It's Official

revsears

Check out Wizard for the latest news. Looks like Hama is the writer and it's a total reboot. :( Hama talking about doing it his way was exciting at first in till he mentioned HEAVY DUTY! is definitely in. Geeze hasbro could you please quite? and somehow that tells me that Hasbro still has a say.

Considering that they liked what IDW did with Transformers, they're probably very willing to give him a chance to do "his way" aslong as he uses that specific core cast.

IDW will be doing a seperate movie-comic-line as well, so Hama's book won't be impacted much by this.

I personally dislike the Marvel run and enjoyed the DDP run. :)

-Kevin

How can you even be a REAL Joe fan and dislike the marvel run but like DD?

You know, I get sick of people saying what a "REAL" fan of something or other is. Whether it on the boards here, or StarWars.com, or elsewhere these criticisms abound, and have no foundation. Most people who bandy them about feel that a "real fan" believes and likes exactly what they do, and any deviation from this ideal makes them a ... umm... "fake fan" I guess.

But in terms of G.I. Joe, it doesn't matter whether you liked marvel of DDP better, or when you started collecting, or if you actually liked Sigma Six, or if you think Duke should have wound up with Scarlett rather than SE (blasphemy I know).

If and when you have children would you be proud to pass down your love for and knowledge of G.I. Joe for the next generation to enjoy as you have?

If you can honestly answer yes to that question, then you are a REAL FAN, no matter what it is about Joe that you like.

P.S. I actually rather liked most of the DDP run if you don't count the outrageous number of deaths (Flash, Mainframe, Lady Jaye, Chuckles, etc.)

Easily. :)

While I enjoyed Hama's Frontline arc, when I read through the Marvel run, I think it stinks. Might be because it's been 15+ years since it originally ended, and technology has advanced, etc. etc but it just doesn't do it for me.

And none of the deaths in comics ever bothered me. Has no bearing on what I do with my toys, just what the story I read includes.

-Kevin

You know, I get sick of people saying what a "REAL" fan of something or other is. Whether it on the boards here, or StarWars.com, or elsewhere these criticisms abound, and have no foundation. Most people who bandy them about feel that a "real fan" believes and likes exactly what they do, and any deviation from this ideal makes them a ... umm... "fake fan" I guess.

But in terms of G.I. Joe, it doesn't matter whether you liked marvel of DDP better, or when you started collecting, or if you actually liked Sigma Six, or if you think Duke should have wound up with Scarlett rather than SE (blasphemy I know).

If and when you have children would you be proud to pass down your love for and knowledge of G.I. Joe for the next generation to enjoy as you have?

If you can honestly answer yes to that question, then you are a REAL FAN, no matter what it is about Joe that you like.

P.S. I actually rather liked most of the DDP run if you don't count the outrageous number of deaths (Flash, Mainframe, Lady Jaye, Chuckles, etc.)

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH good try but your wrong.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH good try but your wrong.

Dare I ask how YOU would define a real fan without using yourself as the God given reference?

Meh, who cares? All good things must come to an end... Not that I thought it WAS good, but it's still true.

I really have to wonder why Heavy Duty is so loved at Hasbro, though.

And seriously, Johnny Rebel, all this "true fan" bs makes you look like a real nerd. Get a life. That sort of talk is for Star Wars geeks, not GI Joe.

Doesn't somebody (anybody?) have a BOOK out yet, that explains to all of us rookie, novice, newbie, unintelligent and UNreal G.I.Joe fans, what's proper and improper in this hobby???

It should include proper message board etiqutte as well, and how to go about posting proper and acceptable opinions on it. I'd like to read some of this genius material and learn to be a better fan.

@lol@

Meh, who cares? All good things must come to an end... Not that I thought it WAS good, but it's still true.

And seriously, Johnny Rebel, all this "true fan" bs makes you look like a real nerd. Get a life. That sort of talk is for Star Wars geeks, not GI Joe.

Just as a point, I resent the Star Wars geek remark. I am one far more than a G.I. Joe fan. The vast majority of Star Wars fans believe that this 'true fan' nonsense is just the BS you describe it to be, and thats what I'm trying to impart to Johnny above. Most of us "star wars geeks" are very accepting of other fans and their opinions - check the forums on starwars.com if you don't believe me.

You know, I get sick of people saying what a "REAL" fan of something or other is.

If and when you have children would you be proud to pass down your love for and knowledge of G.I. Joe for the next generation to enjoy as you have? If you can honestly answer yes to that question, then you are a REAL FAN, no matter what it is about Joe that you like.

And therein lies the problem. In bitching about someone else's criteria for "true fan", you've laid down some of your own. Yes, this may be a more broad and accepting "standard", but it's as futile in it's attempt to be all-encompassing as the original was in it's attempt to be exclusive.

If you like G.I.Joe, you are a fan. If you love GIJoe, popular, unpopular, misremembered, completely self-fabricated... you're still just a fan.

There is no such thing as a "True/Real Fan" and there are no imaginary criteria for who makes the cut. It's all of us, all the time, being fans 100%. Qualifiers are as biased as opinions... and you know what they say about opinions...

Heavy Duty as an original team member? I'll pass. Why does Hasbro insist on pushing this character on us? Also, the only thing worse than having to sit through the "Why does Snake-Eyes have the same tattoo as Storm Shadow?" storyline again is having to sit through it as written by the EXACT SAME GUY WHO DID IT THE FIRST TIME! It would be like Ultimate Spider-man with Stan Lee writing it.

I do like both cartoons. And let me also state, since this'll probably insence you more, I REALLY liked the movie.

Glad to see someone does! I've always been about half AFRAID to mention i thought it was kinda cool, and I can't even say "as a kid" because I was 24 at the time. @loll@

I do like both cartoons. And let me also state, since this'll probably insence you more, I REALLY liked the movie.

Glad to see someone does! I've always been about half AFRAID to mention i thought it was kinda cool, and I can't even say "as a kid" because I was 24 at the time. @loll@

I never saw it until it was being aired on TV in five-part segments. :)

I still watch it anytime I am itching for some G.I.Joe to watch.

And right after I finish it, I sit down and watch Operation Dragonfire.

Tom'll tell you how much I like that baby.

-Kevin

I do like both cartoons. And let me also state, since this'll probably incense you more, I REALLY liked the movie.

I like the movie too!

In fact, I think that the opening sequence pretty much perfectly defines what GIJOE RAH is to me.

Just as a point, I resent the Star Wars geek remark. I am one far more than a G.I. Joe fan. The vast majority of Star Wars fans believe that this 'true fan' nonsense is just the BS you describe it to be, and thats what I'm trying to impart to Johnny above. Most of us "star wars geeks" are very accepting of other fans and their opinions - check the forums on starwars.com if you don't believe me.

Meh, I thought someone might get offended. Let me explain what I meant.

One thing that I've liked about GI Joe is that it's sort of less geeky than other toy collecting communities. Not to say that there isn't a geekiness there - but there's just a lot less of the mom's basement-dwelling, BO-smelling fanboyishness that I've seen elsewhere. Again, NOT TO SAY IT DOESN'T EXIST, but it seems to be much less so. I've been to a Joe convention, and I've been to comic conventions. There's a HUGE difference. It's just far more prevalent in the SW fan community.

Of course I don't mean ALL SW fans. Heck I like SW myself (well, MOST of it ;) ), but as it grew in popularity in the mid-to-late nineties, you saw more and more people becoming totally obsessed, the typical socially maladjusted annoying guys yelling NOOB and all sorts of crap. I just don't like it. Maybe now that the movies are over we'll see less of that, who knows.

Now that GI Joe is becoming the "hot property" in toys I'm seeing a lot more of that sort of thing, and personally I don't like it. I just find it juvenile. I know, kind of an odd thing to say when you're talking about a "kid's toy", but it's true. Does that make sense? (I'm kind of tired and I'm not sure I worded my argument as best as I could have, but I think I've got this jist of it down.)

One thing that I've liked about GI Joe is that it's sort of less geeky than other toy collecting communities. Not to say that there isn't a geekiness there - but there's just a lot less of the mom's basement-dwelling, BO-smelling fanboyishness that I've seen elsewhere. Again, NOT TO SAY IT DOESN'T EXIST, but it seems to be much less so. I've been to a Joe convention, and I've been to comic conventions. There's a HUGE difference. It's just far more prevalent in the SW fan community.

Of course I don't mean ALL SW fans. Heck I like SW myself (well, MOST of it ;) ), but as it grew in popularity in the mid-to-late nineties, you saw more and more people becoming totally obsessed, the typical socially maladjusted annoying guys yelling NOOB and all sorts of crap. I just don't like it. Maybe now that the movies are over we'll see less of that, who knows.

Now that GI Joe is becoming the "hot property" in toys I'm seeing a lot more of that sort of thing, and personally I don't like it. I just find it juvenile. I know, kind of an odd thing to say when you're talking about a "kid's toy", but it's true. Does that make sense? (I'm kind of tired and I'm not sure I worded my argument as best as I could have, but I think I've got this jist of it down.)

@loll@

NAAAAAAH! I think you had it right the first time! Star Wars fans are "GEEKS"!!

starwarsgeekyr0.png

;) I kid I kid!

For some of you that are wondering about what a true G.I Joe is. i've outlined it here, if you do not agree with everything on the list you ARE NOT A true G.I Joe fan.

A True G.I Joe fan.

A) likes/collects ARAH gijoe figures 1982-1994 figures ONLY!

B ) only gi joe Comics you like are the original marvel run!

C)only gi joe cartoon you like is sunbow version.

D) you HATE the 25th anniversary figures!!!

E) while thinking of larry hama,you "touch" yourself!

F) while your thinking of larry hama and touching yourself, you wonder if he is out there somwhere thinking of you and touching himself?

G) you have a unibrow,a bald spot and your message board handle is Toiletmonkey1

I hope this list clears up all the confusion over what it means to be a REAL G.I JOE FAN, thank you for your time.

TM

For some of you that are wondering about what a true G.I Joe is. i've outlined it here, if you do not agree with everything on the list you ARE NOT A true G.I Joe fan.

A True G.I Joe fan.

F) while your thinking of larry hama and touching yourself, you wonder if he is out there somwhere thinking of you and touching himself?

G) you have a unibrow,a bald spot and your message board handle is Toiletmonkey1

I hope this list clears up all the confusion over what it means to be a REAL G.I JOE FAN, thank you for your time.

TM

See, I make that entire list, except for the handle! :(

-Kevin

A True G.I Joe fan.

TM

aloudlaffye6.gifwaaaaahahaha..hoot hoot!!

@loll@

NAAAAAAH! I think you had it right the first time! Star Wars fans are "GEEKS"!!

starwarsgeekyr0.png

;) I kid I kid!

you saw more and more people becoming totally obsessed, the typical socially maladjusted annoying guys yelling NOOB and all sorts of crap.

Very true, there are a lot of people like that. However, it is possible to be 'totally obsessed' and not be socially maladjusted. I'm proof of that. I may know pretty much everything about starwars, but I still regularly hang out with friends, hold down two jobs, volunteer weekly, all while in university.

And that picture is completely accurate to many of us - kidding kidding.

A True G.I Joe fan.

TM

I was sooo close as well. Guess I am going to have to change my handle then! @loll@ @loll@

A True G.I Joe fan.

TM

WOAH the 12 inch GI Joes were out long before the Real American Hero line was

and i'm a fan of the origional since I had them as kids

I love RAH also and the 25th anniversary figures IMO are very nice figures