Need Advice

HossT

Okay, so I am in Southern California, and I am surrounded by three Wal-marts, two Targets and one Toys R Us, all with in 15 mintues of eachother give or take. I haven't done a toy run in years, though when I'm in the neighborhood I try to stop by and see if I can find anything good. I have noticed with in the last year or so, or however long the 25th line has been running that there is someone or a team of someones who is buying the figs, then returning them with crappy valor v. venom stuff or DTC joes. Sometimes, they just take the accessories, like Cobra Commander's crystal thingie, or Roadblocks gun. Sometimes he takes the time to try to glue the bubble back on the card, but sometimes it just taped shut...poorly. I see it more at the Wal-marts, but I have seen his handy work pretty much everywhere. Just lately, I found some the the Transformers Animated series replaced with older figures or a Voyager Prime switched out for a Delux. It's very frustrating for me as a collector, but more importantly, it would suck to be a kid and buying what you think is a cool toy and getting it home and finding out you bought a steaming pile of crap.

My question to you, my fellow collectors, is what should I do? I have tried to talk to the workers but they uslually brush me off of look at me like I'm speaking a different language, though sometimes I am. I also think that it has to be someone who works there since they seem to have no problem returning this obviously opened merchandise. I've tried calling the wal-mart and talking to a manager but they had me on hold for a good ten minutes. Any good ideas, or do I wait for Karma to melt this sleezy SOB's collection into a pile of goo. Does anyone else have this happening in your area? And if you are in my area, maybe we can hunt this guy down and split his collection...which must be HUGE judging by the size he has stolen AND the amount he has to trade out.

Okay, so I am in Southern California, and I am surrounded by three Wal-marts, two Targets and one Toys R Us, all with in 15 mintues of eachother give or take. I haven't done a toy run in years, though when I'm in the neighborhood I try to stop by and see if I can find anything good. I have noticed with in the last year or so, or however long the 25th line has been running that there is someone or a team of someones who is buying the figs, then returning them with crappy valor v. venom stuff or DTC joes. Sometimes, they just take the accessories, like Cobra Commander's crystal thingie, or Roadblocks gun. Sometimes he takes the time to try to glue the bubble back on the card, but sometimes it just taped shut...poorly. I see it more at the Wal-marts, but I have seen his handy work pretty much everywhere. Just lately, I found some the the Transformers Animated series replaced with older figures or a Voyager Prime switched out for a Delux. It's very frustrating for me as a collector, but more importantly, it would suck to be a kid and buying what you think is a cool toy and getting it home and finding out you bought a steaming pile of crap.

My question to you, my fellow collectors, is what should I do? I have tried to talk to the workers but they uslually brush me off of look at me like I'm speaking a different language, though sometimes I am. I also think that it has to be someone who works there since they seem to have no problem returning this obviously opened merchandise. I've tried calling the wal-mart and talking to a manager but they had me on hold for a good ten minutes. Any good ideas, or do I wait for Karma to melt this sleezy SOB's collection into a pile of goo. Does anyone else have this happening in your area? And if you are in my area, maybe we can hunt this guy down and split his collection...which must be HUGE judging by the size he has stolen AND the amount he has to trade out.

If you happen to live in Valencia or around that area, I too have seen the same nonscence and have tried to bring this issue up with management just to find the pack back on the shelf the next morning. The one that that I can sugguest is, beat the team or person to the punch. I was able to get a few CG's and other troops builders briefly when I was going daily and early too, but then I had some appointments and then got all screwed up and have not been able to time it the way that I used to. But, this goes for anywhere that you go, you have to beat them to get the stuff first. I know that it sux to see so much replaced, but not much more we can do about it. Hope this helps a little.

man, it happens all over. and there isn't much you can do about it.

I see figures swapped all over the places, all the major toylines, all the stores, doesn't matter.

I have told a few employees about this figure swapping practice, but it doesn't matter. The only thing that could stop this is for a computer database or some kind of catalogue that the employee could use to look through when the "customer" tried to return the item. That way they could check to see if everything was legit.

I was kinda frienly with this guy who was stealing the redemption stickers from the StarWars figures for that George Lucas stormtrooper a few years ago. I told the manager at TRU about it because that seemed to be the only place that would have any ability to stop it. I confronted him about it, tried to fight him as a matter of fact, but he ran to his car (dude is a prison guard, you would think he were tougher), and I haven't seen him since. I just deleted him from my phone.... seems like thats all I could do.

If you happen to live in Valencia or around that area, I too have seen the same nonscence and have tried to bring this issue up with management just to find the pack back on the shelf the next morning. The one that that I can sugguest is, beat the team or person to the punch. I was able to get a few CG's and other troops builders briefly when I was going daily and early too, but then I had some appointments and then got all screwed up and have not been able to time it the way that I used to. But, this goes for anywhere that you go, you have to beat them to get the stuff first. I know that it sux to see so much replaced, but not much more we can do about it. Hope this helps a little.

I am in the Valencia area!! We should start a posse!

Hang out in Wal*Mart untll you finally see someone returning G.I. Joes with figures swapped out. Then follow the person home in your car. Return later when they are not home, break into their place and take their entire collection. Leave a note that says "Karma's A #$#@#".

The honest answer is that you cannot do a thing about it, and major retailers will not do a thing about it.

The reason is that the loss there is so small, its just written off, and trying to guard against it or police it takes up so much manpower, time and resources that even attempting it is not worth the expense.

When you present the swapped item to the staff, you are showing one $7 item amongst THOUSANDS of other items cost upwards of thousands of dollars.......and you honestly expect them to keep track of the thing you are showing them? If the item looks like it can be resold, even at a discount, they will sell it and try to recoup their costs. Remember...........caveat emptor ( the guiding principle in all commerce law) means " let the BUYER beware". If someone does not realize that the stuff has been swapped, its their fault.

The ONLY way to even possibly stop it is to have someone who knows the hobby get a job in the return department of an individual store and catch a person in the act of returning the product in the course of their job duties.

Even then, you will not be able to prosecute because the person can simply claim they are returning the goods on behalf of another person.

What if you guys rip the cards up? Just at least tear off the top so that they can't be hung on the pegs. If they can't be hung maybe they won't be put back out. Just don't get caught doing it. It won't stop whoever is doing it but it could stop the store from keeping the crap on the pegs.

I am in the Valencia area!! We should start a posse!

Sounds good to me, PM me ;) we'll get it started

What if you guys rip the cards up? Just at least tear off the top so that they can't be hung on the pegs. If they can't be hung maybe they won't be put back out. Just don't get caught doing it. It won't stop whoever is doing it but it could stop the store from keeping the crap on the pegs.

A few problems with that.......one being that stores have cameras everywhere these days, two being that if they area is not covered by cameras, its got staff or conscientious customers with eyeballs on or at least around.

Plus its vandalism and these days its just not worth it to get caught for something petty like that.

The stores can easily get plastic adhesive peg hangers to attach to the cards and make them suitable for hanging again, so even ripping the cards is only a delay, not a solution.

The thing here is that you and I are not going to be affected by swap-outs as much because we know the product....the lay-person out there is the sucker that'll get caught...........but honestly, that's not my ( or your) problem.

I do not buy with altruisms in mind.......when I walk into a store, I'm purely selfish. I'm buying for me, and not trying to safeguard the goods for someone else. Sure, its sucks if that kid is not going to get the Snake-eyes figure he'd LIKE, but the world isn't going to end because he's denied either.

Sure, that's probably callous........but I'm not going to waste my life energy fretting about things I cannot control or change.

I confronted him about it, tried to fight him as a matter of fact...

I'd love to see the police report on that one. @lol@

"Man assaults other man over Star Wars stickers." @loll@

ROTF, That would be a great front page article!!

Thankfully I haven;t seen anything like that around here. Yet.

That may have something to do with the fact that clerks in Canada appear to be more vigilant. At least the ones around here. If you don't have a receipt around here, you're SOL even if the price tag and sticker are from the same store, same if you exceed the return period. And if it looks like the package has been tampered with in the least, heaven help you.

I once tried to return a two-pack that was straight off the shelf that I bought for a fellow fan who already had one. The store refused the return because there was a scratch on the back card near the tape and they thought it had been opened, despite the fact that the figures and comic were still inside, and the bottom and top were still factory glued. Go figure.

@can@

What if you printed on a label some thing like : "WARNING. ITEM HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH DIFFERENT PRODUCT. BUYER BEWARE". Maybe put some skulls and bones on it to drive home the point.

You could print these on envelope labels. This way the store can still sell them if they want, but people aren't getting ripped off.

What if you printed on a label some thing like : "WARNING. ITEM HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH DIFFERENT PRODUCT. BUYER BEWARE". Maybe put some skulls and bones on it to drive home the point.

You could print these on envelope labels. This way the store can still sell them if they want, but people aren't getting ripped off.

Applying stickers yourself is still considered defacing the merchandise, and thus is considered vandalism.

If the merchandise at least APPEARS to be complete, then the store probably considers it fit to sell. Again, the main problem is that any established system put into place to keep track of the contents of TENS OF THOUSANDS of different kinds of products would be enormously expensive and would require far more manpower to maintain than it is worth. The the best that can hoped for is a savvy employee handling returns--in this case, someone who knows toys. Trouble is, that's one specific category out of, again,tens of thousands.

Its easier and less expensive for the store to try to resell it, or just throw it away and take the loss as a write off.

The other thing: Toy departments are usually loss-leaders anyways. Ever notice that most department stores get rid of their toy departments first.......and the toy departments are, typically, the some of the smallest parts of a store? The traditional reason for having a toy department is just to bring in families to shop in the store, and to get the parents to by the kids something. Toys are considered to be casual purchases for about 10 months out of the year, for most consumers so, so retailers don't really put much attention into them. Clothing and food items tend to get more attention because they are considered essentials--so that is where a lot of the focus lies, and that is why those kinds of sections ( and selections) tend to be larger.

Plus the toy aisle is the one section of the store where kids are going to run amok in--simply because that is what kids do.

If the toy aisle is ransacked, the pegs only half stocked.........most managers probably could care less, simply because they EXPECT the toy department to be like that.

That is likely why they just do not care if a item comes back swapped.

Like I said, there is nothing you and I can do about this.

well, like I said, I knew him and thought we were friends... so it was an argument that quickly escalated

Hang out in Wal*Mart untll you finally see someone returning G.I. Joes with figures swapped out. Then follow the person home in your car. Return later when they are not home, break into their place and take their entire collection. Leave a note that says "Karma's A #$#@#".

That is the funniest thing I have heard in awhile. I think you might have just created the next great superhero.