Movie Masters recalled?!

syd

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information floating around out here. Can someone give definite, verified word on just what the heck is going on?

Mattel says its' "retailer spot-testing" but now reports are saying Target is pulling the lines, as well. (Or is Target just shifting them for a new plan-o-gram?) Seems awfully coincidental that two separate retailers would "spot test" exactly the same toys at the same time. Kinda makes one wonder if it isn't just an "unofficial" recall and Mattel just managed to politic with the retailers to prevent getting their name in the news again.

It's not a recall. If it was a recall it would be on Mattel's website and all retail stores that have an account with Mattel and have these toys wouldn't be able to sell them. And I'd guess that would include On-line stores like BBTS/CSC/Toy Wiz all of which are still offering them. My Target I was at yesterday afternoon still had 2 Penguin, 3-4 Orion, 3 Red Tornado & 2 Etrigan figures on the pegs. TRU was said to be doing random testing on their own and I'm sure they'll be back on the pegs there soon enough. As for the Movie Masters it was reported by one of the Online retailers (CSC I think?) on one of the boards (fwoosh) last week that they were told by Mattel that there was a production change on the package design that was causing the delay of the second shipment.

Here's the link to the MM post -

http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.p...471bc479511b20f

just sounds like some much needed Quality Control. At least from a safety stand point.

If it was a recall they would announce it to the masses (as has been stated by a few people already) so that people could get rid of or exchange or whatever policy was put in order.

so far it sounds like this is just testing. you know, for peace of mind.

as far as employees calling it "recalled". Their just @##@@ employees, bottom rung. Sometimes they know what the deal is, sometimes they're just doing as their told.

And sometimes they're high and just want you to not bother them.

Another follow up from Mattel... I went to my local Walmart this morning and noticed the movie masters and the figures with vehicles off the shelves. I asked an employee if they had been recalled and she said yes. So I called mattel again and asked them to explain a bit more. The guy said they are being pulled because they don't meet company standards or something of that sort. He advised me to let the employees at stores know the difference between recall and items being pulled. He told me the figures we all have are perfectly safe. They just want to release another batch that meet company standards but nothing is being recalled. He said we should see the shelves restocked within a week or so.

Another follow up from Mattel... I went to my local Walmart this morning and noticed the movie masters and the figures with vehicles off the shelves. I asked an employee if they had been recalled and she said yes. So I called mattel again and asked them to explain a bit more. The guy said they are being pulled because they don't meet company standards or something of that sort. He advised me to let the employees at stores know the difference between recall and items being pulled. He told me the figures we all have are perfectly safe. They just want to release another batch that meet company standards but nothing is being recalled. He said we should see the shelves restocked within a week or so.

that is VERY good news!

AH HA! I KNEW IT!!! Did I not say this was gonna happen over in the other MM thread?! & let me say this while I'm at it, this is a "camoflage operation".

Some one already said Mattel & its retailers did a "back ally" deal to keep their name out of the whole thing, & I for one believe just that! Subterfuse plan & simple. I'm holding in my hand this very minute a print out from the target I work at instructing the employees to pull: DK MM, Vehicle & fig peg, Kung Fu pandas, & a bunch of Speed racer stuff.

I realy do think something has gone wrong either with craftsmanship, lead, too many small parts, or hell! I'm even willing to consider this whole thing a stunt pulled by Mattel to drive "want-abilty" & sales of wave2.

One things is for sure. By Mattels own statement, they plan on change the product. So the value of wave 1 is MOS DEFF gonna shoot up. I'm glad I grabed that 2nd MM Joker at TRU a couple of weeks ago when I had the chance.

So I was at a local Toys R Us today (west hartford ct) and found one of the dark knight movie masters gotham city thug figures. i got to the counter and had the cashier ring me up. she then tells me that they can't sell the figure to me because its coming up on the computer as the item being 'recalled'.

i asked, "so what are you going to do with it, throw it out?"

and she was like, "Yeah, we just can't sell it to you."

that was really weird. it may explain why we haven't been seeing anything of these since early may.

Syd, dude, buddy-o-pal! you deserve a medal for the amount of self control you demonstrated in that TRU. Because I'm telling you like this. If it was ME, man-o-man I would have plunked down like $12 or $15 bucks down on the counter snatched the effin MM & ran like Lavar Burton doing a take from "Roots"!!!

I mean think about it for a second, imagin if you will the 911 call: "Um hello 911, this man just forced us to sell him a re-called toy, can you please send the police?"

Dude the dispatcher would be scratching their head wondering WTF!!! & asking things like "ok so you say he paid for it, but he stole it anyway"??? LOL! I'm telling you dude, I'm SOOOOOO not jokeing, you let me find a chace MM at a TRU, if need be i'll pull the effin fire alarm & in the panic i'll take that mo fo & mail them the payment!

i actually thought about that after leaving the store... they did have another gotham city thug figure out on their DK display... but i figured i already freaked out the cashier enough by turning around and asking her for HER phone number after she asked for mine. you know the whole TRU register spiel.

i'm not too worried about finding any more DK figures, at least until wave 2 comes out.

Yep these are gone!

Any word on the recall, has it been lifted for sure or is it still in affect. I went the local Wal Mart and all of the Speed Racer toys, Movie masters, and Kung fu panda toys were gone. It was like walking in to a Desert.

Well its not a MM, but last night at a Vineland NJ Wal mart I found the new 5" Punch Packing Joker single pack wareing the purple suit.

When I got it I returned the 4pack today at TRU & the lady working the counter slaped a big ol "STOP SELL" sticker on it & said she can't return it to the sales floor. I got my money back, but it still looks like the re-call or "pull" or what ever you want to call it is still ineffect.

Here is a statement from mattel

MEDIA STATEMENT

MATTEL

June 5, 2008

Mattel is withdrawing certain limited products from retailer shelves

worldwide. While these products meet with applicable local standards,

the products do not meet Mattel internal specifications. Because these

toys are safe, it is not necessary for us to "recall" them from the

market. To confirm, no U.S. standards have been violated and no recall

under federal law is warranted.

Well I don't care who's responsible for pull the merch off the shelf, the fact is, its no longer available for sale!

& IT IS A RE-CALL!!! the fact that retailers are have a problem with the merch & not Mattel means nothing to me. Bottom line, MM are GONE! I'm not buying this "smoke & mirror" routine!

Ain't it nice how this doesn't happen to all of the dozens of 5" Batman toys, ie: the ones no one wants? :)

When the movie actually hits they'll all be available again. I'm even holding out hope of finding a Joker at that time.