what? Most of them didn't like it for perfectly valid reasons. You might not agree with them, but believe it or not, they have every right to not like it, and it doesn't make them idiots, unintelligent, or otherwise "defective" for doing so.

Seriously, you got your virtual panties in a bunch over something that ultimately means nothing. Both movies were big hits, and neither "stole any thunder" from the other. Iron Man was practically out of theaters by the time TDK hit anyway.

(PS: I liked The Dark Knight just fine, but I don't think it was the flawless masterpiece some people try to make it out to be)

If you think anyone is "jealous" that their movie made $300+ million while another made $400+, you're either insane or an idiot.

They were both highly successful films. Yeah, TDK may be wildly successful, but its' success doesn't hurt Downey's career or livelihood in the least. Did you "see" him make the statement, or just read the text of the article? Since, y'know, print doesn't exactly convey tone of voice, facial expression, or any of the other things that imply a "joke" particularly well. Even then, it isn't like say, Downey's particularly known for deadpan humor, either. Oh wait....He is! Hell, even if it's an honest opinion...who cares? Here's an absolute fact for the fanboys: THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT DIDN'T LIKE THE DARK KNIGHT. You know what? Most of them didn't like it for perfectly valid reasons. You might not agree with them, but believe it or not, they have every right to not like it, and it doesn't make them idiots, unintelligent, or otherwise "defective" for doing so.

Seriously, you got your virtual panties in a bunch over something that ultimately means nothing. Both movies were big hits, and neither "stole any thunder" from the other. Iron Man was practically out of theaters by the time TDK hit anyway.

(PS: I liked The Dark Knight just fine, but I don't think it was the flawless masterpiece some people try to make it out to be)

Actually it was out of the theaters. And you are right it made a ton of money and stayed in the theaters a lot longer than I thought. It was in there for seven or eight weeks. And I agree with you RDJ was prolly joking or he was just trying to get some free press for his movie coming out this week. In the article I bet you it said: Robert Downey Jr. will be in Tropic Thunder..(explanation about Tropic Thunder)..which hits theaters August 17th. This is just Hollywood marketing. And he did it fairly well too since this thread already has over ten messages on it.

Yeah, basically Iron Man was a far bigger hit than anyone was really expecting it to be.

And TDK was complicated...sometimes complicated to the point that logic goes completely out the window if you try thinking it through (there are some definite plot holes, or at least MASSIVELY improbable (if-not-impossible) occurrences where the Joker's "criminal genius" is concerned (particularly for someone that claims they "don't have a plan"). It's something that carried over from Batman Begins, though, so I didn't really mind it. You just have to accept that the Nolan-Verse is "realistic up to the point Nolan decides it shouldn't be." I thought TDK was great and probably my favorite of the summer, but it's not perfect.

I also understand that the inconsistencies and improbabilities might be enough to make another person not like the movie.

*take flame thrower out of holster, takes the safty off & points in at jmacq1's head & says* Now look sweethart, if were gonna be cool in this forum, then cool is what you need to be.

take notice if you will, on how every one else in this thread is able to say what on their minds with out name calling. So if you don't want me to flame your ass with the white hot intensity of 10,000 suns..........then just chill on the insults or both our butts will be kick out.

you dig. *puts safty back on & holsters weapon of mass distruction*

Then I suggest you don't openly say you will flame another

would you rather the diamondback rattlers of your world be without their RATTLES! Dude got a fair warning of the firestorm he was about to walk in to.

Normaly I just blast ignorant people like that with out a moments notice.....................i guess the Queen's getting soft in her old age.

Iron Man really had a simple plot. A lot of little details that put together the overall movie, but still was simple. I still am not 100% sure of what went on in The Dark Knight. I get everything with Two Face and Batman and the Joker, but about him going to Hong Kong the get that guy who was dealing with the mob and the gangs, I am clueless. I kinda see what Robert Downey Jr. is talking about, but it wasnt that complicated of a plot.

Well if you look at it from another point of view he is dealing with DC's main rival, Marvel. So while I think he could concede (if he believes it) that Dark Knight is a good movie, he can't outright say that TDK is a better movie. He is contractually obligated to at least one more Iron Man (but prolly two). Who knows if he actually liked or hated TDK all its really about is politics for the respective companies.

But personally I feel that the two are completely different movies. Iron Man is an action movie, straight forward and fun. Dark Knight is a complex crime movie with action scenes. While both are based on comic characters they have less in common than they do alike.

Iron man was a great movie

Dake Knight was a even greater Movie.

Downey JR. is lucky he got a role.

Tropic Thunder is bad comedy... add Will Ferrel and you could have a catastrophe.