GI Joe The Movie

DarthJoe

So, I'm watching the animated GI Joe movie right now (haven't watched it in quite awhile), and a few things have popped into my head while viewing.

First off, what was the deal with Big Lob? Why did they create a new character when they could've just penciled in an already existing character from '87 like Crazylegs, Fast Draw, Outback or Psyche-Out? Wouldn't it have been better to go with a character who was in toy form for advertising reasons? I can understand Pythona being created for the movie as there wasn't really a toy that could've filled her role, but Big Lob didn't really have a point in the movie, so they could've just went with one of the four that I mentioned. Were there maybe plans to make him into a toy that were canceled somewhere along the line?

Also, why did they give Law a Latino accent? I don't remember noticing this before today...but what was the deal? I know his filecard says he's from Texas...so I guess maybe he could be Mexican...but he looks pretty darn white if you ask me. @lol@

The last thing I've been wondering is if Cobra-La and the Renegades was created for the movie first, and then the toys were created based off of the movie...anyone know?

Looks like the writers wanted some more diversity to go with the Asian chick... But why'd the black guy have to be a ball player? I know Stalker used to be a gangbanger, but c'mon! Of course, these are the people that made Roadblock rhyme...

The writers have repeatedly said they intended to kill Duke, and if the Joe movie came out before the Death of Optimus Prime they wouldn't have added that bit about his "coma". Imagine that... We sure would have fewer Duke re-paints today! I was ten years old when the movie came out, I hadn't read the comic yet and Duke was by far my favorite character-- would I have handled his death better than Prime's?

I think Duke's death would have made for a better movie. It sure would have been a great way for him to go, taking on Serpentor to save his f@#%-up kid brother! The writers were even kind enough to let Duke make it to the movie's climax, rather than how those callous bastards off'd the legendary Autobot leader in the first 15 minutes of the TF movie in order to save time for selling more toys... @grumpy@ Coincidentally, has anyone recently read the file card for Tiger Force Duke? It looks like a continuity reboot with no mention of his experience in 'Nam; he declines the commission and goes straight to squad leader of Tiger Force w/o any mention of previous experience on the Joe team. If not for the re-use of his file name and birth place, he could have been a different, homage character!

gojira77 is correct about the original idea of killing Duke.

If I am not mistaken the Movie was supposed to be like TFTM was, a platform to introduce new characters so the Renegades and Cobra-La teams were created in toy form and released in conjunction with the movie's release.

So I would think, no movie = no Renegades or cobra La toys.

I personally don't think The Movie was so bad like a lot of people say it was. As a kid i remember thinking how cool Cobra La was and how neat it was that CC had been a member of it. Granted as an adult that theme is a bit outlandish but as a 9 year old, it was pretty freaking sweet.

About big lob... As a kid I thought he was supposed to be "The Fridge" Perry. They did look very similar in ther red jerseys and sports theme. And he was the mail away figure at that time. May have been their way of squeezing a fridge like character into the movie. Though i do remember hating Big Lob as a kid. I wasn't one of those sports inclined kids so the sport related characters never meant much to me.

As for Law having the latino accent... If his file card does say he's from texas, it makes perfect sense that he might be of Mexican heritage. He can still be an american citizen, even american born and still have a heavy mexican accent. A better question to ask might Why do Barbeque and Blowtorch have Scottish/Irish acccents in the toon? I think it is an easier stretch to believe Law has a Mexican accent growing up in Texas than it is to believe Blowtorch would retain his accent growing up in Tampa or Barbeque in Boston. Oh and am I remembering correctly that Tunnel Rat had a latino accent in the movie as well? That one is a little strange considering he's asian.

And i think its pretty obvious the Cobra La figures were made specifically for the movie. They never appeared in the comic and for the mot part the figures were always based off their comic appearances. A black shirt on Flint as opposed to the Brown from the toon. The hat on LJ rater than no hat from the toon. I think it is safe to say Cobra La was made speciffically for the movie. I honestly don't know if the renegades were in the comic or not so i can't say anything about that.

gojira77 is correct about the original idea of killing Duke.

If I am not mistaken the Movie was supposed to be like TFTM was, a platform to introduce new characters so the Renegades and Cobra-La teams were created in toy form and released in conjunction with the movie's release.

So I would think, no movie = no Renegades or cobra La toys.

Thanks for the affirmation! :) I do wish the cartoon writers had the freedom to kill characters who weren't a), from an alternate universe, b ), synthoids, or c), zoot-suited drug dealers with slightly dirty names @hmmm@ . Hama had a lot more freedom with both his own and toy-based characters (which were really his, too), even finding a way to ingeniously 'kill-off' the original Cobra Commander while still featuring Hasbro's new CC figure. Kids who are interested in war should also be developmentally ready for the concept of death, which is why you'll rarely see Elmo packing a sub-machine gun! Slightly off topic, remember the cartoon Exo-Squad from the '90s, where shockingly, when a plane exploded, you wouldn't see a guy with a parachute come out? I had to watch a couple of those shows before I could believe my eyes!

Most impressive scenes in the whole cartoon (for me)..

Pythona kicking major butt in the opening sequence.

Joe's getting their butt beat on first encounter with Nemesis Enforcer (especially when he rips the bottom out of the HAVOC to get to Snowjob)

Slaughter and his renegades busting in and out of the Terrordrome with Falcon.

and the final battle sequence with Falcon and Serpentor, Slaughter and NE and Jinx verse Pythona.

Those were pretty darn cool and very well done.

IIRC, Chuck Dixon answers some of these questions is his interviews on the movie.

I think its reasonably safe to assume that the COBRA-La characters were created specifically for the movie, and the toys based off the characters there.

I get the impression that Big Lob was a character that was inserted at almost the last minute because he really does nothing in the movie and isn't integral to the plot at all. That and there's never been a figure of the character in all the years since.

He's a "nothing" character, like Cool-Breeze.

...and the final battle sequence with Falcon and Serpentor, Slaughter and NE and Jinx verse Pythona.

Those were pretty darn cool and very well done.

As Edna Mode would say, "No Capes!"

My favorite scenes were the opening sequence and basically anytime Serpentor was fragged, fried, betrayed, strangled, or crashed. Man, that Evil Liberace sure was annoying-- get 'em, devolved snake Cobra Commander!

Slightly off topic, remember the cartoon Exo-Squad from the '90s, where shockingly, when a plane exploded, you wouldn't see a guy with a parachute come out? I had to watch a couple of those shows before I could believe my eyes!

Speaking of parachutes, I believe it was mentioned at JoeCon during the Hasbro panel that Resolute may have a scene where a Cobra pilot ejects after his plane is hit and then while parachuting he's shot dead. Just to poke fun at how the Sunbow series everyone always parachuted to safety.

Slightly off topic, remember the cartoon Exo-Squad from the '90s, where shockingly, when a plane exploded, you wouldn't see a guy with a parachute come out? I had to watch a couple of those shows before I could believe my eyes!

Speaking of parachutes, I believe it was mentioned at JoeCon during the Hasbro panel that Resolute may have a scene where a Cobra pilot ejects after his plane is hit and then while parachuting he's shot dead. Just to poke fun at how the Sunbow series everyone always parachuted to safety.

@lol@ That's funny.

I've waited years for some show to do this.

@can@

While that's definitely hilarious, I'm thinking it could go one of two ways on how the overall movie is going to play out. Tongue-in-cheek, James Bond-ish feel to a scene like that, or just a mess of silly shlock poking fun at G.I.Joe period, like what the Street Fighter movie did, and how just WATCHING the actors (in it) was as much a choir for the viewer, as it appeared to be for them acting in it? I guess we can be thankful Freddie Prince Jr. didn't get a role in it.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only Movie fan out there, and Hasbro sure seems to be giving it some love these days what with the Nemesis Enforcer/ Falcon two-pack and upcoming 'Best of Joe' DVD figures. But I also know that there are a lot of die hard Movie-haters, too, who aren't just comic-snobs and Duke-haters but serious fans who just didn't like the B-movie plot angles. What do you think, do we need a poll about the '87 movie?

My favorite line from the movie is "OOONCCCE a Man OOONCCCE a Man"

I think Hillary Clinton cries out in her sleep with that line? @haha@

Speaking of parachutes, I believe it was mentioned at JoeCon during the Hasbro panel that Resolute may have a scene...

I'm thinking it could go one of two ways on how the overall movie is going to play out. I guess we can be thankful Freddie Prince Jr. didn't get a role in it.

Resolute is actually the animated webisode series coming in early 2009.

The Live Action Film coming out next summer is called "Rise of Cobra".

Speaking of parachutes, I believe it was mentioned at JoeCon during the Hasbro panel that Resolute may have a scene...

I'm thinking it could go one of two ways on how the overall movie is going to play out. I guess we can be thankful Freddie Prince Jr. didn't get a role in it.

Resolute is actually the animated webisode series coming in early 2009.

The Live Action Film coming out next summer is called "Rise of Cobra".

I, ummmmm...I KNEW THAT!

yeah, yeah....that's it, I knew it, but was just ummmm, TESTIN' YA!

That's it...and you ummmm, you PASSED!!

Good job!

agoofyod9.gif

;)