DCUC Infinite Heroes

Dragon66

Jake,

I agree that making smart-ass remarks doesn't accomplish anything but it sure is fun!!! Actually, I've said my peace on a couple of other boards in their "ask mattel" threads with detailed criticisms so I felt like taking a shot. Anyway, I think what makes me saddest of it all is that this line will keep us from getting a REAL 1:18 scale line that is comparable and compatible with all the other 1:18 stuff out there. EVERY other 1:18 scale line out there made by a major manufacturer is much better executed in sculpt and in articulation than these. Most folks are willing to pay $6-$8 each for well made figures. I'm not happy with the rise in cost in Joes, SW, and the suggested price of the MU figures but I know the cost of making them has gone up too so I'm understanding of it. (I've actually written several dissertations to the real "cost" of figures on this and other boards) I work in a company that uses plastics so I know how it has skyrocketed over the last 2 years. Anyway, I think Mattel's BIGGEST mistake was designing around a price point (which is obviously what they did). I would almost lay money down that this is how everything went down:

1. DCSH sells like crazy, 4H & the Toy managers fight to get the rights to the whole DCU showing the support for it from the online community and show the comparison to what Marvel is doing and that DC is lagging behind.

2. Warner Bros. gives in, works out a contract and opens up Mattel to run like crazy with it.

3. DCUC is received well and with the waning of JLU, they look to see what the next option is for the "play" market. Lots of additions to the 1:18 market with other lines and increasing oil prices make "small" the next logical choice.

4. Design team wants to shrink DCUC and sell it (most logical choice) and suggest it. Sales & accounting comes up with a price they want to market at ($4.99) and tell the team to hit it and do it fast because they know Hasbro will make Marvel figures in that scale since it's Hasbro's flagship scale. Design guys get stuck having to find a way to make it and realize the only way is to used the same tooling over and over and keep POA minimal to hit the price.

5. Consumers get stuck with sub standard, rushed to market product that never should have been taken off the drawing board.

WHAT SHOULD have happened is they should have designed the toy first THEN assign a cost based on that rather than starting with the price and cutting to meet it. There are compromises that have to be made, I know, but quality shouldn't be one of them. Rather than try and beat Hasbro on price and beat them to market they should have tried to put out a product that was BETTER at a COMPARABLE price and they would have had a MUCH better reception and consumers would be MUCH happier with the end result.

HOPEFULLY, we'll eventually get a DCUC Mini-line, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jake,

I agree that making smart-ass remarks doesn't accomplish anything but it sure is fun!!! Actually, I've said my peace on a couple of other boards in their "ask mattel" threads with detailed criticisms so I felt like taking a shot. Anyway, I think what makes me saddest of it all is that this line will keep us from getting a REAL 1:18 scale line that is comparable and compatible with all the other 1:18 stuff out there. EVERY other 1:18 scale line out there made by a major manufacturer is much better executed in sculpt and in articulation than these. Most folks are willing to pay $6-$8 each for well made figures. I'm not happy with the rise in cost in Joes, SW, and the suggested price of the MU figures but I know the cost of making them has gone up too so I'm understanding of it. (I've actually written several dissertations to the real "cost" of figures on this and other boards) I work in a company that uses plastics so I know how it has skyrocketed over the last 2 years. Anyway, I think Mattel's BIGGEST mistake was designing around a price point (which is obviously what they did). I would almost lay money down that this is how everything went down:

1. DCSH sells like crazy, 4H & the Toy managers fight to get the rights to the whole DCU showing the support for it from the online community and show the comparison to what Marvel is doing and that DC is lagging behind.

2. Warner Bros. gives in, works out a contract and opens up Mattel to run like crazy with it.

3. DCUC is received well and with the waning of JLU, they look to see what the next option is for the "play" market. Lots of additions to the 1:18 market with other lines and increasing oil prices make "small" the next logical choice.

4. Design team wants to shrink DCUC and sell it (most logical choice) and suggest it. Sales & accounting comes up with a price they want to market at ($4.99) and tell the team to hit it and do it fast because they know Hasbro will make Marvel figures in that scale since it's Hasbro's flagship scale. Design guys get stuck having to find a way to make it and realize the only way is to used the same tooling over and over and keep POA minimal to hit the price.

5. Consumers get stuck with sub standard, rushed to market product that never should have been taken off the drawing board.

WHAT SHOULD have happened is they should have designed the toy first THEN assign a cost based on that rather than starting with the price and cutting to meet it. There are compromises that have to be made, I know, but quality shouldn't be one of them. Rather than try and beat Hasbro on price and beat them to market they should have tried to put out a product that was BETTER at a COMPARABLE price and they would have had a MUCH better reception and consumers would be MUCH happier with the end result.

HOPEFULLY, we'll eventually get a DCUC Mini-line, but I'm not holding my breath.

Great post! I agree that these were probably rushed to retail, which explains the poor paint job. I also agree that price point was probably a big part of the developement and marketing of this line. Thanks for the post man!

well you definitely won't have a hard time finding these as no one is buying them.

@stupid@

hahah touched a nerve there. don't take it personal otherwise boards are not for ya..hee.

didn't touch a nerve just incorrect....they are selling liek crazy here...and I bought em so someone is buying em

well you definitely won't have a hard time finding these as no one is buying them.

@stupid@

hahah touched a nerve there. don't take it personal otherwise boards are not for ya..hee.

Just picked up the series 1 3-packs and here is the verdict...

I LOVE em'. Would a little more articulation make these better? Sure. A ball jointed neck and a cut crotch would be amazing but these have an irresistible 'playability' to them. I sat there (my wife looking on in disgust) "posing" these things for hours.

I guess this belongs in here.... :unsure:

I'm really torn. First of all they look much better than I thought they would based on the "henious" descriptions. Second, They seem to be set to cranking quite a few of these out beofre the end of this year... could be cool come Christmas time.

I think I'm in for the short term and I was just wondering to myself what it would take to get me for the long term: (ie; vehicles, playsets, more troop type sets, more civilians(?)) I keep thinking that if they are probably only into production on wave 3, maybe we will see improvements for wves down the line... better paint, artic, scale could even shift slighty if soon(?)

I guess, my 1 thing is continued commitment to the obscure releases (ie: Jim Gordon, Prof Zoom) I really LOVE the idea of a line that could deliver an entire Universe of characters. My second would be scale (but not necessarily bigger) Just from character to charachter within the line (Supes and Bane taller for example)

What would it take for anyone of you to give a longer look to this line What 1 thing?

P.S. Oh yeah great to be back.... I was psyched I had my old log in and everything... Not seeing too many familar faces

i just dont understand why they dont have more articulation.? they could of done it, but it seems like they did them in the fashon of the DK 3 3/4 figs.(which were aimed at kids) but everyone keeps saying that, if these were for kids, they would of released superman or batman first.

They have MUCH better articulation then the 4" Dark Knight figs. The elbows and knees don't even move on those. I think this line will do well with kids, but I think it's aimed at adults who know and love these characters and who grew up with figures a lot like these. They really are a blast. I feel like I'm 7 again when I open them. I don't collect DCUC. I'm one of the few here I know, but I'm not looking for "adult" figures or poseable statues. I grew up with 3 3/4 inch figures and the love I had for those is what still has me buying figures today. By our modern standards, where everything that CAN be is made into some perfect likeness statuesqe knick-knack, they may seem pretty low-rate, but open one up and it'll all come rushing back. I freaking love these things. Oh, and JLU too, of course. By the way, I AM IN NO WAY KNOCKING DCUC!!! If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy them too!

i just dont understand why they dont have more articulation.? they could of done it, but it seems like they did them in the fashon of the DK 3 3/4 figs.(which were aimed at kids) but everyone keeps saying that, if these were for kids, they would of released superman or batman first.

I'm glad they don't have more articulation. I honestly never liked those Marvel Legends figures where every single freaking joint moved. First of all on some of the figures it really just looks bad and secondly I love the old school style of these. The only joint I think these figures could use is the leg ball joint. That's it. Everything else is night perfect.

I'm glad they don't have more articulation. I honestly never liked those Marvel Legends figures where every single freaking joint moved. First of all on some of the figures it really just looks bad and secondly I love the old school style of these. The only joint I think these figures could use is the leg ball joint. That's it. Everything else is night perfect.

Anything they can do in future waves will only help this line. I do admit that photos from San Diego look promising as long as they listen to fans and at least try to improve the line. More articulation in this line will only help because of the comic based look of the figure, otherwise the only posing you can do is Captain Marvel handing Guy Garner a beer.

this aint '85 bra. and....if you give'em a ball joint, then theres nothing left to change. the arms move out to the side, the elbows bend, neck turns, knees bend,(and thats whats already there before the added "ball joint") put the joint in.....BAM! more articulation.

this aint '85 bra. and....if you give'em a ball joint, then theres nothing left to change. the arms move out to the side, the elbows bend, neck turns, knees bend,(and thats whats already there before the added "ball joint") put the joint in.....BAM! more articulation.

Aside from the obvious articulation issues, There is the small matter of sculpting. They do a great job on a few of these, but not enough for me to commit to the line, with DCUC and JLU, I need some razzle dazzle to entice me to invest in a new line.

Well, it looks like Mattel is listening. According to an interview done at SDCC by Vanilla Blue at Fwoosh, DCIH IS ADDING ARTICULATION in later lines :

http://www.thefwoosh.com/index.php?option=...91&Itemid=1

With the improvement in the sculpts that were shown and now the added articulation, this MIGHT have a chance. I hope they fix the big hands too. I'll be interested to see how these wind up looking now and if they actually will look good with other 1:18 stuff. I hope so.

Well, it looks like Mattel is listening. According to an interview done at SDCC by Vanilla Blue at Fwoosh, DCIH IS ADDING ARTICULATION in later lines :

With the improvement in the sculpts that were shown and now the added articulation, this MIGHT have a chance. I hope they fix the big hands too. I'll be interested to see how these wind up looking now and if they actually will look good with other 1:18 stuff. I hope so.

I am open to seeing where they go but with what they have out now warming the pegs is keeping me from the JLU product that I want.

All good news! I just wish they would have asked if the price was going to go up. I can't see how it won't. $7.99 has killed a lot of lines for me.

All good news! I just wish they would have asked if the price was going to go up. I can't see how it won't. $7.99 has killed a lot of lines for me.

No accessories and no reason for everyone to hold a gun at $4.99 kills it for me.