"Raiders of the Lost Ark" question & Belloq eats a fly....

Fraggus

Anyone else know the scene I'm talking about? LoL...if not it's the scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where Indy is threatening to blow up the Ark with a rocket launcher and Belloq is looking up speaking to him...you see a little fly buzzin' around his face and eventually it goes on his mouth and he eats it! Unless I'm seeing things...anyone else notice this?

Also I have a question about "Raiders"...in the Well of Souls how did those snakes get in there and how were they still alive after how many years again? I just wondered that the other day..not a big deal but just curious...I know it's a movie and all :)

And does this fall into the category of it 'just being a movie, shut up dickwad and go with it'...how come the army wanted just Indiana Jones to go into the Tannis digging site with hundreds of German soldiers and tanks and bombs and stuff? Did they not know the severity of the whole project or...?

And at the beginning...why did that guy try to shoot Indiana? You know the guy with Sapito? Was he trying to STOP Indy from obtaining the Fertility Idol? And if he was working with the Havitos, why'd they kill the guy?

ONE more question...who is that dude when Indiana gets on the plane to Egypt? You know..the guy with the newspaper who gives Indy the evil-poop-eye. I know the actual fella worked on the effects I believe? of the Indiana Jones films...but what was his character in the movie? Was it an American Government official of some sort just makin' sure Indiana gets on the plane?

ANYHOO not nitpicking I still and will always love these movies...just wondering if any Indy afficianados might know is all :D

Anyone else know the scene I'm talking about? LoL...if not it's the scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where Indy is threatening to blow up the Ark with a rocket launcher and Belloq is looking up speaking to him...you see a little fly buzzin' around his face and eventually it goes on his mouth and he eats it! Unless I'm seeing things...anyone else notice this?

Also I have a question about "Raiders"...in the Well of Souls how did those snakes get in there and how were they still alive after how many years again? I just wondered that the other day..not a big deal but just curious...I know it's a movie and all :)

And does this fall into the category of it 'just being a movie, shut up dickwad and go with it'...how come the army wanted just Indiana Jones to go into the Tannis digging site with hundreds of German soldiers and tanks and bombs and stuff? Did they not know the severity of the whole project or...?

And at the beginning...why did that guy try to shoot Indiana? You know the guy with Sapito? Was he trying to STOP Indy from obtaining the Fertility Idol? And if he was working with the Havitos, why'd they kill the guy?

ONE more question...who is that dude when Indiana gets on the plane to Egypt? You know..the guy with the newspaper who gives Indy the evil-poop-eye. I know the actual fella worked on the effects I believe? of the Indiana Jones films...but what was his character in the movie? Was it an American Government official of some sort just makin' sure Indiana gets on the plane?

ANYHOO not nitpicking I still and will always love these movies...just wondering if any Indy afficianados might know is all :D

He didn't actually eat it

the answer is movie magic. like how Indy is threatening the Germans with an RPG, which was not invented yet.

Heh...I've pondered these as well. Let me see what I can do...

I've see that too, but it's like he doesn't break character. I think the fly flies out when he starts talking again, but I need to watch it again myself.

I think there's all kinds of underground "pockets" there in Tanis where they could get in through the walls. That's what gives Indy the idea to smash the wall in to get out of the Well of the Souls; he sees the snakes coming through the wall from...somewhere. He knew it had to lead somewhere else.

Indy just knew where the pieces of the puzzle were so to speak that would lead to the Ark. He knew Abner Ravenwood made it his passion to search for the Ark, so he would have clues. But unfortunately the Nazis knew that as well. I guess they hoped Indy could get to him before the Nazis would. And his search led him right into the lion's den.

He wasn't with the Hovitos; it was as if he would use Indy to actually find the temple, then with Indy out of the way, I guess he figured he'd take his chances in the temple himself to get the idol.

I too think he was a German spy; how else did they know to look for Abner in Nepal? And you might be right about the Lucasfilm guy playing the part. It sure looks like him; Joe Johnston, I think? He's one of the special effects guys I think. Hope this helps!

The guy on the plane was the dude with the German spy with the squeaky voice. You know the one that shows up in Nepal and burns his hand on the headpiece to the Staff of Ra? It's been awhile since I've seen the film but I'm certain it was him.

The guy on the plane was the dude with the German spy with the squeaky voice. You know the one that shows up in Nepal and burns his hand on the headpiece to the Staff of Ra? It's been awhile since I've seen the film but I'm certain it was him.

Your refering to Toht

I was so happy his face melted at the end

I have to rewatch Raiders for this fly

Too bad you didn't post this over the weekend ,it was on sci fi on both saturday and sunday I could of caught it during one of the showings

Well, that's what I used to think as well; he looks ALOT like Toht. But look again sometime. I think they even talk about it in the "special features" DVD that comes with the trilogy set.

Well, that's what I used to think as well; he looks ALOT like Toht. But look again sometime. I think they even talk about it in the "special features" DVD that comes with the trilogy set.

You're right, it's not Toht (who I thought it was for many years too). The german spy is actually played by Dennis Muren, special effects artist from ILM. I don't think the character had a name though, he was just some random Nazi bastard.

Thanks Devil Bat! I'm happy with those answers ;)

..didn't know about the RPG not being invented at that time LoL...crazy...maybe it was a top secret weapon the Nazis had access to prior to everyone knowing about it kinda thing....

Also the fly never leaves Belloqs mouth it stays in there from what I remember LoL! That is a true testament to his acting ability for sure! Stays in character like a champ!

And Wheeljack for shame!!! You mean to tell me you DONT own Raiders on DVD? HOW dare you!.......;):)

And Wheeljack for shame!!! You mean to tell me you DONT own Raiders on DVD? HOW dare you!.......;):)

I own the trilogy DVD collection that came out a few years back but I don't have access to the main TV in our living room because the family is always on it

I do have a very small TV/DVD player(not my main tv by any means) but to see a fly go in his mouth on a small screen would be hard to see

I guess I may have to on it tonight after the others go to bed to see this scene

Thanks Devil Bat! I'm happy with those answers ;)

..didn't know about the RPG not being invented at that time LoL...crazy...maybe it was a top secret weapon the Nazis had access to prior to everyone knowing about it kinda thing....

Also the fly never leaves Belloqs mouth it stays in there from what I remember LoL! That is a true testament to his acting ability for sure! Stays in character like a champ!

Thanks Fraggus! I'm no expert, but I'm a pretty-big DVD fan, especially when it comes to the "special features/behind-the-scenes" stuff. I'm fascinated by the inner workings of a movie set and what all goes into making the films. Plus I love all things Indy. (lol)