Hot Toys Dark Knight Figures

NightCreeper

I just wanted to share the love. Most people here seem unaware of the 1/6 market......well whether you are or aren't. A little over a month ago Hot Toys announced their Dark Knight Figures. Here are the first two set for release in July:

14DK_TheJoker_12inches.jpg

More images: http://www.hottoys.com.hk/product.php?cat=66&pid=370

1DK_Batman_12inches.jpg

More images: http://www.hottoys.com.hk/product.php?cat=66&pid=369

Also Hot Toys plans to release the Batmobile and the Batpod:

20080524_ed1e80456989ef18aaeeRLhT4X2vopad.jpg

This will be a full line by HT, meaning more figures to come. They are expensive but that is how the 1/6 world is. Most places are sold out of the Joker, but BBTS still has him, yet they are the most expensive.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to share the love. Most people here seem unaware of the 1/6 market......well whether you are or aren't. A little over a month ago Hot Toys announced their Dark Knight Figures. Here are the first two set for release in July:

14DK_TheJoker_12inches.jpg

More images: http://www.hottoys.com.hk/product.php?cat=66&pid=370

1DK_Batman_12inches.jpg

20080524_ed1e80456989ef18aaeeRLhT4X2vopad.jpg

This will be a full line by HT, meaning more figures to come. They are expensive but that is how the 1/6 world is. Most places are sold out of the Joker, but BBTS still has him, yet they are the most expensive.

Ok 1st thanks for starting the thread. & 2nd I got mine on pre-order @ BBTS but they don't tell you a lot about when there gonna ship. Frankly I was expecting my bank card to be charged this week, but it has'nt happened yet. They do say they don't charge you till the merch arrives to them.

But you do know for fact that the Masterpieces are released in July??

If Joker had a decent face sculpt, I'd be all over it.

???????????????????????????

Decent face sculpt????? Um, we are looking at the same pic right? Ok let me see if I'm following you on this. You like the DCD DK13" Bats & Joker, but your saying that this Joker is some how wack.

Maby you can elaberate because I love the toys so much I DL the pics then like some proud ass mom gushing over her kids, or worse, like some love struck ding bat chick who's all in love w/some guy, I went & had the pics printed from my PDA's SD card.

So needless to say, I'm heads over (bleeping) heels with this toy! I like to think of it as "My Kingdom Come".

If Joker had a decent face sculpt, I'd be all over it.

???????????????????????????

Decent face sculpt????? Um, we are looking at the same pic right? Ok let me see if I'm following you on this. You like the DCD DK13" Bats & Joker, but your saying that this Joker is some how wack.

Maby you can elaberate because I love the toys so much I DL the pics then like some proud ass mom gushing over her kids, or worse, like some love struck ding bat chick who's all in love w/some guy, I went & had the pics printed from my PDA's SD card.

So needless to say, I'm heads over (bleeping) heels with this toy! I like to think of it as "My Kingdom Come".

i would have to agree with you on the fact that these look slick. i would have to agree with cr0w as well. i think that the dcd fig looks like most of the pics ive seen of the joker., but.....the fig here looks like the pics of the joker when he's in jail or whatever( the good evening commissioner) scene

Basically everything from his nose down just looks really off to me. I know they sculpted it to resemble one specific scene in the film, which I'll point out after I'm done typing my rant. Everything from the tip of the nose up is fine, especially when he's got his head down, facing forward. Everything below the nose is too elongated. It makes the nose and upper part of his face look squished, for lack of a better word. If they did base it on that very picture, which I think they did, part of their problem is that they only sculpted the head to look right when it's in that particular pose. Anything else and it just looks awkward. Hell, even in that pose the lower half of the face just looks wrong to me. It's like they merged two different facial structures. It doesn't help that, when the head isn't in that position, he looks like he's crinkling his nose up looking a cute widdle puppy.

tdkmay914lg4.jpg

11DK_TheJoker_12inches.jpg

The sculpting is top notch, especially the hair. My argument is that if I'm paying $150, at least, for a figure based on Heath Ledger as the Joker, I want it to at least bear a passing resemblance to him. He might look better in person, because a lot of times 1/6 scale stuff really does, but based on the pictures I'm not blown away. If the price point weren't so high, I'd be a hell of a lot more forgiving of it, but I just don't like the face sculpt at all.

8DK_TheJoker_12inches.jpg

The sculpting is top notch, especially the hair. My argument is that if I'm paying $150, at least, for a figure based on Heath Ledger as the Joker, I want it to at least bear a passing resemblance to him. He might look better in person, because a lot of times 1/6 scale stuff really does, but based on the pictures I'm not blown away. If the price point weren't so high, I'd be a hell of a lot more forgiving of it, but I just don't like the face sculpt at all.

I don't even think I see your argument. This is a figure that isn't suppose to look exactly like Heath, I mean he is depicting Joker with

white face paint and scars, so he isn't going to bear an exact resemblance of himself on TDK, thats the point. If this is your opinion then fine,

but for the most part the sculpt does pass as Ledger as he is seen in TDK. I don't think its suppose to be a dead-on sculpt of Ledger but Ledger as The Joker.

Not to be rude but its almost like your being overly critical because you may not really want the figure, but I digress, to each his own if that is how you feel, but

Hot Toys is the top 12" company right now so I doubt any other company will be able to do a better likeness, which I think HT did a great job on, the high detail

in the clothing and painting alone justifies the price point, not just exclusively the sculpt.

cr0w, I respect your opinion, & think your a realy cool person, but I gotta go with azrael on this one.

I've gone over my pics of the HT Joker, & just don't see what your seeing. How ever! what I did notice was that, because The Joker's face is all white, the flash of the camera kind of "washed" out the Joker's face a lil bit.

In effect the flash set against the white face of the joker, made the finer details of the Joker's face "bleach" out so to speak. I'm more than confident that when light levels are back to normal the Joker will look just fine!!! Gotta admit cr0w, you had me scared there for a minute.

i think what cr0w's saying is, they sculpted the face looking down at the ground. if you pose him in that exact position, he looks dead on.....when you tilt the head foward, the sculpt looks off......it only looks like ledger "as the joker" when the head is tilted down in the position that is shown

i wanna know whats up with the BATMAN BEGINS bats that they keep releasing...........new movie......new suit #WTF#

1DK_Batman_12inches.jpg

img-resized.png Reduced: 56% of original size [ 1280 x 636 ] - Click to view full image20080524_ed1e80456989ef18aaeeRLhT4X2vopad.jpg

They're going to make a TDK Bats, they're just re-doing the Begins one because their first was sub-par, at least in terms of the head sculpt.

And I'm not being overly critical of the HT Joker because I don't want it. I'm being critical because I really, really wanted it but found myself severely underwhelmed by the photos of the product. After I got their AVP:R Predator, I was really hyped about their Batman figures but once the pictures came out, the face sculpt just left me underwhelmed. I don't care how great the outfit is, if the sculpting of something as important as the face is off as much as that is to me, it's not worth $150 out of my wallet. Again, the final product may look better, but I'll have to wait until I see it to order it...based on their photos, it's not a blind buy for me like I expected it to be.

As far as the likeness goes, based on those pictures, DC Direct beat 'em. I wish I could take the hair off the HT figure and put it on DCD's, because that would be perfect. I just don't see Ledger anywhere in the figure at all...sure, you can say it's a Joker sculpt, but Ledger's playing the Joker, so I would expect to be able to see at least some resemblance there, but there is none. Again, this is all my opinion, but don't claim I have this opinion because I don't want the figure, because you're dead wrong. I have this opinion because I'm disappointed.

i think what cr0w's saying is, they sculpted the face looking down at the ground. if you pose him in that exact position, he looks dead on.....when you tilt the head foward, the sculpt looks off......it only looks like ledger "as the joker" when the head is tilted down in the position that is shown

Bingo.

So you see no resembalance at all huh. Ok guy, if you say so.

Hay I know, maby HT will come out w/a Knight Tale or better Brokeback Mountain 12" figs. That way you can kit bash Heath. Just paint his face white & go craaazy w/ some chicks lip stick LOL.

(side note, the part about a 12" Brokeback is not a joke. I'd be willing to pay up to $300.00 per fig if they made him)

...yeah, can't see that happening. And no, I don't see any resemblance. The only thing that looks right is from the tip of his nose up. His upper lip and everything below that is too elongated, mainly to make him look right when his head is posed the way they intended for it to be posed. I'm not going to change anyone else's mind, and I'm not even trying to...I'm trying to tell you why I don't like it, and now people are assuming that I'm being unreasonable because I dare not drool over the thing since HT slapped their name on it.

And I'm not being overly critical of the HT Joker because I don't want it. I'm being critical because I really, really wanted it but found myself severely underwhelmed by the photos of the product. After I got their AVP:R Predator, I was really hyped about their Batman figures but once the pictures came out, the face sculpt just left me underwhelmed. I don't care how great the outfit is, if the sculpting of something as important as the face is off as much as that is to me, it's not worth $150 out of my wallet. Again, the final product may look better, but I'll have to wait until I see it to order it...based on their photos, it's not a blind buy for me like I expected it to be

You seemed to have miss my entire point in mentioning the outfit, all I said was that there is more to it than only the sculpting, but the overall quality of the actual figure which includes paint, sculpt and tailored clothing. As I said before thats your personal view, however the fact remains you're overly critical over a product that has yet to be released, like you said, you may like it

once you actually see it, then again you may not.

As far as the likeness goes, based on those pictures, DC Direct beat 'em. I wish I could take the hair off the HT figure and put it on DCD's, because that would be perfect. I just don't see Ledger anywhere in the figure at all...sure, you can say it's a Joker sculpt, but Ledger's playing the Joker, so I would expect to be able to see at least some resemblance there, but there is none. Again, this is all my opinion, but don't claim I have this opinion because I don't want the figure, because you're dead wrong. I have this opinion because I'm disappointed.

The Hot Toys does bear a resemblance to Ledger, as does the DC Direct version as well. Whether you actually see Ledger can be subjective, but its not suppose to be a Heath Ledger

figure, it suppose to be Ledger as Joker. Secondly I didn't actually say you didn't want the figure I said you're giving that impression, if I was so dead wrong you wouldn't be getting so

defensive like you are now, I already stated your opinion is your opinion.

Bingo.

Bingo? But you previously stated that you didn't see Ledger at all, but now you do from a certain angle? Thats what I'm trying

to figure out, he's either there or he isn't. I don't see how the likeness can be dead on tilted down when you said you can't see the resemblance

whatsoever.

I'm defensive because I don't like people assuming my reasoning behind my opinions and putting words into my mouth. Others are getting defensive because I'm criticizing the figure, so it goes both ways. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm saying the figure ain't all it's cracked up to be, but that's subject to change once the final product comes out. We'll just have to wait and see.

And yes, bingo. From that certain angle, from the tip of the nose up, it looks fairly accurate to the screen cap I posted, which it's obviously meant to capture. From any other angle, it looks nothing like the actor it's based on. A good sculpt, if it's meant to look like someone, should look like them from more than one angle, and this one doesn't in the pictures they've released. Being that it's the prototype, it might still be undergoing tweaking. There's no reason to get so offended by me saying I don't like what we've seen so far when I'm flat out saying, in no uncertain terms, that I'll wait until the final product is released to judge it.

I'm defensive because I don't like people assuming my reasoning behind my opinions and putting words into my mouth. Others are getting defensive because I'm criticizing the figure, so it goes both ways. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm saying the figure ain't all it's cracked up to be, but that's subject to change once the final product comes out. We'll just have to wait and see.

Trust me, I'm not getting defensive, I'm just trying to understand your reasoning behind your opinion/argument. I just found it strange that one minute you claim to see ledger

within the figure sculpt and then the next minute you claim he's not in there at all. Sorry if I put words into your mouth, that wasn't my intent my friend.

Alright, I'll re-word it. From the angle that it's obviously supposed to be viewed at, the figure looks enough like Joker in the scene it's based on to accurately reflect his look in the still. However, in all the pictures taken from any other angle, it looks very off to me. Mainly because the lower half of the face is more elongated than Ledger's. Now, it's a damn good Joker sculpt, I'm not denying that at all, I just don't like the way it looks in any of the pictures other than the one meant to ape that scene from the film. That's the downside to designing a figure based on one particular still...it might not look right any other way. It's a problem with the design, not with the figure itself. I dunno, I've recently become much more picky about what I spend my money on because of gas prices and all that crap, so I really, really look at things a lot more closely than most people will.

Now, it's a damn good Joker sculpt, I'm not denying that at all, I just don't like the way it looks in any of the pictures other than the one meant to ape that scene from the film. That's the downside to designing a figure based on one particular still...it might not look right any other way. It's a problem with the design, not with the figure itself.

Thats pretty much how I viewed the HT Superman Returns v.2 figure, it wasn't really a dead-on likeness of Routh but it was a great Superman figure nonetheless. But I

understand completely what you're saying about the Joker figure. Overall I actually like the figure I just hope they change the knife because it looks to much like a potatoe peeler.

I dunno, I've recently become much more picky about what I spend my money on because of gas prices and all that crap, so I really, really look at things a lot more closely than most people will.

You probably aren't the only collector that feels that way. Not only am I now particular about figures because of gas prices but I'm very particular when it comes to 12" figures, not

only because of their high price points but also because they take up alot of space.

Small, crappy pic of Hot Toys' TDK Bats, which I will be getting.

20086192003068175.jpg

Dude, I don't get you. If you think the fig is crappy, then why are you getting it????????

That pic is awsome btw.

the pic is crappy......the pic. im not going to keep bailing you out SURPREME QUEEN!(lol) just kidding bud....