Diorama Cross-overs!

gojira77

I don't know if it is related to the current sky-rocketing cost of oil, but the 3 3/4" scale is having a boom across various action figure lines. Hasbro is not only using their trusty G.I. Joe and Star Wars scale on the good Dr. Jones and the German Army, but also recently announced a new line of 3 3/4" Marvel figures to follow in the footsteps of Marvel Legends. Mattel is doing something similar with the DC heroes, and even Mezco will be making an in-scale Hellboy (see review here).

They've been having a lot of fun using German Army vehicles in the Joe reviews over at JoeBattleLines, and soon we'll have an in-scale Frank Castle and Ultimate Captain America (crossing fingers for a WWII varient...) with hopefully a Nick Fury and Hydra agent to follow. I know that I'm not alone in collecting more than one beloved property and action toy line... Anyone else interested in occasionally mixing America's Elite Counter-Terrorism Force with acheologists, demons, and superheroes, especially ones with a military background or more realistic abilities? Who'd like to see Serpentor get his scaley butt handed to him by Steve Rogers? What do you think-- could Joe still be Joe and work with other heroes?

The topic got me so excited that I quickly staged a few pics:

bgvse.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

Ever since I found the Hot Toys 3 3/4" Aliens and Colonial Marines figures, I'm thinking, yeah, they'll be displayed alongside my Joes!

I still don't think the articulation in SW or Indiana Jones is good enough to be beside my Joes, but that upcoming Marvel line... Hmm. That looks damn good. I'm sure I'll pick up Nick Fury, Punisher and Wolverine at the very least. Hell, I'll probably buy most if not all of them. They look awesome.

You hit the nail right on the head pal! Setting different lines up together not only makes the 'story' cooler (like the Indy pic or Superman facing down a whole army of COBRAs), but also creates infinite comedic possibilities! Like Doctor Doom and CC arm wrestling for control of the world, or the Hulk getting squashed by an AT-AT! As long as they are the same size, anything goes!

You hit the nail right on the head pal! Setting different lines up together not only makes the 'story' cooler (like the Indy pic or Superman facing down a whole army of COBRAs), but also creates infinite comedic possibilities! Like Doctor Doom and CC arm wrestling for control of the world, or the Hulk getting squashed by an AT-AT! As long as they are the same size, anything goes!

Like this?

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

Oh yea, I love the play-on-concepts possible with using different lines together and will do that with my own stuff.

Great fuel for the imagination, even if it is a bit silly.

GIJOE vs Aliens or Captain America and the Avengers vs COBRA and the Marvel Villains anyone??

I'd still like to one day paint one of my extra ROCCs like Optimus Prime.. I doubt I'll ever have the guts to attempt an actual transformed custom, but I still thought that'd make a perfect Joeverse Prime.

Nope not me. Not even when I was a lil girl did I ever cross the toy lines!! I was a purist. He Man wasn't in Star Wars Starscream never attacked the Joes, etc, etc!! And I continue this today!! My toy lines are separatists!!!

This would be a cool thread to keep going - post your pics of mixed line comedy or action shots!

I do hope so! Especially since my pictures were thrown together quickly-- I'd love to see what some one could produce with a little more time on their hands.

Unlike the Transformers comicbook, which guest-starred Spider-man and the Savage Land, the Joes stayed out of larger Marvel Universe, which is unfortunate in a way. The G.I. Joe mythos was created by Marvel and Sunbow writers afterall, it's only natural that there would be similar themes, and a lot of common ground for cross-overs. Like if Cobra Commander had a grudge against Hydra, Storm Shadow had once fought the Hand, or if Hawk personally knew "Thunderbolt" Ross and Nick Fury! Actually, Cobra-La and Serpentor would feel right at home...

I love mixing 3.75" scale toy lines together-- at least for some "humorous" photos. This year is proving to be a toy renaissance for me as so many lines are coming out in the "great scale".

Here's a few older photos:

destrosparrow.jpg

cc4jones.jpg

bazookapsa.jpg

overkillchewie.jpg

sev3maul2.jpg

Yep, it's official: we are getting the Hand in Fury Files, as seen in the Hasbro SDCC panel. They're like The Devil's Night Creepers! These will definitely engage Storm Shadow and Snake-Eyes in a battle to the death. The upcoming Wolverine looks great, too-- as soon as they put him in more traditional colors.

I do think some match ups would be more natural and less forced than others, but the same can be said for the more down-to-earth regular Marvel Universe characters like the Punisher and Daredevil. And why people keep putting Batman in the JLA, I'll never know!

Punisher would be an easy character to cross over with since hes already human, and how hard is it to believe that there is a skull wearing gun wielding vigilante in the Joe verse? Punisher is one of my favorite comic characters as it is so he will be making an appearance in my verse once I find that 3 3/4th marvel fig thats comin out

Geeze...you guys are making me want to revert back and start buying toys again. (lol) This reminds me of the other thread where someone had incorporated the new Hulk figures in with their Joes. I've never been a big Hulk fan, but that crossover made complete perfect sense to me, and I began to see all of the possibilities. (It also made me appreciate the Hulk in a whole new way...)

See, as a kid I never mixed my toylines together, although I pretended once that my Millenium Falcon was a secret military satellite captured by Cobra and the Joes had to go rescue it. But I had a friend that had every toy line you could imagine. I mean whenever something new came out, he had it, no question. And I remember I'd go to his house (his mother had given him the entire basement for a playroom; in one corner you saw Fortress Maximus, another had the Defiant), and he would have this big huge battle set up where every toyline he had was involved, and different factions had been formed, like Starscream had his own team of Dreadnoks and VENOM vehicles, or Duke was holed-up in the Super Powers Hall of Justice with Batman, Optimus Prime, and a squad of Sky Commanders. It was insane! (lol) And he didn't care if the scales were off. It was like a hodge-podge of multi-universe crossovers, and it was so much fun. My twelve-year-old mind could barely contain it. Then I'd go home to my glued-together Joe Headquarters, which was facing Cobra's secret fortress, Castle Grayskull, borrowed from my little brother, of course... (lol)

Not really, My 3-3/4 collection consists of a Darth Vader, Yoda, 3 Storm Troopers and my Joe collection.

I'm not starting my DC and ML collections all over again.

I may some day pick up generic figures in the 3-3/4 scale for bystanders but haven't yet.

As a kid I would cross toy-verses, scale didn't matter at all. Different figures from different lines were always forming teams and going on missions and stuff, I loved it! In my early twenties, I was much more of a purist; if I had a bunch of figures out they were of the same line. Now I'm not so picky.