Bad Customer Service from Night_Vipers_Joes

joenubb

Hey gang. I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore GI Joe fan, I've been playing with 'em since 1982 when my folks bought me some for Christmas that year. I've been hooked ever since.

About five years ago I really began collecting everything I didn't have. Figures, missing accessories, vehicles, uncut card backs, boxes, blueprints, and any kind of inserts; you name it I was after it. Besides buying collections from old friends, scouring flea markets, and buying from second hand shops, the majority of stuff I was getting off of Ebay. I have always had good experiences with Ebay and never a problem with any seller until recently.

Night_Vipers_Joes is a seller on Ebay that I have bought from before and have received positive feedback from consecutively. For some reason however, they have decided to block me from bidding on their items and haven't responded to my asking why. I've been blocked since late 2006 and have never pushed the issue because the items I was interested in were items I could do without, but recently they had an auction for a 1983 JUMP with silver pads Grand Slam plus the original box and instructions. Oh man, I would have loved to add that to my collection, a centerpiece to an already impressive collection. I contacted the seller five times with little help on their end. They responded once in nine days and claimed that I was put on their auto block list for not paying for an item. I have always paid for my items and after responding to their accusation, they never responded in kind.

The auction ended and I was unable to bid. I wrote them a firm email expressing my dismay, but even that has not been responded to. What I'm doing by starting this topic is to not only vent my frustration, but to let other Ebayers know of the poor customer service from this Ebay seller.

For whatever reason he blocked you, there is no "bad customer service" involved here. If you did not purchase anything, and he has not sold anything to you then there is no "bad service" per se'.

Ebay is a joke, and the rules and allowances are a disaster of customer service .

Go somewhere else, ebay will never help you.

and obviously the seller is a D-bag if he wont respond to customer emails. everyone

else should take this as a warning sign.

I only use ebay when there is something that I can't find locally or from the community of Joe Collectors. Usually there's someone around that's willing to help you out. There's a guy a couple miles from me that buys and sells old Joes at fair prices. If anyone is looking for something, let me know and I'll see if he's got it.

For whatever reason he blocked you, there is no "bad customer service" involved here. If you did not purchase anything, and he has not sold anything to you then there is no "bad service" per se'.

I disagree. I was a potential customer willing to spend big bucks on their auctions. So not only would they have gotten my business on that item, it would have encouraged me to possibly purchase more. Now they won't get any of my business. So yes, it was bad customer service on their part. And considering I spent a few hundred dollars with them a few years ago, you'd think they'd want my repeat business.

I disagree. I was a potential customer willing to spend big bucks on their auctions. So not only would they have gotten my business on that item, it would have encouraged me to possibly purchase more. Now they won't get any of my business. So yes, it was bad customer service on their part. And considering I spent a few hundred dollars with them a few years ago, you'd think they'd want my repeat business.

But they are not OBLIGATED to deal with you, repeat business or not. Customers are entitled ONLY when a contract is made, outside of that its just wishful thinking on the part of a customer seeking to buy from some who does not want to sell. Every contract entered into is a new agreement, starting over and if the seller does not want to extend terms to the buyer there's nothing the buyer can do except shop somewhere else.

These folks do not deserve a "bad customer service" label because you have no active ongoing service engaged with them. They would deserve it if you had a current transaction with monies exchanged, but that is not the case here.

They just do not want your business.........deal with it and move on. There's other parties to buy from out there.

Hey gang. I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore GI Joe fan, I've been playing with 'em since 1982 when my folks bought me some for Christmas that year. I've been hooked ever since.

Have we perhaps found Evilstar's slightly more sane twin brother? @smilepunch@

I'm pretty sure that was done intentionally for goold ol' ES's sake ;)

I'm just glad I read through the responses FIRST before posting a reply of my own, because it would have been, damn near, an exact duplicate of KD's post! @lol@

I'm just glad I read through the responses FIRST before posting a reply of my own, because it would have been, damn near, an exact duplicate of KD's post! @lol@

Haha you guys! That only counts if I use the word 'totally' eight times within one sentence. Oh, and if Joenubb refers to himself in the third person...whoops. :P

No, but seriously...it's really frustrating that they wouldn't reply to my legitimate complaint. And like I said before, I have spent hundreds of dollars on this seller before, you'd think they'd want my return business.

ARROW, no offense since you've always seem cool, don't give me this nonsense that it's their choice to do business with me. I know that already. And I don't know how often you check to find a 1983 JUMP with silver pad Grand Slam box, they don't come around that often. I am frustrated with the fact that they would have an Ebay store and neglect to maintain customer service. Sorry nay sayers, but customer service is a part of being in business, even on a little Ebay store.

I kind of have to agree with Joenubb on this one.

While it's not necessarily bad customer service, it's still not good business to turn good customers away under false accusations, and then when they question it, ignoring them altogether. If a business in a smaller community were to do something like that, once word got out, it could be very problematic in trying to keep a good reputation within that community.

No Pit Viper, they left me eight positive feedbacks, five of which were consecutive. They said I was on their auto block list because I didn't pay for an item which I don't know how because I have always paid for things I have won on Ebay. Oh well, does anyone have a 1983 JUMP with silver pads Grand Slam box they want to get rid of?

Does anyone even have a 1983 silver pads Grand Slam box?

No Pit Viper, they left me eight positive feedbacks, five of which were consecutive. They said I was on their auto block list because I didn't pay for an item which I don't know how because I have always paid for things I have won on Ebay. Oh well, does anyone have a 1983 JUMP with silver pads Grand Slam box they want to get rid of?

Does anyone even have a 1983 silver pads Grand Slam box?

Oh, I was under the impression that they had not replied to your emails. The fact that they gave you positives doesn't mean anything though as I was suggesting they were left as to avoid getting a negative in retaliation.

joenubb--understand where I'm coming from here.

One thing to consider is that the item you are seeking can be found. Its a given.

It might take work, but you'll find it, and from someone who wants to deal with it.

Sure, it sucks that a outfit that you dealt with in the past no longer wants to deal with you......probably because of a mistaken perception about a deal between you. There's a remote chance they could be right.

Even if they are not, why bad-mouth them if you've not lost anything?

If they failed to deliver something you paid for.......yea, slag them. If they sent you something that was not what was agreed upon and refused to make good..........yea, bad mouth them.

But just because they do not want to play ball they deserve bad press??

Damn, why go into business at all in that kind of climate? They could never come out ahead.

The best thing to do here is to chalk it up as a regret and move on.

I haven't sold Joes on Ebay for seven months so probably not, but who knows.

ARROW- I wouldn't call it bad mouthing them, I am stating my case in a mature manner. I dealt with them in the past and the transaction was fine. No trash talking on this end. Yes, everyone will be okay in the long run, I'm just letting other collectors know of my experience. Over the last two and a half years I have contacted them at various times to rectify the problem and have never been responded to. It wasn't until this rare collectible surfaced that I made a real attempt at contact.

And to go into business is to deal with good and bad press. They have good feedback, I'm not telling anything other than what happened. And again, if you go into business at all you should be in it to make money and satisfy customers, both potential and actual.

Not to rain on Joenubb's parade (or be a jerk), but to be fair, we don't know the "other side of the story" All we know is what he says happened.

You have to remember one of the key things about finding stuff online (particuarlly on ebay, but generally speaking). If your patient, there is ALWAYS another chance.

i dont know the story.. but I would say its bad customer service regardless of if he is an actual bidder or not. (And he was a prior customer)

If I walk into Macy's and grab something off the rack, take it to the register... they can just say "no, we dont want your business," and not answer my questions why? WOuldn't THAT be poor customer service? @lol@

Wow this seems to be going around. I ordered 2 sideshow LOTR toys from titantoys.com on May 29. It said it would take 48 hours to ship. I waited a week and no response so I e-mailed them. I got a response the very next morning and he said he would look into it, but I have not heard back from them to this day. Despite many attempts to e-mail them, and they were decent e-mails no rage or harshness. So yeah ignoring customers must be the thing to do now. Has anyone ever heard of this company? Hopefully you will get a response soon

If I walk into Macy's and grab something off the rack, take it to the register... they can just say "no, we dont want your business," and not answer my questions why? WOuldn't THAT be poor customer service? icon_lol.gif

No, actually, it wouldn't. They just do not want your business.

Why not reverse this: If they came to YOU, and you did not want to buy--does that make you a lousy customer?

Of course not, you are just exercising your choice not to buy, just as they are exercising their choice not to sell. If there's no obligation upon you, then why should there be any upon them?

IMO, ONLY when both parties have entered into a mutual contract and one side doesn't live up to their end, then can either one sling the epithets around. It doesn't matter if you are a repeat customer, because every time you buy its considered a new contract and a completely new venture. Any prior relationship being considered is solely up to the consent of both parties, and if one side falls out of favour........tough beans. Its their right not to enter into a transaction for whatever reason.

Here's a good example: I wanted to buy some stuff from a fellow collector here on TNI ( actually, someone in this very thread!)--but for whatever reason, they did not want to deal with me.

Does that mean that I can now go around saying that person is a bad trader/dealer because they did not want to do the deal?

With some of the "logic" people have posted above, I should be allowed to malign this person--because whatever reason they have for not dealing with me is "irrelevant", I should be entitled regardless of the arrangement-positive or negative.

That's horrible, I think......and I think begrudging someone in that way is just petty.

Sure, it sucks when someone doesn't want to deal, but what else can you do? Move on and find someone else.

If I walk into Macy's and grab something off the rack, take it to the register... they can just say "no, we dont want your business," and not answer my questions why? WOuldn't THAT be poor customer service? icon_lol.gif

No, actually, it wouldn't. They just do not want your business.

Why not reverse this: If they came to YOU, and you did not want to buy--does that make you a lousy customer?

Of course not, you are just exercising your choice not to buy, just as they are exercising their choice not to sell. If there's no obligation upon you, then why should there be any upon them?

IMO, ONLY when both parties have entered into a mutual contract and one side doesn't live up to their end, then can either one sling the epithets around. It doesn't matter if you are a repeat customer, because every time you buy its considered a new contract and a completely new venture. Any prior relationship being considered is solely up to the consent of both parties, and if one side falls out of favour........tough beans. Its their right not to enter into a transaction for whatever reason.

Here's a good example: I wanted to buy some stuff from a fellow collector here on TNI ( actually, someone in this very thread!)--but for whatever reason, they did not want to deal with me.

Does that mean that I can now go around saying that person is a bad trader/dealer because they did not want to do the deal?

With some of the "logic" people have posted above, I should be allowed to malign this person--because whatever reason they have for not dealing with me is "irrelevant", I should be entitled regardless of the arrangement-positive or negative.

That's horrible, I think......and I think begrudging someone in that way is just petty.

Sure, it sucks when someone doesn't want to deal, but what else can you do? Move on and find someone else.

I see both your points.

I think you're both defining "customer service" in different ways. Personally I think Arrow has the more correct definition, but I do understand the frustration of the original poster. If indeed there was no reason to be put on Night Viper's block list, it does seem like bad business practice. I know we're getting just one side to the story here, but assuming it's the correct one it sounds to me like it was done in error and the seller just doesn't answer questions very well. Since no transaction has actually occured, he's not a customer and therefore no "customer service" is involved, but it does seem like bad business practice. I mean, people do want to SELL their items, right? Logic dictates that you'd better have a good reason not to sell something to someone, or else you're gonna lose out on money, especially with Ebay, when any one potential bidder can drive up the price of the item exponentially.

Having bought from them before, I can personally attest to the fact that they're not exactly the best when it comes to answering questions. Don't get me wrong - I've bought some real gems from them and never once had a bad experience, but they're just not consistent about questions, that's all. Maybe they don't have the time, that's all. Sucks, but what are you going to do about it? People who sell on Ebay can't always be around to answer questions, unfortunately. Don't worry, the item will come back.

Hey, whenever I lose out on something I want on Ebay, I gotta tell myself everything comes back in time. You just gotta be patient. What's the fun in collecting if you've already got EVERYTHING?

My turn to chime in on this one.

joenubb's issue is one I have had, too. Though I've had nothing but positive experiences with Night_Vipers_Joes, I once tried to bid on some stuff from another guy who went by ufo_flyer (now goes by smiley_cyrus), just to be shown the 'blocked bidder' notice. Now, note that, as far back as I've been able to check, I've never bought from or sold anything to this guy before. The only connection I had (if you could call it that) is that we had both bid against against each other on other people's auctions before.

That's a pretty petty reason to ban someone from YOUR auctions. That's the only thing I can think of as to why he'd block me, to somehow 'punish' me just because I had bid against him on something else.

Meh, I don't know. I'm not losing any sleep over it... :rolleyes: