DCUC vs. Marvel Legends

pooda

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when Toybiz still had the license for MLs I liked MLs better. But ever since Hasbro took control over the license the articulation, detail, and what not has declined. I think Hasbro is slowly learning from their mistakes and improving MLs so they don't make pure crap figures like Banshee and Emma. But I don't think anything can top Toybiz.

I recently just started collecting DCUC actually, and I must say that the figures are simply amazing. Sure, they don't have 30-40 POA but the detail is incredible. I really feel that Mattel has a better knowledge of their DC characters more than Hasbro has over their Marvel characters.

Hasbro has had a huge drought over 2008. No new product has surfaced until now (Hulk Legends) and the year is already half over. I think Hasbro leans on the movies too much. In a recent Q&A on MarvelousNews they said that the lack of ML product on the shelf was due to movie figures such as Iron Man and Hulk and the "new" Spider-Man figures. All of which are repackaged figures from older Spider-Man lines. Then they also said that it took longer to move through '07 inventory which means sales were poor.

So as of now, even though my DCUC collection is small, I like them better at the moment.

Well, when Toybiz still had the license for MLs I liked MLs better. But ever since Hasbro took control over the license the articulation, detail, and what not has declined. I think Hasbro is slowly learning from their mistakes and improving MLs so they don't make pure crap figures like Banshee and Emma. But I don't think anything can top Toybiz.

I recently just started collecting DCUC actually, and I must say that the figures are simply amazing. Sure, they don't have 30-40 POA but the detail is incredible. I really feel that Mattel has a better knowledge of their DC characters more than Hasbro has over their Marvel characters.

Hasbro has had a huge drought over 2008. No new product has surfaced until now (Hulk Legends) and the year is already half over. I think Hasbro leans on the movies too much. In a recent Q&A on MarvelousNews they said that the lack of ML product on the shelf was due to movie figures such as Iron Man and Hulk and the "new" Spider-Man figures. All of which are repackaged figures from older Spider-Man lines. Then they also said that it took longer to move through '07 inventory which means sales were poor.

So as of now, even though my DCUC collection is small, I like them better at the moment.

i agree with alot of what youve said. i too thought that no one could beat toy biz! but i hate ball joints...they have purpose, great purpose...but i hate them. im going with DC

Some of the Marvel Legends figures are pretty sweet, but I hate how gangly most of them look (mainly because of the ball joints on the legs). Some parts are so realistic (like the first ML Wolverine or Deadpool), but overall I think the massive amounts of articulation severely detract from the overall appearance.

I also don't like the facial sculpts on ML figures. I was pumped for Age of Apocalypse Wolverine and Sabretooth figures, but they looked nothing like what the Kuberts drew when AOA was on comic shelves originally. It reminded me of the old X-Men action figures by Toybiz; a different person sculpted each figure, so sometimes the sculpts were good, and other times they looked pretty bad.

With DCUC, every figure looks like its best comic book appearance. The Horsemen really seemed to understand that action figures of superheroes need to be larger than life and a little fake by real proportions, and the end product is something I never realized we could see the likes of in action figures.

DCUC gets a 9 from me (on a scale of 1-10), and Marvel Legends gets a 6.5 or so.

no question DC all the way, it was a better line then Toybiz ML back when it was just stuck in Batman/Superman mode, and now that it's getting variaity it's just an unfair contest. don't get me wrong there are lots of amazing legends, but over all it's just nowhere near as nice a line to me

It really is too soon to REALLY tell. Each series has its pros and cons. Marvel Legends has had some terrific figures, especially the BAF's. DCUC has had some amazing figures to date as well. I think ML would be a better line were it not for the over articulation, the ball joints make the figure look gangley while DCUC has a realistic porportions that work better visually. Here is a breakdown:

Head Sculpt - equal, no one company is better

Body sculpt - DCUC, ball joints are just silly to some extent

BAF - ML, nothing DCUC has done or that are in the plans equal the Sentinel or Galactus

Paint - equal, Toy biz used a more realistic paint on their figures but Hasbro knocks

them down 100 fold with cheap looking paints

Accessories - ML, DCUC is coming up while ML is coming down but the title goes to ML

Character selection - Even with Superman and Batman heading the lead, they still

It really is too soon to REALLY tell. Each series has its pros and cons. Marvel Legends has had some terrific figures, especially the BAF's. DCUC has had some amazing figures to date as well. I think ML would be a better line were it not for the over articulation, the ball joints make the figure look gangley while DCUC has a realistic porportions that work better visually. Here is a breakdown:

BAF - ML, nothing DCUC has done or that are in the plans equal the Sentinel or Galactus

Paint - equal, Toy biz used a more realistic paint on their figures but Hasbro knocks

Accessories - ML, DCUC is coming up while ML is coming down but the title goes to ML

Character selection - Even with Superman and Batman heading the lead, they still

manage

manage to

manage to make

I like both but prefer MLs...

Its all in the crotch...

Its all in the crotch...

thats what she said!

I like both but prefer MLs...

Its all in the crotch...

Do you prefer MLs because of the crotch?

As I said, that's one of my biggest complaints with MLs.

Your legs come down from your torso, and that's how DCUC figures look. With MLs, the legs sprout diagonally out from the crotch, and it's awkward-looking to me.

There's probably a wider range of movement on Legends figures in that area, though.

ToyBiz MLs win over DCUC, but the Hasblow Legends fail completely compared to dcuc.

Toybiz wins for a lot of reasons. Mostly due to great articulation.. DCUC is improving, and might eventually take the cake, but right now ToyBiz Legends are the winners.

first off, let me say I love Marvel Legends. Or I should say I love the Toybiz Marvel Legends. And I HATE the Hasbro Marvel Legends.

For the most part, I feel that Marvel Legends are generally the best action figures every made. However, they are not the best action figure LINE ever made. That goes to GiJoe because of their accessories, vehicles, and playsets, HANDS DOWN. There is nothing better than a good RAH figure with all his specialized gear on.

Anyhow. I love Marvel Legends and I love everything about them. However, sometimes what makes Marvel Legends great also makes them suck. When the articulation is poorly executed on a certain figure, it really ruins the sculpt. Ball shoulders or tiny crotch pieces with balls sticking out, etc... those things ruin some figures if they aren't done well. So I get what DCUC fans are saying.

As for the DCUC figures, they are kinda bland to me, and all look too much alike. I don't like the body sculpts very much at all. The torsos look strange to me, very SuperPowers-esque. They look almost cheesy. They are too broad and flat, and I don't think the horsemen are doing the musculature very well. The other problem with the sculpting is the quads on the legs. They also look very weird how all the figures have irregularely proportioned muscles there too. As for the articulation, nothing tops the ML double knees and elbows. And I hate the DCUC crotch design. It looks fine if your figure is standing straight up, but once you begin to spread the legs out, it looks so weird with that giant gap.

As for characters, I think ML kills DCUC in terms of their characters. DCUC will get there eventually, but it seems they are getting there pretty slowly.

I love both Marvel and DC characters, in fact I grew up on DC stuff a ton more than Marvel. Yet, I have doubles or more of every ML figure, I hunted them like crazy. However, I find myself pretty nonchalant with DCUC stuff. I have already passed on more than half of them in just the first two waves. And I won't be getting doubles of any of them because the packaging is so ugly.

I give the Toybiz ML line a 9. Hasbro ML a 2. And DCUC a 6. But I have high hopes for the DCUC line in the future, while ML is dead! @lol@

DCSH/DCUC. First and foremost I'm a DC guy...so better characters. And for me the DC have the perfect amount of articulation. I don't need my figures to have double elbows & knees or finnger/toe articulation. I feel that's too many fragile small parts so they feel frail to me.

DCSH/DCUC. First and foremost I'm a DC guy...so better characters. And for me the DC have the perfect amount of articulation. I don't need my figures to have double elbows & knees or finnger/toe articulation. I feel that's too many fragile small parts so they feel frail to me.

i agree! i dont like that ml's have extra lenth in the ankles( AXM WOLVY OR B.ZEMO) or the serious paint flaking on the joints( soon as u get it out of the package???) plus they put them together weird( most cant stand or have limbs that are too long( ult cap, modern ironman). dc's weakness to me WAS the way the legs couldnt come together(dcsh mostly) but with the new DCUC figs.....problem solved! i like both, but DCUC looks and feels right outta the comic. marvel HAD a better looking paint and detail scheme, but now,....i dont know

DCUC.

ML's look like the legs are just kinda tacked on.

it also looks like their nuts are slipping out of their underwear. Except for the first Captain America, his hips are fine.

Cap knows where his nuts belong.

They belong to the United States Government.

don't get me wrong, a lot of the high profile Marvel Characters rock (That first Cap, the Face Off Hulk, etc.) Can't get better than that.

seriously, I don't think there'll ever be a better Hulk than the Face off one. EVER.

DCUC.

ML's look like the legs are just kinda tacked on.

it also looks like their nuts are slipping out of their underwear. Except for the first Captain America, his hips are fine.

Cap knows where his nuts belong.

They belong to the United States Government.

don't get me wrong, a lot of the high profile Marvel Characters rock (That first Cap, the Face Off Hulk, etc.) Can't get better than that.

seriously, I don't think there'll ever be a better Hulk than the Face off one. EVER.

i dont know....

DMC10819.jpg

i like this hulk

first off, let me say I love Marvel Legends. Or I should say I love the Toybiz Marvel Legends. And I HATE the Hasbro Marvel Legends.

For the most part, I feel that Marvel Legends are generally the best action figures every made. However, they are not the best action figure LINE ever made. That goes to GiJoe because of their accessories, vehicles, and playsets, HANDS DOWN. There is nothing better than a good RAH figure with all his specialized gear on.

Anyhow. I love Marvel Legends and I love everything about them. However, sometimes what makes Marvel Legends great also makes them suck. When the articulation is poorly executed on a certain figure, it really ruins the sculpt. Ball shoulders or tiny crotch pieces with balls sticking out, etc... those things ruin some figures if they aren't done well. So I get what DCUC fans are saying.

As for the DCUC figures, they are kinda bland to me, and all look too much alike. I don't like the body sculpts very much at all. The torsos look strange to me, very SuperPowers-esque. They look almost cheesy. They are too broad and flat, and I don't think the horsemen are doing the musculature very well. The other problem with the sculpting is the quads on the legs. They also look very weird how all the figures have irregularely proportioned muscles there too. As for the articulation, nothing tops the ML double knees and elbows. And I hate the DCUC crotch design. It looks fine if your figure is standing straight up, but once you begin to spread the legs out, it looks so weird with that giant gap.

As for characters, I think ML kills DCUC in terms of their characters. DCUC will get there eventually, but it seems they are getting there pretty slowly.

I love both Marvel and DC characters, in fact I grew up on DC stuff a ton more than Marvel. Yet, I have doubles or more of every ML figure, I hunted them like crazy. However, I find myself pretty nonchalant with DCUC stuff. I have already passed on more than half of them in just the first two waves. And I won't be getting doubles of any of them because the packaging is so ugly.

I give the Toybiz ML line a 9. Hasbro ML a 2. And DCUC a 6. But I have high hopes for the DCUC line in the future, while ML is dead! @lol@

I stick by what I've already said, and I'm definitely a DCUC guy (though I've always liked Marvel characters the most outside of Batman and Superman), but I can't really argue with any of your points one way or the other.

I love legends and I'm starting to get into DCUC figs. I personally really like the new DC figs, but it seems like they need more variety in the body mold. I feel like Bats, Supes, Aquaman, Black Manta all have the same body just different color, and the crotch and lack of double elbow knee joints bothers me, but I like head sculpts and the paint is pretty good. Althoug my Aquaman and Superman is a little sloppy. I'm going to buy them both, but I'm sticking with only the major lineup for DC and bat villains

Side note since faceoff hulk was brought up remember how dominant he is, and how he came with the leader and a comic for 15 and now that is the price for 1 hulk legend. O how I miss toybiz, and cheap oil

I love legends and I'm starting to get into DCUC figs. I personally really like the new DC figs, but it seems like they need more variety in the body mold. I feel like Bats, Supes, Aquaman, Black Manta all have the same body just different color, and the crotch and lack of double elbow knee joints bothers me, but I like head sculpts and the paint is pretty good. Althoug my Aquaman and Superman is a little sloppy. I'm going to buy them both, but I'm sticking with only the major lineup for DC and bat villains

Side note since faceoff hulk was brought up remember how dominant he is, and how he came with the leader and a comic for 15 and now that is the price for 1 hulk legend. O how I miss toybiz, and cheap oil

im going to let you in on a secret....if you get all the DC figs you named together and look at them, youll see that the bodies arent the same. they are close..but not the same.