What Do Older Fans Think of Newer Fans?

Onslaught MVC98

The new Major Bludd figure is causing major fan uproar because he "disappoints." He's not "like this" or they should have done "that instead."

Reading all these posts makes me feel like anyone who wants to call themselves a G. I. Joe fan has to hate this figure. But I don't.

I just plain don't care. I don't know who Bludd is, why he's so popular or why fans are spitting at Hasbro for "dropping the ball."

This brings me to my question--do older fans feel annoyed at younger fans who don't get riled up at the same things they do, and who think Snake Eyes is "OMG TEH BEST JOE EVAR!!!!11eleven?" Or do they just write them off as "n00bs?"

Me personally, I like Snake Eyes because he's the only original Joe figure I distinctly remember owning ('course by the time I came along, the "new" Snake Eyes was the blue ski gear one with the neon orange weapons). I dislike that to some, that makes me seem like a Snake Eyes fanboy, but the toys are all I really care about; I barely remember any of the cartoon and never read a comic.

I'm just a fan of well-articulated figures that can carry their weapons in holsters and sheathes on their bodies. Plus, I like characters with face masks or helmets because it's easier to mess up face detail at that small scale. Snake Eyes just happens to have all those things.

I know the series has a huge following and has lots of history and I respect that, but it's not that important to me.

I don't really care if someone else likes or dislikes the stuff, because...........honestly, I'm not collecting because of them, I'm in it for the toys themselves. Other people's likes/dislikes are just not a factor in my own enjoyment.

When I "take exception" its more for the snide enjoyment of poking a stick into the cage and see what rattles come from inside. I guess its no surprise that some folks just like to complain about stuff.

Hey, that's people............cannot change that.

If anything genuinely irks me, its the really odd-ball declaration about what a "true fan" is, and how they have to subscribe to some selective niche viewpoint--that just happens to be the same as the person claiming to know what true fans are. Usually its a stance taken to denigrate something that falls outside of that person's likes, and anyone not agreeing doesn't deserve the label of "fan" at all.

Its gotten to the point where when I read anyone claiming they are ( or someone else is not) a true fan, I just roll my eyes.

I guess, in my own POV, is that a true fan is someone that (in this case) would like EVERYTHING about GIJOE regardless of what it is. Linking only a niche aspect doesn't ring "true" ( pun intended!) to me.

Years ago, some on-line 3 3/4" GIJOE fans expressed a GREAT deal of bitterness about not having product available to buy. The very odd statement made was that it was the "12" collectors fault, that all of Hasbro's attention was devoted to them". The animosity was genuine from these folks, and quite vocal.

And yet, in all that time........anything at all like the same level of bitterness was NEVER reciprocated in the 12" on-line forums. Even today, there's some very sporadic grumbling about no 12" figures being made these days, but there's no vocal bitterness of the same stripe, or even close to it toward the 3 3/4" crowd.

Fortunately, it seems that most of the 3 3/4" crowd have matured a bit, and ( I hope) realized that creating a scapegoat because they cannot buy product is just plain stupid.

If people are enjoying the hobby, I think that's great. If they are not, then I think they owe it to themselves to look at what's wrong, and make the choices that can bring them to enjoying things in some way. I'm not interested in keeping company to their misery however, and if they really hate things its probably better for them ( and the rest of us) to move on to something else.

I agree with ARROW's post especially the I don't collect any line based on what other people are fans of point. Although, I am completely dependent on there being other fans (consumers) of the products I like, because, in order for me to continue to buy new products of that or any line I need them.

Why? What I buy in Joe product or any other product is not enough to keep any line going. I need other people to buy the products of the stuff I like in order for those product line to be made or continue being made.

Do I have complaints about some aspects of any line I get? Absouloutley. Some major, some minor. Nothing's perfect.

Do I think some other fans can be over critical? Sure, but again as ARROW said: That's people.

Do other fans think my complaints or praises are off base? I'm sure some do.

Do I care about what the other fans think? To a point yes. I wouldn't be on this board reading / posting if I didn't. Yet, I like what I like and that's that.

Do I think characters like Snake Eyes and Duke over exposed? Sure, but that's good marketing on Hasbro's part. Which drives sales, which keeps the line going, which is good for my hobby.

Do I wish that Hasbro would make figures the exact way I want them? Of course, but that's really unreasonable to demand that. you can't please everyone, and Hasbro is first and foremost a buisness. Profits vs. cost and whatnot.

Do I wish that they'd get the figures 'right' ie. proper construction and what have you? Again, yeah. Yet since they don't, or haven't. I now have a new hobby, which is my 'how to' dio stories. If they built them 'right' I wouldn't feel the need to do something like that. Don't get me wrong I'd rather have the figures and not think I need to fix some things on them. Negative into a positive.

Or just to put it simply: Any Joe fan is a good Joe fan IMO.

I find it very interesting to come on here and read what other people say about G.I. Joe, whether I agree with them or not. It's just fun to discuss, reminisce, compare, review, complain, praise, list, speculate, ask, or just plain goof-off concerning anything to do with something we all loved growing up. And it's fun to see new fans come along and weigh in.

I've never tended to look down upon anyone who's tastes didn't match mine. You're an older fan that played with the twelve-inchers? Great! You guys were the first. You like G.I. Joe Extreme? I didn't catch on, but there were a few of the figures I wanted in college. Sigma 6 your thing? I had some, they were pretty cool. It just boils down to the fact that we all may like different aspects or versions of G.I. Joe, but we need to celebrate the fact that we have that comradere in common, and THAT'S what makes us ALL "true fans" of G.I. Joe.

I've never tended to look down upon anyone who's tastes didn't match mine. You're an older fan that played with the twelve-inchers? Great! You guys were the first. You like G.I. Joe Extreme? I didn' tcatch on, but there were a few of the figuresd I wanted in college. Sigma 6 your thing? I had some, they wrre pretty cool. It just boils down to the fact that we all may like different aspects or versions of G.I. Joe, but we need to celebrate the fact that we have that comradere in common, and THAT'S what makes us ALL "true fans" of G.I. Joe.

Yep, if we are all GIJOE fans...........what more need be said?

I'm 32 and was getting Joes from the very beginning and I know there are alot of members here who are in their early 20's and I get along fine with them. I do not mind anyone having a different opinion and in a way it is fun to see what everyone else likes. I know some Joe collectors too that are the same age as me and we have opposite opinions on Joes. I don't think age matters all that much. Alot of the younger/newer fans have gone back and learned the history of the Joe toys and have seen the cartoons.

I am one of these older fans I guess who does not like the new Major Bludd. A big part of that for me is that Bludd was one of the first Cobra bad guys. Right there with Destro and Cobra Commander. When I was a kid playing with my Joes we did not have hundresd of characters yet. It was more like dozens the first three-four years. Major Bludd was a big deal and played a big role in my Joe-verse.

I just feel he should get more respect and look more accurate than being a Zartan repaint when the Zartan was based more off of a Devil's Due Zartan to begin with.

The Joes can pass better with reused parts since they then have more of a unified military look and match somewhat. The Cobra's though always had more unique individual looks. Some can pass with reused parts but Bludd could have been alot better. Maybe Major Blood was not as much of a big deal with younger and newer fans later since he had other looks and there was more Cobra's to choose from.

That's is why I feel the way I do on the Major Bludd issue. I don't know about others that don't like the 25th Blood but maybe that would help clarify the issue some.

I'm an oldhead Joe collector. So yeah I get upset about some of the cr@p hasbro puts out. As far as your opinion or the next guys I don't care what you think, because I collect for myself. I normally don't read rants or people saying "but I think it's cool" because I honestly don't care. If I like it that's all that matters.

Oh I can see no good coming from this topic

Why not?????? :blink:

Because of this forums reputation over the past few years

Agreed - this topic will do nothing except create animosity between young and old. Or at very least give an outlet for those who are not as... 'polite' as others. I personally don't care either way, though I only know the pre-DEF (what I call ) BS, which makes me part of the problem, I guess.

I collected G I Joe when it was all about being a special division of the military. Reckon that would be 1982 until they started bringing neon into the equation. I went to college when they started all the wacked-out stuff, which in my eyes, killed the line. I stopped buying, and now have been re-invigorated with the 25th style releases.

The problem there is, I (we) don't know who half the figures you 'new', younger types like. Who is the Wraith? Glenda? It does not mean I will not like the answer, but we (older types) seem to want the classics done before going on to that era. It's not that we don't (won't) like the new stuff, I guess we just want to see completion with the old, and then move on in order with the original releases. Does that make sense?

In the end, however, I'll buy what they put out, and be happy with it, so long as it's original and will fit into the collection. So old or new, red or blue, it should not matter, as long as we all keep buying the stuff, so Hasbro keeps putting it out!

I've been an old school fan for years and have been disappointed by some stuff that Hasbro puts out but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some will like it, some will love it, others will just roll with it. I usually put myself in the third catergory because its not always complete crap.

I'm 36, been a Joe fan since day 1, when GI Joe burst on they toy scene & comic scene, in 1982. I see no problem with Bludd, repaints, Duke, Cobra Commander, or Snake Eyes. Yeah, some fig's coulda been better, but over all, I'm impressed and content with the way Hasbro is doing things. I haven't been this amped over GI Joe, since 1982.

Oh I can see no good coming from this topic

I think newer fans should stick to what they know: Sigma 6 and Diaper crotches.

Please stay away from my vintage greatness and anything associated with it, including any opinions about the 25th anniversary line.

Thanks and have a nice day.

@wink@

I think ARROW summed it all up pretty nicely and right on the money, at least as far as I'm concerned, of course, I'm in the same "old man" category as he is. ;)

I think any fan of G.I.JOE, under any of it's incarnations, is A-OK in my book. The only thing that seperates us old or new fans, is our individual personalities and how we go about expressing ourselves and conducting ourselves on sites like this, dedicated to all that is G.I.JOE.

A jerk is a jerk no matter what they like or don't like.

Ken and I could probably have the MOST in common with each other around here, with regards to our interests in G.I.Joe, than any other, but because I've been a "jerk" in the past (mostly about non G.I.Joe related topics) we've had conflict and heated disagreements, but that was just individual personalities getting in the way of civil conversation about action figure collecting.

There's no intelligent reason to be a jerk towards a fellow Joe fan just because of their preferences towards one style of it over another. Being too sensitive towards ridicule of something we like is the biggest culprit in getting peoples noses out of joint and then that leads to the "jerk" behaviour popping up and ruining honest debate or discussion.

I have my own preferences of HOW I'd like to see G.I.Joe showing up in the toy isles and I state them freely, and I know it's not always very pleasant when I go on a rant about the things I'm seeing that I DON'T like, but that shouldn't ever threaten somebody elses enjoyment of them, nor threaten the idea that such criticism gets the most attention and might cause an END to the current line that the others DO like. It's just talk. ^_^

As Arrow said, we are ALL G.I. JOE FANS. It doesn't matter to what "degree" you take it. Maybe you only collect Snake Eyes related merchandise. Maybe you collect EVERYTHING. Maybe you army build. Maybe you only like 12". Or Sigma Six. Or only the 80s figures (and THAT excludes 90s figures).

There is only ONE overrriding factor we all like G.I. Joe. End of story, in that regard. There are no requirements in the WAY one is a fan of something. Is a Cowboy's fan not a fan becuase they don't have season tickets and go to every game? Can he be a fan just watching a game, when he can, on tv?

What makes a fan a fan is they take an interest in a subject. They may discuss it with others with a similar interest. They may by merchanidise related to the subject. They most CERTAINLY have complaints about the subject (and THAT is probably the ONLY requirement for being a fan @firedevil@ ) and they may praise the subject when they perceive it to be "doing good". Or they may not do anything at all and it could be a purely personal thing just for themselves in which no one else partakes.

But even the fan that does not interact wants the subject to do well (hence the "complain" part). EVERY fan has their own "interpration" of the subject. Usually it is the same as the subject, as is, but there is always some kind of "tweak" that makes it their own. Those tweaks are not out of malice or anger, but out of a desire to improve upon the subject.

The greatest thing about being a fan of ANYTHING right now is that, via the internet, you can learn all you desire to know about the subject. I downloaded every issue of the Marvel comic run of G.I. Joe, for example.

It is almost "obligation" of a fan to complain. Why not? There is no such thing as perfect and, as they say, misery loves company. And any good business will listen to their costumers and do what they can to make it happen, if it is possible.

Hasbro itself has shown their willingness to do that. T-Crotches? 25h Beach Head's running change? Transformers Classics? That big ass Millenium Falcon? I'm fairly certain Tiger Force Flint was included because of the gloves issue. I have little doubt of the possibility of an improved Major Bludd down the line.

It may seem like a BAD thing to complain about a subject we like. But we learn better from mistakes then from success and can only improve through knowledge.

The new Major Bludd figure is causing major fan uproar because he "disappoints." He's not "like this" or they should have done "that instead."

Reading all these posts makes me feel like anyone who wants to call themselves a G. I. Joe fan has to hate this figure. But I don't.

I just plain don't care. I don't know who Bludd is, why he's so popular or why fans are spitting at Hasbro for "dropping the ball."

This brings me to my question--do older fans feel annoyed at younger fans who don't get riled up at the same things they do, and who think Snake Eyes is "OMG TEH BEST JOE EVAR!!!!11eleven?" Or do they just write them off as "n00bs?"

Me personally, I like Snake Eyes because he's the only original Joe figure I distinctly remember owning ('course by the time I came along, the "new" Snake Eyes was the blue ski gear one with the neon orange weapons). I dislike that to some, that makes me seem like a Snake Eyes fanboy, but the toys are all I really care about; I barely remember any of the cartoon and never read a comic.

I'm just a fan of well-articulated figures that can carry their weapons in holsters and sheathes on their bodies. Plus, I like characters with face masks or helmets because it's easier to mess up face detail at that small scale. Snake Eyes just happens to have all those things.

I know the series has a huge following and has lots of history and I respect that, but it's not that important to me.

I'll make one comment about this post.

You mention Major Bludd significantly, but you don't understand WHY people are complaining about the figure. It has nothing to do with "newbies vs geezers" (or however you wanna term it). It is about lackluster quality in a product a company wants us to purchase.

You yourself mentioned you like "well-articulated figures"....yet you don't see what is wrong with the Bludd figure? I do not believe there is a single person anywhere that likes Bludd's arm the way it is. Anyone even remotely familiar with the 25h line knows the figures are intended to be the "most articulated ever". Hasbro hyped that up a lot. THAT is what we complain about.

It is almost "obligation" of a fan to complain. Why not? There is no such thing as perfect and, as they say, misery loves company. And any good business will listen to their costumers and do what they can to make it happen, if it is possible.

This is the only thing I disagree with. Misery might like company, but I hate misery. Misery is poison and not at all empowering to a person. If people are miserable they are missing a valuable message about what they are doing. Misery is a clear sign that their current actions are not working that a positive change is called for.

Happiness is an entitled birthright of everyone.......and if ya ain't happy, yer doin' somethin' wrong.

Most complaining is impotent whining, and voiced in such a way ( non-constructive) that it doesn't identify what people want, only what they do NOT want.

Complaining constructively to the manufacturers AND retailers first will get more and better results than complaining to one's peers in forums like this. The reason most people don't direct their complaints to those parties is they either do not know how, are too lazy to try, or they mistakenly believe that their complaints will be ineffectual.

Well, not complaining at all to the right parties amounts to the same results as complaining to the wrong parties, and we in these forums are definitely the wrong parties to effect any real change.

Sure, some of the companies read these forums.........but that is a very random variable. You can increase the odds in your favour by addressing your concerns DIRECTLY to the company involved, but not even 1 in a 100 collectors does that. Probably not even 1 in 1000.

I mean if we are going to go by math.......10 voices mean nothing, and so do 100, but 1000 voices starts to say something.

That's because of the assumption that for every 1 voice, there's 10 others who share that view.

I feel that is complainers directed their thoughts directly to the manufacturers more often, they'd add up to that 1000+ count and probably get better results in the process.

But that's just my opinion.

I tried complaining........even tried "negative editorializing" where I just ranted that something was crap without an aim to seeing it made better......and ultimately its never satisfied me. Instead, I get my own "revenge" by not buying something if I do not like it, and vote on something that way.

This is the only thing I disagree with. Misery might like company, but I hate misery. Misery is poison and not at all empowering to a person. If people are miserable they are missing a valuable message about what they are doing. Misery is a clear sign that their current actions are not working that a positive change is called for.

Happiness is an entitled birthright of everyone.......and if ya ain't happy, yer doin' somethin' wrong.

Most complaining is impotent whining, and voiced in such a way ( non-constructive) that it doesn't identify what people want, only what they do NOT want.

Complaining constructively to the manufacturers AND retailers first will get more and better results than complaining to one's peers in forums like this. The reason most people don't direct their complaints to those parties is they either do not know how, are too lazy to try, or they mistakenly believe that their complaints will be ineffectual.

Well, not complaining at all to the right parties amounts to the same results as complaining to the wrong parties, and we in these forums are definitely the wrong parties to effect any real change.

Sure, some of the companies read these forums.........but that is a very random variable. You can increase the odds in your favour by addressing your concerns DIRECTLY to the company involved, but not even 1 in a 100 collectors does that. Probably not even 1 in 1000.

I mean if we are going to go by math.......10 voices mean nothing, and so do 100, but 1000 voices starts to say something.

That's because of the assumption that for every 1 voice, there's 10 others who share that view.

I feel that is complainers directed their thoughts directly to the manufacturers more often, they'd add up to that 1000+ count and probably get better results in the process.

But that's just my opinion.

I tried complaining........even tried "negative editorializing" where I just ranted that something was crap without an aim to seeing it made better......and ultimately its never satisfied me. Instead, I get my own "revenge" by not buying something if I do not like it, and vote on something that way.

Yup, your right. I've made a few attempts at "constructive criticism" here. I thought it would be a good idea to do a "constructive criticism" thread or something where we can list our issues with the line and maybe suggest ways to fix those issues. I think it could work if we could find the "diamond in the rough" as it were (having to slog through the inane, whiny complaints to get to the ones that matter or can be fixed).

Problem is, it is SO much easier to complain and whine then it is to act. Saying is easier than doing.

Sometimes it makes you wonder just WHAT people care about when it comes to their hobbies and interests. Do they WANT to have "good things" happen? There was a lot of backlash against the T-Crotches and Hasbro did something. Are we, as fans and consumers that disorganized, inept, or impotent that we can't provide constructive feedback? It seems so. Its easier to complain to your coworkers about the boss, hoping the boss overhears and fixes things then to go to the boss and complain directly to them in the hopes they will fix things.

Sometimes it makes you wonder just WHAT people care about when it comes to their hobbies and interests. Do they WANT to have "good things" happen? There was a lot of backlash against the T-Crotches and Hasbro did something. Are we, as fans and consumers that disorganized, inept, or impotent that we can't provide constructive feedback? It seems so. Its easier to complain to your coworkers about the boss, hoping the boss overhears and fixes things then to go to the boss and complain directly to them in the hopes they will fix things.

The T-crotch matter is a good one to cite because in the midst of all the complaints there was the simple germ of a statement: "the fans did not like the T-crotches and wanted the figures to go back to the o-rings". That was the predominating complaint and it was really easy to pick up from all the posts.

Now.......if you ask " What's wrong with the 25th Ann. figures??" you 'll get 9,000 different answers from 500 different people. So many different POV's going off in all manner of directions, and more than a few are contradictory--even from the same posters.

I think things like fan polls that set a criteria to vote on help in this, but really only if they get enough votes. The disparate voices will remain, but at least some kind of "single" voice can come from that.

For example--if someone posted a poll of the "existing character most needing a fix" would it be Duke's arms, or Major Bludd's, or Flint's gloves etc?

That's in a perfect world though, something we are still seeking.

You mention Major Bludd significantly, but you don't understand WHY people are complaining about the figure. It has nothing to do with "newbies vs geezers" (or however you wanna term it). It is about lackluster quality in a product a company wants us to purchase.

You yourself mentioned you like "well-articulated figures"....yet you don't see what is wrong with the Bludd figure? I do not believe there is a single person anywhere that likes Bludd's arm the way it is. Anyone even remotely familiar with the 25h line knows the figures are intended to be the "most articulated ever". Hasbro hyped that up a lot. THAT is what we complain about.

I'll agree with you on Bludd's lack of articulation, but I was referring to his head sculpt.

I hear some fans say he "doesn't look right," but since I have no pre-existing idea of who Major Bludd is, I can't say "Yeah, that's wrong." I guess that was the point of my original question, "Do older fans get annoyed when a figure comes out that doesn't live up to their expectations (Bludd) or they feel has been done to death (Snake Eyes) and newer fans can't see where the gripes are coming from?"

I'll agree with you on Bludd's lack of articulation, but I was referring to his head sculpt.

I hear some fans say he "doesn't look right," but since I have no pre-existing idea of who Major Bludd is, I can't say "Yeah, that's wrong." I guess that was the point of my original question, "Do older fans get annoyed when a figure comes out that doesn't live up to their expectations (Bludd) or they feel has been done to death (Snake Eyes) and newer fans can't see where the gripes are coming from?"

The complaint isn't that he "doesn't look right" per se. Major Bludd was supposed to be out in wave 7. The figure consisted of Zartan's body a new right arm and a new head. He was pushed back to a later wave because something happened to the figure. What happened? The messed up the head somehow. They didn't push him back to fix the arm. They didn't push him back to give him a unique body. They broke the one part that was unique.

For sake of argument, your a new fan, right? What do YOU think of the fact 26% of the figures we've gotten (not including variants) are Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Duke?

I can understand that. Being an "old fan", I guess, since I grew up with RAH, I can't help but think that it was nice when almost EVERY FIGURE was a completely new sculpt. Mind you, I'm not talking about the initial 13, of course, but once the line started going it was a very rare exception to the rule, usually only mail-ins or certain vehicle drivers. I miss those days... the 25th figures are nice but because of all the reused parts (not to mention entire figures) it seems to lack the same amount of effort that was put into RAH.

Meh, sign of the times, I guess. Plastic IS more expensive, after all...