Enough with the Exclusives already

darthhenning

Exclusices  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the practice of releasing exclusives?

• Yes, always
    • Only rarely
    • No, Never

i dont mind as my TRU & targets get them in all the time. it is allso a way for us to get stuff that we couldnt get other wise.

How do you figure that we coldn't get it otherwise, if it was available at all stores, more fans could get it than those few who are lucky enough to have stores that receive it near them.

If hasbro is producing them, they should have the brains to make a larger run and send it to more stores.

because not all stores want to carry that many SKU's. Target probably doesn't want the mid vehicles, large vehicles, battle in a box sets, SRO sets, comic packs, single packs, 5 packs, 7 packs, etc. that's a lot of product to carry for just one line. so they get the standard single packs, comic packs and mid-vehicles, and then the larger vehicles as exclusives.

wal mart get the standard single packs, comic packs and mid-vehicles, plus the battle in a box set.

TRU gets the standard single packs, comic packs and mid-vehicles, plus SRO sets and 5 packs.

etc.

etc.

this reduces the amount of product each store carries while simultaneously gets more product to the shelves? if not, the stores wouldn't carry all of those different products and they wouldn't get released. this is pretty easy stuff to comprehend and I don't see how that can be confusing. one store doesn't want to carry all of those SKU's, so the only way to get more product out is through exclusives.

So all these cool ORIGINAL vehicles Hasbro's releasing, are being made as a TARGET "exclusive", yet TARGET doesn't really want to carry such items (mid to large vehicles) because it's too much product to carry for just one line?

That doesn't seem to be true of other lines though, or is it just the poor selling lines (like G.I.Joe) that they make such stipulations on...even though the "exclusives" they get fly off the shelves day ONE? <_<

Why give the exclusive to a retail chain that's so HO HUM and persnickety about the line in the first place?

how many other toylines are getting that many SKU's at Target? ZERO. Star Wars has about 5 or 6 SKU's. Transformers only have about 8 SKU's broken up between 2 different lines. Indian Jones - 2 SKU's. if Target carried all of these products, you are looking at about 10 SKU's for one line. this has nothing to do about being picky about G.I. Joe, this is basic retail business.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind store exclusives at all. I have never ever had a problem getting any of the 25th store exclusive. In fact, I have seen much much more of it than I have sought.

The TRU 5-packs and Senior Officer Sets are almost peg warmers. TRU always orders plenty.

-You can easily check their systems at the front customer service (or even calling) to see if they have it. Just get the SKU#, its not difficult at all. You can find the SKU# from the customer service desk if you know what you are talking about. But its even easier to get it once the items have been listed at TRU.com. Just call them and say "can you please check this SKU# for me?" They can tell you which stores have them, if they are expecting them on the next shipments, or even if they are in the regional warehouse. EASY.

The Target exclusives were a little hard to find at first. But then later they were everywhere, even on clearance for 6.99.

With the DCPI#, you can call and check if they have them. Or get someone to bring some from the back. EASY.

Walmart sucks. Okay, they suck. No good system for checking them. All their employees are idiots, and only 1/3 speak english. And only a few of the employees have the ability to check the system for you. DIFFICULT.

However, walmart always orders plenty. If you can't find them soon, just wait a minute.

Besides, this super battle pack thing SUCKS. Its gonna be easy to get. I'll wait for it to go on clearance. I only want the trubble bubble

The only thing that pisses me off is the Online Exclusives. I HATE ordering figures online! Hate it! I like to be able to check the figures out in person for paint and stuff. And with 7 figures, thats a lof of chances for the paint to be messed up in your set.

Anyhow, as for exclusives in general. I don't mind it at retail stores. It helps items get released that wouldn't have a chance normally. This isn't the 80's, when the aisle could be full of GiJoe. Now stores only have a tiny space for it, and they don't want to get stuck with anything. Figures are low risk, but vehicles and sets can get stuck. Having an item as an exclusive helps ensure that it will selll, so stores are more willing to pick them up.

how many other toylines are getting that many SKU's at Target? ZERO. Star Wars has about 5 or 6 SKU's. Transformers only have about 8 SKU's broken up between 2 different lines. Indian Jones - 2 SKU's. if Target carried all of these products, you are looking at about 10 SKU's for one line. this has nothing to do about being picky about G.I. Joe, this is basic retail business.

..and this explains the advantage of them carrying an "exclusive" product of Hasbro's how?

They want to be the ONLY store that has it, but they don't always WANT it, might not even CARRY it, and if they do, they don't want a whole bunch of it clogging up the shelves?

Yeah, that's brilliant "basic retail business".

I don't mind store exclusives at all. I have never ever had a problem getting any of the 25th store exclusive. In fact, I have seen much much more of it than I have sought.

That's wonderful for yourself, but you DO realize your scenario is not indicative of everyone else's? it's those OTHER collectors (the ones less privileged via their location on the map) that are concerned about these wanted items going down as target (the worst of the bunch) exclusives?

..and this explains the advantage of them carrying an "exclusive" product of Hasbro's how?

They want to be the ONLY store that has it, but they don't always WANT it, might not even CARRY it, and if they do, they don't want a whole bunch of it clogging up the shelves?

what? you are attempting to confuse the issue in typical VH fashion because you don't get it. you can't honestly and rationally get to your conclusion by what I said. it has to do with reducing the amount of product they carry. that is a simple concept. not sure how you aren't following that.

they want to be the only stores that carry it - yes, for certain products. but they don't always want it? huh? of course they do, that is why they are carrying it. what are you attempting to infer? sure, Target doesn't want the SRO sets, that doesn't mean they don't want to carry Joe products, or that they want to carry every release exclusively, but simultaneously don't want too. there is no contradiction, but you want to dishonestly say there is because you have no ground to stand on if you don't. only you could attempt to pass of such a specious position. sorry, buddy, but it's true.

they don't want a whole bunch clogging the shelves? of course not, they order what they think they can sell. more basic business strategy.

if Target says we only want 7 G.I. Joe SKU's, and Hasbro has 10 different SKU's, Target picks up what they want and Hasbro offers the others to other stores. pretty simple there, and good business all around. you've never dealt with corporate buyers it is evident, and have no concept of retail strategy or execution, so you simply shouldn't comment on it as if you are an expert when it is clear you simply don't get it.

so, using Target as an example. they carry the three regular SKU's that every store does: singles, comics and mid vehicles. they are completing with every store for sales of these products. now, they say they want exclusives, so they aren't competing with other stores for these. that doesn't mean they want an infinite amount of exclusives, they only want two - large vehicles and the big battle set. they are a higher price, but absent of competition they are a feasible risk. you are attempting to say because they want a few exclusives, why don't hey want everything an exclusive? that's a flawed, stupid argument, but the answer is simple - risk. you don't want to get stuck with a bunch of product, so you have a set amount of SKU's you carry, and you carry it. it's simple.

The TRU 5-packs and Senior Officer Sets are almost peg warmers. TRU always orders plenty.

-You can easily check their systems at the front customer service (or even calling) to see if they have it. Just get the SKU#, its not difficult at all. You can find the SKU# from the customer service desk if you know what you are talking about. But its even easier to get it once the items have been listed at TRU.com. Just call them and say "can you please check this SKU# for me?" They can tell you which stores have them, if they are expecting them on the next shipments, or even if they are in the regional warehouse. EASY.

The Target exclusives were a little hard to find at first. But then later they were everywhere, even on clearance for 6.99.

With the DCPI#, you can call and check if they have them. Or get someone to bring some from the back. EASY.

Walmart sucks. Okay, they suck. No good system for checking them. All their employees are idiots, and only 1/3 speak english. And only a few of the employees have the ability to check the system for you. DIFFICULT.

However, walmart always orders plenty. If you can't find them soon, just wait a minute.

Besides, this super battle pack thing SUCKS. Its gonna be easy to get. I'll wait for it to go on clearance. I only want the trubble bubble

The only thing that pisses me off is the Online Exclusives. I HATE ordering figures online! Hate it! I like to be able to check the figures out in person for paint and stuff. And with 7 figures, thats a lof of chances for the paint to be messed up in your set.

Anyhow, as for exclusives in general. I don't mind it at retail stores. It helps items get released that wouldn't have a chance normally. This isn't the 80's, when the aisle could be full of GiJoe. Now stores only have a tiny space for it, and they don't want to get stuck with anything. Figures are low risk, but vehicles and sets can get stuck. Having an item as an exclusive helps ensure that it will selll, so stores are more willing to pick them up.

Yeah... basically everything that CLAM34 said was what I was going to say. The only thing is that I want the Super Battle Pack.

I understand that some of the big box stores are better in certain regions than in others. Here, Target is awesome. There has always been plenty of exclusives. So much so that a lot of them go on clearance. I used to work at Toys R Us and I know that in this particular region it's run by a clown so stores may have exclusives that sit in overstock for who knows how long. That wasn't the case when I lived in New Jersey. Walmart is horrible no matter where I go.

I don't think that there is a solution for the exclusives. If they didn't make any, we probably wouldn't see any vehicles or the number of figures that Hasbro are releasing.

what? you are attempting to confuse the issue in typical VH fashion because you don't get it.

No "fashion" here slappy, I'm just not gettin' it. Simple as that, and your attempts to explain don't exactly help. Sorry if that pisses ya off, but it's just what it is.

they want to be the only stores that carry it - yes, for certain products.

Ok...so it would SEEM that they want to be the only stores carrying these G.I.Joe vehicles, since that's where Hasbro is making them available? Is that right or wrong so far?

but they don't always want it? huh? of course they do, that is why they are carrying it. what are you attempting to infer? sure, Target doesn't want the SRO sets, that doesn't mean they don't want to carry Joe products, or that they want to carry every release exclusively, but simultaneously don't want too. there is no contradiction, but you want to dishonestly say there is because you have no ground to stand on if you don't. only you could attempt to pass of such a specious position. sorry, buddy, but it's true.

@hmmm@ What kind of paranoid pyscho babble is THAT? What are YOU reading into MY posts? For somebody that likes to lecture OTHERS on misinterpreting their comments, you sure seem to do the same damn thing. here's what you posted...

Target probably doesn't want the mid vehicles, large vehicles, battle in a box sets, SRO sets, comic packs, single packs, 5 packs, 7 packs, etc. that's a lot of product to carry for just one line. so they get the standard single packs, comic packs and mid-vehicles, and then the larger vehicles as exclusives.

In that very quote you contradict yourself, by stating target probably doesn't want the mid/large vehicles, so they get the mid ones and larger ones as exclusives?? Gee, sorry pal, but you're RIGHT, i don't get it because it makes absolutely no sense. maybe ya left out so major bits and parts to better explain yourself here, but don't just accuse people of deliberately being ignorant for the sake of being ignorant just to p!ss you wise all knowing folks off. That's stupid, typical....but still stupid.

they don't want a whole bunch clogging the shelves? of course not, they order what they think they can sell. more basic business strategy.

Doesn't make the argument FOR exclusives still, which seemed to be the main topic here. Some of us are fed up with the exclusive practice, and others appear to be defending it, and I've yet to read a very good one....defense of it that is.

you've never dealt with corporate buyers it is evident, and have no concept of retail strategy or execution, so you simply shouldn't comment on it as if you are an expert when it is clear you simply don't get it.

Right! It's not YOU..it's ME!

You're smart..I'm dumb.

you are attempting to say because they want a few exclusives, why don't hey want everything an exclusive? that's a flawed, stupid argument, but the answer is simple - risk. you don't want to get stuck with a bunch of product, so you have a set amount of SKU's you carry, and you carry it. it's simple.

Boy, that's really out there as well.

I'm only saying I HATE exclusives, for the very fact that they just end up being eBay fodder for scalpers, I NEVER seem to be able to find them, get them and that's annoying. Target is the worst, and i say this because the TRU exclusives I seem to have no trouble with, and if the VEHICLES were made TRU exclusives, i MIGHT have better luck at'em, maybe not, but that's just a theory. You stated so yourself, about all these apprehensions target may have about carrying certain amounts of product, so I commented on that "apprehension" in a disagreeable way. Doesn't make me ignorant to the business itself, just the whole idea of having EXCLUSIVES designated to such a whimpy ass carrier of G.I.Joe product, and that's apparently only in MY Targets as other Targets seem to be a little better about stocking a little more of these items. My situation is still that they dON'T seem to stock these items as well. What...you gonna call me a liar on that as well?

I'm more frustrated with hasbro for making these specific items the TARGET exclusives, seeing how they're the LARGER vehicle items, you stated they don't want so much of. Give them the damn 3-packs or something.

Where did i say anything about target wanting exclusives or them wanting EVERYTHING exclusive to them? I'm just trying to follow your reasoning, and when I don't get it, you just start in with the personal BS. Not the best angle or different approach now is it? You'd make a lousy teacher oh wise one of the retail industry.

Target probably doesn't want the mid vehicles, large vehicles, battle in a box sets, SRO sets, comic packs, single packs, 5 packs, 7 packs, etc. that's a lot of product to carry for just one line. so they get the standard single packs, comic packs and mid-vehicles, and then the larger vehicles as exclusives.

In that very quote you contradict yourself, by stating target probably doesn't want the mid/large vehicles, so they get the mid ones and larger ones as exclusives?? Gee, sorry pal, but you're RIGHT, i don't get it because it makes absolutely no sense. maybe ya left out so major bits and parts to better explain yourself here, but don't just accuse people of deliberately being ignorant for the sake of being ignorant just to p!ss you wise all knowing folks off. That's stupid, typical....but still stupid.

it's not a contradiction at all, and anyone with any sense of comprehension can extract the meaning, because I specify it at other parts of my post which you attempt to break up and only address individually as if they don't all combine to have meaning. Target doesn't want all of them, so they choose which they do. that was a simple premise.

what's the reason for exclusives -- reduce competition and risk. it's that simple. Hasbro benefits from selling the most product it can, but retailers don't necessarily want that much different product for one line. so Hasbro makes and sells a bunch of different product, so they benefit; each store carries only certain items, reducing competition and risk for those specific items, and they benefit. everyone is happy. if stores didn't carry exclusives, Hasbro wouldn't sell as much product, and they aren't happy. if every store did in fact buy every item they would be competing with each other for those sales and wouldn't be happy. pretty simple.

it's not a contradiction at all, and anyone with any sense of comprehension can extract the meaning, because I specify it at other parts of my post which you attempt to break up and only address individually as if they don't all combine to have meaning. Target doesn't want all of them, so they choose which they do. that was a simple premise.

Well what other vehicles are there, that target passed up on? I was of the comprehension that all the vehicles so far have been exactly that.....TARGET EXCLUSIVES? If were still discussing "exclusives" and why we love or hate'em, and my posted aggrevations with Target on the PARTICULAR items THEY'VE carried as exclusives, then i don't see where I've drifted astray here. You offered some convoluted explaination, I didn't just go "OOOOO THAT'S what it's all about" and you lost it...again.

Well one of the things Hasbro did say at the panel was they are upping production quantities for many of these products and will try to have them in stock at HasbroToyShop.

what's the reason for exclusives -- reduce competition and risk. it's that simple. Hasbro benefits from selling the most product it can, but retailers don't necessarily want that much different product for one line. so Hasbro makes and sells a bunch of different product, so they benefit; each store carries only certain items, reducing competition and risk for those specific items, and they benefit. everyone is happy. if stores didn't carry exclusives, Hasbro wouldn't sell as much product, and they aren't happy. if every store did in fact buy every item they would be competing with each other for those sales and wouldn't be happy. pretty simple.

In my lack of retail industry knowledge, i would have suggested that the reason for "exclusives" was to draw in shoppers from the other particular chains. If TRU carried EVERY G.I.Joe item, I might not have any reason to go into the toy aisles of a Target or Walmart, but since this practice of creating special exclusives for each chain does exists, I have to do just that to get the items I seek. Their hopes are that while I'm THERE getting these items, I'll pick up a few other items I need, to save traveling time and costs, and maybe in the end, think THEIR store has more of the stuff (all stuff) I need and want, and therfore I might become a REGULAR shopper there, instead of just a casual, only on special occasions, when looking for their G.I.Joe exclusives....shopper?

That probably makes more sense than the "reduce competition & risk" explaination. At least i think so. ^_^

Well one of the things Hasbro did say at the panel was they are upping production quantities for many of these products and will try to have them in stock at HasbroToyShop.

That would certainly HELP!

That would certainly HELP!

Exactly!

The problem is that when Hasbro makes exclusives, they think this means they can short shrift supply. This is not the case. Just because only one store sells it does not mean a smaller volume will be sold, only the point of sale changes.

If they made it so all the stores in the chain actually GOT the exclusives, and that they got large enough quantities to satisfy demand, then no one would have problems with the occassional exclusive.

The problem is the supply made available.

Also the problem is the number of exclusives - one every few months is OK, but at this convention every single new figure they've shown to the fans is - guess what - AN EXCLUSIVE.

We've known about all the general releases since before the convention.

JoeCon 2008 - also known as ExclusiveCon.

I've now added a poll to the topic - please vote.

I guess I would say rarely. Sometimes it works and you can find them but sometimes you can't. About half the exclusive from anything I collect I want the other half I don't. Usually what I want I can't find and what I don't want I do find.

I voted only rarely as well.

I understand the concept behind issuing exclusives to all the different retail chains from a business standpoint. From a BUYERS standpoint, I think with certain items (like collectibles) it brings about some issues and frustration. Therefore, it's not exactly always a "GOOD" thing, to find out certain items will be exclusives, especially in chains that are known to be skittish on them, or picky about to what extent they stock them, as though a LARGE toy remaining on the shelf for more than a month or two is a major set back to the overall profit gains, as though they'd have you think each and every item (from a music CD, DVD or coffee maker) flys off the shelf within mere weeks of being placed upon it, so the same should be expected of a TOY.

I have a question...

Does hasbro OFFER these items up for bid on who gets them as an exclusive, or does the retailer REQUEST such items be made as an exclusive to them? Either way, doesn't it seem weird that the retailer seems to desire these items, (wants them or requests them) as though they KNOW they'll attract business specifically FOR them, yet act all concerned about the possiblity of them NOT selling well enough? They seem to think going in...they will, that's why they make them exclusives, but when it comes time to stock up on the stuff, they go lite and cautious?

I do think it lets us get product we wouldn't get any other way, but it is a frustration. But rather than continue to add to the topic at hand, all of you who are frustrated with the exclusives, how about this? i barely see any of the standard product here for some reason! THey wouldn't bother me if the online stores carried them with enough quantity to please us collectors.

i had to go with yes. or there things we wouldn't of got.

VH

I have a question...

Does hasbro OFFER these items up for bid on who gets them as an exclusive, or does the retailer REQUEST such items be made as an exclusive to them? Either way, doesn't it seem weird that the retailer seems to desire these items, (wants them or requests them) as though they KNOW they'll attract business specifically FOR them, yet act all concerned about the possiblity of them NOT selling well enough? They seem to think going in...they will, that's why they make them exclusives, but when it comes time to stock up on the stuff, they go lite and cautious?

yes they do. and your right the only ones who over load is TRU & target.

It's too bad that TRU is pretty much the ONLY toy store left out there.

If we still had Childrens Palace and KB's, Hasbro could spread the "exclusives" out amongst them, instead of going thru Target. Target (my local Targets anyway) have pretty pathetic toy aisles. A lot of good it did me for Target to get the vehicles coming out as THEIR exclusives. I still didn't get them, so i guess I'm missing the benefit of having them...exclusives that is?

Maybe they should just call them ELUSIVES? @smilepunch@

It's too bad that TRU is pretty much the ONLY toy store left out there.

If we still had Childrens Palace and KB's, Hasbro could spread the "exclusives" out amongst them, instead of going thru Target. Target (my local Targets anyway) have pretty pathetic toy aisles. A lot of good it did me for Target to get the vehicles coming out as THEIR exclusives. I still didn't get them, so i guess I'm missing the benefit of having them?

Don't forget FAO Schwarz!

I guess KB stores are no longer a force that gets exclusives. I think there's only one left in my state. Children's Palace was the greatest toy store of them all!

Like I said, I'd rather have my local Targets carry exclusives. With the way that Toys R Us stores are run in this region, it's best that they don't have them. I mean, if you are patient and wait for them to clean out their overstocks, hoping that in 6 to 8 months they will put them out on the floor or maybe even on Clearance... yeah, it's not so bad. It was really frustrating while working there and it's even more frustrating trying to shop there.

You offered some convoluted explaination, I didn't just go "OOOOO THAT'S what it's all about" and you lost it...again.

I didn't lose it at all, sometimes to get through to you I just have to speak very slowly and clearly. and it wasn't convoluted, you just made it that way.

who knows how many other items Target passed on. Buyers are very picky, and not typically very rationale, I assure you. they have an arbitrary amount of product they want to carry based on their own preference, they get paid very well for that preference and are rather adverse at taking risks on products that could jeopardize that.

You offered some convoluted explaination, I didn't just go "OOOOO THAT'S what it's all about" and you lost it...again.

I didn't lose it at all, sometimes to get through to you I just have to speak very slowly and clearly. and it wasn't convoluted, you just made it that way.

That may be so, but seeing how I'm not within EARshot of your slow speaking voice, I have to rely on how well that translates from your mouth, to your fingers, into words on a message board. Gotta remember I'm READING here. @smilepunch@

who knows how many other items Target passed on. Buyers are very picky, and not typically very rationale, I assure you. they have an arbitrary amount of product they want to carry based on their own preference, they get paid very well for that preference and are rather adverse at taking risks on products that could jeopardize that.

I think the bottom line here, is that I've not been able to find these Target exclusives (for whatever various and annoying reason) and therefore I'm pretty frustrated by it and when I see where there's MORE coming....I get a little pissy. Targets in this neck of the woods.....SUCK!!!

Regardless of WHY they make certain items exclusives (and I do understand it) the ones that get tossed over yonder Targets way, pretty much spells ZERO chance of getting (finding) it for me. That's really all I was carrying on about. I think we got just a little too technical on it, but I'm willing to just concede and move on to a BETTER battle of...."words? ;)

No local Target. Missed out on last Target exclusives. Wish I could lock a missle onto Target. They'd be easy to hit with those bullseyes on them. If Cobra was smart they'd lock a nuclear missle onto every Target in the U.S.

Exclusives can be good. I've never had any trouble with Target ones. It's Wal-Mart, K-mart, and TRU that have given me fits...and the K-mart and TRU ones are only cause the nearest of those stores are so far away. They just don't bother sending them to my local Wal-Marts, so I never get them. I'm actually the least worried about the Internet ones cause if HTS has them I should be able to get them easy.

But Exclusives can go into overkill and Hasbro is known for that. I was big into SW in the mid to late 90s and it got real bad there. You'd have like 3-4 From Wal-Mart, 3-4 for Traget, 2 at K-mart, 5-6 at TRU, another at Service Merchandise, a couple more from FAO, and then a few more from KB and it just became too much for a fan of limited means and travel ability to handle. I had to give it up..I didn't want too. I wanted all of those figures, but it just wasn't going to happen. I don't really want to see that happen to Joes cause I love this line.

The question isn't really fair. It would be more fair to ask would you rather get something as an exclusive or not at all? I don't know the exact process a store goes through to get something exclusive but my guess is if Hasbro had an opportunity to put it out at all stores they would do that cause it would mean more money for them.

Again I can't say with certainty but my guess is Hasbro comes up with the item and says we have to be able to sell this many of that item to make it justifiable for us to make it. Then they stick it out there and see who is willing to buy it. If more then one store is willing to buy enough then the item prob gets released as a general release. When that doesn't happen then they have to try and see if they can work a deal with one specific chain to sell it exclusively.

From the stores POV i'm sure they look at it from the view point of how many they think they can sell, and might decide if more than one chain carries it they won't be able to sell enough to make it worthwhile.

When it comes down to it I think you see so many exclusives with toys because it's whats needed to keep them remotely profitable for the parties involved. If data indicated to these companies there was enough demand so that all chains could carry the item with a resonable expectation that all chains could sell enough of them to make a profit then Im sure Hasbro would have no problem selling to everyone. I mean truth be told the whole exclusive thing really is more a sales gimmick then anything to try and add value to the item for the secondary market and to just try and inflate the demand making people think it's hard to get so they must go into that store every day till they find it. If say Wal-Mart only carried a specific brand of vacum cleaner cause Target didnt want to carry it cause they didnt think it would sell well because Wal-Marts where already selling it, do you honestly think Wal-Mart would market it as an exclusive collectors item Vacum????

Unfortunetly the demographic for this kind of product is small, like it or not compared to most things out there for sale there just isn't the numbers for boys action figures and there is no getting around that. So if you want any shot of getting these larger shelf hogging expensive items at retail, then you have to except the fact that being released as an exclusive is the primary way of it getting released, and if you say well I'd rather not see it released at all then your not gonna find it either way so you have nothing to complain about.

And just to get off topic a little, if you don't like how things are then instead of being negative all the time and complaining, how about taking steps to try and change it? Start looking for ways to help grow the hobby. For instance even if you think the movie will suck, maybe you should look at it as a way to bring in new people to the hobby that otherwise GIjoe could never reach. Instead of complaining that SDCC gets exclusives and product debuts that JoeCon didn't look at it as a way to attract new people who might not have been a Joe Fan till they walked into Comic Con hoping to see the new Dark Knight trailer but instead seeing the new Joe stuff there and getting hooked. Go out an network with your fellow collectors, start local groups and then promote it not just to fellow die hard joe fans but to casual fans as well. Talk up the movie to your co-worker who might think your a dork at first, at one time I bet they were Joe fans same as you.

I don't mean to get all preachy and certainly there is nothing wrong with discussing the positives and the negatives of anything, but don't let the negative or the feeling that this is just your little niche and newcommers aren't wanted kill the hobby, because anything that doesn't grow ends up dead.

You're points are well thought out and valid JayC, but I find it unlikely that stores would choose not to carry Joe figures if they had the chance right now. Although they are limited market, they are flying off the shelves everywhere as far as I can tell. Ok, there are a few pegwarmers, but even those are usually gone within a few weeks.

If the stores are worried about how many they can sell, just order a few test cases for some major stores, and if they sell, order more for more stores, and repeat cycle.

My problem is that Hasbro appears to dictate that they will only release a limited run to a single chain making it hard for a collector, such as those on these boards, to find them, especially if they do not live near a Target (for example) or the nearest Target does not get that specific wave.

Its just unfair. Both Hasbro and the stores could maximize profit by distributing a smaller number to individual stores, but supplying more stores. IMO.