Sideswipe Classics / Universe

freakx2001

Hey,

Not sure if this has been talked about before, as I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, but whats up with the Sideswipe mold for Universe / Classics 2.0??

I believe when classics 2.0 was first shown we were shown two separate molds for Sunstreaker and Sideswipe, like the one below. They were suppose to look similar but different at the same time, with a different chest piece, and I would assume a different head.

http://flickr.com/photos/13615910@N04/2498009702/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/despotes/2446172903/

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...mp;picture=aux1

However after seeing a recent early sideswipe auction on ebay and now on Hasbros site... sideswipe now appears to just be the same mold as sunstreaker just painted red (see below), how disappointing...

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/t...swipe-Robot.jpg

So what happened? I know its more cost affective for Hasbro, but this certainly sucks as a fan.

It was always the same mold with a different transformation.

With Sideswipe the torso is simply turned around making the front end of the car his chest rather than the roof and windshield that makes Sunstreakers.

You can do that transformation with Sunstreaker, but it won't look as good cuz the plastic part where the windshield plugs to the front end is unpainted and rough looking. Sideswipes is painted so that it hides it a bit better.

With Sideswipe the torso is simply turned around making the front end of the car his chest rather than the roof and windshield that makes Sunstreakers.

You can do that transformation with Sunstreaker, but it won't look as good cuz the plastic part where the windshield plugs to the front end is unpainted and rough looking. Sideswipes is painted so that it hides it a bit better.

Ok, can you explain the head mold then? its different it all of the first batch of pictures, now its just sunstreakers head without the color.

All I know is that original I had plans to buy both, now I'm just gonna pick up one of them, don't need 2 of the same, just in a different color.

Ok, can you explain the head mold then? its different it all of the first batch of pictures, now its just sunstreakers head without the color.

All I know is that original I had plans to buy both, now I'm just gonna pick up one of them, don't need 2 of the same, just in a different color.

Yes the head will be remolded as well. There are lots of prototypes out there I'm guessing with the Sunstreaker head but the remolded head was confirmed and I'm not sure if they had pics of it at botcon, or if they actually did have one with the new head on the last day.

I think there's major cool potential here for a Punch/Counterpunch repaint. But to do that it would have to have 2 faces like the original, so it would need to be slightly remolded again and we know it's usually asking a lot from Hasbro to just do it once.

That gives me the aching feeling that we may see that one for next years botcon set. Please don't club me! I just got that bad, BAD feeling about it!

yes, sideswipe is just a repaint of sunstreaker with a new head, saw a pic of the final product at LamerCon...the moment i picked up sunstreaker i knew thats what they would be doing, they will have to get rid of that engine part unless they do something different with it!! even the arms come off easy so you can switch them around!!

I am happy that they even bother giving us a new head... If this was like a five years ago all we would have gotten is a straight repaint...

No doubt. I think these two are pretty slick. They were favorites for me and my brother (obvious reasons) back in the day. I just emailed him the photo and now he's as excited about their release as I am!

... I still get Sideswipe.

yes, sideswipe is just a repaint of sunstreaker with a new head,

The hood should be different as well, not ruffled like potato chip. ;P

I think there's major cool potential here for a Punch/Counterpunch repaint. But to do that it would have to have 2 faces like the original, so it would need to be slightly remolded again and we know it's usually asking a lot from Hasbro to just do it once.

Not before Red Alert I hope..

whats col about sideswipe is he gets a different transformation, a new head, and the gun he comes with can mount on his shoulder and double as a rocket lancher, PLUS the big engine intake mounts on the back upside down and doubles as his jet pack.

whats col about sideswipe is he gets a different transformation, a new head, and the gun he comes with can mount on his shoulder and double as a rocket lancher, PLUS the big engine intake mounts on the back upside down and doubles as his jet pack.

Hopefully your right, as I'm not buying him if he is just like the photo posted on Hasbro site..

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/t...swipe-Robot.jpg

i told you guys...he is a simple repaint, he doesn't have a different transformation, but he does get a different head, thats aboot all, besides the paint job!! that last image there has got to be a photoshop, but yeah, thats what he will look like!!

i told you guys...he is a simple repaint, he doesn't have a different transformation, but he does get a different head, thats aboot all, besides the paint job!! that last image there has got to be a photoshop, but yeah, thats what he will look like!!

Having the hood for his chest does change the tranformation enough for some to state that he has a different transformation...

Tformers.com has a .pdf of Sideswipe's instruction sheet. It's a little confusing because it appears that they cheaped out and used Sunstreaker's instructions and just put a new header on the sheet. But the photo on the top clearly shows a new head

i repeat

he gets a different transformation (same mold, just transformed different) a new head, and the gun he comes with can mount on his shoulder and double as a rocket lancher, PLUS the big engine intake mounts on the back upside down and doubles as his jet pack.

006__scaled_600.jpg