Dark Knight discussion

SUPREMEQUEEN

My God! where do I beguin! I guess i'll start with the Cinnamatography. I can't beguin to tell you how happy I am that they broke even farther away from that whole "faux" city look that Tim Burton (no disrespect) had in the 88 movie

The city looked EXTREAMLY REAL & believeable. also they stayed away from making the sets all "warm" & looking like it came ou of a Norman Rockwell painting. Smallville & Superman Returns had that FX going on (not that its a bad FX), its just realy cool to see film makers go back to that kind of thing. The 1st Superman flim had that whole "major city cold/this is you job, not a place to make you feel all warm & fuzzy" look.

Ok, next I wanna comment on the use of IMAX cameras. this was my 1st IMAX movie & needless to say it won't be my last (side note the watchmen trailer was shown & it looks super). As a matter of fact I'm ready to blow up all standard theators & have only IMAX!

ok, now the performances: let's just get straight to Ledger's. THE MAN WAS GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still struggleing for words to discribe how great he was. After having seen it now (twice btw), i was totaly engrossed by the man's sheer talent! & I'm not just saying that. yes this whole thread is just a bunch of peoples opinions, but I do consider my self a hard audiance. & I'm very happy & proud to grant this movie 5 stars!!!

incase you wondering I can count on 1 hand how few movies ever get a 5star rateing out of me. brb my peeps are calling, i'll come back & finish this later tons of people are blowing me up dieing to talk about TDK!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much of a DC fan (huge Marvel fan though), but I've always liked Batman, and I have to say this movie was just freakin' AWESOME!

One thing that needs to be touched on is the great plot in this movie. It kept moving at a good pace, and everything fit together perfectly. Didn't even feel like I was sitting in the theater for over two and a half hours...actually, I didn't WANT it to end, it was so good.

And, yes, Ledger was terrific as the Joker. The movie did a great job of fleshing out the Joker, and Ledger really made it work.

Saw it today. I think it didn't live up to the hype some people are putting on it. (best movie ever?) It was amazing though. I think it edges out Batman 89' Spider-man and Iron Man as the best comic movie ever. I thought it was strange that they killed off Two Face as I thought he would be the villian for the third movie. I guess that will be Penguin or catwoman now? Not both at the same time though as that would be too returns. I liked how they had everyone turn against Batman at the end and he is now a hunted man. It will be a new fresh direction for the third movie.

this was the best Batman movie by far! i knew that Ledger was good,..but not that good! he dominated that movie! two-face really surprised me!, he was way more scary on screen than on any of the pics. these are the way that i like to see my villians.......gangsta!

Saw it today. I think it didn't live up to the hype some people are putting on it. (best movie ever?) It was amazing though. I think it edges out Batman 89' Spider-man and Iron Man as the best comic movie ever. I thought it was strange that they killed off Two Face as I thought he would be the villian for the third movie. I guess that will be Penguin or catwoman now? Not both at the same time though as that would be too returns. I liked how they had everyone turn against Batman at the end and he is now a hunted man. It will be a new fresh direction for the third movie.

who said he was dead.....he might of lived....gordon did!

Yeah this was an incredible movie. I wanted to stick around for the next showing of it today but everything was sold out til tomorrow. So I plan to go back then.

I thought this movie was way better than any of the others as well. Ledger's take on the Joker was just outstanding. I believe I actually like his portrayal of Joker better than Nicholson's. Throughout the whole movie I was trying to think of someone who could take up the role. Only person that came to mind was Johnny Depp. I could see him taking the role and doing just as good as Ledger. I can't see anyone else even touching it.

I was surprised that they killed off Rachel Dawes, but I wasn't a huge fan of the character anyway. I really didn't care too much for Katie Holmes and I hated Maggie even more.

I agree with Pooda. I don't believe Two-Face is dead. I was really impressed with Eckhart's work with this character. I really liked it. The pics were nothing compared to what was seen in the movie.

I do believe that this was probably the best comic book film ever made with Iron Man being a close second. I know it's hard for me to even enjoy the other Batman films knowing this one is out. I can't wait to get it on DVD!

Nolan had stated this movie would be a stand alone. No sequel would be needed after this one.

Im sure after making 18.4 million just with the midnight opening, they will be banging down his door.

Too bad they finally let the villian live to fight again, and the actor dies.

this was possibly my favorite movie of all time.

l wrote a long post about two face probably being alive, but stupid server asked me to log back on, so here is the short version:

Nolan seems to make 2face's death a bit ambigious like Rais and believed that his death is up to the audience.

1. Batman fells off the ledge with Twoface. He is wearing armour, but I would believe that the suit would not let him get hurt from knives and bullets, not from falls.

2. Batman pushed Harvey off. Havin said that, Batman doesn't kill and if he did have twoface die, he would regret it. Also, remember how Batman threw off that one dude off the building? He knew what he was doing and I am sure he knew what he was doing when he threw two face off. It would make since if he killed two face, but let his "creator" the five time cop killer, the joker, live.

3. Batman and gordon wanted Two face to die as Harvey Dent so as no one would know that he lived as a villian, which would undo the things he did when he was harvey. In other words, the crimminals would be free and all of Harvey Dent's position as DA would be in vein. by having a public funeral of Dent, ppl would not know what he has become; I imagine Dent is locked up somewhere, receiving medication.

As for the acting, I thought Ledger was a better joker than the one in the previous Tim Burton's movie and I thought Eckhart was really good as an actor. I thought the main characters were really believeable.

It was more than a worthy sequel a really excellent movie but was a little dissapointing for me.

First the bad, because theres less of it than good. I have to say that my biggest problem with this movie was that it seemed like there was no central character. Even worse, the supposed main character Batman himself was the least interesting character in the movie. Thats why Begins was superior. It had Batman as a central caracter and portrayed him as a complex enigma, unlike this movie where he felt rather flat and one dimensional. And I have to say Christian Bale really annoyed me with that ultra cheesey voice. JUst... why? I understand he has to disguise his voice but he sounded like a fool.

Other than that there were just minor things that bugged me, the glowing sonar eyes of Batman, the "spider-man" like scenes such as the one where the two kids are pretending to fight guns and then the car blows up. The terrible acting from Jim Gordan's son.

I Liked the preformances. I really liked Ledger's Joker and am dissapointed he won't be able to make him return to fight another day. Gary Oldman is always good and Jim Gordan is such an imporant character I was happy he had so much screen time. He has the character down pat. Evey other live portrayal of Jim Gordan has been nothing short of a pathetic joke. There is nothing about the Burtan movie's Gordan that leads me to believe that he is Jim Gordan. but Oldman, one of the most underrated ad professional actors of all time brings him to life possibly more accurately than any other character in the Nolan movies.

Eckhart was good and I loved what they did with Two face although he seemed a little rushed, I wanted more of him but felt they used him just the right amount to make his role in themovie make sense. Part of me withes he wasn't in the movie though because I like the character and like what Eckhart did I think he could stand alone in another movie.

Ok, as someone pointed out before, I'm going to start with stuff that bothered me a bit, that stay in hte 'Could have been better, it's not annoying but could have been better" parameter:

Batman's voice: I liked him in the first movie, but this one went a bit over the top. At some lines, I thought his voice was going to break. " I must stop the Joker, I'm the only. . .cough...cough...one who can cough".

The film started a bit slow. The bank robbery was really good, but after that,just a few Batman appearances like the Hong Kong part, or Scarecrow's pursuit,Batman at the top of a building just listening or Rachel's rescue, but too they were too short.They're just good scenes, but they could have been better.

He had Batarangs, but never used them.

The good: EVERYTHING ELSE!!! I felt the movie really took off after those short Batman interventions.

Joker: Maaaaaaaaaaan!!!!! What a crazy bastard he was, specially with his first magic trick, hahahaha!!! Ledger made me forgot i was watching his performance, I could see a REAL Joker. Def. deserves being considered for an Oscar. Great, great, GREAT Joker!!!!!

Two-Face: The develop of the character thru the movie, was well thought and better executed. And his acting was surprisingly good, it gave as much chills as Joker did.

Action. the fighting, the ban robbery, Batman in hong kong, at the club, What can I say, i liked it, the tension, and anxiety took over me, specially when the two boats were deciding which boat was going to sruvive (again, thanx to the Joker)

Batpod. Simple design and effective when striking.

The techonolgy used to aid Batman, new suit included. I thoght it was going to look a bit power rangerish, but it surprised me it looked good and sleeker than the first suit

Rachel Dawes dead. I guess they knew how to use her character to give Harvey a reason to be a bad guy. You don't lose the chick that just told u i want to marry u seconds before it gets killed everyday, right? Sides, I never found Maggie atractive, not ugly, but not really atractive.

Joker's last dialog with Batman. "We compliment each other" Amazing lines. "You're just too fun to kill"

The set up for the third movie. All against Batman, who can be the next bat villian???or will they be two?? or since he needs help, maybe we'll see robin (which if done right, why not)??

Too many enigmas. . .

I just got back from seeing it!

I'm not going to say it was the best movie I ever saw, but it was certainly up there.

I've never been good at estimating how good or bad an actor's portrayal, usually because I never really get into the world of actors and actresses, so I don't know if they're playing themselves (Morgan Freeman is ALWAYS hired to play Morgan Freeman) or doing a hokey bit perfomance. That, and I don't know who most of them are, to be fair. But I have to say I never saw a hint of any person other than the Joker in Ledger's performance. Nor did I detect any overt fiction to his behavior... you believed in this person he was showing you. Creepy.

From his 'magic trick', to his testing Batman after the Batpod/18 wheeler showdown, to the final scene, it was clear Joker was a chaotic mastermind. I even like how he summed up his and Batman's relationship with Batman being unable to kill him due to his moral code, and him not wanting to kill Bats because he's too much fun to toy with...

I'm glad they brought Scarecrow back, even for a cameo. He's my favorite Batman villain, and his comment about Batman 'not needing any help' was rad. 'Seems he recovered from his gassing in the first film...

By the way, to those of you who are debating it - from all the hints the movie drops and the atmosphere established in the following scenes, it's obvious Harvey Dent died from his fall. Sure, Batman saved Joker from dying, but with Two-Face, his reaction was out of panic and saving Gordon's son. That, and of course Bats could survive a three story fall - HE FELL FROM LIKE TWO DOZEN WHEN HE SAVED RACHEL.

Tom

i think harvey dent/two face is alive...they just made harvey dents death public to make him like a martyr and still be the beacon of good for the city to strive for. They prob have harvey locked up somewhere, recovering and psych care at arkham under hush hush circustances

i think harvey dent/two face is alive...they just made harvey dents death public to make him like a martyr and still be the beacon of good for the city to strive for. They prob have harvey locked up somewhere, recovering and psych care at arkham under hush hush circustances

I agree, JJ.

And this film was awe-inspiring...simply amazing.

It was more than a worthy sequel a really excellent movie but was a little dissapointing for me.

First the bad, because theres less of it than good. I have to say that my biggest problem with this movie was that it seemed like there was no central character. Even worse, the supposed main character Batman himself was the least interesting character in the movie. Thats why Begins was superior. It had Batman as a central caracter and portrayed him as a complex enigma, unlike this movie where he felt rather flat and one dimensional. And I have to say Christian Bale really annoyed me with that ultra cheesey voice. JUst... why? I understand he has to disguise his voice but he sounded like a fool.

Other than that there were just minor things that bugged me, the glowing sonar eyes of Batman, the "spider-man" like scenes such as the one where the two kids are pretending to fight guns and then the car blows up. The terrible acting from Jim Gordan's son.

I Liked the preformances. I really liked Ledger's Joker and am dissapointed he won't be able to make him return to fight another day. Gary Oldman is always good and Jim Gordan is such an imporant character I was happy he had so much screen time. He has the character down pat. Evey other live portrayal of Jim Gordan has been nothing short of a pathetic joke. There is nothing about the Burtan movie's Gordan that leads me to believe that he is Jim Gordan. but Oldman, one of the most underrated ad professional actors of all time brings him to life possibly more accurately than any other character in the Nolan movies.

Eckhart was good and I loved what they did with Two face although he seemed a little rushed, I wanted more of him but felt they used him just the right amount to make his role in themovie make sense. Part of me withes he wasn't in the movie though because I like the character and like what Eckhart did I think he could stand alone in another movie.

i keep telling everyone....a batman movie(except the 1st in a series) is going to be about the criminals! once you put bats origin out...theres nothing left. think about it...you know what bats is going to do...stop the bad guys! but...what are the bad guys going to do to to provoke him...thats whats going to make the movie. but his voice did sound like he was loosing it at times.

<H1 id=articlehed>The Dark Knight: 'Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?'</H1>By Daniel Dumas icon_email.gif16 hours ago dark_knight_630px.jpg zoom.gif The Bat-Pod's forward-swooping design allows the rider to steer with his shoulders. Currently only one stuntman in the world has the skills to drive it.

Courtesy Warner Bros. Pictures /TM, © DC Comics

Batman is just a gadget geek at heart. A very, very wealthy gadget geek. But until recently, he's employed some tech that's, well, pretty unbelievable. Ice skates popping out of boots? Come on!

Not in The Dark Knight. Director Christopher Nolan's version of Batman is an almost-believable early adopter, with every high tech gizmo at his disposal firmly grounded in real-world technology. To get the lowdown on the five coolest pieces of gear from the film, we sat down with the film's Oscar-nominated production designer, Nathan Crowley, to find out where the inspiration for each Bat-gadget came from.

Bat-Pod

After the Batmobile (aka the Tumbler) is destroyed, Batman is forced to continue his pursuit of the Joker on this machine-gunning, shoulder-navigated, gimbals-sporting two-wheeler. This is a vehicle made for multitasking, allowing Batman to fire its guns, steer hands-free and maneuver hard without much risk of a wipeout. Says Crowley, "If you go over on its side, it keeps you upright."

Real-World Counterpart: Dodge Tomahawk

The Bat-Pod most closely resembles the V-10, 500-horsepower Dodge Tomahawk concept vehicle. But designwise, Crowley says, the 'Pod draws most of its inspiration from the general design of the Tumbler itself. Just compare the front tires on the two vehicles: They're the same. "We didn't want it to be anything more than raw function, and that's why it looks like it does," says Crowley.

Cowl

Past Batmen have had a hard time turning their heads (paging Michael Keaton), because the cowl was a solid piece of rubber attached to the suit itself. Not this time. Able to move independently of the suit, Batman's new mask now allows him to crane his head up and down and side-to-side with ease.

Real-World Counterpart: Motorcycle Helmet

When racing a Hayabusa at 180 mph, visibility and flexibility are everything. That's why the independently pivoting design of a motorcycle helmet and racing suit served as the chief point of reference for Batman's cowl design.

The Batsuit

bat_suit_350px.jpg The new Batsuit is designed with mobility in mind. Batman can now turn his head up and down and side-to-side.

Courtesy Warner Bros. Pictures/TM, © DC Comics "We really wanted to change up the suit," Crowley admits. Adding more protection in addition to more flexibility (and less nipple) than previous versions, the armor worn by Batman comprises hundreds of interlocking plates that move independently of each other. The result? Batman is more mobile, can do more stunts, and can kick a lot more ass.

Real-World Counterpart: Samurai Armor

The interlocking plates of the Batsuit -- while made of modern materials like Nomex, titanium and Kevlar -- share their design with ancient armor once worn by Samurai warriors in feudal Japan. These lightweight, lacquered get-ups were strong, contained hundreds of interlocking pieces, and allowed their wearers a full range of motion.

Sticky-Bomb Gun

When Batman has to apprehend a villain in Hong Kong, he utilizes a weapon that fires sticky, orange bomb pellets that adhere to glass. The gun is collapsible, breaking down to small pieces that Batman can store on his belt. "It's more like a piece of origami than anything else," says Crowley.

Real-World Counterpart: Collapsible Rifle

The sticky-bomb gun owes its DNA to any collapsible weapon. Just have a look at the M-40 rifle (.pdf) favored by Marine Corps snipers: The gun can be broken down into multiple parts for easy transportation. The explosive, sticky ammo, though? That's 100 percent pure Crowley.

3-D Sonar System

Since the Joker does not have a lair or a base, Batman must track the constantly mobile madman through the streets of Gotham. To do this he uses a cowl-mounted sonar device that triangulates the baddies' cellphone signals and then renders the sound of their communication into a 3-D visual map.

Real-World Counterparts: Lidar and Sonar

Usually utilizing lasers, a Lidar system measures reflected light to find the range, dimensions and other properties of far-off objects. Sonar, of course, is the technology of bouncing sound waves off faraway objects to get a realistic picture of where those objects are. Combine the two, and you've got the 3-D system Batman uses to hunt his quarry

The unpredictablity of the film constantly kept you on the edge of your seat LITERALY! I kept leaning forward as each diabolical plot twist jumped out. The death toll & body count caused by the joker was unbelievable!

The way he snatched up his victom & holds them by their neck & head. the way he presses the blade of his knife in to their face. its like he inviting his vivtom to share in his pain & torcher, both phyical & mental. There is no doubt in my mind that The Joke is totaly unredemable!!

OMG! The hospital scene! I've never felt a combonation of humor & fright to tightly interwined. I was left wanting so much more from this chacter that I almost want to be his pray. to be held yoked up in his choke hold. to feel the cold steel point of his blade edge down my face. to not know if I'm about to be bathed in the warmpth of my own blood as it pours out & over me.................

& HIS MIND!!! how it poses it self as one of the most enigmatic puzzeles of all time. God what must this man have gone thu that made his sole so black, that turned his heart in to a bottemless pit of mutilation & suffering. they were not lying when they called Ledgers performance Oscar worthy!!!

Never once did I feel like I knew where this movie was going to go. the only thing that makes me sad is that it'll be another 20 years till another actor comes along with skill enough to match or even beat Ledgers performance. also I cringe to think about the 3rd installment. with a movie the flipping awsome, & with Ledger having come thu with all that been promised of his perfoemance, it makes me wonder is the 3rd installment is gonna crash & burn (spierman 3 anyone).

also I don't want to slight Eckhart's Two Face/Harvy Dent. The man was Brillant!!! & Gordon was pulled off flawlessly. The whole cass was a MASTERPICE!!! I'm telling you people we won't see the likes of a movie of this kind (or any kind), for many years to come.

I've only ever givin a 5star rateing to a handfull of movies, THE DARK KNIGHT is one!!!

oh yeah one more thing. I know the way I've been going on & on about my IMAX experiance u'd think I have stock in the thing. its not that, its just that I've seen TDK in both IMAX & reg theator.

PEOPLE I'm telling you, your cheating your self out of SOOOOOOOOO flippin much by not seeing it in IMAX. in both picture & sound. when Ledger uses his psyco crowl when talking you can realy hear & feel this man is unhinged. this effect can not be dupplocated by just a realy loud suround system, it must be experianced in IMAX.

This was my only real problem with the movie.......it should have been titled "Gotham City." There are parts where the movie touches on this. (Bruce Wayne)...but never really goes into Wayne deeply. When Alfred is talking about the robber in South America.....and how Wayne thinks he is escalating things rather than helping.......I thought that could be explained more. Still gets 5-stars in my book.....this is just nerd nitpicking.

Joker was NUTS......I thought he could have laughed a little more.....sometimes I just wanted a cackle out of him.....like he was enjoying what he was doing. He was more of a terrorist than anything and I thought that was a good way to present the Joker......"I just want my phone call" Classic!!!

Glad to see some more Batman-type qualities.......him disappearing, throwing Maroni off the fire balcony and breaking his legs........interrogations.

Refreshing to see a Gordon that actually kicks ass and takes names. The theater clapped when he took off the mask and told the Joker "Now we got your ass" Or something like that. After the Bat-Pod chase.......he saves Batman. Great stuff.....

Great film.......now I want a Turf war in the 3rd with the Penguin and Harvey-Two Face fighting for control of Gotham. Dent is still alive.........I could even go for Ra's coming back.

What impressed me the most about this film was that it never let up...each twist and turn was suprising and shocking. I knew what to expect going in, Joker vs. Batman, Harvey becomes Two-Face, but Nolan took everything we knew and expected, and made it so fresh and exciting. The Dark Knight is an example of what happens when superb writing, directing, acting, and cinematography come together...a film that transcends all genres and stands alone as a piece of art. I really feel that this is my favorite film of all time, and by far the best superhero movie. This summer has given us the best two superhero films ever (Dark Knight and Iron Man). Man, we're lucky!

Great film.......now I want a Turf war in the 3rd with the Penguin and Harvey-Two Face fighting for control of Gotham. Dent is still alive.........I could even go for Ra's coming back.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I was trying to think of what a third film could be...and this is a great idea: a turf war for control of Gotham. It makes sense considering most of the organized crime bosses are behind bars. Penguin would make perfect sense as a crime boss coming in to take over...and the film would be a chess game between him and Bats, since Penguin is so good at covering his tail and the police would have nothing against him. Bats would really have to operate above the law to take him down.

i dont get y peopel are sying they need more charcter development for batman....the first movie was all batman.....i mena u know why hes batman already. any sequel will be about the villan and his orgins

I guess I'm the only person in the world that caught the gag in this movie.....Did anyone notice who played the Mayor of Gotham?? It was Nestor Carbonell aka Bat-Manuel from the live action Tick from 2001....It took me a second to figure out who he was because he wasn't using his Hispanic accent but once it hit me I laughed outloud and got shooshed in the theatre....lol Christopher Nolan has to be a funny,funny Guy!!! That was a classy move!!!

i was wondering why he was wearing eyeliner lol

i dont get y peopel are sying they need more charcter development for batman....the first movie was all batman.....i mena u know why hes batman already. any sequel will be about the villan and his orgins

I'm sorry that I want a Batman movie to be about Batman........I don't think the movie would have done as well if it was titled "The White Knight" and people we going to see a movie about Harvey Dent.......I know the movie wasn't all about Harvey.......but you get what I'm saying......the animated Batman series was for the most part about Batman, the comics for the most part are about Batman. I'm not really saying development just more Bats/Bruce. I don't know......its just something missing. I didn't mind when Wayne was onscreen.......it just seemed like a movie about Gotham City and not Batman so much.

This movie was EVERYTHING Batman related rolled into one........the Police, Gotham politics, Harvey/Rachel's love life, Joker, problems with the mob, Bruce Wayne and Batman. A lot going on.........not saying its bad but I would like a little more Batman with my Gotham.