G.I.Joe: Rise Of Cobra

JayC

Its the first movie it should just be titled GI Joe

I agree, like Transformers.

I agree, like Transformer.

It doesn't matter. I mean, Cobra will rise. I'd have a problem if it were called "The Return of Cobra" or "Revenge of the Fluffies"

Then again I don't care what they call it as long as the movie doesn't stink

It doesn't matter. I mean, Cobra will rise. I'd have a problem if it were called "The Return of Cobra" or "Revenge of the Fluffies"

Exactly, complaining about the title is so trivial, its a fine title.

Unless it's terrible, like "The Phantom Menace" or "Attack of the Clones". That's not a far cry from "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Cheesy.

This, however, isn't. I like it a lot, and it also suggests a sequel or two!

Well not sure if this is what the studio had in mind but I think it is a good indicator to general audiences that this isn't about the 12" Joes. Some of those older fans might be thinking this will be a realistic war movie based on the joes of the 60's and 70's. The "rise of cobra" part of the title pretty much lets everyone know this is about the joes from the 80's.

Well not sure if this is what the studio had in mind but I think it is a good indicator to general audiences that this isn't about the 12" Joes. Some of those older fans might be thinking this will be a realistic war movie based on the joes of the 60's and 70's. The "rise of cobra" part of the title pretty much lets everyone know this is about the joes from the 80's.

The issue of just which era of GIJOE this will be based on was dealt with right at the start, the RAH era has the strongest story potential anyways, as it has the most defined conflicts and characters.

As far as the subtitle goes, adding it says one thing: the intent to make this a franchise--meaning more movies are likely coming, or being planned for.

Woah here

I wasn't complaining about the title so don't not give me this trivial crap

We should be complaining less about the title and asking why Duke has a goatee o_O

It's so that, when the toys come out, we don't get him confused with Hawk. :P

It should be called GiJoe - Rise of Lord Zed

huh? oh, that was power rangers... right... easily confused from what I have seen so far.

Great! There going to focus on Cobra Commanders attempt to fortify his troops by way of v!agra injections for them ALL!

THE RISE OF COBRA!!

@firedevil@

Woah here

I wasn't complaining about the title so don't not give me this trivial crap

Exactly, the title doesn't bother me either. I'm just saying the brand should be able to stand with just "G.I. Joe" like Transformers and the Marvel movies have.

The title is very appropriate.

Arrow, not everyone has internet access to know this.

I'm very happy to discount all of the opinions of the people who think this movie will be terrible just because it's not an exact replication of RAH. :) I'm avoiding as much movie-give-aways as possible so that I'm suprised going into the movie, the same way I was with TF. The only difference is that I can't avoid seeing headlines here like I was able to do with Transformers.

-Kevin

The title is very appropriate.

Arrow, not everyone has internet access to know this.

Well, the numbers of dedicated " old-school" GIJOE fans isn't that large, and once those ads hit, it'll become pretty clear. Choosing RAH was just common sense for a GIJOE movie anyway......I mean not much of today's audience would care if it was about the Adventure Team versus the Intruders....

I think we already knew this as we've seen the promo shots of Snake Eyes, Duke, and Scarlett; not Kung Fu grip GI Joe and Bullet Man.

And I also think it should be simply titled: Gi Joe. Let the sequel be titled Rise of Cobra.

"Rise Of Cobra" is not only the title but the answer to many questions/complaints people will have about this film.

What questions/complaints are those?

Everyone knew to expect an "origin" movie.

As long as this isn't X-Joe: The Rise of Cobra's Mutant Liberation Front @firedevil@

I think we already knew this as we've seen the promo shots of Snake Eyes, Duke, and Scarlett; not Kung Fu grip GI Joe and Bullet Man.

I think you are missing my point... Of course WE knew this was going to be RAH. But have you ever noticed that when people crack jokes about GI Joe on sitcoms or they are made referance to in movie's or talked about on documentaries, they are almost always refering to the 12" Joes? Yes hearing about RAH is BECOMING more common and after this movie I'm sure RAH will be much more widly thought of in association with GI Joe, but I think when MOST non toy collectors and people over the age of 30 (or 35 or so) hear GI Joe, the Barbie Doll size army men is what comes to mind. I think the studio adding "The Rise of Cobra" to the title pretty much declairs to the world that this isn't about Army Fatigue Ken. When the general audiance sees the title "GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra" I think a little thing will click in their heads that says "Oh yeah. I remember that cartoon from the 80's that had that bad guy with the pillow case on his head that talked like a snake". And I think that is what the studio was going for here.

I agree. The title sounds fine.

"Rise Of Cobra" is not only the title but the answer to many questions/complaints people will have about this film.

And just like Transformers the complaints will roll in in waves.

I think a little thing will click in their heads that says "Oh yeah. I remember that cartoon from the 80's that had that bad guy with the pillow case on his head that talked like a snake".

Haha, that's funny. And I see your point too.

And I also think it should be simply titled: Gi Joe. Let the sequel be titled Rise of Cobra.

Wouldn't the second movie be a little late for that? I mean, the second one would be "Revenge of Cobra" ...and we've had that.

As others have noted, the obvious intent is to build a franchise. The title lets people know going in that this is only the beginning (cue creepy laughter and dramatic music).

Aside from instantly associating the title with RAH and denoting it as an origin movie, it'll allow the creative team to get away with leaving lingering plot points and possible cliffhangers (even unintentional ones). It lets the viewer know that they already have future plans and won't be rushing to neatly wrap everything up in 90-120 minutes and THEN worrying about what to do in the next movie- see the Matrix for a prime example of this.

Personally, I'd prefer that kind of assurance going into the movie. It shows that the studio has faith in the property rather than taking a 'wait and see' approach. Even if the movie fails and the lingering stuff never pans out, I can take comfort in the fact that they were willing to take the chance.