The Joe movie...

Ccav

looks to be a complete fail, .. i cant grab anything good out of the snyopsis given. It's sad to see they Let Hama be around for the rape fest on his great creation.

I have given up Hope, the stills even look ##$%$#ed like the fantasy stuff Sommers has done before.

Hollywood, they take a great idea and ruin it to hell.

I guess after see TDK i had bigger hopes, but Alas, Sommers looks like he is taking Joel Schumachers place in destroying franchise's, or making them so weak its never fixed.

its Like all they did was keep the characters... whats the point of naming the movie G.I.Joe when the only thing about it Joe related are names.. the character backround and everything else is completely bastardized for the sake of telling some new story.

They should just change the name to "Hasbro's power rangers" and lat Joe stay in the top three of boys toys lines.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good lord. I absolutely hate this kind of attitude. I wish all you high and mighty "hardcore Joe fans" would just get over yourselves. This is not about the rape of your childhood. All they are trying to do is make a good movie that will appeal to the general audiences. They are using the basic premise of our 80's joes and turning it in to a movie. Here's a thought... Keep an open mind and wait to judge the final product be for you condemn it as teh deth of the lin!1!

Ccav... I'm not hating on you. Just your attitude.

it's not your joe it's not my joe it's the "Hollywood"take on joe it's not going to be direct sunbow or hama

it's suppose to different their not going to fix 25 plus years of characters stories and ideas in to at most a two hour movie

all I'm saying is lighten up it's only a movie :)

I'd would also like to add that after seeing a few of those movie stills, hearing some of the comments about the budget, seeing a lot of the actors involved and knowing the kind of marketing Hasbro is going to put behind this... I truly believe this movie is going to be a huge success at the box office. And I really think the general audience is going to love it for a big budget action flick that touches on their small bits of nostalgia.

The fact of the matter is if they made a movie that was EXACTLY what every hard core Joe fan would want, more than likely it would tank. All I am hoping for is a fun 2 hours in the theatre that gets me excited to be a Joe fan. I don't need every scene on the screen to fit perfectly with my idea of what makes GI Joe great. I just want to be entertained. I was the same with X-men and Transformers. Were those movies great for fans? For the most part.. no. But they were really fun to watch and successful at the box office. And Box office success will only mean great things for the future of the franchise.

So I for one plan to keep an open mind… no.. I take that back. I am EXCITED about the movie and I’m really looking forward to paying my $12 to go see it.

I'm into the movie to an extent. I mean, I'll go see it... but, it'll just be the Michael Bay Transformers movie. Not so much a GI Joe film as it is a general action film.

'Not the movie I would have hope or asked for, but... uh... I saw Starship Troopers in theatre and liked it, even though the book was so much better and really had nothing to do with the process to create the movie.

It's like that.

Like a book to movie thing.

Tom

What would be your idea story? I wouldn't mind them taking on the Pyrmid of Darkness, a good Joe story to begin with. Military fiction is hard to make good to begin with add to the fact it's fantsy and based on toys. Straight Sci Fi and Fantasy is going to when every time Take Pearl harbor they added all that other stuff and waterted it down. If they wanted to make this movie realy good they would have brought Tom Clancy , John Grishm (sp) and Let Hamma do the charactars. At most I never expected more than a Starship troopers type film. Transforms is not going to happen for Gi Joe unless they put Gi joe and Transformers in the same movie.

I think a healthy way to look at it is like this... the writer of the book "Jumper" was asked how he felt about the "Hollywood" fueled adaptation of his book into something that didn't resemble the original product.

All he said was that his books are still out there. The movie didn't change them or ruin them. If anything, there are people now who didn't know about the books who will go out and read them thanks to the movie spreading the word.

So, yeah. More interest in Joe is good for us. Even if the road to get there is a little bumpy.

Tom

Oh good lord. I absolutely hate this kind of attitude. I wish all you high and mighty "hardcore Joe fans" would just get over yourselves. This is not about the rape of your childhood. All they are trying to do is make a good movie that will appeal to the general audiences. They are using the basic premise of our 80's joes and turning it in to a movie. Here's a thought... Keep an open mind and wait to judge the final product be for you condemn it as teh deth of the lin!1!

I disagree........I'm looking at this thing as a movie fan first and to be honest........it looks like a bad MOVIE first and then a bad GI Joe movie second.

We've seen properties handled well, not so well, okay, and horrible. It just seems like Hasbro is 10 years late in translating stuff to the big screen. Its like they still have the 90's handbook to making comic book/cartoon/video game movies.

Iron Man, Spider-man, Batman, Marvel and DC......all finally realized to stick with the main story and just trim the fat for the big screen...yeah, they made changes but not drastic changes......not totally re-write the characters.

I didn't have much faith once I heard Sommers name was attached to this anyway. I'm saying big opening weekend and then not much more........150-175 million tops.

Also Transformers looked cool and different.........all general people saw was big robots fighting....that was something new.....and it got a lot of people in the theater.

GI Joe just looks like some crazy Stargate knock-off in this thing.

I think this movie looks terrible, too.

If you wait till you've seen it to condemn it, it's too late. It's not like they want you to see the movie and like it so they can get your ticket money; they just want your money. They don't even care if you watch the film as long as you hand them your $10 for that ticket.

And seeing a movie that seems as bad as this one's shaping up to be is just rewarding them for trying to wrongly cash in on a recognizable name.

I'm not saying no one should watch or enjoy it. I just think if you have doubts or reservations that it's OK, and you might be better off not wasting your money.

I'm still on the fence about this, but I think it will be ok as a movie and maybe better than I would expect from a G.I.Joe movie. I understand why some people get upset about it not adheing to strict Joe continuity, but which one? There the comic stuff, the cartoon, the cartoon movie, Sigma SIx and the new cartoon that will be premiering soon. Each has their own continuity and I would even argue that there is almost two different comic continuities with another one (two if you comic the movie comic book tie in's) that will be around by the time the movie comes out. So far I like the cast, the look isn't blinding me and I can live with the changes that I know they've made. I also have enjoyed the movies that Sommers has made. Sure they're not intellectual jems, but they are fun "popcorn" movies and that's all I would really like Joe to be.

even if it sucks....Lets everyone go and see the movie 5 or 6 times so we can be sure they'll make more movies. im sure they'll "get it right" in part 2

TM

This is not about the rape of your childhood.

DarthJoe from 1986 just called me. He wants his virginity back. @wink@ @smilepunch@

Personally, I didn't like the outfits they showed at the beginning. But after hearing some details about what will happen, I think it could be good. I'm waiting to pass judgement until I at least see a trailor, possibly even the movie itself. Sure its not the same as the original Joes, but if it was, it would be a boring rehash (well, probably not but for the sake of argument lets say so).

Wait and see I say, wait and see.

@can@

Yeah, but he did start out by stating "looks to be" and is it really fair to knock on "hardcore Joe fans" as being "high & mighty" simply because they have HIGH expectations over what's done with (or to) the property of which they've loved, kept up on and been a big part of for so long, not to mention invested a small fortune in? I've never really cared about whether or not they EVER tried to make a live action G.I.Joe movie, just for the reason that I've never felt the story and the characters would translate well over into the medium, without turning it into some campy, silly schlock fest and I'm still thinking that's going to be the case.

If they TRY real HARD at it, and pretty much just dissect the whole damn thing in order to pull it off (like it appears they ARE) then (like Ccav is getting at) why even do it at all, in the name of G.I.Joe ARAH?? If it's in title and character name ONLY, I don't understand the whole purpose of it. call it something else, like the Doomstar Trooper Fighters Spaceage Army 2040 A.D.???? I dunno! ^_^

I think they should have stayed with a high budgeted CARTOON and kept true to the characters. That way, when it catches the attention of some NEW generation Joe fans, the old "high and mighty" Joe fans can say with some pride..."SEE, what we've been talking about, see how COOL they are, SEE what you've all been missing??" Doing it the way they're doing it now, is like saying, that's all CRAP from before and we need to change EVERYTHING, because nobody (in today's more intelligent movie going audience) is going to buy that OLD crap which is just as good as crappin' on us old fans and everything we oNCE liked about G.I.Joe the ARAH years. :(

Look how bad the Street Fighter cartoon movie BLOWS away the live action Van Damme schlock fest of it? I'm REALLLLLLY worried about this Joe movie, just for that reason.

None of you have seen a freakin' thing from this movie except a few still shots of the characters and a couple tidbits taken out of context. Jesus H. Christ at least wait for a trailer or two.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but G.I. Joe's had plenty of cheddar mixed throughout, even in the hallowed ARAH days. But then it (possibly) shows up in the movie and people are upset?

PS: They tried a cartoon. It failed. Movies reach just as wide an audience and boost up brand recognition a heck of a lot faster. Even a "by fans, for fans" G.I. Joe is essentially a failure in the making. Because in the end the only people watching it are the same fans they had to begin with, rather than actually growing their audience.

None of you have seen a freakin' thing from this movie except a few still shots of the characters and a couple tidbits taken out of context. Jesus H. Christ at least wait for a trailer or two.

First off, could you please watch using the Lord's name in vain.

Secondly, when they announced Marlon Wayans would be playing Ripcord, and that he would be getting his nose into trouble throughout the movie, and that Duke would be the "big brother" character, constantly pulling him out of trouble, that was enough for me to pass judgment on it.

Like VH, I am going into this movie with very low expectations, hoping that I'm proven wrong...cause I really want to be...but from everything I've heard and seen so far, it's not looking that great.

PS: They tried a cartoon. It failed.

What "high bugeted" cartoon was that? @hmmm@

Movies reach just as wide an audience and boost up brand recognition a heck of a lot faster. Even a "by fans, for fans" G.I. Joe is essentially a failure in the making. Because in the end the only people watching it are the same fans they had to begin with.

Yeah, so that negates all the concern over even trying to attract a larger audience doesn't it? Just make the damn thing for the fans of it to begin with, and hope it lures in those few extras. I seriously doubt that any typical Joey-bag-o-donuts and his wife are going to pick up a paper and see that G.I.JOE is playing at the marcus 10 theater complex, and not having ANY prior knowledge of it's content, rush to the theater for a viewing. I kinda doubt the video game addicted era of young kids are going to give it much notice as well, not enough to bug mom and dad to TAKE'em, which they MIGHT if it's a cool-ass "high budgeted" cartoon.

Just an opinion though, slice and dice it in any manner you see fit, trying to defend something that's not even able to be CONSUMED yet. Positive outlook or negative, it's all just BS for the sake of having something to BS about on a message board dedicated to every kind of BS there is about the property of which we're discussing.

my first problem with this film was that joe base of operations is not in the US. @grumpy@

A Real American Hero #US1#

other than this it may be a good movie

next problem i like the classic breaker look but that is me

i hope for the best for the movie; this will not be a must see for me but i may buy it on DVD

Yeah, so that negates all the concern over even trying to attract a larger audience doesn't it? Just make the damn thing for the fans of it to begin with, and hope it lures in those few extras. I seriously doubt that any typical Joey-bag-o-donuts and his wife are going to pick up a paper and see that G.I.JOE is playing at the marcus 10 theater complex, and not having ANY prior knowledge of it's content, rush to the theater for a viewing. I kinda doubt the video game addicted era of young kids are going to give it much notice as well, not enough to bug mom and dad to TAKE'em, which they MIGHT if it's a cool-ass "high budgeted" cartoon.

This is one of the reasons that "Transformers" did so well at the box-office......it was something different that people hadn't seen before.......the fact that they didn't look anything like GEEE-WUN had nothing to do with it. It was something DIFFERENT that "Joey-bag-o-donuts and his wife" (awesome name VH) hadn't seen before. People were curious to the commercials with giant robots beating the crap out of each other........even Bay said it on the DvD commentary of the movie.......he didn't understand why it was scoring so well in early screenings and people were telling him is was a different approach and something they hadn't seen before........the way I see "GI Joe the movie" is very cookie cutterish.....when it comes to action/sci-fi movies. Its nothing new........in the way they are presenting it.

Big opening weekend........thats it. It may break even.......but I don't see it doing well.......especially with Transformers 2 in the same summer. Plus, the thing is opening in August.......no REAL summer blockbuster opens in August. Its all very Junior Varsity IMO.........

This is one of the reasons that "Transformers" did so well at the box-office......it was something different that people hadn't seen before.......the fact that they didn't look anything like GEEE-WUN had nothing to do with it. It was something DIFFERENT that "Joey-bag-o-donuts and his wife" (awesome name VH) hadn't seen before. People were curious to the commercials with giant robots beating the crap out of each other........even Bay said it on the DvD commentary of the movie.......he didn't understand why it was scoring so well in early screenings and people were telling him is was a different approach and something they hadn't seen before........the way I see "GI Joe the movie" is very cookie cutterish.....when it comes to action/sci-fi movies. Its nothing new........in the way they are presenting it.

Big opening weekend........thats it. It may break even.......but I don't see it doing well.......especially with Transformers 2 in the same summer. Plus, the thing is opening in August.......no REAL summer blockbuster opens in August. Its all very Junior Varsity IMO.........

One more thing that helped Tformers out is the fact that the brothers came out to see it to. Gi Joe is going to need that also.

One more thing that helped Tformers out is the fact that the brothers came out to see it to. Gi Joe is going to need that also.

You mean like Cryme Tyme? @lol@

First off, could you please watch using the Lord's name in vain.

@loll@

You all know this movie is going to suck. Nothing you can say will make it not suck. I'm not having a bad attitude. I mean come on its a movie based of of GI JOE. CHEEZFEST.