Dropping The Ball

Nightwing4984

The line is called DC Universe Classics. In most cases, the classic form is the most recognized version of those particular characters. Personally, the anal comic-geek in me would really like to have a modern Red Tornado and Firestorm to make the eventual JLA display "accurate." But I can completely understand why they're focusing on older versions over newer in most cases.

im not saying that they shouldnt make these figs because they should. i just think that you have 2 different era's, and most of us grew up on the classics.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The line is called DC Universe Classics. In most cases, the classic form is the most recognized version of those particular characters. Personally, the anal comic-geek in me would really like to have a modern Red Tornado and Firestorm to make the eventual JLA display "accurate." But I can completely understand why they're focusing on older versions over newer in most cases.

im not saying that they shouldnt make these figs because they should. i just think that you have 2 different era's, and most of us grew up on the classics.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if the line is successful and continues, we might very well get some kind of boxed set that puts many of these variants into our hands. (Heck, a "JLA" Boxed set alone would get us Red Tornado and Jason-Firestorm).

Didn't a guy above say he wanted ethnic superheroes?

they cancelled the Black Firestorm.

and the demand for classics is not higher than modern in some cases.

i forgot to add this to my other post but....more people perfer classic over modern. face it!

I disagree.

the Fwoosh would tend to agree with me, tho we don't agree on much else.

• 2 weeks later...

okay i can mattel has really screwed up in a week yes 1 week i have managed to get all 8 of the hulk legends for fin fang foom. now that is only a shock to me cause i have been building grodd for about 2 months now and HE STILL ISN'T FINISHED. i can't find any dcuc in any store the only figure i ever see is orion nobody else. hasbro is starting to get their legends back on the shelf after about a year without releasing any new legends, and mattel has lobo. i'm disappointed to see this i would've thought mattel might release dcuc 3 at sdcc. hasbro managed to release the 2 packs the hulk legends and have an exclusive for legends. mattel has lobo for their "legends" line and king grayskull if u want to get technical. i have been dying to get grundy and i read they would be released in "1 week to 1 1/2 weeks" this is what they said i think last saturday so if they have a few days still if they want to keep their word. doubt they will be out next week but i can always hope, but hope hasn't done much for me lately.

They pulled the wave 2 for paint quality or something. That's why you haven't seen them. They will be releasing wave 3 in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, not wave 2. Wave 2 will be re-released after that, when I am assuming the paint problem has been corrected. Don't give up hope. You'll get what you're looking for. As for Grodd, he's fun to pose and all, but he sheds like a mother f-er!

They pulled the wave 2 for paint quality or something. That's why you haven't seen them. They will be releasing wave 3 in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, not wave 2. Wave 2 will be re-released after that, when I am assuming the paint problem has been corrected. Don't give up hope. You'll get what you're looking for. As for Grodd, he's fun to pose and all, but he sheds like a mother f-er!

they just went through 2 cases of wave 2 at wal mart. they had problems with their distributer, thats why wave 2 wasnt around. Nightwing, imma tell you this.....they have had the wave 2 set up for sell at several comics sites in the last month or so....gotta order them!...or wait it out buddy.

Anyone in Texas can find plenty of DCUC at their local HEB Plus stores!! Don't know if the regular stores carry em, but mine did and I got all of wave 2 quickly!! But I do have to say this line sells like no other in the store. They regularly replenish the pegs almost every other day when they first came out.

Oh and they somehow managed to get some of the older Superman figures in too, Black Suit, Bizzarro, etc!! So if your in Texas, head on over!!

So, what about Movie Daredevil and Doop make them LEGENDS?

it's just a NAME. It doesn't mean anything, as evidenced by the MODERN Robin, MODERN Harley Quinn, MODERN Aquaman, etc.

it doesn't mean anything save for being a catchy catch-all name.

Correct. I think some ppl take the names of a toyline so seriously. I mean, if names were to be taken in so heavily, then why are characters like reverse flash is made for the animated JL inlimited toylines? As Alvatron said, things like classics and legends are just names that doesn't mean anything It is just used to try to catagorized all the characters in a comicbook world.

l think the line is a mixture of costumes and not more heavily in one era over the other.

I mean, WE have classic bats, but have 1 yrl Robin.

A Palmer version of the atom is being released even though the current Atom is still in the comics.

I might be bias, but I would like the current atom to be made since there are a lack of male asian superheroes (note superheroes and not villians) in american comics, yet alone one that has a female love interest. Also, before anyone tells me to buy anime toys, it is not the same since those are made for the japanese audience and not american audience in mind.

So yeah, I can see why redrum would want the african americans like black manta since I can relate.

Just had to say the above because I remember when I mentioned how there was lack of asian men in AMERICAN movies, some ignorant dumbass on some other forum told me to move to asia. It isn't the same since American culture and asian culture is different and this makes it difficult for some asian americans who are raised mostly with american values to not fit in with people who are raised in mostly asian valves; replace the asian with any other ethnic group like latino or african in my sentence and you get the same thing. I should about the difference in culture regardless of race since I experienced it first hand.

the grodd wave is supposedly going to show up after the grundy wave hits with jason firestorm. the reason for the delay was because mattel switched vendors in china.

l think the line is a mixture of costumes and not more heavily in one era over the other.

A Palmer version of the atom is being released even though the current Atom is still in the comics.

I might be bias, but I would like the current atom to be made since there are a lack of male asian superheroes (note superheroes and not villians) in american comics, yet alone one that has a female love interest. Also, before anyone tells me to buy anime toys, it is not the same since those are made for the japanese audience and not american audience in mind.

So yeah, I can see why redrum would want the african americans like black manta since I can relate.

Just had to say the above because I remember when I mentioned how there was lack of asian men in AMERICAN movies, some ignorant dumbass on some other forum told me to move to asia. It isn't the same since American culture and asian culture is different and this makes it difficult for some asian americans who are raised mostly with american values to not fit in with people who are raised in mostly asian valves; replace the asian with any other ethnic group like latino or african in my sentence and you get the same thing. I should about the difference in culture regardless of race since I experienced it first hand.

its not a matter of race.....just popularity. as an african american, i understand supporting characters of your race, but the classics are the classics.

its not a matter of race.....just popularity. as an african american, i understand supporting characters of your race, but the classics are the classics.

lol. my comment was actually about two things and didn't meant to be related. I meant that I would like to Mattel to make a modern one down the line even though we already getting a Palmer one, who in my opinion, isn't a classic DC superhero since the classic atom is this dude:

Image:Atom_pratt.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_%28comics%29#Al_Pratt

No offense, but some ppl are throwing the word classics around left and right. I mean Palmer might be the more iconic version to our demographics, but he isnt the classic one since Pratt is. I mean if the line is truly towards classics, shouldn't we get golden age versions of our beloved superheroes?

I just don't believe that this toy series is towards classics since if it was, we would get Dick Grayson as Robin in the green speedos or him as Nightwing in the disco outfit rather than a Tim Drake Robin in his latest outfit or a Nightwing costume after the first Crisis.

lol. my comment was actually about two things and didn't meant to be related. I meant that I would like to Mattel to make a modern one down the line even though we already getting a Palmer one, who in my opinion, isn't a classic DC superhero since the classic atom is this dude:

Image:Atom_pratt.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_%28comics%29#Al_Pratt

No offense, but some ppl are throwing the word classics around left and right. I mean Palmer might be the more iconic version to our demographics, but he isnt the classic one since Pratt is. I mean if the line is truly towards classics, shouldn't we get golden age versions of our beloved superheroes?

I just don't believe that this toy series is towards classics since if it was, we would get Dick Grayson as Robin in the green speedos or him as Nightwing in the disco outfit rather than a Tim Drake Robin in his latest outfit or a Nightwing costume after the first Crisis.

ohhh....i see. thats true..some are throwing the word around a bit. but like someone(maybe you) said, its like marvel using "legends"

I think Mattel has really dropped the ball. There distributor is atrocious, with the amount of money they pay for DC's properties you would think they would want to make as much money as possible. But it seems like they have lines coming to some stores and not to others or ones popping up in stores they had never been in before. The Dark Knight lines is still insane. It seemed like they were actually trying to make up for the problems with the Batman Begins line. They made collectors version figures sculpted by the Four Horsemen and made great looking figures. And then you can't find them and no one knows when or if they are coming out or where they are coming from. There is still $70 dollar Joker figures selling online. Unless some backroom dealing is going on, they would never make money off ebay auctions or secondary sites that are selling a new suit Batman for $30 or a Bale Batman (Bale-man? BatBale?) for $100. It doesn't make a bit of sense why some of there products never seem to materialize right or why no one has any actual answers.

I think Mattel has really dropped the ball. There distributor is atrocious, with the amount of money they pay for DC's properties you would think they would want to make as much money as possible. But it seems like they have lines coming to some stores and not to others or ones popping up in stores they had never been in before. The Dark Knight lines is still insane. It seemed like they were actually trying to make up for the problems with the Batman Begins line. They made collectors version figures sculpted by the Four Horsemen and made great looking figures. And then you can't find them and no one knows when or if they are coming out or where they are coming from. There is still $70 dollar Joker figures selling online. Unless some backroom dealing is going on, they would never make money off ebay auctions or secondary sites that are selling a new suit Batman for $30 or a Bale Batman (Bale-man? BatBale?) for $100. It doesn't make a bit of sense why some of there products never seem to materialize right or why no one has any actual answers.

its not mattel's fault that many of the people didnt go out on may 1st and get them. i know that every store here gotatleast 8 cases around may, and another 3-4 on the second run. then wave 2 appeared with 5 cases....how many cases are they going to send? i dont know why you think think that selling out is loosing money? thats what happens when something is popular

Selling out isn't losing money but the demand is much higher than the supply (look at amazon which is selling them at way over retail) and then look at most stores. My thinking is that with the demand as high as it still is Mattel would want to capitalize on it. Because there is a lot of money being made out there on the secondary market compared to the standard retail. They aren't losing money per se but they aren't making as much as they could, I guess what I'm trying to say is why not try to make supply and demand meet a little more. And it is true that Mattel is not listening to its customers. If they were Two-Face would be wave 3 not sometime in 2009.

Selling out isn't losing money but the demand is much higher than the supply (look at amazon which is selling them at way over retail) and then look at most stores. My thinking is that with the demand as high as it still is Mattel would want to capitalize on it. Because there is a lot of money being made out there on the secondary market compared to the standard retail. They aren't losing money per se but they aren't making as much as they could, I guess what I'm trying to say is why not try to make supply and demand meet a little more. And it is true that Mattel is not listening to its customers. If they were Two-Face would be wave 3 not sometime in 2009.

mattel isnt worried about it. remember....theyre collectors figs. they can come out 2 months from now and they will still sell. plus, its only been like 2 weeks since the movie....they got time.

Mattel and Hasbro don't concern themselves with the secondary market because that is not their business. They produce what is ordered based on initial preorders from retailers. If you want to get angry at paying a crazy price for a figure, blame yourself or whoever is paying a crazy prices for these figures. If you keep your eyes open and just look around you will find what you are looking for.

Mattel and Hasbro don't concern themselves with the secondary market because that is not their business. They produce what is ordered based on initial preorders from retailers. If you want to get angry at paying a crazy price for a figure, blame yourself or whoever is paying a crazy prices for these figures. If you keep your eyes open and just look around you will find what you are looking for.

i agree.

i agree.

My point is though (and maybe this is just me) that we should not have to wait for new shipments of Dark Knight figures or anything DC related for that matter after the movie. They should have been part of the buildup in say the two weeks before the movie. That's the way most companies do it. They have a big push right around the time of the movie. You know that point right before a movie comes out where everything is related to the subject of that movie? Where you can't walk into a Wal-Mart or Target without seeing like Spiderman pillows, Spidey Cereal, Spiderman movie action figures, Spiderman everything...where you start getting sick of that subject?

But maybe I don't have all the facts, like was the 5+ figures made in the same quantities as the MMs? Because there are still plenty of those, if they were I'm sorry I made a mountain out of a mole hill.

i agree.

My point is though (and maybe this is just me) that we should not have to wait for new shipments of Dark Knight figures or anything DC related for that matter after the movie. They should have been part of the buildup in say the two weeks before the movie. That's the way most companies do it. They have a big push right around the time of the movie. You know that point right before a movie comes out where everything is related to the subject of that movie? Where you can't walk into a Wal-Mart or Target without seeing like Spiderman pillows, Spidey Cereal, Spiderman movie action figures, Spiderman everything...where you start getting sick of that subject?

But maybe I don't have all the facts, like was the 5+ figures made in the same quantities as the MMs? Because there are still plenty of those, if they were I'm sorry I made a mountain out of a mole hill.

no. the 5" figs were massly shipped due to the kiddies. mattel didnt think that some guy would come in and buy 13 jokers, 10 batmen, 5 goons, and any chases that they could find. its not mattel's fault, they shipped several cases of MMs and 2-packs are now in stores. theyre doing their part.

Has anyone considered that Mattel might be putting the Jason Rusch and Modern Tornado in those 2-pack rereleases eventually? Like the Batgirl/Azrael, Lightray/Orion, and Cyborg Supes/Mongul?

It's basically a repack with a new head or paint app. Easy for them to produce and still generate interest from collectors without having them whine about making us buy the "same figure" over again. Just an idea.

i agree.

no. the 5" figs were massly shipped due to the kiddies. mattel didnt think that some guy would come in and buy 13 jokers, 10 batmen, 5 goons, and any chases that they could find. its not mattel's fault, they shipped several cases of MMs and 2-packs are now in stores. theyre doing their part.

false, mattel is NOT doing there part. Scalpers are not new, they were aware of the hype around the film especially in relation to the late Heath Ledger tragic death. they should have put out a ton of the movie master figs and NONE of the 5" figures. the 5" figures are targeted at children and this is NOT a children's film. i had to listen to crying 4 year olds in the theater because all the dark knight merchandise was marketed toward children. IF ITS NOT A KIDS MOVIE, DO NOT MAKE KIDS TOYS! the ONLY figures associated with dark knight should have been for collectors (the movie masters). we should be up to our knees in gordons, alfreds, facones, foxes, harvey dents, and nurse jokers.

mattel tricking parents into believing that this is a kids movie at the cost of screwing over the long time adult collectors is NOT DOING THEIR PART AT ALL. its pathetic.