Dropping The Ball

Nightwing4984

I'm going to jump in on this real quick.. First on the terms of R rated figures getting pushed, memory serves me that the Aliens and Terminator 2 figures where aimed DIRECTLY at children along time ago.. so that type of stuff does happen. To the topic creator's point on Mattel dropping the ball.. I gotta say I am a Mattel fan. The DC superheroes and DC universe figures have been my favorite lines since the start of the run (i've managed to get almost every figure since the first dc superheroes wave) but i will be honest.. its half and half. The paint problems that mattel has gone through has hurt alot of the lines.. needing to pull the movie masters off the shelves about 2 weeks (at most) after the release really hurt things.. that i can't so much blame em on.. I believe POODA said something to the effect if you didn't get up on the first and got your figures you couldn't complain.. not true. Why should a "mass market" product being sold at WAL-Mart be so crucial? I do totally understand chase figures.. but the way Mattel has put the MM chases out doesn't add up. I live in Memphis, TN and I can tell you straight out honest I PERSONALLY went through no less than 14 cases of MM and no chase (bale batman) over the course of about 6 stores that night. Then I get online hearing about how someone got 2 at one store? Then not a single reshipment anywhere here. I don't care how much you try to tell me thats no Mattel's fault thats not true. Chases do show up (those are making me think its a regional thing)... Reshipments do happen. Mattel is underproducing their figures and they have their track-record to prove it. Hasbro's doing the same thing with their 25th gi joe line. Rabid collectors = sell merchandise.. Less product = less money.. I don't get why these companies don't see the logic that they are missing out on $$$.

lets do this senario.....your at target 3 months from now, the DK film has died down(to most) and you hit the toy aisle, and see a complete set of whichever wave you dont have, youre going to by them. doesnt matter that the movie hype is gone....youre still a fan..and a collector....thats the logic. buy it now...or buy it later....youre still gonna buy it. as far as R movies with figs....Alien(s) figs were from the cartoon. the outline was taken from the movie( characters, some vehicles) but the concept of humans hunting aliens is a classic for kids. thats why they did terminator 2 figs. the story was based around a child( i think they knew kids were going to watch this one) the film had basicly no blood. be sides the shooting and the curssing...this was PG. i even remember the predator had some figs....all of these lines died very quickly. and.....getting up on the 1st is very correct. you knew that these figs were going to be HOT! anytime a scalper will get up and go buy every fig, just to sell them on ebay....you better be prepared! you gotta a choice....be there, or be square. scalpers dont stop..they dont care about some grown men and their collecting hobby....just the bucks! the pre-orders sold out in a week for these figs, every collector made a big deal about these....you guys know better than to sit on your asses on releae day! thats the difference between "me" and alot of others. not trying to sound like an A-HOLE, but...if you knew that may 1st was the release date for the movie of the year figs...you shoulda been on it......cause the scalpers were! (trust me..i seen'em)

I get what you are saying Pooda but that is saying that they will be around 3 months from now. The line might be refreshed with new or reissues of TDK and BB Batmans but are we sure that hanging there too will Bale, Fear Toxin and Joker? I think I mentioned before that if Mattel does like they did with MOTU, you won't see any of those unless they are online for at least twice there retail but prolly more. And showing up on release day is cool assuming your stores are going to get them. But I live in a semi-city big in NC but we don't always get things release day or we get the equivalent of one case per store. Ive seen things that is suppose to be released this day on this time at this store and not get it to a week later. NC is not considered a big buying property for companies, especially for collectors. That is why I'm big on the secondary market b/c the first tends to let me down.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to jump in on this real quick.. First on the terms of R rated figures getting pushed, memory serves me that the Aliens and Terminator 2 figures where aimed DIRECTLY at children along time ago.. so that type of stuff does happen. To the topic creator's point on Mattel dropping the ball.. I gotta say I am a Mattel fan. The DC superheroes and DC universe figures have been my favorite lines since the start of the run (i've managed to get almost every figure since the first dc superheroes wave) but i will be honest.. its half and half. The paint problems that mattel has gone through has hurt alot of the lines.. needing to pull the movie masters off the shelves about 2 weeks (at most) after the release really hurt things.. that i can't so much blame em on.. I believe POODA said something to the effect if you didn't get up on the first and got your figures you couldn't complain.. not true. Why should a "mass market" product being sold at WAL-Mart be so crucial? I do totally understand chase figures.. but the way Mattel has put the MM chases out doesn't add up. I live in Memphis, TN and I can tell you straight out honest I PERSONALLY went through no less than 14 cases of MM and no chase (bale batman) over the course of about 6 stores that night. Then I get online hearing about how someone got 2 at one store? Then not a single reshipment anywhere here. I don't care how much you try to tell me thats no Mattel's fault thats not true. Chases do show up (those are making me think its a regional thing)... Reshipments do happen. Mattel is underproducing their figures and they have their track-record to prove it. Hasbro's doing the same thing with their 25th gi joe line. Rabid collectors = sell merchandise.. Less product = less money.. I don't get why these companies don't see the logic that they are missing out on $$$.

lets do this senario.....your at target 3 months from now, the DK film has died down(to most) and you hit the toy aisle, and see a complete set of whichever wave you dont have, youre going to by them. doesnt matter that the movie hype is gone....youre still a fan..and a collector....thats the logic. buy it now...or buy it later....youre still gonna buy it. as far as R movies with figs....Alien(s) figs were from the cartoon. the outline was taken from the movie( characters, some vehicles) but the concept of humans hunting aliens is a classic for kids. thats why they did terminator 2 figs. the story was based around a child( i think they knew kids were going to watch this one) the film had basicly no blood. be sides the shooting and the curssing...this was PG. i even remember the predator had some figs....all of these lines died very quickly. and.....getting up on the 1st is very correct. you knew that these figs were going to be HOT! anytime a scalper will get up and go buy every fig, just to sell them on ebay....you better be prepared! you gotta a choice....be there, or be square. scalpers dont stop..they dont care about some grown men and their collecting hobby....just the bucks! the pre-orders sold out in a week for these figs, every collector made a big deal about these....you guys know better than to sit on your asses on releae day! thats the difference between "me" and alot of others. not trying to sound like an A-HOLE, but...if you knew that may 1st was the release date for the movie of the year figs...you shoulda been on it......cause the scalpers were! (trust me..i seen'em)

I get what you are saying Pooda but that is saying that they will be around 3 months from now. The line might be refreshed with new or reissues of TDK and BB Batmans but are we sure that hanging there too will Bale, Fear Toxin and Joker? I think I mentioned before that if Mattel does like they did with MOTU, you won't see any of those unless they are online for at least twice there retail but prolly more. And showing up on release day is cool assuming your stores are going to get them. But I live in a semi-city big in NC but we don't always get things release day or we get the equivalent of one case per store. Ive seen things that is suppose to be released this day on this time at this store and not get it to a week later. NC is not considered a big buying property for companies, especially for collectors. That is why I'm big on the secondary market b/c the first tends to let me down.

well....a joker will be coming in most waves. as for bale and the toxin bats.....some are just S.O.L. but thats with most chase figs....gotta chase'em...might not catch'em, but still gotta chase'em. ive given up on toxin bats(missed the release date) so if i didnt have a bale,...ill just be assed out! no one knows what the REAL plans for this line are......i think they are going to catch alot of collectors up to speed.

Well for wave 2 I showed up on release day and still no fear toxin Batman. The shelves were pretty well stocked so Idk if anyone in my area got one or if there was only one. But check this out there is three comic book stores near me: 3, 8, and 30 miles away, the 30 mile away one is the best but none of them got in any MMs. So I asked the 8 mile away one if they were going to or could special order me a TDK Batman (couldn't find any) and the guy said, "No, we don't get in things that everywhere has." I said to him if he has looked at TRU and Walmart b/c its dry as a freaking bone. He replyed "Yeah I know it sucks too, I want a Joker." Got to love NC.

Yeah, I'm looking for a DK Batman as well. That and a Thug. I would say that Mattel has 'Dropped The Ball' in Distribution, because the actual MM figures are awesome, only problem is nobody can find 'em. And ussually the Distibution Ball-Dropping is Hasbro's game....... None of my shops have gotten the BAF fantastic four figures yet.....

Part of me feels like no matter what all the mistakes were (the sudden disappearance of all MM figs and the rumors of some recall) it comes down to the business side of a numbers game. I don't think release dates, being first in line, 40 cases and three chase per case, any of that makes as much of a difference as the local stores buying stock and selling out and Mattel not being able to respond quick enough to the bought out stock. And as for waves go the time between Wave 1 and Wave 2 was really short. I was surprised it was just a couple of months. Of course if you hadn't bought Wave 1 in the first month you were SOL.

Yeah, I'm looking for a DK Batman as well. That and a Thug. I would say that Mattel has 'Dropped The Ball' in Distribution, because the actual MM figures are awesome, only problem is nobody can find 'em. And ussually the Distibution Ball-Dropping is Hasbro's game....... None of my shops have gotten the BAF fantastic four figures yet.....

if you noticed...theyre more people with them, than without them. as fo FF figs....they had them things EVERYWHERE! i can still get some for 5.00 at some places. look...when they put up preorders for figs.....use it.

Part of me feels like no matter what all the mistakes were (the sudden disappearance of all MM figs and the rumors of some recall) it comes down to the business side of a numbers game. I don't think release dates, being first in line, 40 cases and three chase per case, any of that makes as much of a difference as the local stores buying stock and selling out and Mattel not being able to respond quick enough to the bought out stock. And as for waves go the time between Wave 1 and Wave 2 was really short. I was surprised it was just a couple of months. Of course if you hadn't bought Wave 1 in the first month you were SOL.

you were just complaining in the other thread that wave 3 was boring(x2 jokers, x1 DK bats, BB bats) you guys have to understand....you are amongst the few that couldnt get their hands on some MMs. as for chases...you know that they are WAY harder to find.

I know its attempt to catch people up but personally I think it is boring. But other than the chases the only one I don't own is the Thug, but if everything goes to plan I should have that one by the end of the month. But still I kind of think that just a whole set of re-releases is just boring. I would like to see one other figure in series 3, a new character, something to bring everyone else out to it.

Btw did we ever find out exactly what happened with the MM disappearance from the shelves?

I know its attempt to catch people up but personally I think it is boring. But other than the chases the only one I don't own is the Thug, but if everything goes to plan I should have that one by the end of the month. But still I kind of think that just a whole set of re-releases is just boring. I would like to see one other figure in series 3, a new character, something to bring everyone else out to it.

Btw did we ever find out exactly what happened with the MM disappearance from the shelves?

it was a false alarm.

see....thats what i was talking about. you got a DK, but if you(not you personally) didnt, you would of wanted them to bring them back. thats why they didnt wanna over ship....now everyone without the first set, gets a crack at them. people in my position can sit back, and stay outta the way.

Yeah I get that and know that is the point. And hopefully that will catch everyone up so that wave 4 can be new figures. :)

im glad that you get, and know the point. as for wave 4......my hopes are the same as yours.

Pooda, A, I ussually don't buy online, except when ABSOLOUTELY nessessary, B, In my area at least, the F4 BAF's just never showed up just like the 360's. They just never came in. And C, I don't particularly care about them, it just seemed a perfect example. Except the 360's, as I have been trying to track down a Venom...

That 'Use It.' thing just seemed a bit.. well, harsh. I know I'm an idiot approx. 47.8% of the time, but that just seemed....well... I don't want anyone hit the wrong way, if you know what I'm saying.

BACK ON TOPIC.........

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news... but originally Mattel originally stated that there would be 6 figure plus Chases.

SERIES 1-Chase, Unmasked Batman

1-DK Batman

2-JOKER

3-Thug

SERIES 2-Chase, Fear Toxin Batman

4-Begins Batman

5-Scarecrow

SERIES 3-Chase,?????

-Re Releases

SERIES 4-Chase, Unburned Harvey Dent?

6?-Harvey Two-Face?

If Series 4 is Dent, then that would make the 6 figures that were originally mentioned, unless Mattel has announced that there would be more than 6, and chases.

And apparently, Pooda is right, more people HAVE at least 1 MM than those that don't have any. At least from what I have seen. The biggest issue is that Jokers are still near-impossible to find for the most part, as they are 1 per case. Hopefully when Series 3 comes out, having twice the amount shipped should help.

I am looking forward to series 3 because, as I keep mentioning I never grabbed a DK Batman... But I am also hoping for an all new line up for series 4.

Pooda, A, I ussually don't buy online, except when ABSOLOUTELY nessessary, B, In my area at least, the F4 BAF's just never showed up just like the 360's. They just never came in. And C, I don't particularly care about them, it just seemed a perfect example. Except the 360's, as I have been trying to track down a Venom...

That 'Use It.' thing just seemed a bit.. well, harsh. I know I'm an idiot approx. 47.8% of the time, but that just seemed....well... I don't want anyone hit the wrong way, if you know what I'm saying.

BACK ON TOPIC.........

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news... but originally Mattel originally stated that there would be 6 figure plus Chases.

SERIES 1-Chase, Unmasked Batman

1-DK Batman

2-JOKER

3-Thug

SERIES 2-Chase, Fear Toxin Batman

4-Begins Batman

5-Scarecrow

SERIES 3-Chase,?????

-Re Releases

SERIES 4-Chase, Unburned Harvey Dent?

6?-Harvey Two-Face?

If Series 4 is Dent, then that would make the 6 figures that were originally mentioned, unless Mattel has announced that there would be more than 6, and chases.

And apparently, Pooda is right, more people HAVE at least 1 MM than those that don't have any. At least from what I have seen. The biggest issue is that Jokers are still near-impossible to find for the most part, as they are 1 per case. Hopefully when Series 3 comes out, having twice the amount shipped should help.

I am looking forward to series 3 because, as I keep mentioning I never grabbed a DK Batman... But I am also hoping for an all new line up for series 4.

i dont mean to come off like an ass....thats the problem with typing/reading. (cant tell sometimes) but i will admit,..some people move me the wrong way when they complain, but we all do it, so......as for six figs....are you saying that mattel originally stated that the MMs would come in cases of 6? if so, thats not true. the protos showed the 1st wave and all of the pre orders said cases of 4. other than that, you told me something new.

I didn't think Two-Face would be wave 4. If wave 3 is out in next month then wave 4 would be like what, December? And Mattel said Two-Face would be in 09. Unless MMs are taking a hiatus till 09.

Quote: i dont mean to come off like an ass....thats the problem with typing/reading. (cant tell sometimes) but i will admit,..some people move me the wrong way when they complain, but we all do it, so... :Quote

Hey man it happens we all do complain. And collector hardly ever see eye to eye, some are downright mean. I once saw a guy ask a stock boy to bring him a new case of Star Wars figures out this minute. When the stock guy did the guy took out a knife and started rifling through the case looking for who knows what. But this little boy walked up and saw a Luke fig that had fallen out of the case and said "Hey Skywalker!" The dude gave the kid a little push and said "Get out of here kid, you don't know what the hell you looking for." There is some cutthroat people who share this hobby. So long story short, I don't mean to come off like an ass either. Never meant to piss anyone off on this board. If I did, I'm sorry.

I didn't think Two-Face would be wave 4. If wave 3 is out in next month then wave 4 would be like what, December? And Mattel said Two-Face would be in 09. Unless MMs are taking a hiatus till 09.

Quote: i dont mean to come off like an ass....thats the problem with typing/reading. (cant tell sometimes) but i will admit,..some people move me the wrong way when they complain, but we all do it, so... :Quote

Hey man it happens we all do complain. And collector hardly ever see eye to eye, some are downright mean. I once saw a guy ask a stock boy to bring him a new case of Star Wars figures out this minute. When the stock guy did the guy took out a knife and started rifling through the case looking for who knows what. But this little boy walked up and saw a Luke fig that had fallen out of the case and said "Hey Skywalker!" The dude gave the kid a little push and said "Get out of here kid, you don't know what the hell you looking for." There is some cutthroat people who share this hobby. So long story short, I don't mean to come off like an ass either. Never meant to piss anyone off on this board. If I did, I'm sorry.

that was not funny.(but why am i LMAO) that was crazy. if i see a guy push pooda (my son...i just use his nickname) ill whoop his ass! point blank period! i do not play when it comes to my children.(ill laugh after i get home and tell my girl) those collectors need to be shot!

that was not funny.(but why am i LMAO) that was crazy. if i see a guy push pooda (my son...i just use his nickname) ill whoop his ass! point blank period! i do not play when it comes to my children.(ill laugh after i get home and tell my girl) those collectors need to be shot!

Yeah it pretty messed up. I was like 15 years old at the time. I would have stood up for the kid but the collector was like 6'2, 280 pounds and I was like 5'11 and like 180. I felt a little out classed you know?

Yeah it pretty messed up. I was like 15 years old at the time. I would have stood up for the kid but the collector was like 6'2, 280 pounds and I was like 5'11 and like 180. I felt a little out classed you know?

I saw a similar thing happen back in the late 90's, when the inital PTOF figures were out, This kid was holding onto a C-3PO sat it in the shopping cart and turned to look at something else with his dad. This older guy grabbed it out of their cart and heading toward the front. The kid and his dad returned and the kid started to cry, I told the dad what I had seen and he proceeded to head in the direction of the guy that had just took a figure from a 6 year old. So hopefully the older guy got what he deserved. But that scene alienated me from collecting for several years and has cost me money in the long run, having to pick up stuff I missed during that time. What a lot of us as collectors forget somietimes is these are TOYS. While we think they look cool on display on a shelf, for the most part they are supposed to be played with, hence the reason we will always get plenty of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, and Hulk in every line that comes out. Both companies throw us collectors bones with obscure characters that only a Someone who is really into the characters would know.

It is really sad sometimes. You get some real sad angry people in this hobby. But you also see some funny stuff too. I once saw a guy break down in a Wal-Mart. He started crying, "I'll never find a Aurra Sing, mint on card. I'LL NEVER FIND HER!!" And then you looking at me which is literally crying with laughter at a 40 year old guy crying in a Wal-Mart toy section.

It is really sad sometimes. You get some real sad angry people in this hobby. But you also see some funny stuff too. I once saw a guy break down in a Wal-Mart. He started crying, "I'll never find a Aurra Sing, mint on card. I'LL NEVER FIND HER!!" And then you looking at me which is literally crying with laughter at a 40 year old guy crying in a Wal-Mart toy section.

That is funny, I normally cry because my nearest Walmart never gets ANYTHING that I might want.

That is funny, I normally cry because my nearest Walmart never gets ANYTHING that I might want.

Other than the MMs I completely agree with you

toys r u sucks here! target here usually has dcuc, while walmart was our MM carrier

toys r u sucks here! target here usually has dcuc, while walmart was our MM carrier

TRU never has anything, Wal-Mart is the best shot you got at getting MMs (all 8 in 50 mile radius) and Target still has a Transformer display up, the same one with same figures it had when the movie opened over a year ago. They never have anything.

TRU never has anything, Wal-Mart is the best shot you got at getting MMs (all 8 in 50 mile radius) and Target still has a Transformer display up, the same one with same figures it had when the movie opened over a year ago. They never have anything.

target is only good for DCUC(when they ship) and not much else. they have all the new joes though.....seen 'em yesterday. you'll damn near have a fight at walmart....ive had a guy try to take something outta my cart while it was right next to me.

(i had my head turned looking at some movies)