Is it wrong to hide action figures at the store?

joenubb

Plain and simple, if the store doesn't want you to do it, don't do it.

They own the merchandise until you buy it. It's their stuff, their rules. Respect their wishes. While this isn't the foremost reason to not stash, it is solid. If I were a store manager and saw someone stashing, I would ban them from the store. I would want to keep the store a neat place, and would want to keep paying customers happy.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the more people hide stuff....... the less chance of future shipment of cases to be allocated to that store.

That might be true...

if the toy that was HID, is never reclaimed and purchased, and is now to be forever stashed behind the chutes & ladders game? @loll@ Is the idea here, that people are just hiding sh@# to be hiding it?

I bet in most cases, these few incidents of desperation toy HIDING results in a fairly quick return and purchase of said hidden item. I understand the problems with it, on a (somewhat twisted) ethical issue or a matter of FOUL PLAY from collectors etiqutte viewpoint, but in the end...

the stores are probably MORE concerned about what's trying to be slipped out the front doors, or in some cases out the BACK doors (by employees) than somebody taking objects from point A to point B and leaving it there. Maybe not even HIDDEN, just not where it's SUPPOSE to be, in hopes that it will be there later for pickup? I doubt too many store employees are standing around like Mr. Whipple ready to pounce on some stupid b@#ch for SQUEEZING THE CHARMIN....let alone putting toys behind the Charmin! ^_^

the more people hide stuff....... the less chance of future shipment of cases to be allocated to that store.

I said that earlier in this thread

The stores comp will not take them out of the system because there not being rung up

That means we become stagnent and people come in complaining of why we get no more of a certain item

That might be true...

if the toy that was HID, is never reclaimed and purchased, and is now to be forever stashed behind the chutes & ladders game? @loll@ Is the idea here, that people are just hiding sh@# to be hiding it?

I bet in most cases, these few incidents of desperation toy HIDING results in a fairly quick return and purchase of said hidden item. I understand the problems with it, on a (somewhat twisted) ethical issue or a matter of FOUL PLAY from collectors etiqutte viewpoint, but in the end...

the stores are probably MORE concerned about what's trying to be slipped out the front doors, or in some cases out the BACK doors (by employees) than somebody taking objects from point A to point B and leaving it there. Maybe not even HIDDEN, just not where it's SUPPOSE to be, in hopes that it will be there later for pickup? I doubt too many store employees are standing around like Mr. Whipple ready to pounce on some stupid b@#ch for SQUEEZING THE CHARMIN....let alone putting toys behind the Charmin! ^_^

I'm sorry VH.. but you are way wrong here man... If you walk into any Target or Walmart here, and lift up the bottom shelves, you will find tons of hidden toys.. from Hotwheels, to Starwars, Superheroes to Littlest Petshop... People do hide stuff for the long term or to never return for it. They gotta see if its gonna be a "hot" item... or they are waiting for it to go on clearance before they buy it... trust me.

check under the bottom shelves in your Walmart next time you go in... chances are there will be toys there. just lift them straight up

I suppose it depends on the defintion of "wrong" you're using.

Is it morally wrong? I doubt it.

However, I don't and wouldn't do it bc it's annoying and only hurts the fandom.

I would feel like crap if I hid a toy and some kid came around and was disappointed bc they couldn't find that toy they wanted.

I also don't like being on the "recieving end" of this: I go to a store and leave empty-handed bc someone decided to throw the last optimus prime behind some microwaves.

If you don't have the funds, leave it there. Make a kid happy. Make a fellow collector happy.

Now, if you're doing it bc of a known scalper, more power to ya.

From the store's point of view, I doubt they care much. They're not making money off of toys. Now, if you were stashing dvd's, mp3 players or small tv's, then they'd have a problem.

That might be true...

I'm sorry VH.. but you are way wrong here man... If you walk into any Target or Walmart here, and lift up the bottom shelves, you will find tons of hidden toys.. from Hotwheels, to Starwars, Superheroes to Littlest Petshop... People do hide stuff for the long term or to never return for it. They gotta see if its gonna be a "hot" item... or they are waiting for it to go on clearance before they buy it... trust me.

check under the bottom shelves in your Walmart next time you go in... chances are there will be toys there. just lift them straight up

Maybe toys are intentionally hidden, maybe they make it there through less diabolical means. Today I was at a Wal Mart when I noticed that between the floor and the bottom shelf wasn't sealed off. I crouched down to see if there was anything hidden under there, but not really. I don't consider finding a random peg warming wave 7 Snake Eyes the work of the dreaded toy stasher. @smilepunch@

going back to my idea of taking from carts and baskets, now...what if it wasn;t a collector...but a scalper? yeah, thats right..

what if you were walking round the aisles and you saw a scalper with a loaded cart of BMFs or chase variant figures or short packed figures and he had his back turned...would you do it then as revenge?

I know I certainly would then and I have done. I was in TRU once and I saw a scalper with a basket loaded with some indy figures. I noticed he was up the star wars aisle and he'd left his basket at the end of the aisle. I could tell it was a scalper because of the pile of star wars figures and GI Joes of all the same by his side and a second cart beside him. I smirked and helped myself to some of his loot.

Is that as bad?

going back to my idea of taking from carts and baskets, now...what if it wasn;t a collector...but a scalper? yeah, thats right..

what if you were walking round the aisles and you saw a scalper with a loaded cart of BMFs or chase variant figures or short packed figures and he had his back turned...would you do it then as revenge?

I know I certainly would then and I have done. I was in TRU once and I saw a scalper with a basket loaded with some indy figures. I noticed he was up the star wars aisle and he'd left his basket at the end of the aisle. I could tell it was a scalper because of the pile of star wars figures and GI Joes of all the same by his side and a second cart beside him. I smirked and helped myself to some of his loot.

Is that as bad?

Well if a scalper had a cartful (possibly 3) Of the BMF then he would be a fool

I mean right now the $150 price on it is too steep for people why would selling it for more help?

If your stupid enough to buy this online at the marked up price along with s&h then you need your head examined since the stores price will be lower and you know they will be in stock

That might be true...

We ran across that a few weeks ago while reseting toys

We lifted up the base shelves to clean them off and low and behold about 20 Hot Wheels cars were hidden underneath

I have done it (when I was a kid and didn't have my own money) and I'd do it today. I'd only hide things if I have the intent to return for it right away, and I would only hide something of 'value' to me so I would naturally want it right away. With that, the equation is sound.

But if someone hides something and waits more than a day... I don't get it.

Tom

That might be true...

That's only like 1 out of 50 people doing that. The other 49 hide things and actually go back and get the stuff later. It's not like a huge problem where there are too many people doing it just for the hell of it. I it was a big enough of a problem the stores would find a way to prevent it by either checking under the shelves on a regular basis or bolt them down better.

Generally, I'll only hide something if I intend to be back within 6 hours. I usually go on toy-runs with a full walet, but if something large or a lot of things come in at the same time, I'll have to run to the bank to make up the difference.

Otherwise, for me its fair game for others and I just leave it.

Similarly, if someone finds my stash in the time I'm gone, they're free to take it. It isn't exclusively mine, and to that end I usually hide it in the vacinity. Scalpers usually won't take the time to hunt around for something not on the pegs, kids and collectors will, so I know that if my stash disappeared it probably went to a good home. Similarly, if I find another stash, I may take a couple things that I've looked long and hard for (usually though I'll just leave it or return it to the pegs).

I know there's a bit of a double standard in there but....

@can@

im with you man.

That might be true...

I bet if I go over to the clothing dept. and lift up a bottom shelf, there will be a ton of clothing items under there also? ^_^ I was walking thru a Walmart just a week (or so) ago and they were moving around some old center aisles by the video section, and underneath one of the shelving units that was just moved, were some movies, some cd's, a LOOSE Sigma Six Gung Ho figure and the thing that got the store employee all fired up was the half eaten Chicken Mcnugget.

It's hard to say what all the hell goes on in these stores, but I know that there are goofballs out there doing all kinds of crazy sh@#, so I'm not denying the act occurs, it's that I just don't really care all that much about it. They're toys.

No.

Despite the aggravation of seeing our WANTED items being scooped up by another and even regardless of their intentions for the items (most of which we just can't be 100% certain of) I couldn't imagine TAKING something from them, or out of an unwatched cart.

I would be forever ashamed of myself for becoming one of those women who wrestle and fight with other women over a Cabbage Patch doll at Christmas time. An encounter with another collector over something so stupid would be the equivalent for me and i would see no justification in it.

That might be true...

I bet if I go over to the clothing dept. and lift up a bottom shelf, there will be a ton of clothing items under there also? ^_^ I was walking thru a Walmart just a week (or so) ago and they were moving around some old center aisles by the video section, and underneath one of the shelving units that was just moved, were some movies, some cd's, a LOOSE Sigma Six Gung Ho figure and the thing that got the store employee all fired up was the half eaten Chicken Mcnugget.

It's hard to say what all the hell goes on in these stores, but I know that there are goofballs out there doing all kinds of crazy sh@#, so I'm not denying the act occurs, it's that I just don't really care all that much about it. They're toys.

A half eaten chicken nugget? I have found dead mice under those. When the store I last worked at closed we had to take evey shelf down and there was all kinds of stuff under them. Even a used pair of underwear.

Even a used pair of underwear.

@loll@

I'm afraid to ask what DETAILS qualified it as..."used"?

No.

Despite the aggravation of seeing our WANTED items being scooped up by another and even regardless of their intentions for the items (most of which we just can't be 100% certain of) I couldn't imagine TAKING something from them, or out of an unwatched cart.

I would be forever ashamed of myself for becoming one of those women who wrestle and fight with other women over a Cabbage Patch doll at Christmas time. An encounter with another collector over something so stupid would be the equivalent for me and i would see no justification in it.

Remember the Tickle me Elmo craze in I think it was xmas of 95?

I heard stories of people grabbing Elmos out of other peoples carts.Even unattended carts

On Black Friday people are relentless so that unwritten rule of leaving ones shopping cart doesn't apply

If people are stupid enough to leave there carts unattended so they can waltz down aisles ( In my nearly 25 years in retail I have seen this happen)

Others veiw them as abandoned carts and just go at it like wild dogs at a feast