Is it wrong to hide action figures at the store?

joenubb

OK..I'm gonna admit it. I've stashed before and hit stashes. When I'm in TRU, I give everywhere a good search. At the end of the day, its fair game. If someone stashes something and I find it..and I want it, I;m taking it. Its not like I'm scalping. Its something I've found for my personal collection or for a friend. I'm not selling it on for a hyped up price.

But one thing I'm interested in, is whether anyone's actually gonna admit to (if they would) or actually have taken from another collector's trolley or shopping basket?

Like if a collector was down an aisle and engrossed in pegs and you saw a figure you wanted and it was the last one in the store in his trolley or basket, would you take it?

I would, cause like stashing, it all fair game until you hit the check out.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it could be a case of 'card mashers', the wave nine figures I first found were mashed all to heck too. Maybe it's a card masher, maybe it's a clumsy employee who crushed it. Who knows?

That explanation was always my first (almost ONLY) thought on seeing crumpled and bent cards before, but now having read about such things being the DELIBERATE act of mentally challenged weirdo collector types...I had to wonder, when I saw them. The thing that made me most suspicious, was the fact that it was select figures, almost entirely ones that have been sorta hard to find, and all the typical peg warmer figures were untouched. Just seemed a little too coincidental I guess? ^_^

Also, I came across three Hiss Drivers in Wal Mart the other day and proceeded to put them back on the shelf.

DAMN YOU! @grumpy@ I wondered where those went to!

@smilepunch@

While it could be a case of 'card mashers', the wave nine figures I first found were mashed all to heck too. Maybe it's a card masher, maybe it's a clumsy employee who crushed it. Who knows?

That explanation was always my first (almost ONLY) thought on seeing crumpled and bent cards before, but now having read about such things being the DELIBERATE act of mentally challenged weirdo collector types...I had to wonder, when I saw them. The thing that made me most suspicious, was the fact that it was select figures, almost entirely ones that have been sorta hard to find, and all the typical peg warmer figures were untouched. Just seemed a little too coincidental I guess? ^_^

As I stated before it sometimes comes off the truck in a crushed case from having something like Tide or water on it

@smilepunch@

As I stated before it sometimes comes off the truck in a crushed case from having something like Tide or water on it

@smilepunch@

That box of Tide had pretty good aim then. It only hit and damaged the ones I wanted! @loll@

But one thing I'm interested in, is whether anyone's actually gonna admit to (if they would) or actually have taken from another collector's trolley or shopping basket?

Like if a collector was down an aisle and engrossed in pegs and you saw a figure you wanted and it was the last one in the store in his trolley or basket, would you take it?

wow.

just wow.

I am kinda ashamed you joined this site.

wow.

just wow.

Exactly. I am sorry but that is is worse than a scalper.

So you are saying that, if in a cafeteria for example.......you would take food off a stranger's tray or plate while they were in the line?

Its the same kind of creepy thing, and if you really do this, it reflects very badly on you.

Sometimes the difference between stupidity and wisdom is the perspective you take, and you might want to think about adjusting your perspective somewhat.

@smilepunch@

That box of Tide had pretty good aim then. It only hit and damaged the ones I wanted! @loll@

I have seen it happen It doesn't bother me since I open most of my things

So you are saying that, if in a cafeteria for example.......you would take food off a stranger's tray or plate while they were in the line?

Its the same kind of creepy thing, and if you really do this, it reflects very badly on you.

Sometimes the difference between stupidity and wisdom is the perspective you take, and you might want to think about adjusting your perspective somewhat.

Also people tend to put personal things they own in their carts like coats, purses and children. Plain and simple it's bad manners to take from someone elses cart no matter what is in it.

What if someone puts thier jacket in the cart and someone takes it thinking it is not paid for yet and they want it? If someone were to take that out it would be stealing. What if the toy was for a kids birthday? Most people would feel guilty taking a kids birthday present.

Once something is in a cart it is not still fair game it is claimed by the person buying it. It's not quit stealing but very close. Actually it is stealing because you are stealing it from someone elses cart but you can't be arrested for it. You can be kicked out of stores and banned from them. It's just bad conduct and fellow shoppers should act proper in stores. It's as bad as screaming obsenities in a store, you just don't do that.

Once something is in a cart it is not still fair game it is claimed by the person buying it. It's not quit stealing but very close. Actually it is stealing because you are stealing it from someone elses cart but you can't be arrested for it. You can be kicked out of stores and banned from them.

North American common law usually finds that possession in 9/10ths of the law. So one a person has taken the item into their reach, placed it in a shopping cart with intent to purchase, then its going to been seen as theirs. That is how a almost any court in North American would see the matter.

Someone coming along and taking the item from their cart, with deliberation, can be seen to be stealing-- even though the item does not yet contractually belong to the purchaser.

So its not fair game in that instance.

In the case of stashing an item, there is no possession taking place, because the item is being left on neutral ground ( the store), so if someone else finds the stash, it IS fair game for them to purchase it.

Arrow... Exulted Unicron lives in Great Britain

So North American law doesn't apply

But British Common law does, as its where North American common law ( both Canadian and American) derives from.

But British Common law does, as its where North American common law (both Canadian and American) derives from.

Oh ok I thought they might have different takes on the law that we do

Once something is in a cart it is not still fair game it is claimed by the person buying it. It's not quit stealing but very close. Actually it is stealing because you are stealing it from someone elses cart but you can't be arrested for it. You can be kicked out of stores and banned from them.

North American common law usually finds that possession in 9/10ths of the law. So one a person has taken the item into their reach, placed it in a shopping cart with intent to purchase, then its going to been seen as theirs. That is how a almost any court in North American would see the matter.

Someone coming along and taking the item from their cart, with deliberation, can be seen to be stealing-- even though the item does not yet contractually belong to the purchaser.

So its not fair game in that instance.

In the case of stashing an item, there is no possession taking place, because the item is being left on neutral ground ( the store), so if someone else finds the stash, it IS fair game for them to purchase it.

I'm not talking just about laws or going to court over anything. When I was a manager I watched customers like a hawk for shoplifters. I would also witness on rare occasion someone take something from anothers cart. We had a problem for awhile with a few people taking purses from carts. If someone was seen taking someone from a cart they could get in trouble by that stores managment. Police or laws don't need to be brought in. The person would just flat out be banned from the store. That was a store policy. If someone broke store policy or came in, caused trouble again after being kicked out or banned they could be arrested for that. There are ways to get into major trouble for taking items from someone's cart and it does not have to be a law.

Like everyone else here, I think that's really crappy that you would do that. How would you feel if you got caught as you're dipping your hand into someone else's cart? It might not be stealing in a legal sense, but it's stealing in a moral sense.

I have to agree with VH that the "window of acquisition" is getting narrower. I have something like 15 stores to shop at and I found B.A.T.s at ONE of them.

Of course I bought them, even though money is tight, but I HAVE hid before. Ironically, it was more when I HAD money to buy, just either wasn't sure I wanted or didn't have the cash or time to get the cash. Lame reasoning, I admit.

It wasn't until I had a tighter budget that I "mellowed" about hiding. If I didn't have the money to get it, why even BOTHER to hide it? If I'm persistent, I'll find what I want eventually.

(for the most part, I'm still mad that none of my Targets EVER got in the exclusive vehicles; except for one banged up Night Spector).

Someone made the comment about Hasbro needs to SLOW DONE with putting out new waves (I think, lol). Actually the just need to figure out what obviously sells and what doesn't. It was REALLY stupid to include Wild Bill and Viper, for example, in two successive (or near successive) waves. Why not a whole wave of army builders?

Like everyone else here, I think that's really crappy that you would do that. How would you feel if you got caught as you're dipping your hand into someone else's cart? It might not be stealing in a legal sense, but it's stealing in a moral sense.

Or the easiest example. I doubt he would like it if someone filched from HIS cart.

theres nothing wrong with that! i do it all the time. at least you aint scalping the damn thing. i hid all the jokers at my k-mart from the toy secton and moved it into the household appliances inside a washing machine so i can get money and get it. i ended up buying three of'em. hey, if they were in front of your face, you'd do it too!

But British Common law does, as its where North American common law (both Canadian and American) derives from.

Oh ok I thought they might have different takes on the law that we do

Nahh Remember we are America where our common laws are everybodys laws @firedevil@

Only Kidding! Now, What he is talking about is wrong but I tell you what if someone puts it down and walks away, Oh yeah, that bad boy is mine. That happen one time when i was a kid tryign to get grimlock. I put him down one time and this snot nose little brat os about eight years grabs him and runs away with him. Oh I was pissed. Mind you i was about 12 and I wanted to kick his butt but my mom calmed me down and told me I should never put things down. Well form that point if it is in my cart and that cart is an extension of me, well that is just being a Charlton. @hmmm@

Just for the record, it seems that my question raised alot of angry thoughts. The thing was, I've never done it and I don;'t plan on doing it. I was merely asking a valid question that was in relation to the thread, since I've seen many saying they'd take from other people's stashes if they found them and were what they wanted.

I do apologise for anything that was taken the wrong way.

It is all Good. That was not as bad as the time I told my friends and family that at the end of Dark knight Dick Grayson is seen pulling up at the Mansion coming home from college and asking Bruce what happen?" I had alot of people convinced of that and one poor guy went to see it three different times at different places to make sure there wasn't a different film. he was not happy with me after the fact but it was funny. @bananna@ yeah, I know I am terrible.

Just for the record, it seems that my question raised alot of angry thoughts. The thing was, I've never done it and I don;'t plan on doing it. I was merely asking a valid question that was in relation to the thread, since I've seen many saying they'd take from other people's stashes if they found them and were what they wanted.

What offended everybody is the fact that you consider it to be 'fair game' to take from someone else who clearly has the intent to purchase an item. Taking from an anonymous stash is fine as no one has them in hand saying "I will buy this item".

wow.

just wow.

Exactly. I am sorry but that is is worse than a scalper.

That depends for me. If its a scalper hording all the figures, I'll grab it. I don't give a rat's butt - I'll take that if he's busy taking all the 'chase variants' and buy the figure that I need to complete my collection.

OK..I'm gonna admit it. I've stashed before and hit stashes. When I'm in TRU, I give everywhere a good search. At the end of the day, its fair game. If someone stashes something and I find it..and I want it, I;m taking it. Its not like I'm scalping. Its something I've found for my personal collection or for a friend. I'm not selling it on for a hyped up price.

I could see how that was taken the wrong way

It is all Good. That was not as bad as the time I told my friends and family that at the end of Dark knight Dick Grayson is seen pulling up at the Mansion coming home from college and asking Bruce what happen?" I had alot of people convinced of that and one poor guy went to see it three different times at different places to make sure there wasn't a different film. he was not happy with me after the fact but it was funny. @bananna@ yeah, I know I am terrible.

Yeah you told me the same thing but thank god I haven't seen the Dark Knight yet orI would of been pissed