SDCC 08 Wave 11 Pics at TNI

Scotty97

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please point out Scrap Iron to me? I'm not seeing him in the pics at hiistank.

Look in this set of pics:

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/25th-a...sdcc-2008-7506/

More specifically, here:

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach...tachmentid=1657

What IS a Mighty Mugg?

You ever see one of those people with a really, REALLY abnormally sized head?

I'm guessing it's probably something like that...

@wink@

I'm reading reports of CC already selling out, lol.. a local guy said that about 7 mins after they lined up, he saw dealers walking away with cases of everything.. and then they capped the line...

They could just be selling a certain amount a day, or who knows.. maybe people did buy loads of them, we'll see.. I don't really want one, but so far, looks like PDD all over again, lol

Joe Mighty Muggs! Finally revealed! I love this line, and these look fantastic! Woot!

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conven...th-images-7509/

ARRRGGHHHH.........I've been hoping to fight this stuff.......but the Joe ones just look too cool to me. A couple a years ago I became a Joe collector exclusively......just cause my collection was getting out of hand......one of the reasons was because my love for Joe was more than any other line I was collecting (Marvel, DC) Plus, it was just figures....busts, and statues here and there but mainly figures, nothing crazy. Now Joe has all this other stuff tempting me.........not good. For my wallet that is....... @firedevil@

A few other things I'm noticing...

-It looks like Mainframe is holding a rifle similar to the vintage Dial-Tone gun. Has this accessory been released with any other 25th figures? I don't recall seeing it before. Could this possibly mean there's a Dial-Tone on the way?

-Beachhead has a gun that looks like his vintage weapon. I wonder if this is a new mold, or just a re-use of the old mold? I'm also wondering how they can give a comic pack Beachhead TWO new heads, and not even mold a new head for Leatherneck. :(

That Dial-Tone gun is in one of the Extreme Conditions packs, the computer is in the same one too.

This guy from the Be Your Own Joe thing looks familiar. I think I have seen him before, the face from the card art.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach...tachmentid=1718

Is it someone from Hasbro who had a figure of his likeness before?

Most of them look good, but they just can't seem to get Zartan right. The Wild Bill/Scrap Iron pack looks good, I'm glad to see Mainframe and Airborne too!

Joe Mighty Muggs! Finally revealed! I love this line, and these look fantastic! Woot!

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conven...th-images-7509/

They showed pics of Destro and SE at Joe Con. I'm hoping to see more pics of the Destro MM.

Mutt and Junkyard: Very RAH. Nice.

Matt Trakker: I'm still wondering why. It would be awesome if this meant they were bringing back M.A.S.K. (at 4" size). What with all those cool vehicles? This is just a waste of a slot, eh?

Cobra Bazooka: WTF? Where the hell is the H.E.A.T. Viper?

Eel: Very nice! Are those Swamp Rat legs?

Croc Master: I KNEW that pic from the Cobra desert pack was a photoshop (it had the A.V.A.C.'s head)! Looks good. I like the croc. What do you all think of this one?

Spytroops Flint: Is someone getting their head slapped over this? First of all, WHY doesn't he LOOK like a Cobra? Beyond that, this is is 1,000 times better than the stupid "snap on armor" we got for Spytroops (no way in hell Tunnel Rat looked like a Toxo-Viper). The biggest thing is, and something I noticed with the comic pack Destro, is that he comes with an extra head!

That has a lot of implications.

Airborne: Wow! But does he look Native American? Probably about as much as Torpedo looked Hawaiian.

Wraith: Yawn.

Zartan: Much better. The biggest problem with the new bodies is that, having the joint in the upper torso instead of the waist leads to "Firefly syndrome". I wonder if the Swamp Skier can be disassembled like the original.

C.L.A.W. (with some Cobra guy): I like the upgrade. The figure? Meh. Whatever.

F.A.N.G. (with Viper): Nice to see it again. Don't care for the Viper though. Couldn't they do a Heli-Viper?

A.W.E. Striker (with Leatherneck): The A.W.E. striker is ok. I mean it IS "All Weather and Environment" so it makes sense to make it desert color. But Leatherneck? Buzzer's body is....adequate. They could have frankensteined better.

Sky Hawk (with Lift Ticket): The Sky Hawk was always a conundrum to me. It should have been a Cobra vehicle. Back then, Joe vehicles leaned more towards the "realistic" while Cobra leaned toward the "fantastic". So how does the Sky Hawk fit in? It isn't a real vehicle, so far as I know. I wonder why the changed the landing skids. And Lift Ticket: I think he looks very good. Some above said his head looks weird, but it looks, to me, like he has a removable helmet.

if that's true, what is the decision to give one guy a removable one and another not? Hell, even some Cobra troopers (the guys who DON'T need removable helmets) .

Water Moccasin (with Python Copperhead): I hope its not as fragile as the RAH one @firedevil@ But its very nice. Copperhead: WHY did they screw him up so bad? How hard was it to paint?

Techno-Viper!? Holy crap!

Royal Guard: Too funky looking, at least in the pic.

Steeler?: Is that Steeler, the guy in the tan pictured with the M.O.B.AT.;?

Stalker: ANOTHER Stalker with Jet pack?

Short-Fuze: Yup, that's gotta be him in that "Ultimate Battles" set. Seems a shame to throw him in there, given he will be the major draw to a $50 set.

Destro: Is it just me or is that pic of him creepy looking? He looks like a silver-faced Joker.

Cobra Commander and Flight Pod: That is NOT a good pose. They couldn't get the figure to sit in the pod correctly? And if that's the case....that's not a good thing.

Snake Eyes and Hard Master: Grey Storm Shadow, big whoop. And the Hard Master? Is THAT what he looked like in the comic? The character means little, I mean didn't he die?

Mainframe and Beach Head: Wow, another head replacement!

Destro and Iron Grandier: I like that the placard says "Destro v Iron Grenadier". Destro is throw away (though the sword will be nice) but the IG is good.

Wild Bill and Scrap Iron: They sure have some weird character combinations. Wild Bill actually looks interesting. Scrap Iron looks good too.

Pilot Scarlett: What is that?

Matt Trakker: I'm still wondering why. It would be awesome if this meant they were bringing back M.A.S.K. (at 4" size). What with all those cool vehicles? This is just a waste of a slot, eh?

I don't know, I really like the creatvity of this move. I think GI Joe tends to let itself get stuck in the shallows of it's own vast history, sometimes because of the fans. Alot of times, all we want is a new, better Flint or a different version of the Cobra Commander they gave us. That, and we don't mind just having the RAH years regurgitated to us. Meanwhile, we have an enormous amount of untapped potential like Action Force, MASK, Comic and Cartoon Characters, South American figures, GI Joe Extreme and, yes, Sigma Six... but if Hasbro taps into any of this, folks can't help but ask why, and mention that we could have gotten a Major Bludd or Iceberg.

I mean, I want alot of RAH characters to make it into the 25th roster too, but I really, really don't want this line to bore me to tears waiting to see the next wave so I can guage how well they duplicated the original sculpt's appearance. I want Matt Tracker, and I want the Para Viper, and I want Wraith. I'll take any unusual item Hasbro wants to throw at me, because frankly... I already own all of these figures in RAH form.

That Arise Serpentor Arise DVD set comes with a BAT holding a F.A.N.G. rocket launcher, with spring loaded missile. I doubt they'd take the time to use that exact design if they didn't have bigger plans for it as a featured accesory. The Cobra Bazooka trooper seems like something to satisfy that segment of our fan community that likes a low key Cobra Command enemy. The Original 13 enthusiasts probably fall into this group.

Airborne: Wow! But does he look Native American? Probably about as much as Torpedo looked Hawaiian.

Well, from what I can see, he doesn't have traditionally caucasian features, so that should count for something.

A.W.E. Striker (with Leatherneck): The A.W.E. striker is ok. I mean it IS "All Weather and Environment" so it makes sense to make it desert color. But Leatherneck? Buzzer's body is....adequate. They could have frankensteined better.

I didn't initially agree with the 'Leatherneck sucks' crowd... But realizing that Hasbro is capable of making the figures extremely different just by giving them a cheap plastic vest (Vipers, Mutt, Wild Bill and so on have an entire torso-covering accesory that could be easily produced in exchange for a totally new torso) I'm beginning to agree Leatherneck could have been better.

And head reusage in my opinion is just UNACCEPTABLE.

Customs ; D

Unofficial Glenda from the South American figure lines. A brilliant sense of variety the people in charge of the 25th line have! : D

Tom

I don't know, I really like the creatvity of this move. I think GI Joe tends to let itself get stuck in the shallows of it's own vast history, sometimes because of the fans. Alot of times, all we want is a new, better Flint or a different version of the Cobra Commander they gave us. That, and we don't mind just having the RAH years regurgitated to us. Meanwhile, we have an enormous amount of untapped potential like Action Force, MASK, Comic and Cartoon Characters, South American figures, GI Joe Extreme and, yes, Sigma Six... but if Hasbro taps into any of this, folks can't help but ask why, and mention that we could have gotten a Major Bludd or Iceberg.

I mean, I want alot of RAH characters to make it into the 25th roster too, but I really, really don't want this line to bore me to tears waiting to see the next wave so I can guage how well they duplicated the original sculpt's appearance. I want Matt Tracker, and I want the Para Viper, and I want Wraith. I'll take any unusual item Hasbro wants to throw at me, because frankly... I already own all of these figures in RAH form.

That Arise Serpentor Arise DVD set comes with a BAT holding a F.A.N.G. rocket launcher, with spring loaded missile. I doubt they'd take the time to use that exact design if they didn't have bigger plans for it as a featured accesory. The Cobra Bazooka trooper seems like something to satisfy that segment of our fan community that likes a low key Cobra Command enemy. The Original 13 enthusiasts probably fall into this group.

Well, from what I can see, he doesn't have traditionally caucasian features, so that should count for something.

I didn't initially agree with the 'Leatherneck sucks' crowd... But realizing that Hasbro is capable of making the figures extremely different just by giving them a cheap plastic vest (Vipers, Mutt, Wild Bill and so on have an entire torso-covering accesory that could be easily produced in exchange for a totally new torso) I'm beginning to agree Leatherneck could have been better.

And head reusage in my opinion is just UNACCEPTABLE.

Customs ; D

Unofficial Glenda from the South American figure lines. A brilliant sense of variety the people in charge of the 25th line have! : D

Tom

I just think there are enough characters in the Joe Mythos, whether they are less well known RAH figures/characters (Rumbler, Skycreeper, Recoil and Astro-Viper, for example) or comic only characters (Billy, Dr. Venom, etc.). We've already seen several (Kwinn, Hard Master, Wraith, the Oktober Guard, Nemesis Enforcer). RAH had 567 figures figures to choose from. Throw in maybe another, what 50 characters (even it out to 600) comic and/or cartoon only characters and that is a LOT to pick from that they don't really NEED "guys from other lines" in there. Especially given that the line is, effectively finite. Even, as you mentioned above about "Pilot Scarlett" being Glenda, or the Red Ninja being "Satan". That just adds to my point about there being WAY more than enough to characters (now that you include Action Force and other foreign figures) to never make the line boring.

The thing that bugs me about the Cobra Bazooka guy is that they KEEP reusing that same mold over and over. I can see your point about the "low key" Cobra enemy, but I can do that on my own, so to speak. Just give a regular Cobra a bazooka or mortar. They already did it with that Night Watch Cobra pack (the guy with the laser rifle, the guy with the heavy machine gun, etc.). Seems it would just be a lot easier to do an accessories pack rather than give use the SAME figure with different web gear and a bazooka.

I mean we had the Cobra (5 pack), Cobra Officer, Jet Pack Trooper (Legions), Jet Pack Trooper (single), Cobra (single), Cobra (Legions), Stinger Driver, H.I.S.S. Driver, Night Watch Officer, Night Watch Trooper x4, "Scarface", Cobra Officer (Rank 3-pack) and Cobra (Rank 3-pack).

Now, also, we have the guy with the C.L.A.W., one in the "Ultimate Battles" pack, one in the desert pack, and Flint. I think that's more than enough reuse of that mold.

Hey Pes,

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to tear down your ideas. After reading over my 'quoted' post, I felt I came off maybe a little confrontational.

You make a great point about us having more than enough characters within the GI Joe mythos without having to involve outsiders like Matt Trakker (who I suppose will have the code name "Spectrum"?) I still like to be surprised. You know, since it's a Collector forcused line, not alot will surprise me. I mean, I know Kwinn exists, I know Doc Venom exists, and all the guys from Estrela, the Red Shadows, ect ect. But Matt Trakker?? What a surprise! And that's what I mean... can Trakker work within the world of GI Joe? Absolutely. Did I ever think I'd see him in the line? Never. And, with that, I think they made a good move. Becuase really, all the 25th Anniversary line is to most of us is an avenue for us to critique or praise new figures based on their accurate duplication of their original look.

As for the Cobra Bazooka man... Yeah, I could have done without him. But others want him, so... meh. No harm, no foul I guess.

Tom

Hey Pes,

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to tear down your ideas. After reading over my 'quoted' post, I felt I came off maybe a little confrontational.

You make a great point about us having more than enough characters within the GI Joe mythos without having to involve outsiders like Matt Trakker (who I suppose will have the code name "Spectrum"?) I still like to be surprised. You know, since it's a Collector forcused line, not alot will surprise me. I mean, I know Kwinn exists, I know Doc Venom exists, and all the guys from Estrela, the Red Shadows, ect ect. But Matt Trakker?? What a surprise! And that's what I mean... can Trakker work within the world of GI Joe? Absolutely. Did I ever think I'd see him in the line? Never. And, with that, I think they made a good move. Becuase really, all the 25th Anniversary line is to most of us is an avenue for us to critique or praise new figures based on their accurate duplication of their original look.

As for the Cobra Bazooka man... Yeah, I could have done without him. But others want him, so... meh. No harm, no foul I guess.

Tom

Maybe my response was a little defense too, no worries lol.

Maybe this is a test thing for M.A.S.K. After all it was a Kenner product and Hasbro has Kenner's lines.

It does bug me that they include guys like that. Or Wraith (do we NEED another "mysterious bad-ass"? We already HAVE Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Zartan, and Firefly, I'm sure, among others). I guess its because we know the line is limited (even if it is in our own imaginations @firedevil@ ).

I think they are starting to get the idea, in some ways, like including extra heads on some of these guys. Having an open door (or at least a window, lol) to the POSSIBILITY of other things (after all, they DID include "Mistress Armada" in the defunct Wave 4). Will we be seeing more M.A.S.K. guys or more Devil's Due characters? Its possible (and given that, shouldn't that guy that comes with the C.L.A.W. be a RAPTOR VIPER or whatever the hell Barrel Roll's disguse was)?

I liked the idea of Croc Master and I picked up this crocodile (came with a platypus) at Tuesday Mornings. Only saw the one, till I found this:

Crocodile002.jpg

Crocodile005.jpgCrocodile008.jpgCrocodile011.jpg

The legs move and the jaw opens and closes (I think this one is broken, look at the front view), though the jaw should open UP not DOWN.

And, of course Steve Irwin:

Crocodile009.jpg

Only $3. Seems like a cheaper way to go then buying mulitiple Croc Masters.

I feel it behooves me to point out that Matt Trakker/MASK has a neat tribute that no one has pointed out yet. The Annihilator backpack that he's wearing is cast in green and black, and is obviously done to resemble the helicopter mode of the Condor vehicle, which was a motorcycle that became a helicopter in the MASK line.

See Matt and his backpack here.

See the Condor here.

On another note, we know now that Hasbro has made accessories to go with HEAT-Viper, Dial-Tone, Annihilators, and I'm pretty sure Matt's helmet is from Techno-Viper (or at least, is the same one used in the custom)... anyone I'm missing?

I feel it behooves me to point out that Matt Trakker/MASK has a neat tribute that no one has pointed out yet. The Annihilator backpack that he's wearing is cast in green and black, and is obviously done to resemble the helicopter mode of the Condor vehicle, which was a motorcycle that became a helicopter in the MASK line.

See the Condor here.

On another note, we know now that Hasbro has made accessories to go with HEAT-Viper, Dial-Tone, Annihilators, and I'm pretty sure Matt's helmet is from Techno-Viper (or at least, is the same one used in the custom)... anyone I'm missing?

I saw that and thought the same thing. Doubt we'll ever see a Condor with Brad Turner, haha... (Here's hoping Miles Mayhem and Vanessa Warfield join Cobra very soon.)

See the Condor here.

You beat me to the post about the hele-pack being in Condor colors. Giving Trakker a hele-pack is also a nod to the MASK Adventure sets where the figures would come with small "transforming" backpack...though Trakker didn't come with it, a hele-pack was issued in the line. As for the mask, it looks to be something from Star Wars/Clone Troopers...