WHY DCUC will be CANCELED

CLAM

I like DCUC figures enough to collect the dang things, even though I am getting sooooo tired of the Horesmen's style of anatomy and the funky crotch joint.

However, I never have been able to find series 2 except for one electric superman, which I passed on because he sucks.

However, recently I have been finding remnants at Walmarts here (i.e. more electric superman figures)

Today I went on a short toyrun on the way home from taking my grandma to the airport, figuring that I might as well since I was passing by some distant Walmarts out in the boonies where people dont go.

At two different stores, I actually found some: 3 Firestorms, 2 Black Mantas, and 5 of each electric superman figures, all with a pricetag of 11.88! I wanted Firestorm, but the paint was bad on all of them, I don't want the electic superman, so I passed on all 10 of those too, and I decided to wait on Black Manta until I find a nice clean case or something, all these figures were smashed.

1. There is no way these figures are worth 12 bucks. (no articulation, no accessories, lack of paint).

2. The paint apps are terrible. all the Firestorms were splashed with red paint where he was supposed to be yellow, and his lines were all sloppy. (I still never saw a decent Red Tornado figure either because of the worst paint I have ever seen).

3. Bad case ratios. they did this with MOTU too, Mattel has no idea how to keep their worst figures from rotting on the shelves. today I saw 10 of those fugly superman figures that are never going anywhere, and I have never seen Aquaman.

4. The packaging itself is far from good. Its ugly, and doesn't hold up to MOC. The way the card sticks out past the bubble just a bit helps it get all bend up in the cases, and the way the figures are packed makes each figure's card cave-in in the middle. I didnt see a single one that I would want to keep MOC.

5. Poor distribution. I have seen plenty of wave 1 allover the place, and only 16 wave 2 figures, and now wave 3 is out??? You cant build a fanbase like that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well mattel had a lot of recalss..so all there fig distrubution was messed up....im sure they will pop more now.

Price won't be a factor. Every other toy line is going up in price, so it's not like there are cheaper alternatives.

The fact that Wal-Mart has picked up the line is a pretty good indicator that it's NOT getting cancelled, at least not anytime soon.

hope you all are right... all I have are GiJoes to collect right now, and those are wearing thin on me with the constant repaints and price hikes.

Price won't be a factor. Every other toy line is going up in price, so it's not like there are cheaper alternatives.

You got that right!

There is now way Marvel Legends will still be $10 when they become available again, either. $12, if not $15. I'll call it right now.......

You got that right!

There is now way Marvel Legends will still be $10 when they become available again, either. $12, if not $15. I'll call it right now.......

I really don't think Marvel Legends could afford to do a price hike. Hasbro has said publically that they are having to struggle to find ways to keep it going. They obviously are selling terribly as is. I actually doubt we will see all the figures they showed at SDCC this year

1. There is no way these figures are worth 12 bucks. (no articulation, no accessories, lack of paint).

2. The paint apps are terrible. all the Firestorms were splashed with red paint where he was supposed to be yellow, and his lines were all sloppy. (I still never saw a decent Red Tornado figure either because of the worst paint I have ever seen).

3. Bad case ratios. they did this with MOTU too, Mattel has no idea how to keep their worst figures from rotting on the shelves. today I saw 10 of those fugly superman figures that are never going anywhere, and I have never seen Aquaman.

4. The packaging itself is far from good. Its ugly, and doesn't hold up to MOC. The way the card sticks out past the bubble just a bit helps it get all bend up in the cases, and the way the figures are packed makes each figure's card cave-in in the middle. I didnt see a single one that I would want to keep MOC.

5. Poor distribution. I have seen plenty of wave 1 allover the place, and only 16 wave 2 figures, and now wave 3 is out??? You cant build a fanbase like that.

1. Well, the DCUC figures have a decent amount of articulation. I don't get what u mean by no accessories thought. Aquaman comes with a staff and Harley Quin also comes with her signature weapons. If you are talking about Superman then maybe you can suggest what kind of accessories we should expect that is reasonable?

2. Bad paint jobs are true. And I heard Mattel has switched to a new vendor because of that. THis is also why the FirestormII(Jason) cases are being delayed again and again.

3. Case ratios are ok as far as I know. There's a full set of the series and 1 extra figure(Supes/Firestorm) in one case.

4. I like the packaging. It's more like a personal issue.

5. Agreed. Canada still has no sign of DCUC series2. Hong Kong has no series 2 as well. Mattel should really work on their international distribution if they still want international business. Stop shipping us the 5" The Dark Knight crap and start shipping out awesome 6" figures!

No articulation? NONE? Way to overstate.

No accessories? There's one figure in each wave that is entirely accessory-free. They may not be accessories you like, and there may not be enough of them for your liking, but that should not be confused with none at all. Heck, even most of the BAFs in this line get accessories!

Lack of paint... That's something that I'd take on a figure-by-figure basis, and rests a lot on personal opinion, so if you don't feel they have enough paint, that's a wholly valid concern to you.

Mattel has recognized the problem and has said they are taking steps to fix it.

Sticking with your example of series 2, all figures (including a variant who is technically a different character) packed one per case is a 'bad ratio'? Just because you can't find them doesn't mean that Mattel is using a bad ratio, it means that that the figures you can't find are selling more quickly than the ones you are finding. What's Mattel supposed to do about that? Upping the ratio of one figure means dropping the ratio of another. Dropping to less of any figure when it's one per case means putting NONE of a figure in a case. In a BAF line, that's going to get just as many happy collectors (can more easily find the upped figure at retail) as it is angry ones (can't complete the BAF from a case, no guarantee that the dropped figure is common in their area). When the figure you'd be dropping is a flagship character like Superman, that's going to hurt your retailer support. There is a character from the Batman or Superman 'family' in every wave for a reason.

The simple fact is that a 'perfect' case ratio doesn't exist. If Mattel had packed Aquaman at 2 per case and collectors had to hunt up and down to get Superman (and/or his variant), there would be no end to the complaining about that. Honestly now, who saw Aquaman as the breakout figure of the wave? I sure didn't. It's friggin' Aquaman!

As I'm not a MOC collector, I have no opinion to give on this. All I care about is being able to find the package, not what it looks like or how it holds up.

Mattel cut short wave 2 due to safety recalls. They have said they will be re-releasing it once wave 3 has had it's time on the pegs.

So out of your five 'points', two (1 and 3) hold little to no water, two (2 and 5) have been recognized and are being addressed, so will hopefully be non-issues in the near future, and one (4) may be valid, but only to a select portion of the fanbase.

Sounds like DCUC is doing just fine.

I like DCUC figures enough to collect the dang things, even though I am getting sooooo tired of the Horesmen's style of anatomy and the funky crotch joint.

However, I never have been able to find series 2 except for one electric superman, which I passed on because he sucks.

However, recently I have been finding remnants at Walmarts here (i.e. more electric superman figures)

Today I went on a short toyrun on the way home from taking my grandma to the airport, figuring that I might as well since I was passing by some distant Walmarts out in the boonies where people dont go.

At two different stores, I actually found some: 3 Firestorms, 2 Black Mantas, and 5 of each electric superman figures, all with a pricetag of 11.88! I wanted Firestorm, but the paint was bad on all of them, I don't want the electic superman, so I passed on all 10 of those too, and I decided to wait on Black Manta until I find a nice clean case or something, all these figures were smashed.

I think that's a personal evaluation, what a figure is 'worth'. If you buy it for $11, then it's worth it to you. I don't think SW figures are 'worth' $8-9. I don't buy them. But that doesn't mean the line is failing.

I was a little dissappointed with the first wave's paint apps. But all the subsequent ones have been fine.

What ratio? There is one wave per case, plus a variant. Heaven forbid the extra character shouldn't be the "big gun" of the DC Universe. Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Batman etc. You would rather the pack in an extra figure nobody has ever heard of? The reason you aren't finding Aquaman is because a collector bought the entire wave. And as we all know, when an entire wave sells out, and the pegs are empty, its a sign of failure.

Yeah, I was quite bothered by how the packaging looked when it was sitting in my garbage can. Honestly, has anyone made the decision to collect/not collect based on packaging? If you like the figures and like the line, you're gonna buy them. Nobody ever says "Man that new GIJoe line is awesome and reminds me of my youth, but the packaging is iffy, so I'm not buying any of them..."

Mattel is notorious for weak distribution. It DID kill MOTU. And we've gone awhile since we saw any new DCUC. But just this morning I saw an entire Wave 3 at Target in North Hollywood, CA. I left it because I already have a case coming in the mail. So we'll see if they can consistently keep them on the shelf. I don't know if the one wave per case is a boon, because if stores only order on a case by case basis, and the buyers are buying the ENTIRE case, is that really Mattel's fault, or is it the timidity of the retailer?

I picked up both Deathstroke figure's(variant & masked) ovet the weekend and I gotta say, he come swith quite a few accessories. Sword w/working sheath, pistol w/working holster, assault rifle, staff w/working holder on the bandolier. He is the first DCUC figure I have bought and I'm really impressed with him.

Definitely recognizing that Mattel has had some quality control issues and an onslaught of summer movie product they've had to deal with, it makes sense that wave 3 is just possing out. We're most likely going to get 4 waves this year, which isn't too bad.

In my opinion, this so far has been the line of the year, and the SDCC Lobo is the action figure of the year so far.

I do agree that distribution seems weak, but hopefully that will change. I know people love to hate Mattel (they have and do continue to make dumb decisions) but the fact is that Matty Collector so far seems to be a good idea for collectors, the Dark Knight has done well meaning retailers are more than likely going to be wanting Dark Knight, Batman, and DC product for Christmas (hopefully we'll see a DVD release by then, but that may be too soon) and other than a few lone voices, the DC Universe classics has been well received by most toy review web sites and publications.

Nobody ever says "Man that new GIJoe line is awesome and reminds me of my youth, but the packaging is iffy, so I'm not buying any of them..."

Not to counter what I think is an excellent point, but I'm pretty certain that Clam has done exactly that, and more than once.

The priorities of the MOC collector are a strange and wondrous beast.

Whooah!!

These are toys!

your profile says you are 29.(I am 35 this is not meant as an insult!!)

Do you remember being young? What were the Toys like then?

I remember, you were lucky to get four points of articulation and paint applied by a drunk monkey who had only three colours to choose from, one of which he had stuck up his A##!

As for a Namor with green trunks and an elbow joint to suit your personal taste, I think all you could have hoped for back then was Superman(classic 4poa), Batman(classic 4poa), Spiderman(classic 4poa),Hulk(classic 4poa)

I think what I am trying to say is enjoy it while you can, me I live somewhere where I will never find these in a shop so your distribution arguement is void from the start and it seems to me you might have the know how to order online.....

Lastly and most importantly..... Electric Superman...... DOES NOT SUCK!!!!!

(just personal opinion y'all!!!)

well mattel did say they changed vendors halfway through preductions. and that is a reason why it was not widely availible. they did say they will re-release wave 2 right after wave 3. i agree on the the body sclupts...they do need more than 3. lol. as far as price goes...do you realize that the hulk legengs are like 15 a peiece!?!?!? thats outrageous. DCUC ive seen at 10-11 a peice.

I think the love people have for these characters and the overall quality of these sculpts will iron over any problems that have plagued the line so far. That having been said...

1. This six month gap between waves can be a killer. There have been times I actually forgot I was collecting this line. I don't think I've bothered to check the DCUC pegs at Target in months. It's always been that same lone Etrigan! I think if this goes on any longer or if it happens again say between Waves 3 & 4, it could do some serious damage to this line's following.

2. I think twelve bucks might be my limit. Once we get to fifteen or ...God forbid... TWENTY bucks, I'm out. This is a fun hobby, but fifteen to twenty bucks could mean groceries or gas. I really can't reconcile dropping that kind of cash on a toy. I don't buy the oil price excuse. If that were the case, we'd be seeing action figure prices drop in the coming months and I really doubt that's going to happen. What happens to those extra couple of bucks we've been getting nailed for, when the price of oil drops? I think and I've said this before, the toy companies know what fans are willing to drop on toys and they're creeping in thst direction.

3. The quality of the figures has been fine. Articulation is more than acceptable The sculpts have been excellent. The paint apps have been off early on but I guess I'd notice more if this were a larger problem if I could actually find the damn things.

4. Batman aside, they really made a gutsy move and started with their weakest, most oddball character selections. Batman and Red Tornado were okay, but everything I'm most excited about in this line, Green Lantern, Flash, is coming up in future waves. Aside from Bats, Wave One was loaded with second and third stringers only diehard comic book fans ...and how many of THOSE are left?...could appreciate. It's no wonder I've seen Demons and Orions rotting on the pegs. They really took a serious chance with this wave. The retailers very easily ...and justifiably... could've said, "Nah! I'm still sitting on a few Orions and that ugly yellow guy. I'll pass." Wave Two was only a little better but you're still rolling some serious dice when you're biggest name is Aquaman or an unrecognizable Superman. It seems that the line has been able to survive this though and with Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Robin, Flash, etc, coming up, it shouldn't be a problem again.

I'm guessing this line will endure for many waves. Once we've cleared DC's major players though, then we might get into trouble. I'm not sure anyone is ready to pay fifteen bucks for a Human Top or a Sportsman figure. More than anything, I think this is what's killing Hasbro's Marvel Legends.

But that's another thread...

Overall I've been quite happy with the line, but I can't help but feel they need to start doing different size basic size sculpts as some characters have turned out too bulky. I'd also love to see the T crotch changed as its kind of lame that the figures can't stand up with their legs even kind of close together.

Nobody ever says "Man that new GIJoe line is awesome and reminds me of my youth, but the packaging is iffy, so I'm not buying any of them..."

Not to counter what I think is an excellent point, but I'm pretty certain that Clam has done exactly that, and more than once.

The priorities of the MOC collector are a strange and wondrous beast.

actually, that is true, and not true.

Initially, I said that the FIGURES in the 25th line are iffy, and the packaging is what makes me buy everyone of them. I buy 2 of most of the figures, except the really bad ones (i.e. Serpentor). So in this instance, it was the packaging that revived my feelings of nostalgia and had me buying these guys up.

Then, they changed the packing with wave 8, opting for cheesy glossy cardbacks on cheaper, flimsy, cardstock. This has caused me to skip the figures that I don't care about entirely, since the packaging no longer does it for me.

I am a loose collector first, and a MOC collector sometimes. (with DCSH/DCUC figures, so far I am a MOC collector)

Whooah!!

These are toys!

your profile says you are 29.(I am 35 this is not meant as an insult!!)

Do you remember being young? What were the Toys like then?

I remember, you were lucky to get four points of articulation and paint applied by a drunk monkey who had only three colours to choose from, one of which he had stuck up his A##!

As for a Namor with green trunks and an elbow joint to suit your personal taste, I think all you could have hoped for back then was Superman(classic 4poa), Batman(classic 4poa), Spiderman(classic 4poa),Hulk(classic 4poa)

I think what I am trying to say is enjoy it while you can, me I live somewhere where I will never find these in a shop so your distribution arguement is void from the start and it seems to me you might have the know how to order online.....

Lastly and most importantly..... Electric Superman...... DOES NOT SUCK!!!!!

(just personal opinion y'all!!!)

good point, but my all-time favorite toyline is GiJoe, still the best toyline ever in my opinion. They had plenty of articulation, loads of accessories, and were made with quality that still hasn't been matched today. And if a monkey was painting them, he was the Michaelangelo of monkeys.

As for ordering online, I will never order an action figure that is currently being released at retail online. You just can't trust the quality control of companies today.

As for electric Superman, well why is he the only figure rotting if he doesn't suck? lol... but seriously, why is he being released 2 per case, and Aquaman only one??? Aquaman has a variant too.

I found today: 2 short haired aquamans, 1 long haired, harley, black manta, blue supes red supes, blue sinestro, hal, deahstroke, robin, nightwing

I found today: 2 short haired aquamans, 1 long haired, harley, black manta, blue supes red supes, blue sinestro, hal, deahstroke, robin, nightwing

CAN SOMEBODY PLEEEEAAAASE GET ME SOME DCUC WAVE 3!

I think Mattel is going to suffer but not in the same way.

1.As for the price, you went to an expensive retailer. All figures have gone up, search for the cheapest. Also with the accessories, Manta and Harley have 2 accessories and Aquaman has a big Trident, the weapons are here and Mattel is increasing this over the waves.

2.Wave one suffered a great deal on paint, Orion, Etrigan, and whoa daddy on Red Tornado. Wave 2 is BETTER and I believe Mattel is working on it. All my Firestorms, 6 total have good paint apps.

3. The case ratio is good, its guaranteed if you order a case online, sorry if you don't want all the figures but the case ratio is good and surprisingly the chase figures better stocked than most other toy brands. With Big chains they move stock around for stuff that doesn't sell, so your store could of gotten left over stock from 3 or 4 other stores which is why the ratio is bad and we know EVERYONE has been eating up the classic Aquaman. I also never saw Aquaman on the shelves but since I ordered cases, I got 2 sealed classics and 1 variant...go with ordering cases.

4. I like the packaging, the figures are clearly displayed in the bubble, only thing is that its large and takes up space.

5. Poor distribution with the second wave, lets check out the third and fourth then we will see.

6. Poor distribution. I have seen plenty of wave 1 allover the place, and only 16 wave 2 figures, and now wave 3 is out??? You cant build a fanbase like that.

Why Mattel is going to suffer,

Size - the figures are coming off way out of scale. Wave 1 Batman was too big and Orion is too small. Lobo is ridiculously big and I am not so happy to have him, sure as a collectors piece but his looks dumb next to the rest, and Nightwing appears to be too big also...that is not a good sign.

Figure increase - leave it at 5 figures with 1 extra for a case of 6 and now they are talking about making 7 standard figures per wave. This is the worst, I order 3 cases whihc stretches my budget, this is taking it too far. Also how does variants and chase figures factor into the mix, I don't like variants or chases, its a waste of time locating them, I hate it and think they should be made available online instead of the standard wave in distribution.