One last 25th vs New Sculpt

dakullprt

Lets take the best New sculpt had to offer

Dtc Barrel Roll

Dtc Barrage

Wave 7 Snake Eyes

Wave 6 Torch

Slip Stream

Roll Bar I want to add Gung ho minus action attack.

In your opinon how do they stack up to 25th style.

If hasbro would have continue to produce quality figuers like these based on original molds would like these better than their non O-ring counter parts.

For me DTC Barrel Roll and Slip Steam are perfect I think they could use these molds as a base for anyone.

I don't think there is anyway that anything from that era could top figures like Snow Job or Torpedo in my mind. It just can't be done. No matter how good they were...they can't hold a candle to those figures. The best of the JVC era are the mediocre of the 25th era. But that's just my opinion.

Some of them like the ones you mentioned are good enough to stand side by side with the 25th stuff. Beyond construction 25th is now paying so much more attention to detail that it's pushing them over the edge for sure. Look at snow jobs adventure team logo and joe carrying case on his belt. Not to mention a removable hood and goggles ! The new articulation for ankles is great too! But one thing new sculpts had going were designs. I still feel some of those are far better than classic (jvc wave 1 duke, cc, wet-suit , or any of the noks aside from zartan, even vvv wild weasal).

Well, the new designs were good for some characters. However, as this is the classic line, it will be only some time after the movie line finishes that we'll see stuff like that or all new sculpts.

Speaking as a fan who missed most of the orginals of these characters - I'm really excited to get a shot at an improved (IMO) version of these iconic characters. Eventually I'd like to see a redo and repair of some of the newer designs of the characters, and even some of the new characters introduced in those lines (Barrel Roll and Dart come to mind) to mix in with the classics. But we'll have to wait on that.

I feel that if they had done original characters in their classic looks for the "new sculpt" era the figures actually would have been better than what we have gotten with the 25th line. The 25th figures look great but are lacking big time when it comes to playability and articulation. The later new sculpt figures like Major Barrage were perfect. Imagine if they had done all the classic 80s Joes in that style? It would be all the greatness of the 25th line only without all the downsides. The new sculpt stuff was hit and miss. For every terrible figure there were an excellent one and I think a lot of Joe fans are so wowed by the "original" card art of the 25th line that they refuse to recognize this and pretend they all were crap. Do the people who think all the new sculpt stuff stank even open their 25th figures? Molded closed fists may seem OK MOC but out of the package it's crap.

the GvC, VvV, DTC figures... they all stunk.

I take exception to that. I think that there were a lot of great GvC, DTC, VvV and others. The Sand Viper is awesome and Heavy Water is great too. I can't wait to mix the Desert extreme environment pack with my Sand Viper army, as well as my Heavy Waters, in a rogue nation nuclear facility (Actually Cobra mountain) . I took some pics to see how well the New Sculpt display with the 25th.

Here they go:

Duke and Hawk are giving a briefing to Barrel Roll, Quarrel (crude custom), and a member of Steel Brigade:

moreebay015fu7.th.jpg

Here's another angle:

moreebay024iu9.th.jpg

And from the back:

moreebay031on7.th.jpg

Lets take the best New sculpt had to offer

Dtc Barrel Roll

Dtc Barrage

Wave 7 Snake Eyes

Wave 6 Torch

Slip Stream

Roll Bar I want to add Gung ho minus action attack.

In your opinon how do they stack up to 25th style.

If hasbro would have continue to produce quality figuers like these based on original molds would like these better than their non O-ring counter parts.

For me DTC Barrel Roll and Slip Steam are perfect I think they could use these molds as a base for anyone.

they would be great to see all but SE i have had enough of him for a while. @smilepunch@

I'm not all that impressed with the new style, meaning the 25th style. It's BIGGEST draw ( I'm assuming) is the fact that it's all retro for all the old "can't get past what happened in 1982 thru 1986 and I'm not criticizing the fact that such sentimentality exists, just that I don't share it, at least not to the SAME extent, so it's lost on me.

I'm drawn more to the actual action figures and how they look, feel and how well you can either play with them (without totally destroying them) or their customizing potential (for added fun) with them. For MOC collectors, the new 25th stuff is undoubtedly the BOMB for them, as they look awesome (usually) but fail miserably...out of the plastic prison. Things just weren't completely thought out, in this area, and things don't fit right, they don't function right, they just don't work quite the same as what the older REAL action figures (playable action figures) did.

Hopefully the JBL fella's don't mind me using their pics, but they have GREAT reviews and pics to go along with them, and these are just a few of the standouts, that really made the grade for me, far and above MOST the 25th stuff...with a few exceptions maybe, but very few.

vvvdw3.png

vvv5ks9.png

vvv4yd4.png

I'm not saying they were perfect, but we're comapring the two...right? :)

I would have to agree with you VH. I love the DTC line. I wish they would have just continued on with that line as well. I have not been impressed with any of the new 25th figures so far except for Bazooka. He is not bad. Of course, I know they will probably not go back but I would so rather them make figures with the o-rings. My two cents:)

even the best of the VvV/DTC/GvC era don't compare to the 25th stuff. the figures look better and are better. what the 25th stuff lacks in some poseability isn't nearly as detrimental to them as the ridiculously bad proportions and silly character designs that plagued many of the new sculpt figures. I'd rather have a figure that is visually appealing but lacks some playability than a figure that is so ugly I don't want to play with it at all -- that was what the new sculpt era was, minus a few exceptions.

if a figure is poseable but nobody plays with it, does anyone notice?

even the best of the VvV/DTC/GvC era don't compare to the 25th stuff. the figures look better and are better.

opinion...not fact. FACT in your opinion, but not necessarily as we all see it.

what the 25th stuff lacks in some poseability isn't nearly as detrimental to them as the ridiculously bad proportions and silly character designs that plagued many of the new sculpt figures.

I think the 25th line has some issues in regards to ridiculous proportions as well. Pin heads, huge hands, skinny-ass limbs and a variety of various discombobulated weapons and gear or detachments that are more often detached than ATTACHED because of piss-poor design. I fart and a backpack falls off, I get up to get a beer and accidently bump the desk and it's like a house of cards tumbling down, helmets, guns, backpacks, goggles and all sorts of sh@#.

I'd rather have a figure that is visually appealing but lacks some playability than a figure that is so ugly I don't want to play with it at all -- that was what the new sculpt era was, minus a few exceptions.

As I demonstrated above with images, I thought (as in personal opinion) a lot of the new sculpt figures were VERY appealing in there appearance, and they could actually bend and articulate FULLY, like the figures are touted as being able/suppose to.

That's why Hasbro has made the 25th line the way it has. They know that the folks BUYING them aren't REEEEALLY going to be "playing" with them, and instead will be pinning them to their bedroom walls, unopened, for the mere sake of oogling at them, in all their plastic encased prisons, so why focus so much on poseability at ALL with them. I found it funny that so many complained about Bludds lack of a joint on his Right arm, seeing how most the stuff is very limited in any articulation at all, neck, waist, elbows you name it.

Mcfarlane makes some VERY "pretty", highly detailed and proportionally accurate sculptors, but again, nobody "plays" with them anyway, despite being so pretty, because their made to LOOK at in a collection of them, as a whole. ^_^

G.I.Joe's were never meant to be like that, and I'd hate to ever see it go that far, but it's getting closer than it ever has been before. 25th are poorly articulated despite the claims....I think.

even the best of the VvV/DTC/GvC era don't compare to the 25th stuff. the figures look better and are better. what the 25th stuff lacks in some poseability isn't nearly as detrimental to them as the ridiculously bad proportions and silly character designs that plagued many of the new sculpt figures. I'd rather have a figure that is visually appealing but lacks some playability than a figure that is so ugly I don't want to play with it at all -- that was what the new sculpt era was, minus a few exceptions.

Totally agree. Most of the new sculpt stuff sucks beyond belief looking back at it. There is a few jems, but few and far between. And very few new characters are that good from the new sculpt era too.

Draven

Well this is where we disagree. Bombstrike was a better figure IMO for example than the 25th Jady Jaye for example.

even the best of the VvV/DTC/GvC era don't compare to the 25th stuff. the figures look better and are better.

of course it's my opinion, I don't think it can be taken any other way. why the need to specifically qualify it as such when it inherently is?

VH selected some very nice examples from the former lines. And actually, the Interrorgator looks pretty much like a "25th" version in new sculpt.

I don't think so, it just looks like a very well done new sculpt figure, but the aesthetics look nothing like the 25th design.

Well this is where we disagree. Bombstrike was a better figure IMO for example than the 25th Jady Jaye for example.

I disagree. the Lady Jaye figure minus the head is far better than Bombstrike's squat torso, short biceps and long foreams, but Bombstrike has a superior head sculpt.

I don't think so, it just looks like a very well done new sculpt figure, but the aesthetics look nothing like the 25th design.

I agree with your disagreement. :D I realized immediately afterwards that it isn't that accurate to the original. It's close and passes, but still somewhat distant-just like Grand Slam and Footloose. Nonetheless, some of my favorites in the line.

There have been several figures in the last few years that I thought were great. The Spy Troops Roadblock and GvsC Wil Bill come immediately to mind. And I think the newer figures coming up are looking better and better. I noticed that Dusty and Quick-Kick have more natural-looking torso-joints than some of the earlier figures have. And I truly hope that the new TF Duke is an indication that we'll see a Version 1 Duke with fixed arms. (PLEASE Hasbro please!!) I just wish they'd go back to using ball-jointed elbow-joints like we saw on DTC Barrel-Roll. Those seemed to provide the best range of motion. And I hope they slowly get away from re-using the same sculpts for multiple figures. Every now and then it doesn't bother me. But it's been way overdone lately.

I actually like the new style of construction, but I wish the chest-joint was some kind of ball-joint and the waist would swivel like on Star Wars figures.

And I can see VH's point of view concerning the durability of the new figures; half of them don't stand on their own or don't hold their weapons very well, and they just don't seem as solid as the older figures. I personally wish they go back to using the older, harder-quality plastic but with the softer plastic for the hands so their thumbs don't break.

I really hope Sideshow's attention to detail with the twelve-inch stuff will inspire Hasbro to put even more thought and detail into the 3-3/4" figures.

Well, the new designs were good for some characters. However, as this is the classic line, it will be only some time after the movie line finishes that we'll see stuff like that or all new sculpts.

Speaking as a fan who missed most of the orginals of these characters - I'm really excited to get a shot at an improved (IMO) version of these iconic characters. Eventually I'd like to see a redo and repair of some of the newer designs of the characters, and even some of the new characters introduced in those lines (Barrel Roll and Dart come to mind) to mix in with the classics. But we'll have to wait on that.

Me too. Sgt. Hacker and Barrel Roll would be nice additions eventually to the line.

right... the "new sculpt" figures were so great that no stores would carry them @lol@

please. they sucked big time. sooooo ugly..

Y'know, I've been looking at the reviews and comparison pics over at joebattlelines.com, and I have to say, the 25th sculpts make everything, and I mean everything, that came before look awfully dated and way misproportioned. Now they're not perfect by no means, but they're probably the best looking G.I. Joe figures ever made, when compared to the older stuff. As solid and durable though? I don't know; that might be a valid debate...

of course it's my opinion, I don't think it can be taken any other way. why the need to specifically qualify it as such when it inherently is?

Because it's simple manners and good etiqutte to be specific in expressing it as so, seeing the growing trend (here lately) for members to be a bit defensive and easily offended by our opinions. ^_^

An added "I think" or "IMO" are highly beneficial in providing that oh so needed classification and lessens the harshness of a misperceived arrogant attitude that typically suggests such thoughts are beyond MORE than just a personal opinion, but in our minds..the "WAY IT IS AND THAT'S IT, NO ARGUMENT".....kinda attitude. ;)

I disagree. the Lady Jaye figure minus the head is far better than Bombstrike's squat torso, short biceps and long foreams, but Bombstrike has a superior head sculpt.

See, perfect example. Several collectors (like myself) THINK the Bombstrike figure is a MUCH better looking AND functional sculpt than the 25th LJ figure, but expressing our opinions in the manner in which you choose, attempts to not just disagree but invalidate any others.

:)

right... the "new sculpt" figures were so great that no stores would carry them @lol@

please. they sucked big time. sooooo ugly..

They were available at all the same places that the 25th line is now. When the line was canceled and Hasbro offered the DTC line to fans online, it's POPULARITY prompted Toys "R' Us to get in on the action too.

Two things that concern me with the 25th line, They just don't fit in with the others, If they made the comentment to remake every figure put out that might settle me. Another thing is that the line has digressed 25 years while being better than what was back then (old mustang vs new mustang).

The other reason is this has diveded the communtiy. After they stopped short with the RAHCol, we as a community made noise and we got are wave 5 Rah col. When they tried to pass that JvC o-ringless garbage on us they went back to the drawing boards and they threw us a tasty bone ( Viper, Alley Viper).

When Shipwreck came out of scale they came out with standered buck concept. We got before hand pictures of figuers with diaper crotch, were it looked like they were going slash the o-ring we nipped that in the bud. Now They are doing all this it seems everyone is fine with it.