Bale Says No To Robin In Future Batman Movies

Wheeljack35

http://enewsi.com/news.php?itemid=13544

Bale Says No To Robin In Future Batman Movies

posted by JayC

BATMAN star CHRISTIAN BALE has declared he will quit the comic book movie franchise if producers ever decide to reintroduce the caped crusader's sidekick ROBIN.

Bale took on the role of the legendary action hero in 2005's Batman Begins and will be seen again in The Dark Knight, which is due for release later this month (Jul08). But the actor is hoping that the character of Robin is not brought back into any of future Batman movies - because he will resign in protest.

He says, "If Robin crops up in one of the new Batman films, I'll be chaining myself up somewhere and refusing to go to work."

LOL I like this guy

He possibly has seen what Joel Shumacher did when he bought Robin in during his Batman tenure

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Bale here. The addition of Robin into Detective Comics was to tone down the darkness Batman wallowed in. He wasn't exactly kid friendly, what with the hand guns and brutal violence against criminals. I don't see a need to do that here. Mind you I haven't seen the Dark Knight yet, and have stayed away from all teasers and spoilers, but I don't see how introducing a plucky young sidekick will advance the character. Furthermore, the idea of giving Bale a young, possibly teenaged sidekick is not a plausible option in the universe that has been built. Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight seem to be grounded in a certain reality that would not allow for a Robin. It would be like telling the comic book Bruce Wayne, um dude you're over 60 years old right now. It doesn't work within the stories being told.

i call BS, you can't let the 3rd and 4th batman movies ruin the characters, but i'd rather them do a kinda 20min flash back and just jump straight to a grown nightwing, then you can have all your violence, and if joker hadn't been killed we could always go the route in the comics because joker did kill one of the robins

I don't think the films need Robin anyway. You don't always have to eventually end up with Batman and Robin. I'd rather see Batman alone for now. I wonder how he feels about Batgirl.

Damn! I can't believe I got beat too the punch again. I was asking all my comic buddies this question about 3 weeks ago & was planing on starting a thread. Oh well its just as well.

To be more exact, I was asking was the franchise ready for Robin to step in? & my answer is....................................no.

altho I'm not toaly against it in the near future. I've read a lot of you guys saying things like your scared it'll make the story weak & corny, but if the timeing & choice of teen actor is right, then we could have another block buster on our hands.

I totaly agree that Batman needs to remain DARK! That means the Robin's back story would have to be just as tragic as Bruce's. Also stay the hell a way from all that scyronized fighting that kill the movies! & don't make Dick & Bruce so darn buddy buddy, & alway in each others mists.

Take it from me the whole older rich man living with a young boy that's of no relation! well that's an invatation to scandal if ever there were. Oh yeah & while I'm on the subject, before Robin is even thought of, Cat Woman needs to be brought in!!! I mean I can think of no better way for the franchise to slowly & respectfuly move away from what Ledger is about to do for this film in trems of ensuring its accecptance in to "COMIC BOOK MOVIE HALL OF FAME"!!!

So yes, Boy Wonder is in my book a very real possibilty in the not too distant future. Think about this, if the makers of Harry Potter were'nt so damn worried about the film being too dark & violent for kids, then we'd already have a good sence of seeing teens in a dark movie, torcherd past & all. So who evers out there reading this, when you do him, be sure you get the chacter right with out a lot of "blah blah blah" sappy male bonding crap.

I tend to think that Bale is speaking from a position of ignorance...quite possibly not having been exposed to Robin in his (better) comic incarnations, and instead basing his opinion on things like the 60's TV show, and yes, "Batman and Robin."

I tend to think that if Nolan and his crew delivered a script that introduced Robin in a mature, thoughtful and at least semi-plausible way Bale would be speaking glowing praises of it and eager to get started.

Like it or not, Robin is an integral part of the Batman mythos. While certainly they could do another movie (or two) without him, eventually it's something they should deal with. It can be done well, and in a non-cheesy way, it just takes a good writer.

Of course, they could also kind of combine characters/roles. Introduce Tim Drake or Dick Grayson, and instead of having him running around in costume beating up bad guys with Bruce, use him in an "Oracle" type support role, chilling in the Batcave and providing information support. Gets around the whole "how insane is it to have a minor running around fighting people that are shooting at him?" bit but still provides the character with a useful role.

Right now I almost feel like this is still early Batman and he is not good enough himself to have a sidekick anyway. Like he is still learning and has more to learn before trying to pass that knowledge along to someone else.

Robin was always a whiny little fruitcake like Spiderman, i hated Batman and Robin.. an i really cant stand the sidekick deal.

Bale is a growing actor, let him have his due.. he wont let us down.

Robin was always a whiny little fruitcake like Spiderman, i hated Batman and Robin.. an i really cant stand the sidekick deal.

Bale is a growing actor, let him have his due.. he wont let us down.

spiderman??? whiny???? WTF??? anyways....i like robin as a comic/toon character but ...i dont see a place for him in the bats movies.

Like someone said, like it or not Robin is part of the Batman mythos, but it doesn´t mean he HAS to appear in batman movies.

If he had to, I would make his appearance along the movie with small mentions thru papers and news, "a new vigilante in gotham" would be the headlines, and some photos or cell videos trying to catch him in action, like "he is just another vigilante". Then, in a bank robbery or a hostile situation, Batman shows up to catch the criminal, but so does Robin, who admires Batman.

Batman says "u dont know what ur doing, you will make people get hurt, etc" Robin replies "i know what im doing, i`ve tried, whatever"

Batman "Ill have to stop u if u insist in doing this". They begin to fight, while the bad guy scapes, which can be used as a subplot for Robin to make a short appearance, helping Batman. After getting the bad guys, Robin can say "ull be hearing from me in the future" and disappears from wherever they are, a warehouse maybe. All of this at the begining of the movie so batman goes solo the rest of the movie.

Needs a lot of work, but that is the main idea, make them separate heroes that ocasionally team up.

Ok for everyone hating on Robin in a Batman movie, you need to read Dark Victory a Batman graphic novel done by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. It's a follow up to Batman: Long Halloween (done by the same team and to which both Batman Begins and Dark Knight owe a big nod too, as it's evident was one of the source material they pulled from, i.e. Freaks vs. Mafia, birth of Two Face, and the development of the the Batman/Gordon relationship) and handles the inclusion of Robin in a very real and touching way. This would be a good character arc to explore for Batman/Bruce Wayne in the movie as they've already set his fear of going to far, of becoming too dark, (and the over all theme of escalation) we could indeed see this Batman getting close to crossing the line and Robin, like in the comics, has always been the counter balance and something of a control mechanism for this. (read the Denny O'neil issues and issues that lead up to Jason Todd taking the mantle of Robin) Robin and Batman share a mutual history, as they both lost their parents at a young age, and part of Batman healing those wounds and not letting them tear him apart is his mentoring of a child who experienced the same fate as him. So read Long Halloween and Dark Victory and I think you'd be able to see how a Robin could easily fit into the world Nolan has developed and would add to it, as long as they stay away from the same mistakes that Scheumaker made, like casting a Robin who is as old as Batman, he needs to be like 14-16 not 30 like O'Donnel, ugh. (also I probably wouldn't even have him wear a costume in the first movie he would appear in, at least not until the very, very end maybe, should be about his journey to walking the same road as Batman/Wayne.)

Ok ok wait, dig this! Now its nothing new & I'm sure many of you have seen it before on youtube. But what about that "Grayson" trailer that came out about a year & a half ago.

You know the one where Dick is all grown & Bruce is dead & the other member os the JLA are there to help Dick cope with the death of Batman. Now I'm not suggesting that JLA member are in future Batman movies............................(or am i?), well i'll shelf that thought for another day. anyway what caught my eye in the Grayson trailer was how well this dude was portraying an older Robin.

I think i'd like to see acting on that calabure or better if & when (& believe me its more WHEN than if, cause like some one said Robin is a permanent fixture of the Batman mythos), the Robin chacter is re introdused.

oh yeah if you haven't seen the Grayson trailer I'm speaking of then just go to youtube & type in "Grayson trailer".

I don't like Robin, I would like to see Batgirl at some point, though.

Only if she is Gordens daughter and not Alfreds neice

agreed...."suit me up uncle alfred".....ehhh!

as much as i love robin, he wouldn't fit in the current batman movies

But! the guy from Heroes, Milo Ventitmsmsisditgla is super anxious to play Nightwing, and I think that could work. He'd have to be more of a partner than a sidekick, and they'd obviously have to mess with the origin since theyre skipping past like 15 years of Robin-ness, but I'm sure they could figure out a cool way to do it, just like they did with the Joker's new 'origin'

I'd rather they keep the movies simple and just have Batman versus bad guys. If you were to introduce Batgirl, I'd like it if she never really teams up with Bats. I would much rather see the f-ed up relationship between Batman and Catwoman.

Know what is sounds like to me, it sounds like our young Dick Grayson needs to grow up & get his own movie.

Let Batman in that continuity play 2nd fiddle to Night Wing.

i think that comics cross over to the real world pretty well except certain stuff....like....sidekicks. we except silly stuff like supes putting on glasses for a new look but bruce publicly adopting a little boy, then...bats showing up with one( duh...) is a little too cartoony. but you cant have nightwing without robin

I think anyone who's claiming that Robin is inherently too "cartoony and unrealistic" might need a reminder that we're talking about an omnicompetent billionaire that dresses up like a giant bat and faces criminals armed with automatic weapons on a nightly basis without ending up in the morgue.

In other words, it's a cartoony and unrealistic premise to begin with. Robin isn't going to stretch suspension of disbelief any further than it's already been stretched. There are plenty of ways the character could work without going into "cheesy" territory.