Is it wrong to hide action figures at the store?

joenubb

It is directed to anyone that it fits. someone who has to have something so bad that they hide it because they don't have the money is far too into the toys and not enough into working and establishing a career that will allow them the resources to buy a toy any time they want - which is what they should be focused on in life.

a collector who doesn't have the money and just leaves an item has a much more sound perspective on what is important and probably isn't as obsessed about the toys -- the very reason why the former example is probably broke to begin with. so, not having the money isn't indicative of the person, it is also their perspective and effort in life, and it is the combination of the three which identify whether they are making sound decisions in the other areas in their life and should probably not be buying toys to begin with.

If there were ever a Collector's Manifesto, wisdom like the above should be in it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is directed to anyone that it fits. someone who has to have something so bad that they hide it because they don't have the money is far too into the toys and not enough into working and establishing a career that will allow them the resources to buy a toy any time they want - which is what they should be focused on in life.

a collector who doesn't have the money and just leaves an item has a much more sound perspective on what is important and probably isn't as obsessed about the toys -- the very reason why the former example is probably broke to begin with. so, not having the money isn't indicative of the person, it is also their perspective and effort in life, and it is the combination of the three which identify whether they are making sound decisions in the other areas in their life and should probably not be buying toys to begin with.

If there were ever a Collector's Manifesto, wisdom like the above should be in it.

I wouldn't go that far. It's just a snobbish attitude that places collectors in various classes, and I tend to despise an attitude like that. <_<

I think some collectors struggle with their OWN infatuation with a childs TOY so much, that they come up with all these ridiculous ideas of what's PROPER and what's not and in order to appear to be MORE of an ADULT about something that's still basically pretty childish, they blow a LOT of intellectual smoke up other peoples butts over some concept of a collectors etiqutte and that somehow justifies the childish hobby...in their insecure little minds.

When we start lecturing fellow collectors on other crap, like how NOT to do (or say) this or how we SHOULD do (and say) that, and then throw in some slights against their mental or financial HEALTH, if it goes against our "rules"...I think we've gone a little too far and bottom line is, we've all got problems just as much as the next guy. The whole idea of collecting action figures is pretty whacked if we want to get right down in the gutters about it, but whatever makes us feel better about this little hobby of ours, if it means trying to convince ourselves that WE collect in a better manner than everyone else, is becoming the name of the game for some folks?

If somebody gets to a toy before we do and either buys it right then, puts it in layaway, takes it to customer service and requests a hold for it, or HIDES it somewhere in the store....it's all still just a matter of somebody has gotten to it before US, and that's what we're really sqawkin' about here isn't it?

While I admitted to having "stashed" an item or two in my 25 + years of G.I.Joe collecting, I also have poked fun at it as I realize it's pretty silly, but that's as far as I'd feel comfortable in GOING with it. Any further with it, and you start judging people on the act (of stashing) as though their scumbag, lowlifes, with little money, piss poor priorities and no business being in the same hobby with the other RICH folks.

Snobbish!

I want to see someone try to stash one of the new Millennium Falcons successfully. @lol@

I want to see someone try to stash one of the new Millennium Falcons successfully. @lol@

I think it's already stashed in the best possible place.

Right under the sign that says $149.99!!

@haha@

When we start lecturing fellow collectors on other crap, like how NOT to do (or say) this or how we SHOULD do (and say) that, and then throw in some slights against their mental or financial HEALTH, if it goes against our "rules"...I think we've gone a little too far and bottom line is, we've all got problems just as much as the next guy. The whole idea of collecting action figures is pretty whacked if we want to get right down in the gutters about it, but whatever makes us feel better about this little hobby of ours, if it means trying to convince ourselves that WE collect in a better manner than everyone else, is becoming the name of the game for some folks?

I'm not meaning it in a snobbish light, and I've been poking fun as well, perhaps in spite of my tone throughout.

Were a "collectors manifesto" ever written, it'd be a guide, not a series of commandments.

Collecting is a hobby, not a religion or a following.

( Though attending a toy convention is not unlike a pilgrimage.....)

The one thing I have observed over the years is that enough people are creatures of habit and get set in ways that clearly are not serving them.

And like any pattern of learned helplessness, trying something new is a lot scarier than sticking with something that is frustrating. Some folks are just........comfortable that way.

I can never fathom why someone would settle for that though, when other options do exist, as my long "evangelical" discourses about "happy collecting" attest. :P

But its ALWAYS to each their own and always "lead by example", I say.

I'm not meaning it in a snobbish light, and I've been poking fun as well, perhaps in spite of my tone throughout.

Were a "collectors manifesto" ever written, it'd be a guide, not a series of commandments.

oh..I wasn't coming down on you Ken or suggesting YOU had the snobbish attitude I was talking about. I was just disagreeing with your endorsement of gscbr's comments, as I DO find him to be on the snobbish (and rude) side, so if a "manifesto" was ever to be written, I sure wouldn't want his input involved. I'd like to keep the hobby fun and lighthearted and not too SERIOUS or professional, less anal in nature, so that probably means keeping it more on the immature side....I dunno. ^_^

Collectors are not unlike the very action figures they collect. Some are Mint On Card, and others are LOOSE! @haha@

I'm generally not that bothered by people doing whatever they like as long as it doesn't starts to prevent others from doing the same. I frankly don't quite understand a person going to a store without sufficient money to buy what they're looking for, much less using it to justify strange activities like hiding a store's merchandise.

On the whole though, it seems like all the different views espoused have someone a little too obsessed with this hobby. Yeah, it's a free country (and, practically speaking, you can't really stop someone hell-bent on going out of their way to stash a toy or find your stash). But when I stand back and look at it all, I have to figure that the best way to counter obsessive behavior isn't really by becoming even more obsessed at foiling their attempts. I'd just rather extricate myself from the toy aisle battlefields.

I frankly don't quite understand a person going to a store without sufficient money to buy what they're looking for, much less using it to justify strange activities like hiding a store's merchandise.

On this...I can only comment for myself, but there are MANY times where I'm out and just "hunting" or checking to see if any of the new stuff is in yet. I guess the technical name for it, would be "window shopping"? I have priorities though, and I think them to be in pretty decent order and that would mean that I take care of quite a number of more important things, before I indulge myself in the G.I.Joe hobby. While i feel i earn a comfortable living and can manage a pretty good budget for myself, I'm by NO means so wealthy that i have unlimited funds or a large disposable income to "play" with and there are times when I'm out "hunting" just for the fun of it or just to see where the stuff might be showing up finally, not to mention to handle and inspect the items...firsthand. I don't go in with any intentions of actually buying something (especially when you don't know for sure if anything is even there) on those weeks where I'm tapped out from other responsibilities.

The state of the hobby today is so competitive and complicated though, that it's not like it was when I first started. Back then, once I'd made a firsthand discovery of the new waves at retail, I knew that it was just a matter of me putting together my "play" funds and going back later to get the new items and this could be MONTHS later. That's not going to be the case today, not at all.

With that....I guess I'm more understanding of both the act of "window shopping" (doesn't anybody else do that? @hmmm@ ) and the desperation of finding something you don't have the money for at the MOMENT and being desperate enough to try and stash it. Not exactly condoning it (it's just really silly and juvenile) but not condemning it either as though I'm APPALLED by it. ^_^

On the whole though, it seems like all the different views espoused have someone a little too obsessed with this hobby. Yeah, it's a free country (and, practically speaking, you can't really stop someone hell-bent on going out of their way to stash a toy or find your stash). But when I stand back and look at it all, I have to figure that the best way to counter obsessive behavior isn't really by becoming even more obsessed at foiling their attempts. I'd just rather extricate myself from the toy aisle battlefields.

@lol@

It does seem as though the hobby has taken on a bit of a "battle" within itself, or at least become a competitive sport?

This probably explains more on the "obsessive" behavior than anything else. The window of opportunity on finding and buying this stuff just keeps getting more narrow. The THRILL of even seeing half the stuff at retail might be a little too much on our patience, especially when trip after trip turns up NADA, ZILCH, and that can cause all sorts of erratic excessive compulsive behavior out of us. It's bad enough just trying to KEEP UP with the toy line let alone, trying to keep up with all the other collectors who scalp, hoard, army build, buy for others, customize and buy multiples, and on top of that, the ones that apparently have more money to blow than even OTHER collectors, are now insulting the ones that have to budget and save, and if a lowly budgeting collector is so desperate enough as to HIDE an item they really want, and have every intention of buying later is appalling to these other snobs, then i agree, it's time to reevaluate your interests and stop turning something fun into a constant "battle" of proper collecting etiquette.

It's not that I'm being snobish, it's just that from my own experience, when cash is tight, toy collecting is one of the first things to get put on hold, and I mean to the point that I don't even look (to avoid temptation).

Now, I do make a decent living, but the point is, if you're living paycheque to paycheque I strongly advise you to tighten your belt and start saving money, due to the many what ifs in life.

Eg: What if my car breaks down (assuming you're dependant on one)? What if I lose my job? What if something happens to my house etc, etc....

Again, from my point of view, if I have to hide even a $35.00 item becasue I can't pay for it right there and then, in my mind I've way bigger problems than building my collection. If I'm at that point (and I have been), I'm not even at the store because my wallet just got tighter than a frog's butt.

I do it all the time. Its not like its a law not to hide toys in stores. Its a very good way to keep something there that you can come back later and get. And its helpful if you can't decide between 2 things and want both, or if theres only a few left.

Now, I do make a decent living, but the point is, if you're living paycheque to paycheque I strongly advise you to tighten your belt and start saving money, due to the many what ifs in life.

Eg: What if my car breaks down (assuming you're dependant on one)? What if I lose my job? What if something happens to my house etc, etc....

Again, from my point of view, if I have to hide even a $35.00 item becasue I can't pay for it right there and then, in my mind I've way bigger problems than building my collection. If I'm at that point (and I have been), I'm not even at the store because my wallet just got tighter than a frog's butt.

You make a good point Arrow. I know if I ever got to the point where I was living paycheque to paycheque, I wouldn't allow myself to even go near toy asiles or stores.

However, what if you simply forgot your credit card(s) at home and didn't have sufficient cash with you at the moment to buy the figures you had found, and just needed to run to the bank (or ATM) to make a withdrawal or run home to get your plastic and come back? Would you be willing to stash the figures for the half-hour it took to make the run and return, or leave the figures on the peg and risk losing them, assuming the store doesn't have layaway; most of the big box stores around me don't hold things (ie. TRU, wally)?

@can@

However, what if you simply forgot your credit card(s) at home and didn't have sufficient cash with you at the moment to buy the figures you had found, and just needed to run to the bank (or ATM) to make a withdrawal or run home to get your plastic and come back? Would you be willing to stash the figures for the half-hour it took to make the run and return, or leave the figures on the peg and risk losing them, assuming the store doesn't have layaway; most of the big box stores around me don't hold things (ie. TRU, wally)?

Y'know.......that's too much work.

I get nothing out of arriving back at a toy-store all out of breath hoping that something is still there.

I used to do that sort of thing, but I came to realize that the sensation just isn't worth it for me.

So, if the item cannot be held for me, I let it go, because I know from repeated practise that I'll get another shot at it down the line.

That's why the hobby is enjoyable for me.....there's no sense of urgency about it.

(Besides, if I needed to run to a bank or ATM, I'd just use my debit card on site and avoid the trip anyway. The only place I can think of where I'd not have that option would be a toy show, and I just do not attend those anymore. If I did not have my debit card or cash, I'd pass)

Y'know.......that's too much work.

I get nothing out of arriving back at a toy-store all out of breath hoping that something is still there.

I used to do that sort of thing, but I came to realize that the sensation just isn't worth it for me.

So, if the item cannot be held for me, I let it go, because I know from repeated practise that I'll get another shot at it down the line.

That's why the hobby is enjoyable for me.....there's no sense of urgency about it.

(Besides, if I needed to run to a bank or ATM, I'd just use my debit card on site and avoid the trip anyway. The only place I can think of where I'd not have that option would be a toy show, and I just do not attend those anymore. If I did not have my debit card or cash, I'd pass)

What he said.

It's not that I'm being snobish, it's just that from my own experience, when cash is tight, toy collecting is one of the first things to get put on hold, and I mean to the point that I don't even look (to avoid temptation).

Well, I understand the brunt of your position here, but I don't personally want to equate hiding toys to some form of lower income, poverty-stricken or "living paycheck to paycheck" type individual. There's a lot of reasons as to why somebody MIGHT resort to such a thing, and (as I've already admitted to) I've strolled dwon that path a time or two myself, and while i couldn't see myself doing it NOW, I can still remember my state of mind at the time it was done, and it certainly wasn't anything worth being judged over, to the likes I'm seeing some of the commneting about it, going on HERE.

It almost reads as some sort of "YOU'RE BREAKING THE RU-WHULS!!..THAT'S NOT FAIR!! ..HEYYYY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!" type of hissy fit, because that toy-hider might have just HID the very thing you just came in to GET, and it adds to the aggrevation of not finding it, knowing that it MIGHT have been hidden instead of BOUGHT by another collector. It's all still pretty stupid, but I guess I don't see it as something all that common or widespread. I never see half the sh@# anyway, hidden, bought or not even STOCKED...it's always an empty peg that greets me. @haha@

That's something we ALL have to think about and hopefully be well prepared for. I'm not going to lecture another collector though, on THEIR personal choices and money saving or spending practices. That's a wee bit TOO personal a topic and one I'm not real comfortable in.

Not every collector is probably as PREPARED when toy hunting day comes around...I dunno. Everyone has different problems and if stashing a toy is as big a problem as somebody MIGHT have, i'd rather say they're not TOo awful bad off. Now take the guy that STEALS for his toy hunting excursions, or neglects his home, family and other financial responsibilities altogether, like a drug addict only they're a TOY addict? Now i think we're touching on some REAL problems, but that type of personal insight (into each of us) is likely not going to be available. Who KNOWS what TRUE evil lurks in the hearts of us G.I.Joe collectors??? @firedevil@

There are more then just GI Joe collecters here....

I have been broke most of the summer.Hours cut ,Bills popping up when you thin k your going tyo have money..

I look at the figures in the stores especially the Target I work in but I just don't have it in me to hide them again like I used too.

I just know they will be there when I do get some money again

I wish somebody would tell HASBRO that!

SLOOOOOOOOOW THE F@#K DOWN!!!

^_^

Old topic, and sorta off topic, but I went to a Meijers store today a found a Snow Serpent & Bazooka figure I was needing (they weren't hidden) but the cards were crinkled, bent and some even mashed to hell, and it seem to be all the ones that were in low stock, while all the Wild Bills seem to be in pristine condition, which led me to think that this whole "CARD MASHER" phenomenon is REAL?

:huh:

There are actually collectors out there that do THIS?

There are actually collectors out there that do THIS?

Amongst other bizarre acts of vandalism, and fraud.........yes.

Heh, for a while there, back in the late 90's, Target would deliberately hole-punch cards on certain "hot" toys to deter collectors from buying them.

Imagine that, vandalizing your own merchandise so a segment of your customers will not want to buy it..........

While it could be a case of 'card mashers', the wave nine figures I first found were mashed all to heck too. Maybe it's a card masher, maybe it's a clumsy employee who crushed it. Who knows?

Also, I came across three Hiss Drivers in Wal Mart the other day and proceeded to put them back on the shelf.