WHY DCUC will be CANCELED

CLAM

I too don't see any reason why this line will be canceled for the forseeable future, though the ever increasing cost of plastic will definitely be a thorn in its side.

I'll still continue to cherrypick, (though at one time I planned to collect the entire line). Instead, I'll be shuffling the extra dollars to the 3 3/4" Infinite Heroes line (of course I am hardly objective, being an admin at a board that focuses exclusively on the little buggers (and the upcoming Marvel Line).

http://miniheroes.proboards104.com/index.cgi

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too don't see any reason why this line will be canceled for the forseeable future, though the ever increasing cost of plastic will definitely be a thorn in its side.

I'll still continue to cherrypick, (though at one time I planned to collect the entire line). Instead, I'll be shuffling the extra dollars to the 3 3/4" Infinite Heroes line (of course I am hardly objective, being an admin at a board that focuses exclusively on the little buggers (and the upcoming Marvel Line).

those Infinite Heroes are FUGLY!

the Marvel line is gonna kick its butt...

but niether of them can touch the SuperHero Showdown from Toybiz' Marvel stuff.. those were amazing, if not for the horrible paint and quality control

those Infinite Heroes are FUGLY!

the Marvel line is gonna kick its butt...

but niether of them can touch the SuperHero Showdown from Toybiz' Marvel stuff.. those were amazing, if not for the horrible paint and quality control

the IH figs are weak.

but GI JOE puts a boot to all of the marvel 3 3/4 figs, and hasbro could give a crap about you(the collector) where as i wont have to worry about mattel......

the IH figs are weak.

but GI JOE puts a boot to all of the marvel 3 3/4 figs, and hasbro could give a crap about you(the collector) where as i wont have to worry about mattel......

You really think Mattel cares about "you" (the collector)? Don't make me laugh. We're all just walking wallets to both companies. Mattel just pays better lip-service right now. Funny though...basically everything Mattel gets lauded for for being "collector friendly" is exactly the same thing Hasbro's been doing for years.

the IH figs are weak.

You really think Mattel cares about "you" (the collector)? Don't make me laugh. We're all just walking wallets to both companies. Mattel just pays better lip-service right now. Funny though...basically everything Mattel gets lauded for for being "collector friendly" is exactly the same thing Hasbro's been doing for years.

I dont think it was Mattel that was caring about collectors when they got the beloved MOTU line cancelled by giving us 4 scuba-Heman and parachute-Skeletor figures per case and only 2 other (cooler) figures.

If they only send the DCU figures to certain areas and are behind on the manufatoring of these they might as well cancel the line

I hate Mattel

These are the same people who killed off the 2002 MOTU line which was great itself with a great toon to go with that line

the IH figs are weak.

mattel cares enough to keep making 6" figs....not 2" baby statues.

Which 2" line is Hasbro making?

That would be none. They are making a 3 3/4" line that's got about twice as much poseability as the Infinite Heroes line, with better sculpting and likely better paint apps, to boot.

Oh, do you have the official press release from Hasbro where they said they're not making 6" figures anymore? You know...cancelling those 2-packs they said "would continue" and that Wolverine movie line they apparently said would be 6"? That'd be pretty big news, so you might want to share it with the rest of us.

Which 2" line is Hasbro making?

That would be none. They are making a 3 3/4" line that's got about twice as much poseability as the Infinite Heroes line, with better sculpting and likely better paint apps, to boot.

Oh, do you have the official press release from Hasbro where they said they're not making 6" figures anymore? You know...cancelling those 2-packs they said "would continue" and that Wolverine movie line they apparently said would be 6"? That'd be pretty big news, so you might want to share it with the rest of us.

how tall are superhero squads? and just because they dabble in 6" figs doesnt mean they keep'em coming consistantly.

PS: Might want to look at those little miniatures that Mattel is putting out. You know, the game-piece like ones with launchers? They look about 2" tall.

PPS: I haven't seen a DCUC figure on-shelves in about 3 months, excepting a couple Red Tornado and Orion pegwarmers. "Consistent" they're not. Not yet, anyway. Nevermind that they're only just getting started on their "universe" of characters, while Marvel's been through a good chunk of theirs.

PPPS: Toys for babies?

super-friends-bats-tn.jpg

I rest my case. Mattel's basically copied Marvel Legends, Attacktix (the figurines I mentioned earlier), and "Spider-Man and friends." They even tried to pre-empt the rumored-for-a-couple-years-now Marvel 3 3/4" by rushing their own inferior line into the mix. I'm sure Superhero Squad-style DC characters are only a year or so away. But you know what they say: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Don't get me wrong. I like the DCUC figures. Love 'em, even. But trying to claim their existence is somehow proof that Mattel cares more about collectors is ridiculous. Hasbro and Mattel care about one thing above all else: Making money. Everything else is a distant second.

• 5 weeks later...
I too don't see any reason why this line will be canceled for the forseeable future, though the ever increasing cost of plastic will definitely be a thorn in its side.<br /><br />I'll still continue to cherrypick, (though at one time I planned to collect the entire line). Instead, I'll be shuffling the extra dollars to the 3 3/4" Infinite Heroes line (of course I am hardly objective, being an admin at a board that focuses exclusively on the little buggers (and the upcoming Marvel Line).<a href="http://miniheroes.proboards104.com/index.cgi" target="_blank">http://miniheroes.proboards104.com/index.cgi</a>
<br /><br /><br />those Infinite Heroes are FUGLY!<br />the Marvel line is gonna kick its butt...but niether of them can touch the SuperHero Showdown from Toybiz' Marvel stuff.. those were amazing, if not for the horrible paint and quality control

you mean the things you criticized DCUC for?

the new hasbro 3 3/4" line actually looks good, and not bloated.

I rest my case. Mattel's basically copied Marvel Legends, Attacktix (the figurines I mentioned earlier), and "Spider-Man and friends." They even tried to pre-empt the rumored-for-a-couple-years-now Marvel 3 3/4" by rushing their own inferior line into the mix. I'm sure Superhero Squad-style DC characters are only a year or so away. But you know what they say: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Imaginext Batman is already out, actually.

Don't get me wrong. I like the DCUC figures. Love 'em, even. But trying to claim their existence is somehow proof that Mattel cares more about collectors is ridiculous. Hasbro and Mattel care about one thing above all else: Making money. Everything else is a distant second.

I agree and disagree here. While both companies are of course in the biz to make money, I think that Mattel realizes the buying power, disposable income, and dedication that adult collectors have, and I think they do try to cater to them as much as they can. Hasbro, on the other hand, has a fantastic track record of saying they want to entice the collector, then driving them away.

I like DCUC and hope it continues but Mattel is just like Hasbro, doesn't give a damn about us. They do talk the talk though, they seem like they care but its always going to be little kids that they cater to. We are too fickle and silly for companies. But at least they do correspond with us better than Hasbro, Hasbro doesn't give and damn about us and doesn't even pretend.

Is pretending better than being honest?? Who knows. I think they care, just not nearly as much as making money. They're not artists and have a very limited knowledge and appreciation for these characters and style of toys. I miss Toy Biz. Maybe one day we'll get them back. Too bad Shocker is a scam company.

Is pretending better than being honest?? Who knows. I think they care, just not nearly as much as making money. They're not artists and have a very limited knowledge and appreciation for these characters and style of toys. I miss Toy Biz. Maybe one day we'll get them back. Too bad Shocker is a scam company.

Toy Biz was really different. Toy Biz was part of Marvel so they kind of had to care. That would amount to Disney making toys of Mickey Mouse with only one ear and then calling a customer a F%$ktard for noticing.

To be fair, I think that the actual guys that are designing, sculpting, and doing the initial paint decos and whatnot...I think those guys care, at the very least about trying to do a good job and create an interesting figure. I think the guys on the individual "teams" for a particular brand tend to care about the property and yes, have a certain degree of respect for what the fans want. None of these folks set out to make bad figures or create a line that fails to gain traction with buyers.

But they're part of a larger business, and sometimes the business necessities outweigh the "consumer service" necessities...There's nothing those guys can do about it, either...at least if they want to keep their jobs.

To be fair, I think that the actual guys that are designing, sculpting, and doing the initial paint decos and whatnot...I think those guys care, at the very least about trying to do a good job and create an interesting figure. I think the guys on the individual "teams" for a particular brand tend to care about the property and yes, have a certain degree of respect for what the fans want. None of these folks set out to make bad figures or create a line that fails to gain traction with buyers.

But they're part of a larger business, and sometimes the business necessities outweigh the "consumer service" necessities...There's nothing those guys can do about it, either...at least if they want to keep their jobs.

The sculptors care about the figure, yes, the strategy guys care about the figure, yes, but once it gets to quality control, distribution, and then out on the market for public consumption the only cares about the figure is if its making money, if a kid kill them self on it, and if is got lead or something lethal. Also the people who take calls for the company don't care. We just another bitching customer, but you are right they do want to keep there job and its like that at every company.

Honesty vs dishonesty...hmmm. It's been awhile, but when the MOTU line ended, Mattel pretty much came clean and said, the line was over.

When Marvel Legends ended, Hasbro hemmed and hawed and suggested that the figures being released in 2008, would also be considered the 2009 releases as well. "Heck," said one Hasbro rep, "if you can find some older Toybiz figures on clearance, we 'released' them in 2009, too!" The Hasbro rep then admitted to being a dïkbaág.