GIJoe Cartoon Animation

JayC

So it's just going to look like that sigma six crap again? I guess I won't be watching this show.

What????? Im not gonna argue witth people who want to hate it before they even see it but if you decide not to watch then its your loss cause this was one of the best looking cartoons I've seen in a long time.

So it's Anime 'knock-off'. See this is what I find is so tragic about the Sigma 6 series. Hasbro got an actual Anime studio, GONZO, to do a G.I. Joe animated series, and even though the animation was great the storytelling was crap. Now Hasbro wants to do a more adult-oriented series with much better writting (Warren Ellis is Frank Miller on drugs) and instead of getting an actual Japanese Anime studio to do the animation they go for some 'western Anime-like' style.

Oh well, here's hoping for the best.

So it's just going to look like that sigma six crap again? I guess I won't be watching this show.

What????? Im not gonna argue witth people who want to hate it before they even see it but if you decide not to watch then its your loss cause this was one of the best looking cartoons I've seen in a long time.

I see what you are saying JayC.....but to be honest when I clicked on this thread I was hoping it would have the actual con footage. But I kinda felt the same way when I went to the link. I'm gonna wait until I actually see the footage............ but everyone was blown away at the con and then u say "its like this" and its a kiddie anime NickToon that you have a link 2........it could confuse some people.

I kind of thought the same thing as donsegar. I absolutely LOATHE anime cartoons (no offense to anime fans out there). It seems like every popular cartoon over the last 8 years or so was either anime, or an anime knock off. I really don't understand what's so great about it...

I'll give it a chance, but if it's an anime style cartoon, it's gonna take some pretty good story lines to keep me watching.

After the live action movie gets done turning our ARAH's into an episode of LAGUNA BEACH, it's probably going to be a BIG relief to see them BACK in cartoon form.

Even Anime! ^_^

The eyes are not as "anime" looking as that Avatar image. Believe me guys, this is awesome! Those of you that are doubting this now won't after you see the trailer.

I got goosebumps watching this thing! I'm glad they showed it to us three times.

The eyes are not as "anime" looking as that Avatar image. Believe me guys, this is awesome! Those of you that are doubting this now won't after you see the trailer.

I got goosebumps watching this thing! I'm glad they showed it to us three times.

How would you describe the animation? What did it most resemble?

How would you describe the animation? What did it most resemble?

It's hard to say, I've never watched Avatar but I'm sure there are some similarities. The animation looks great, it'd compare the backgrounds maybe something like Gundam Seed. As for the characters, more American looking than Japanese. The studio in Korea also did the Sunbow series. I only watch a few anime series, so I'm not sure what to compare it to.

As for the characters, they based them off of their original uniform colors, just a little more muted. The backgrounds will be darker, like shots in the Flagg and the Senate floor. The vehicles are actually designed from current and future military vehicle concepts.

Think Clone Wars action for the show. Here's some tidbits...

* They said there won't be a lot of political situations taking place.

* Duke is in charge

* No Devil's Due characters

* The Flagg is the main base

* Lady Jaye is more true to her original file card, more of a tom boy

* Some origin storys, like in the trailer Roadblock doesn't know who Snake Eyes is

* No mention on who Scarlett's love interest would be (Snake Eyes or Duke)

* IDW will have a comic based on the 'toon

* No laser blasts, you see shells flying out of the guns

You guys throw around the term anime so much now days it's hard to determine what you consider really anime anymore. Watching this I did not feel I was watching anime. Yes the image I linked to is for a anime show and one I don't watch so I don't know if the overall styles match or not but the specific image itself I posted a link for, to me doens't look anime. Is there some anime influences....maybe but technically you can say the same thing about the original series. I mean when I think of Anime, I think of something that looks like this

http://comicsnewsi.net/g/?mode=view&al...00&start=30

and thats not what this series looked like. Another example to give you an idea might be the MOTU series from a couple years ago. It's hard to describe though without seeing it yourself, I wish Hasbro would show the clip online. I think it's a mistake on their part not to, but unfortunetly I don't get to make those decisions.

You guys throw around the term anime so much now days it's hard to determine what you consider really anime anymore. Watching this I did not feel I was watching anime. Yes the image I linked to is for a anime show and one I don't watch so I don't know if the overall styles match or not but the specific image itself I posted a link for, to me doens't look anime. Is there some anime influences....maybe but technically you can say the same thing about the original series. I mean when I think of Anime, I think of something that looks like this

and thats not what this series looked like. Another example to give you an idea might be the MOTU series from a couple years ago. It's hard to describe though without seeing it yourself, I wish Hasbro would show the clip online. I think it's a mistake on their part not to, but unfortunetly I don't get to make those decisions.

Well JayC you are right, Empty Empire is 100% Anime/Manga. But Avatar is more like an American style clone of Anime and I do understand what you mean by the fact that most people associate any animated show that has characters with big eyes to be Anime, which they're not, and is a very ignorant thing to do. The 2000 MOTU series on the other hand I'd definitely say was completely Western animation style and even though I've never been a He-Man fan, that series was very well done. And yes it's also true that the original 80's G.I. Joe series was somewhat Anime influenced (one of the most popular Japanese Anime creators in Japan, Satoshi Urushihara worked on the original RAH cartoon) but the original Joe toon is not Anime, not in the least bit.

So from what I've heard about this new series, from those few lucky enough to actually see it, this will not be a new G.I. Joe Anime series like Sigma 6 (which I state again I liked, except for the writing) but a regular Western American looking Joe toon, despite whatever Anime styles and tricks the people at J & M Studios copied.

After the live action movie gets done turning our ARAH's into an episode of LAGUNA BEACH, it's probably going to be a BIG relief to see them BACK in cartoon form.

Even Anime! ^_^

holy sh!t, you made me laugh!

Even Anime! ^_^

holy sh!t, you made me laugh!

Good! It's better than making you pound your fists, pull your hair out and slam your head (repeatedly) into the computer, trying to explain something to me! @smilepunch@

I agree with your perception of anime. Especially how american cartoons are now stylized than they were during the Hannah Barbara days.

Sadly, I think some folks nowadays use anime as a derogatory term in labelling a style of animation(whether it is an actual anime or a western cartoon); I seen someone on youtube went so far to call a change of art direction in one of the disney shows, American Dragon, an anime. For those who seen American Dragon, the art style isn't anime before and after the change in animation.

So from your description, the art for the new gi joe series is similar to MOTU 2003? Sounds good though I wonder if it is handled by the same studio as he-man. I recall seeing a Voltron teaser online that was done in the 2003 he-man series, but nothin came out of it.

Sadly, I think some folks nowadays use anime as a derogatory term in labelling a style of animation(whether it is an actual anime or a western cartoon); I seen someone on youtube went so far to call a change of art direction in one of the disney shows, American Dragon, an anime. For those who seen American Dragon, the art style isn't anime before and after the change in animation.

I've used the term in all manners, including derogatory.

To my mind, and experience, there's anime ( animated/design purely in Japan, intended for Japanese audiences first and exported after), anime-inspired, and anime-style.

I've worked on anime-inspired shows quite a few times before, and seen many shows produce domestically that were anime-style.

The distinctions between western animation and true anime are primarily the stylistic usage of limited animation principles. Anime doesn't have a monopoly on these techniques, but they tend to predominate in anime moreso than other types of animation and that is why any other kind of animation that borrows from that style is dubbed "anime".

Unfortunately, there's a LOT of western animation, and more than enough Japanese stuff, that apes the style in a very clichéd way. I mean, when you take the tripe that is Yu-Gi-OH, with its endlessly repetitive material..........its not putting anime into a good light. When I'm thinking derogatory thoughts about anime, its because of stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh and its ilk.

I would call the original GIJOE cartoon anime, because it has a lot of the same stylistic similarities as other Japanese cartoons from that era--as did Sigma Six with its reflection of modern anime.

Now, for this new cartoon......who knows how it will turn out. PG-13 material is all well and good, but is that a lock with the networks that would show this?

I'd assume so for now, because if they have promo animation done and are showing it around, then the series is in pre-prod ( at least) already. I'm remain a touch sceptical because I have seen projects like this get mud-sucked back into lameness before, and it doesn't take much to have the Joe team allying themselves with leprechauns to fight off COBRA again.

Sigma Six had some cool stuff in it, but it was choked with a lot of really stupid kiddie stuff too......that's the demographic it was aimed at. Just WHO this new cartoon is aimed at probably remains to be scene.

I hope they do pull it off and make a mature work out of this, it would/could set a cool tone for GIJOE again and probably draw a lot more people to it. The stories themselves will set that tone, and I hope they really take it places.

And for God sake, I hope they toss the leprechauns!!