Is it wrong to hide action figures at the store?

joenubb

I dont usually stash 1) because nothing I collect is in stores anymore and 2) I've always used card so I never had to worry about not having the cash.

Once though I did hide the 25th Joe boxset at Target when it was on clearance in hopes that I could keep it hidden until it became 75% off. It didn't work. I didnt do any elaborate hiding. Just behind some games. It was found and bought (or hid somewhere else) when it was still 50% off.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

The main reason I Stash is because..... Since I'm the main Action Figure collector in my suburb area, I look out for over twenty other collectors and friends of mine ........ everything from Gi Joe & Star Wars to Marvel & Mcfarlane .... When I scope out the stores and I see something that I know that some-one else needs I stash it for them ....and 95% of the time they'll pick it up within the next day ....What I'll usually do is Call , Text, or Pix message them telling where I've hiden whatever it is I've hidden....... and a good percentage of collectors where I live know me and always ask me to keep an Eye out for what they need.......

Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! Stashing Rules! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

@loll@ Maybe we should establish the rules for all collectors. Anybody want to take a shot at it?

Rule #1: Toys can be stashed ONLY in the toy section.

You guys do know Customer Service will hold things for you right?

Go up to the counter smile at the lil nice girl and say, hey babe I want to buy this but I don't have the money for it on me and I left my debit card at home. She will say when are you coming back, you tell her, if she is still at work when you state when you she is coming back, she will probaly tell you to bring her back somthing for lunch. You do this get your toy and a Phone number and freindship with a girl who works at the store you buy your toys from. True Story.

On another note back when I was a lil chap my freind was going to Playworld for his birthday to get his Flagg, well his mom let us roam around. So we had nothing else better to do so we opened up the box and stashed over a dozen figuers in it. Mom comes up he says I want that one, This ones box is open you don't want that one yes I do.

Its also wrong to pay almost $4 for a gallon of gas and the gas companies make like 11 billion profit. SCREW CORPARATE AMERICA or they will screw us first..

Chopz

I don't think getting screwed by corporations really has anything to do with the fact that if you are an adult that is too broke to buy a toy at any point of your adult life and need to hide it so you can get it another time, you probably shouldn't be collecting toys at all because you obviously either don't make enough money and should focused on improving your career or you're simply bad with money and shouldn't be blowing it on frivolous items.

I don't think getting screwed by corporations really has anything to do with the fact that if you are an adult that is too broke to buy a toy at any point of your adult life and need to hide it so you can get it another time, you probably shouldn't be collecting toys at all because you obviously either don't make enough money and should focused on improving your career or you're simply bad with money and shouldn't be blowing it on frivolous items.

Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to say that. I agree, If you can't buy a figure on the spot you've got way bigger problems than being able to build you're collection. Always have a savings at any given time.

The main reason I Stash is because..... Since I'm the main Action Figure collector in my suburb area, I look out for over twenty other collectors and friends of mine ........ everything from Gi Joe & Star Wars to Marvel & Mcfarlane .... When I scope out the stores and I see something that I know that some-one else needs I stash it for them ....and 95% of the time they'll pick it up within the next day ....What I'll usually do is Call , Text, or Pix message them telling where I've hiden whatever it is I've hidden....... and a good percentage of collectors where I live know me and always ask me to keep an Eye out for what they need.......

that's the only reason why I've done it in the past, but it seemed like every time I did, people already had it after I told them, so I pretty much stopped..

The stashers I cant stand are the ones that stash to wait for it to go on clearance, there was one guy here that used to brag about it all the time.. that riffles my feathers.. how cheap can you be.. I think that's right there under swappers in my book!!!

The only time I have hid toys was when my wife sent me to the store and I have left my checkbook at home, so I put it behind some crap went home got my hobbie checkbook and bought it. I keep two checking accounts. About 5 years ago I decided that my hobbie had to be self-supporting. I buy sell and trade. My hobbie checkbook is never empty. I have even starting buying gas out of it to hunt toys and buy stuff around the house and even pay for my daughters expensive school crap. It is sad, but I have made more in a month than at my normal job. You guys who may not make enough money might want to try to turn collecting to your advantage it can be profitable. OH, yea on the gas rant..I am just sick of paying high prices for gas..Who isn't???

Chopz

or it could also be seen as 'hey if I can't have it, no else can'

until I find the someone's secret stash that is. Especially inside Barbie's house. ooops! sorry dude I had to take your variant Batman figure.

The only time I have hid toys was when my wife sent me to the store and I have left my checkbook at home, so I put it behind some crap went home got my hobbie checkbook and bought it. I keep two checking accounts. About 5 years ago I decided that my hobbie had to be self-supporting. I buy sell and trade. My hobbie checkbook is never empty. I have even starting buying gas out of it to hunt toys and buy stuff around the house and even pay for my daughters expensive school crap. It is sad, but I have made more in a month than at my normal job. You guys who may not make enough money might want to try to turn collecting to your advantage it can be profitable. OH, yea on the gas rant..I am just sick of paying high prices for gas..Who isn't???

Chopz

um.. no.. most us "collectors" are against scalping ;)

Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to say that. I agree, If you can't buy a figure on the spot you've got way bigger problems than being able to build you're collection. Always have a savings at any given time.

I don't know if you guys are referring to Chopsooie personally or if you're generalizing about anyone who hides a toy. Financial responsibilities should come first, after all, these are luxury items. However I don't think it's a poor reflection on someone if they do stash toys.

Oh yeah, official toy stashing rule #2: Toys can only be hidden if the stasher is too lazy to walk to customer service and have them hold it for a few hours. :P

Chopz

um.. no.. most us "collectors" are against scalping ;)

Scalping can be bad and it can be good. I had scalper call me and sell me 2 BATs for $10 each. I felt it was a fair price. It still constitutes as scalping. But I did not have to spend my time or gas to go looking and he called me before he put on ebay. On the other hand if he would have called me and tried to sell them for more than $15 each. I would have told him to "eat one and stick one."

Want to talk about scalping look at the price of the SDCC joe items. At one point you could buy any figure from HTS for $10 buck. I bet YOU who hates scalpers. If you had gotten a few SDCC Destro or CC in suit would expect to sell them for their current market value value. In essence that is still scalping.

Chopz

You guys do know Customer Service will hold things for you right?

Go up to the counter smile at the lil nice girl and say, hey babe I want to buy this but I don't have the money for it on me and I left my debit card at home. She will say when are you coming back, you tell her, if she is still at work when you state when you she is coming back, she will probaly tell you to bring her back somthing for lunch. You do this get your toy and a Phone number and freindship with a girl who works at the store you buy your toys from. True Story.

On another note back when I was a lil chap my freind was going to Playworld for his birthday to get his Flagg, well his mom let us roam around. So we had nothing else better to do so we opened up the box and stashed over a dozen figuers in it. Mom comes up he says I want that one, This ones box is open you don't want that one yes I do.

Some stores will hold things but not all of them. It's not even a matter of what chain of stores but sometimes the individual store. I know the Wal-Mart here will not do that. I don't know of any stores around here that would. I do know though from what has been said here that there are some stores out there that will but not here so that means not everywhere.

All the stores around here have ladies in their 50's working the customer service desk. I rarely see and good looking young girls. If I do the flirting does not work because they just think I am some creepy old guy.

So are you saying you guys stole or tried to steal those figures by putting them in the Flagg box? That reminds me of one year my folks hid a bunch of Christmas presents in a Sectaurs Hive box and another year hid them in an old washing machine box.

Its also wrong to pay almost $4 for a gallon of gas and the gas companies make like 11 billion profit. SCREW CORPARATE AMERICA or they will screw us first..

Chopz

As an adult I agree with that.

The only times I hid anything was when I was younger. Too young to have a bank account of any kind that I could use and too young for credit cards. My income was mowing yards, walking dogs and watering flowers. I made $15 a week if I was lucky. So I would maybe hid a figure and need a week to have enough to get it.

Now at an older age there is just no reason for me to do it.

I don't know if you guys are referring to Chopsooie personally or if you're generalizing about anyone who hides a toy. Financial responsibilities should come first, after all, these are luxury items. However I don't think it's a poor reflection on someone if they do stash toys.

Oh yeah, official toy stashing rule #2: Toys can only be hidden if the stasher is too lazy to walk to customer service and have them hold it for a few hours. :P

In general, not directed at anyone in particular. I just think that if you can't spare $20.00 or whatever you shouldn't even be at the store in the first place.

Ok heres one

If you see somebody else staching toys somewhere would you...

1 Take the toys back to the dept

2 Take the toys for yourself if its what you need

3 Take the toys back to the dept

4. I'd probably leave it (unless it's something I was looking for). At the same time though I haven't really come across any one's stash. I don't rip a store apart looking for something. I'll wander through the aisles and if I don't see what I want I'll leave.

In general, not directed at anyone in particular. I just think that if you can't spare $20.00 or whatever you shouldn't even be at the store in the first place.

Yes, the concept of going into a store with money in one's pocket and ready to buy seems to be an overlooked one. I mean, if you only shop when you have the bucks, and you find the stuff.....you'll come away with something in hand every time--and if not, you'll have that much more $$ for the next time.

Strikes me that stashing something and HOPING that no-one finds it amounts to the same odds as waiting until you have $$ in hand to go into a store to find something in the first place. Either way, someone MIGHT get to it before you do anyway.

Yes, the concept of going into a store with money in one's pocket and ready to buy seems to be an overlooked one. I mean, if you only shop when you have the bucks, and you find the stuff.....you'll come away with something in hand every time--and if not, you'll have that much more $$ for the next time.

Strikes me that stashing something and HOPING that no-one finds it amounts to the same odds as waiting until you have $$ in hand to go into a store to find something in the first place. Either way, someone MIGHT get to it before you do anyway.

you both are wrong. sometimes i go to the store with only enough cash to get what i came for. i went to get a vac the other day, i threw 150.00 in my pocket and left. got there and seen a couple of items i wouldnt mind having....so i stashed them. i went back and got them...but i still stashed them. i refuse to use my credit card when i have cash...so i dont. to add to that...if you stash toys in the toy aisle, then theyre going to be found. but i stash all the time....if im coming back asap.

I've always considered stashing kind of juvenile...something little kids do when their parents won't buy a toy for them, so they hide it somewhere hoping they'll be able to talk their parents into it the next time they come to the store.

I've never stashed anything, cause when I do go to the store, I always have money on me should I run into something I want. If I see something, and don't have enough money to buy it, I guess I probably didn't need it that bad in the first place.

I've always considered stashing kind of juvenile...something little kids do when their parents won't buy a toy for them, so they hide is somewhere hoping they'll be able to talk their parents into it the next time they come to the store.

I've never stashed anything, cause when I do go to the store, I always have money on me should I run into something I want. If I see something, and don't have enough money to buy it, I guess I probably didn't need it that bad in the first place.

says you...me i gotta get it.....any means.

you both are wrong. sometimes i go to the store with only enough cash to get what i came for. i went to get a vac the other day, i threw 150.00 in my pocket and left. got there and seen a couple of items i wouldnt mind having....so i stashed them. i went back and got them...but i still stashed them. i refuse to use my credit card when i have cash...so i dont. to add to that...if you stash toys in the toy aisle, then theyre going to be found. but i stash all the time....if im coming back asap.

How can we be wrong???

Is using logic wrong?

Is being prepared wrong?

Is not fretting if you'll find the stuff wrong?

This is what I'm talking about when I describe some collectors as having too much angst in their collecting lives. I mean if you get off on having a high-strung toy hunt, by all means leave things to chance and stash ( or even shop in brick & mortars).

Since a LOT of people seem to rely upon brick & mortars, they also seem to get worked up over "gotta have it now, gotta get it before anyone, gotta stash it so no one can get it before I do...." etc.

The only thing missing are the uppers to make ya even more twitchy.......

If I walk into a brick & mortar and find something I want, its a pleasant surprise. If I have the money in hand, I buy it........if not..........I'll have a shot at it next time.........in some fashion.

Sure, it might not be in THAT store, it might not be in ANY store in my area, but I will have another chance.

And 95% of the time, I do.

it is directed to anyone that it fits. someone who has to have something so bad that they hide it because they don't have the money is far too into the toys and not enough into working and establishing a career that will allow them the resources to buy a toy any time they want - which is what they should be focused on in life.

a collector who doesn't have the money and just leaves an item has a much more sound perspective on what is important and probably isn't as obsessed about the toys -- the very reason why the former example is probably broke to begin with. so, not having the money isn't indicative of the person, it is also their perspective and effort in life, and it is the combination of the three which identify whether they are making sound decisions in the other areas in their life and should probably not be buying toys to begin with.