DC Rant, anyone who enjoyed the Hulk and cried a little because it was good

Superpowers1980

Ok, where to begin? Here is a list of things that are annoying me on the DC front. DC/Warner Bros better get their acts together because they are blowing chances and the time is PAST DUE.

DC Universe Classics - Ok, even to this day I have yet to see them on the shelves at any Target store in the surrounding Philadelphia area. One TRU got 3 shipments and that was all she wrote. Why can't these be stocked as good as the first wave, secondly when the flip is the Jason version coming out? Its isane that this hasn't happened yet considering Wave 3 is supposed to be coming out in July. Get on the ball Mattel

Marvel movies - I don't like every Marvel movie but I did enjoy the heck out of Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk. Marvel now has plans to roll out another Spider-Man and Hulk sequel plus a Captain America, Thor, Namor, Ant-Man (yes him of all people) movies all with expectations of an Avengers movie in the near, very NEAR FUTURE. and some others while the only thing on the horizon is the Dark Knight which I am not expecting much, I don't care for BB, and Superman Returns is an abomination to everything Superman is. Meanwhile Warner cancelled plans for a live action Wonder Woman movie, I haven't heard anything about the Captain Marvel movie (the Rock would of been a great Black Adam), the JLA movie has been cancelled, I mean come on, Marvel is chugging movies out every second and Warner Bros is sitting in the corner with their fingers up their @#$%. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, just modernize the stories, that is what Marvel did. DC started all this and its time for the true Legends to be on the screen in proper fashion.

Don't forget about the Green Arrow going to prison and confronting the people he put in there a la Batman and Punisher movie. That sounds like a good concept, even if it's been used several times before.

Marvel movies - I don't like every Marvel movie but I did enjoy the heck out of Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk. Marvel now has plans to roll out another Spider-Man and Hulk sequel plus a Captain America, Thor, Namor, Ant-Man (yes him of all people) movies all with expectations of an Avengers movie in the near, very NEAR FUTURE. and some others while the only thing on the horizon is the Dark Knight which I am not expecting much, I don't care for BB, and Superman Returns is an abomination to everything Superman is. Meanwhile Warner cancelled plans for a live action Wonder Woman movie, I haven't heard anything about the Captain Marvel movie (the Rock would of been a great Black Adam), the JLA movie has been cancelled, I mean come on, Marvel is chugging movies out every second and Warner Bros is sitting in the corner with their fingers up their @#$%. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, just modernize the stories, that is what Marvel did. DC started all this and its time for the true Legends to be on the screen in proper fashion.

Some things to consider:

Of all those Marvel movies mentioned, ALL of them have been in development or at least discussed for about a decade now. Examples can be found in trade, toy, hobby/fan magazines/articles etc throughout that time........yes, even Ant-Man.

These properties are political hot potatoes within the studios, mostly because the represent a HUGE payday for anyone that helms the project. That that end, major players vie for the slot, and there's a LOT of political wrangling involved.

The first Batman movie was option in 1979, a full decade before it debuted in the theatres. Spiderman was in the works for 15 years before it debuted, and was shelved about a half dozen times in that timespan.

Superman Returns went through many incarnations and handlers for an equal amount of time with some truly bizarre plans afoot for the character, until we got the Bryan Singer film. Although flawed, it was still the best interpretation of all those proposed.

Every time a fan says " just hand the thing to someone and get it made, they overlook that someone out there at the studios wants THEIR name on it, instead of someone else's. That vetting process has to be undertaken, because the winner is the one who makes the movie.

Marvel's process, right now, is a bit more clear cut--and probably somewhat less politicized because they are trying to get the brand out there first and foremost.

None of those movies you mentioned as being cancelled, truly are. They've been shelved until more development can be done on them, and until someone can jump in who Warner Bros. believes can make them work. Rest assured, properties like Wonder Woman are not sitting idle. Scripts are being written, ideas being worked on.......they just need to coalesce.

I'll give you an example:

You've heard of the Thor animated series, right?

No?

Well, of course not............its never been made! But it HAS been worked on. Colleagues of mine were designing such a show years back, there was money tossed in to get ideas down on paper. But like so many movie and TV projects........it never gelled. It happens.

These shows...........in some form................eventually, WILL happen.

Give it time, because it will take time.

Also worth noting: All Marvel Studios does is produce Superhero movies based on Marvel properties (so far).

Warner Brothers makes all different kinds of movies, not just Superhero movies. They may have mega-bucks, but there's still only so much to go around. It may very well be more profitable for Warner Brothers to put out 5 or 6 "modest" hits than it is to put out one "mega" movie. Particularly when their most recent efforts have been (modest) hit-and-miss (Batman Begins did decently, but hardly set the box office on fire, and Superman Returns was a disappointment no matter how you slice it).

Warner Brothers may have the (possibly accurate) perception that DC's "barely-out-of-the-silver-age" superheros that aren't named "Batman" just don't hook the public the way Marvel's (usually) more "human" and "modern" heroes do.

I've also got to wonder...when on earth are people going to realize that it's the retailers that have far more control over "distribution" than the manufacturers? If your local TRUs and Targets aren't getting DCUC figures (recent semi-recall notwithstanding) you need to complain to TRU and Target, not to Mattel.

Arrow makes some good points. I think DC doesn't want to make a lot of the same mistakes Marvel did. I think DC learned a lot from the "Superman Returns" disaster (mainly don't hire a director who gonna offer the lead to who ever good in bed).

Oh don't pretend like you didn't know. Any who, DC IMO want to set the bar a lil higher.

Arrow makes some good points. I think DC doesn't want to make a lot of the same mistakes Marvel did. I think DC learned a lot from the "Superman Returns" disaster (mainly don't hire a director who gonna offer the lead to who ever good in bed).

Oh don't pretend like you didn't know. Any who, DC IMO want to set the bar a lil higher.

singer and roth?......i can believe it. anyway.... movies take time, and theres alot to consider when choosing a movie to make. i dont know why people dont understand that.

I gotta hand it to Marvel. As much as I hate to admit it, they seem to be the 1st to use a concept I dreamed up about 5years ago. you know, to start tieing in major motion pics to eventualy become (in Marvel's case) Avengers.

I was realy hoping DC would be the 1st to do this, but I've learned that being 1st is'nt what's most important. But I do hope DC gets on the ball soon, I wanna see WW, GL, Flash, & heck even another superman movie. ALL with "end credit easter eggs" that lead up to a Justice League movie.

Oh yeah, & pooda not only was it Singer & Roth, but also thoes two lil "under grad flim student" he had the nerve to hire & call "screen writers". I mean COME ON, the whole movie was nothing but a bad re-hash of the 1st Superman movie.

Lex attempting to desatroy the continental United States so he can have land galore! Some "busty bimbo" at his side that eventualy crosses him to help Superman? Sounding a lil familiar yet??? Hell, I was waiting for him to scream MS. TESSMOCKER!!!!!!!!

1st - Credit goes to Marvel Studios for doing something I have waited years for...

they are just making great comic movies but they are establishing the Marvel Universe in motion picture form using the Avengers and Captain America as their core. Each movie is like picking up another issue as it will tie together with a BANG!

2nd - lest we forget the first Hulk as well as Spiderman 3 - I know I want to...

those were not put out by Marvel Studios. And after many films, some good and some horrible, using Marvel properties did Marvel Comics make the films (in essence) themselves.

as for DC, Dark Knight looks to be a step in the right direction and there was no guarentee that JLA would have been worth of our hard earned cash. One reason, rumors of different casting for Batman and Superman - no established universe, just another movie featuring alot of DC characters in one place... anyone remember Justice League America tv pilot?

To tell a good story should be the main focus, Marvel is gearing up for the story of one of it's greatest and most recognizable characters in Captain America with a slow build including "easter eggs" in other films and showing that they want to establish a continuity among their films. It's taken alot of films (and more than a few flops) but they are finally getting there.

DC needs to pick a central character and build towards the Justice League, maybe even do a WW2 epic with the Justice Society to help establish their universe.

And maybe DC Exects and creative are working on something to compete with their rival, and maybe the scripts are beeing re-re-written as I type...

(somebody call WAID, MORRISON, JOHNS, even BUSIEK and see if they have any spare time)

I've waited alot of years for one company to finally get it right and I hope the other isn't too far behind.

and you know what else grides my gears, when I can't find the droids I'm looking for.

As much as I hate to admit it, they seem to be the 1st to use a concept I dreamed up about 5years ago. you know, to start tieing in major motion pics to eventualy become (in Marvel's case) Avengers. I was realy hoping DC would be the 1st to do this.

Me too. Since we do already know Warner owns the rights for EVERY DC character, anybody could think it could be quite easy to lead them to the big screen, but somehow, they have managed to screw it up over the years. (Fortunately, that Pitof's "Catwoman" movie has been wiped out from our memories, but they missed a really cool chance to expand Batman's universe at the movies). I've been wondering myself what's wrong... perhaps some execs think about a superhero flick titled "Green Lantern" or "Green Arrow" sounds too silly to audiences (at these days?), but in the meanwhile, some other guys with guts took the risk with a character named "Silver Surfer", attached to a just plain bad movie like "Fantastic Four" indeed is, and now, they' ve just opening a new market for another major motion picture for such a classic comic character in the works.

I'm a bit pessimistic about the future of DC at movies because even if they start right now to fix their mess, It will take years of trial and error to establish a "DC universe". Nolan's Batman movies are a huge landmark for the genre, but what works for Batman doesn't fit to another iconic DC characters. How do you insert an interplanetary plot involving alien Green Lantern corps into a realistic-driven drama about a crimefighter dressed as a bat? Warner should reboot Superman, and make it in the way to start a whole series of superhero movies linked to each other. Now that's would be really cool, but it won't happen before the next 10 years...

Well. I enjoy Marvel movies a lot, too. Far better than a consolation prize, these guys have made some genuinely entertaining flicks.

Some things to consider:

Of all those Marvel movies mentioned, ALL of them have been in development or at least discussed for about a decade now. Examples can be found in trade, toy, hobby/fan magazines/articles etc throughout that time........yes, even Ant-Man.

I remember first hearing about a bunch of Marvel Films from the old Comic Scene magazine. This was way back before Wizard even existed. So yea, the Marvel films have been in the planning stages forever.

Incredible Hulk sucked. Thats all I have to say.

But Batman Begins was the best superhero movie of all time.

And Iron Man, the first Blade, X2, the first Spider-Man, all pretty good. But they're not Batman begins.

DC isn't so hard off in my opinion.