Customizing help need

jasonwelcome

Hello

I have been trying to figure out what kind of paint to use to customize a couple of figures.

I want to paint BAZOOKA's shirt just a standard oliver or brown color to fit more of the military look. But I don't want to use acrylic paint because if I play with or pose the figure to much it will chip and scrap off...is what kind of paint do they use on the figures at the factories they are made in? they seem pretty tuff...anyway any help would be great thanks!

Some acrylics work just fine. I mainly use Testors acrylics and all my customs are still poseable without losing paint in those areas. Something that helps I think is that I thin out my Testors with a bit of rubbing alcohol instead of regular paint thinner or acetone (learned this by accident because I was going the cheap route to clean my brushes). Usually, I'll shake up the bottle to make sure the paint's mixed well, then dab my brush in the alcohol and mix it through with whatever paint is in the bottle's cap (another 'clean' method I use). I'll put on one coat, let it dry, then work the joint to see if it holds right, then add another coat or 2 to make sure I get the color as solid as I want.

If you're going with enamels, just make sure you have actual thinner/acetone for your brushes. Alcohol works for latex and some acrylics, but not with enamels. That's in my experience, though.

Hope this helps some.

i use acrylics and if you use testors dull coat to seal it you shouldn't have a problem. with customizing you always run it to chipping if you paint something but the dull coat cuts down on it alot. you should also sand the joints down a little that will help.

If you use enamels, be sure to let it dry for a couple days before adding a second coat. This will make it more durable. Bear in mind, some enamels do not work well with some plastics (will always remain tacky). Your best bet is to use acrylic paints and the tips that Mr Nobody and xhairs gave. Good luck! Post some pictures when you're done!

Thanks a lot guys I will try this and let you now who it came out.