Why do you talk to non fans about GI Joe at the store?

Zanzibar

LOL there not allowed to check the back?

BS! I say

I know... They said they can't cause it's a collectible item and everything gets stocked overnight and will be available in the morning. I usually say I didn't know Target sold collectible items but sold toys instead but if I asked Target to check on that 24 pack of 2-ply toilet paper in the back. They would have every employee checking for me...

I'm like VH in that I like to get in and out quick, unless there's a boatload of stuff and I dig through them to find mint cards. Occaisionally some of my students or former students will come up to me and talk, but it's no big deal to them because they know me and know I'm into that stuff. Heck, some of them even buy the stuff for me. (lol) If I have any adult friends or relatives come by and see me looking, most of them know I'm a collector as well. I really don't care what people think. It's been no big deal for me really.

Recently I had a friend from high school come by the figure aisle and catch me looking at Joes, and it was funny because he was stopping by to look himself; turns out he too has always been a big Joe fan and I never knew it. We stood there forever talking about the 25th Anniversary Joes, which ones we have and who we're still looking for. And it was equally funny when people from the community kept coming up and talking to us that we know from working in the schools. That's when it's fun, when you can share the hobby with a live friend like that or strike up a random conversation with someone that's looking for the same stuff you are. That's happened to me before also.

Just the other day you said you gave up a figure for a little kid and now you were pissed that you missed something that a little kid may have gotten.

WTF? You missed my point, Dude!

I was poed at the way those chicks treated me. It wasn't that I missed out on anything. I was trying to help and that beotch gave me her back!

But this is only a couple of examples. For the most part, I'm like the King of the Toy Isle. I'm known! I usually help people out more than the employees who don't know s***. I'm known as like the Toy Guy and people just come up to ME and ASKE ME questions cuz they've caught on that I know more than those minimum wage Target monkeys do! And then for the most part, everyone is like, "Thank you so much!" "You're vry smart, Sir." You've been a huge help. Thank you!"

Most people are totally dope and they totally appreciate when you affect their lives like that. It's just that sometimes you get these snobs who think they're better than me. THOSE are the a-holes that I'm like, "Look, Dude! I have about a thousand action figures and in twenty years I'm going to sell them for AT LEAST a hundred dollars each! DO THE MATH, LOSER! I'm sitting on about a HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! I'll be able to buy and sell your wife, Dude!!!!" LOL!

THEN they shut the eff up!

Just the other day you said you gave up a figure for a little kid and now you were pissed that you missed something that a little kid may have gotten.

I was poed at the way those chicks treated me. It wasn't that I missed out on anything. I was trying to help and that beotch gave me her back!

But this is only a couple of examples. For the most part, I'm like the King of the Toy Isle. I'm known! I usually help people out more than the employees who don't know s***. I'm known as like the Toy Guy and people just come up to ME and ASKE ME questions cuz they've caught on that I know more than those minimum wage Target monkeys do! And then for the most part, everyone is like, "Thank you so much!" "You're vry smart, Sir." You've been a huge help. Thank you!"

Most people are totally dope and they totally appreciate when you affect their lives like that. It's just that sometimes you get these snobs who think they're better than me. THOSE are the a-holes that I'm like, "Look, Dude! I have about a thousand action figures and in twenty years I'm going to sell them for AT LEAST a hundred dollars each! DO THE MATH, LOSER! I'm sitting on about a HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! I'll be able to buy and sell your wife, Dude!!!!" LOL!

You are fooling yourself if you think most of these are going to be worth $100 each.

You are fooling yourself if you think most of these are going to be worth $100 each.

I'm not talking about 25th A or even Joes, Bro.

I've been collecting since WAAAYYY back. I'm TOTALLY hardcore I got HOT items that people are going to want. They aren't MOMC but most of them are innate.

Haters are always saying 'Dude, you can't sell this for X or Y." and then I run a price guide under their noses and tell them to shut the eff up. But most people think Ok. THEY won't pay 100.00 a figure. But what about the NEXT gen? THEY don't have ANYTHING and they'll pay BIG BANK to get it! That's who I'm counting on.

EvilStar sees the BIG icture! LOL! :)

Hey ! This was EvilStar's 200th post! Happy Birthday, EvilStar!

I'm not talking about 25th A or even Joes, Bro.

I've been collecting since WAAAYYY back. I'm TOTALLY hardcore I got HOT items that people are going to want. They aren't MOMC but most of them are innate.

Haters are always saying 'Dude, you can't sell this for X or Y." and then I run a price guide under their noses and tell them to shut the eff up. But most people think Ok. THEY won't pay 100.00 a figure. But what about the NEXT gen? THEY don't have ANYTHING and they'll pay BIG BANK to get it! That's who I'm counting on.

EvilStar sees the BIG icture! LOL! :)

Hey ! This was EvilStar's 200th post! Happy Birthday, EvilStar!

Word up, G. You sell it for a crazy phat stack of kraft single slices and be livin' the dope life.

Aherm. Anyways. I have occasionally attempted to start up a conversation or two in the toy aisle if I see someone is looking through pegs of what I collect. Sometimes I get a little idle chit-chat from them. Usually, I get some uncomfortable looks and quick answers before they Exit stage left. I always thought it was odd that other collectors wouldn't want to talk about their passions. Until I read this topic that is.

Seriously, most of you guys wouldn't strike up conversation with another random stranger that seemed to be into the same hobby as you are? That is baffling to me.

I guess I am still missing the point if there was one there to begin with.

I do have a headache now though and feel like crying after reading that.

Seriously, most of you guys wouldn't strike up conversation with another random stranger that seemed to be into the same hobby as you are? That is baffling to me.

Oh, I have had pleasant conversations with other collectors, but not in mass retail places. Instead, its been in collectors stores, where the atmosphere is more....."comfortable". If someone asks me a question, I'll always answer to the best of my knowledge, but its often funny was to WHAT the questions are. Its pretty easy to tell if its a fellow collector playing dumb asking something, as opposed to someone that really is clueless.

Evilstar spouted:

Ah, so someone was making a choice all on their own and you interjected your opinion upon them, and they brushed you off? That merits calling them a #$#@#?

Why the hell should they give you the time of day??? Let the gal make up her own mind and spare her your "expertise"--its her right to choose as she pleases.

But I'm guessing you are not "totally dope" about something like that....

Why the hell should they give you the time of day???

Oh I don't know...Maybe...POLITENESS?????

I may have had a conversation with another collector in the toy aisle once or twice, but generally, I keep to myself as I'm usually the only collector (that I can identify, anyway) there.

BS! I say

I know... They said they can't cause it's a collectible item and everything gets stocked overnight and will be available in the morning. I usually say I didn't know Target sold collectible items but sold toys instead but if I asked Target to check on that 24 pack of 2-ply toilet paper in the back. They would have every employee checking for me...

I bet if it was a sexy blonde saying it was for her kid they would check the back for a toy

BS! I say

I bet if it was a sexy blonde saying it was for her kid they would check the back for a toy

I'd check out her back too...oh, wait.

I usually only talk to hot girls in the toy aisle. That's where I met my wife after all.

She was buying DragonBall Z stuff. And I was like "I just got DragonBall Z budokai for ps2, you should come over for pizza sometime and we can play it together." I gave her my number and two days later she was at my house. I can't believe it worked. We've been married 3 years now.

I hope to meet my future mistress there too(just kidding honey!).

I'd check out her back too...oh, wait.

I usually only talk to hot girls in the toy aisle. That's where I met my wife after all.

She was buying DragonBall Z stuff. And I was like "I just got DragonBall Z budokai for ps2, you should come over for pizza sometime and we can play it together." I gave her my number and two days later she was at my house. I can't believe it worked. We've been married 3 years now.

I hope to meet my future mistress there too(just kidding honey!).

Always nice when things like that work out, course having a gf who enjoys your hobby also works to so ++++ on that to anyone in that boat as well @firedevil@

As far as the topic goes, I don't usually speak while I browse the toy aisle unless someone ask me a question or an employee asks if I need anything other then those occasions I'm like the invisible toy aisle man. There have been a couple occasions where people have asked me if I knew anything about a certain toyline/character/etc and what I would recommend, I always enjoy helping people out like that especially if they have next to no idea what they are looking for.

I tried this today, my neighbor was outside picking up branches and fixing up his landscaping that he just recently did and I walked over to him, he asked how things were and I told him that things are going good and we're packing stuff up, and then I asked him if he thought it was odd that Hasbro's production of the 25th figures is real low and crappy and it's hard to find some of the recent waves in numbers out there, and usually when I go to the stores all I see are a handful of figures on the pegs.. and he looked at me and didnt' know what to say, but kept on talking about his crappy trees and bushes... silly normal people.. they should know EVERYTHING about GI Joe and no matter what, if I ask a question, then should know the answer... :rolleyes:

I tried this today, my neighbor was outside picking up branches and fixing up his landscaping that he just recently did and I walked over to him, he asked how things were and I told him that things are going good and we're packing stuff up, and then I asked him if he thought it was odd that Hasbro's production of the 25th figures is real low and crappy and it's hard to find some of the recent waves in numbers out there, and usually when I go to the stores all I see are a handful of figures on the pegs.. and he looked at me and didnt' know what to say, but kept on talking about his crappy trees and bushes... silly normal people.. they should know EVERYTHING about GI Joe and no matter what, if I ask a question, then should know the answer... :rolleyes:

When I do that, people slap me.

Hard.

Several times.

Across the upper body and face.

Its hurts.

And I don't even spit when I talk....

2 times at Walmart lately when I talk to the average consumer is helping them out with their toy purchases. Like last week help these 2 ladies on what Tf toys to buy. Last xmas helped this lady when she bought a bunch of Legendary comic book heroes toys(Savage dragon, Super patriot etc) Used the insider word variant when describing the 2 Super Patriot figures that were different.

I try to make conversation with the people in the toy aisles that I see that are collecting what I am. I'll ask them what they've found from the new waves that have come out and if I have found something that they were looking for in another store before i'll let them know so they know which stores are having them in stock so they can check them out. I sometimes go even as far as saying hey if you want i'll give you a call when I see what you've been looking for i'll stash it somewhere in the store and call you up and let you know where it's at. But this is just me trying to help out my fellow collectors.

WHAT THE EFF!!

What a stoopid jerk, not you the bush guy.

I mean you have been around awhile so you must have tons of toys worth a buttload of money. Plus being a mod here means you are THE action figure expert, well, second place action figure expert I know of someone who knows more than all of us combined.

That guy should have been thankfull just to bask in your glory.

When I do that, people slap me.

Hard.

Several times.

Across the upper body and face.

Its hurts.

And I don't even spit when I talk....

Huh. When I do that they run inside their house and call the cops on me. :D