FlyingFigg's guide to unifying your 25th Cobra Troopers

FlyingFigg

Hi Guys,

I present to you my fellow Joe collectors; my solution to getting your Cobra Troopers to match (ie the red sigil, black gear trooper from the 1st Cobra 5 pack). All you'll need is pretty much what you'd have in your collection already, a can of flat black model paint, a fine tip paint brush, and a #1 Phillips head screwdriver.

speedy2-001.jpg

speedy2-002.jpg

speedy2-003.jpg

speedy2-004.jpg

speedy2-043.jpg

speedy2-044.jpg

Refer to this thread http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showt...;#entry16459518 regarding the boil and pop method of swapping arms. Instead of swapping the entire forearm, you could remove the gloves from the Target Exclusive HISS tank driver instead.

speedy2-045.jpg

speedy2-046.jpg

speedy2-047.jpg

Using a #1 Phillips head screwdriver, turn the screw in the troopers leg counter-clockwise to loosen and remove. The screw is pretty small, make sure you don't lose it!

speedy2-055.jpg

More often than not, once the screw is removed, the outside part of the upper thigh will give way freely. Occasionaly you may have to pry it with a small flat head screwdriver. Always pry the outside thigh away from the inside thigh should you come across this.

speedy2-056-1.jpg

To remove the inside thigh: Turn the inside thigh so you can see the ball joint that the thigh sits into. simply hold your thumb against the thigh right beside the ball joint. Place your index finger at the knee part of the thigh and pull up with your index finger. The thigh will pop right out of the socket.

speedy2-056-2.jpg

Make sure you keep track of which parts go to which leg. You could do them one at a time if that helps you keep orgainized. Reverse the process to attach new leg from one of the silver sigiled troopers.

speedy2-056-3.jpg

Once your done your trooper should look like this.

speedy2-057.jpg

To remove the trooper's head place your thumb under his chin, and your index finger on the top of his head (crown) lift with your thumb.

speedy2-057-2.jpg

Voila! Couldn't be easier.

speedy2-057-3.jpg

speedy2-057-4.jpg

speedy2-058.jpg

Using a fine tip paint brush and flat black model paint (available at any hooby store) Paint the red neck of the trooper black, take extra time and care painting around the collar to ensure no smudging of the blue collar.

speedy2-059.jpg

Allow to dry.

speedy2-059-2.jpg

speedy2-060.jpg

Swap web gear with the trooper.

speedy2-061.jpg

Swap heads with the desired trooper. Tip: Stinger Drivers and Target Hiss Tank drivers have slight variations in the facial details, I switch them up with my blue shirts so they don't look like carbon copies of each other but rather a horde of different people in uniform.

speedy2-062.jpg

And there you go.

speedy2-063.jpg

speedy2-064.jpg

speedy2-065.jpg

Repeat as necessary.

speedy2-066.jpg

speedy2-067.jpg

I painted Scarface's face mask, and gave him the webgear from the Target HISS Tank Driver to finish him off. I like how he looks now.

speedy2-068.jpg

speedy2-074.jpg

speedy2-075.jpg

Note: When removing the legs of your troopers, a little white plastic insert that the ball joint rest against may or may not fall out of the outside thigh. Replace by putting back into the leg so that the cupped half will sit againt the ball joint when reassembling. This does not happen too often.

speedy2-xtra.jpg

So that's pretty much it. I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you find this usefull. If there are any further questions please ask. I or someone who knows more than I will surely answer your question. So all that's left to say is..

-

-

-

-

BUY MY AIR TROOPERS!!!!!

speedy2-buy.jpg

The downside to converting my entire Cobra Blueshirt army to 'proper' troops was the vast amounts of Air Troopers I had to get! I really don't want so many and I'm looking to get rid of 15 to 20 of them. So if your not going to do this procedure yourself, and would like to buy some of my Air Troopers let me know. If you want me to fix their arms, paint the facemask from red to black whatever, I'll do it. PM me if interested. Deals can be struck! I accept Paypal, cheques, cash, political favours, first born children. I'm gonna give you guys two weeks, and then they're going on ebay.

Thanks,

FlyingFigg

Note: The 'diaper crotch how to' has been postponed for a 'how to fix your Vipers' @bH@

man awsome dio lol.

Son of a ....... ;)

It's alright - came out like a commercial or intermission.

You should see if they'll let you do a dio-specific thread. You could do a new episode like once a month or whenever you had time. Think it would be a hit!

man awsome dio lol.

Son of a ....... ;)

It's alright - came out like a commercial or intermission.

It's cool, I'm just busting his chops. In my heart I knew that even though I put in gigantic red letters and the begining of the thread that read: "Attention: Please do not post in this thread until I have finished, I will remove this warning once I am done." Some one was going to. I'm just glad it was one of my buddies. :)

You should see if they'll let you do a dio-specific thread. You could do a new episode like once a month or whenever you had time. Think it would be a hit!

Thanks man!

That would be cool, the only draw back is you would not believe how much work this took me. I'm no expert (clearly), and I'm learning as I go. Maybe it'll get a little easier with time.

Trevor man... excellent work. I need to see pics of your army once you get this box...

Thanks buddy!

Funny you should say that, I'm installing new shelves in my toy room, because my Joe collection is now to large to fit on the shelves I have them on. I'll post the pics once I'm done.

Let's see the pics from everyone else's collection! I know you have them people! The collections thread on this board is not posted in nearly enough!