Enough with the Exclusives already

darthhenning

Exclusices  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the practice of releasing exclusives?

• Yes, always
    • Only rarely
    • No, Never

I'm not being a jerk about this Henning, I swear... but... don't you feel you might be over reacting just a smidge?

I mean, we're getting wave 9 and 10 in stores, right? The DVD Adventure sets and most of the vehicles (Firebat, Sharc) aren't exclusive to any specific outlet.

No, you're not, it is a fair question to ask, this is a discussion after all.

Is the tone of my opening post a little over-reactive? Most likely it is somewhat, I'll admit it. But you have to acknowledge, that every single new item they showed at the con that we hadn't previously been informed about was an exclusive. If you ask me, thats overreactive to the idea of exclusive in the first place, so I feel somewhat justified.

Yes we are getting wave 9 and 10 in stores, they will hit (to my knowledge) between now and the end of September, same with the waves of vehicles. This means that anything released after September will be an exclusive of some sort - which in my opinion isn't really fair.

If people like Admiral Hunter want to army build certain vehicles, they should be able to do so without the result being that other collectors like myself have to settle for none. Everyone should have a shot at obtaining as many as we like.

What we have is a couple of items that they didn't HAVE to make, but did, and decided the best venue for those particular items were specific retail outlets. I mean, how many times have we heard it... vehicles without lights, sounds, blazing colors and OUTRAGEOUS gimmicks don't sell? While I don't entirely agree with it, I'm not one to risk the safety of the line by putting Rattlers and Conquests on every shelf of every store, ultimately finding them on clearance.

And contrary to what folks think, 'clearance' doesn't mean they sold so many they can afford to cut back the price. It means they didn't sell, Hasbro's leaking cash and the line will suffer for it. All you guys who say "I'll wait until it's on clearance" ... Curse you!

Did Hasbro HAVE to make these releases, no, certainly not. We didn't really need another Destro, Torpedo, Wild Bill, Ace, or Deep Six. However, people like Cutter, Starduster, and IGs deserve a separate general release. Same goes for the Conquest and Rattler. If we can only get them in these packs, then they should be generally released as well. People would be more likely to buy those if they could find them easily. Is that the most practical marketing strategy - I don't know, I don't work in the industry. However, from my rudimentary understanding of Supply and Demand, the current Demand by collectors for the product would usually necesitate that Hasbro Supply more of these sets to the general public via a general release.

As for the industry held belief that only vehicles with outrageous gimmics will sell, that is a total falsehood. If you go into any Toys R Us around here, the toys most likely to sit on the shelves are the weird ones that do everything for the child, and the ones that are relatively simple sell far better. Similarly, lines like Transformers and Star Wars that have released several larger vehicles recently have had them sell rather well, and they have relatively few gimmics. No, they are not devoid of them, but by comparion to many of the lines out there there are relatively few. They go on clearence more frequently, and in the case of Star Wars (keep in mind I'm only using local examples for my data) the single figures released for the line peg warm for much longer in many cases than do the larger sets, and go on clearence more often.

I'm not suggesting that they innundate the shelves with conquests and rattlers and jeprodize the safety of the line, thats the last thing I would want. THere has to be some thrill of the hunt in knowing when the store will get them. That said, one or two cases being sent to each store, or at a minimum each CITY shouldn't be difficult.

In Calgary for example, a total of between 8 and 10 cases of Wave 7 have hit the city. I can say that with comparative accuracy because I know someone in each store here that carries Joes. Every store that has had them has sold out in less than 1 week (with the exception of a single Wild Bill that has laster 10 days at the moment). 10 cases of general release for a city of 1,100,000 - anyone see the problem. With exclusives this just becomes worse - and thats where my complaints stem from.

As for waiting until something goes on clearence, I don't know anyone who would really believe that a store has sold so many of something that they would willingly lower the price. If a store was selling everything at a high price they would never lower it (look at gas) - if they want to sell it cheeply, its because they can't get rid of it othewise. I should thing everyone understands that. That said, people who wait on purchasinig something large until clearence are justified if there is a large stock of the item (such can be seen at car dealerships, and products like speed Racer this year). However, if there are only a small number available in the first place (one or two conquests or rattlers in the store) the collector would worry that someone would get in before him/her and snatch up what he/she wanted to purchase.

Now I can see how you would tie that last back to the basic idea of an exclusive, but not really. THe collector first must be able to FIND the product in question to desire to purchase it. The haphazard method of distrubution used for exclusives prevents most collectors from ever seeing the item in stores. A simple mass release of a limited number of each vehicle/set/figure to each store would result in an equally if not more successful purchase of these vehicles.

As if this isn't enough of a slap in the face, the Arctic and Desert sets will be online exclusives - OK where and how many will be made - will more than 50 people even be able to get a hold of them?

While I understand the argument of Canadians and the cost of exporting toys, I can't really accept this as a fair argument. Slap in the face? Again, the Arctic and Desert sets strike me as a TOTAL "We didn't HAVE to do this" piece. I mean, I've NEVER been one for it, but Joe fans frequently demand Joes and Cobras in enviornment specific outfits. I've never heard any child cry out "my playtime would be so much better if Cobra Commander was wearing a parka this winter" It's adult fans. Thus, these sets come to be in a way that - in all honesty - only adults will have the means and motive to acquire. If anyone wants them, Bigbadtoystore still has them for pre-order, and I, for one, ordered like ten sets. So, there's enough for everyone, I reckon. They didn't sell out already.

I know BBTS ships outside the U.S. - I've had them ship to me in Iraq, and it's not too harsh on the S&H even! So, reasonably, it's a question of how badly you desire something. I've had to pay scalper prices, sure... but I wanted to, ultimately. I can't believe BBTS charges more than anyone else out there, and I'm almost certain will carry every exclusive out there.

Like I said... it's a question of whether you want it or not.

Tom

All right, no arguement that the wording of that was over the top harsh. It was written in the heat of the moment. That said, my complaint still stands. They should never limit a figure to an online exclusive in my opinion. I for one do not have a credit card to order items online. I couldn't if I wanted to. I am currently in the process of attaining a bachelors degree in the Faculty of Medicine, and I couldn't pay off the balance I would wind up putting on a credit card if I could order Joes online. ONly by monitorin my cash levels monthly can I decide IF I can afford a certain wave of Joes and save for it.

THerefore you can understand my problem with online exclusives. These frustrations are the reason for my somwhat emotional first post.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic