The New GI Joe Movie Is Gonna Kill Off The 25th Anni. Line

lldjslim

The reason I say that because it is a live action movie.

The new movie should have been a cartoon like it was back in 1987.

I'll bet you real money that if the recent Transformers had been a cartoon, it wouldn't have generated anywhere near the success it did. Despite all the inroads, cartoons (with the possible exception of Pixar) are generally considered a kid thing, and the key market demographic of 18-30 year olds would likely avoid the film, regardless of the rating.

A live action film WILL get a ton of promotion, it WILL make REAL money at the box office, and generally perform a magnitude greater than just an animated movie.

Something else to think about is that even if they had done the movie, it would NOT have been a continuation of RAH, it would have been a reboot anyway. So many of the complaints about the liveaction film would have still been valid.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "gut feelings" on the movie, is that it's going to stink to high heavens and be released very quickly to DVD. which is where I'll make my viewing of it, and of course I could be entirely, completely WRONG on this, but isn't sharing such thoughts all part of the fun?

If it's GREAT....that will be a GOOD thing (thanks Martha) and we'll all rejoice and reap from the benefits it will produce. If it does STINK, the voices who claimed it might, will be drowned out and slapped down by those who think we just ENJOY being right about such a thing, as though we just WANT everything G.I.Joe related to "SUCK" and we're all closet "haters".

On the subject of whether or not, a stinky movie will hurt the toy line?

I dunno, but my "gut feelings" would lead to me FEEL it might. It certainly wouldn't help in attracting NEW fans of the toys, but Hasbro has definitely benefited (monetarily wise) from us old hanger-on'ers, so they should feel comfortable in producing more toys for us, as they are currently, without too much interuption?

Let me ask everyone this, how many of you are going to stop buying the 25th line if the movie bombs?

If you like it now and it is doing good why would the line do any worse because of the movie. If the movie does bad I could see them not make movie toys anymore and not make a second movie and perhaps call off a new cartoon.

The only way the movie would have any kind of influence on the 25th line is if the movie does good and new fans start buying the 25th stuff. The movie could help but I don't think it will hurt.

Hasbro has very long term plans to continue the Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers and Indiana Jones lines. These lines are darn near going to last forever. They might not be around a few years from now looking exactly how they look now as far as styles go but we would see an evolution in the styles like how Star Wars has improved from the Power Of Thye Force 2 Collection to the 30th Ann. Collection.

It certainly wouldn't help in attracting NEW fans of the toys, but Hasbro has definitely benefited (monetarily wise) from us old hanger-on'ers, so they should feel comfortable in producing more toys for us, as they are currently, without too much interuption?

This is how I see it too. There seems to be plenty of support right now that the line is doing really good. Better than it has since the RAH days. The 25th line is even gaining new fans without a movie right now.

Let me ask everyone this, how many of you are going to stop buying the 25th line if the movie bombs?

If you like it now and it is doing good why would the line do any worse because of the movie. If the movie does bad I could see them not make movie toys anymore and not make a second movie and perhaps call off a new cartoon.

The only way the movie would have any kind of influence on the 25th line is if the movie does good and new fans start buying the 25th stuff. The movie could help but I don't think it will hurt.

Hasbro has very long term plans to continue the Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers and Indiana Jones lines. These lines are darn near going to last forever. They might not be around a few years from now looking exactly how they look now as far as styles go but we would see an evolution in the styles like how Star Wars has improved from the Power Of Thye Force 2 Collection to the 30th Ann. Collection.

trust me there going to like it, its just a bunch of talk now, the same when Transformers was comming out, and the toys will be just as hot, just like TF and indy. and SW

My "gut feelings" on the movie, is that it's going to stink to high heavens and be released very quickly to DVD. which is where I'll make my viewing of it, and of course I could be entirely, completely WRONG on this, but isn't sharing such thoughts all part of the fun?

this movie isn't going to be very good, I am confident about that. but that won't influence how fast it gets to DVD. every movie is released on DVD quickly, so that isn't really a sound analogy anymore.

you're showing your age, VH. :D the kids probably understand the significance of that because they are used to movies going staright from teh theatre to DVD. heck, there are theatres out here taht still have movies at the same time they make it to DVD.

I just have that gut feelin' that if the new GI Joe movie does well in the box office, the 25th anni. line will be on the endangered species list.

Your gut is wrong.

I have it on reasonably good authority that 25th-style Joes and comic packs are continuing right through and well past the release of the movie product and will continue for the foreseeable future.

The movie stuff is going to run parallel to the regular lines, from what I understand.

Yeah, and considering Hasbro did the exact same thing with the Star Wars line, it's pretty damn likely that this will happen with the Joes, now that the line has proven to be a success.

Nothing to worry about.

And it's also happening with the Transformers stuff as well. Oh I forgot. The success of the movie sunk the Classics line. @smilepunch@

Aren't they bringing Classics back though?

Anyway, GI Joe has a lot more in common, overall, with the Star Wars line. As interest in SW dies down, they're probably looking at "replacing" the void with GI Joe, to a certain degree. It's very similar to what happened in the '80s.

Yeah I know. It's hard to be sarcastic on-line,isn't it?

this movie isn't going to be very good, I am confident about that.

Die hard Transformers fan that I am, even I will admit Transformers was not cinematic masterpiece. But it was an awesome popcorn flick, which is all GI Joe needs to be. My only real expectation for GI Joe is to see some cool action sequences, some ninjas, plenty of gunplay and a lot of sh!t blowing up. I believe that it will deliver in those areas given Sommers' resume, and that's what will draw in audiences a LOT more than human drama.

Basically, anyone going into a summer action flick that features a guy in a metal mask and ninjas is NOT going to be an Oscar-calibre film.

this movie isn't going to be very good, I am confident about that.

Die hard Transformers fan that I am, even I will admit Transformers was not cinematic masterpiece. But it was an awesome popcorn flick, which is all GI Joe needs to be. My only real expectation for GI Joe is to see some cool action sequences, some ninjas, plenty of gunplay and a lot of sh!t blowing up. I believe that it will deliver in those areas given Sommers' resume, and that's what will draw in audiences a LOT more than human drama.

Basically, anyone going into a summer action flick that features a guy in a metal mask and ninjas is NOT going to be an Oscar-calibre film.

Agreed; I don't see dennis quaid walking down the aisle for an oscar for this one (or any other one for that matter :P ).

Am I concerned that I won't like it? Sure. But I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Would I like this film to be awesome? Absolutely. I'd like Gijoe to have the kind of rebirth that transformers is having.

I don't think anyone's saying that this film should be (or could be) Snake Eyes meets Shakespeare, but I would like a decent story (at least as good as the tf one, which really wasn't that good, good enough for the type of film it was, for the most part), and I'd like to see some nostalgic elements thrown in.

I don't want a rah rehash, however. If this thing is gonna work, it's gotta stand on it's own, and not rely too much on the original cartoon/comic etc. I know there's the whole stigma that hollywood screws up franchises, but change is needed here; it ain't 1984 anymore. Times have changed and gijoe must change w/ them to stay (or get into) the game.

this movie isn't going to be very good, I am confident about that. but that won't influence how fast it gets to DVD. every movie is released on DVD quickly, so that isn't really a sound analogy anymore.

you're showing your age, VH. :D the kids probably understand the significance of that because they are used to movies going staright from teh theatre to DVD. heck, there are theatres out here taht still have movies at the same time they make it to DVD.

The bigger point I was trying to make, is that I'll be waiting for it to be released on DVD before viewing it, and not so much the technical side of when movies go from theater to DVD or even STRAIGHT to DVD.

Maybe this G.I.Joke movie will go straight to DVD? Would that signify a future Golden Turkey award candidate? ;)

I have it on reasonably good authority that 25th-style Joes and comic packs are continuing right through and well past the release of the movie product and will continue for the foreseeable future.

The movie stuff is going to run parallel to the regular lines, from what I understand.

If true, this would be the best case cenario.

Worst case would be that the movie line/movie style figures linger well after the movie is out of theaters (like the TF toys). I'm getting terrible visions of "Star Ship Troopers"-style Joes who won't even be in the movie just to keep the line going and sell, sell, sell('movie"-style Wild Bill, "movie"-style Dusty, "movie"-style Bazooka.....ugh!)

The best thing I can hope for from the movie is that it's another Street Fighter. Y'know, the Van Damme one. Yes, I absolutely love the movie and consider it a blast to watch. It sucks, it's a terrible movie in every aspect, but it's fun to watch. That's really all I can hope for from the Joe movie, but I don't think it will be successful whatsoever.

...and that movie sucked. I was 7 years old and I thought it was terrible.

At least the live action movie has a chance of being good.

The best thing I can hope for from the movie is that it's another Street Fighter. Y'know, the Van Damme one. Yes, I absolutely love the movie and consider it a blast to watch. It sucks, it's a terrible movie in every aspect, but it's fun to watch. That's really all I can hope for from the Joe movie, but I don't think it will be successful whatsoever.

the street fighter cartoon movie was a lot better. as for the movie, a lot of people in that movie sucks, man mortal combat made S.F. looks like child's play.

...and that movie sucked. I was 7 years old and I thought it was terrible.

At least the live action movie has a chance of being good.

the 87 movie had its good points. 1, just about every Joe was in it, 2, there was a lot of good action Sean's,

and yes it had its bad points too, this was the beginning of the end of gijoe, thy just let it ran till it die in 94,

• 1 month later...

In a certain point of view the movie line is gonna kill off the 25th Anni. line, but still 25th presented good to Joe fans and the movie line won't be as fan loved. But thats just saying before I see em.

If the movie tanks......and there are tons of movie figures clogging the shelves of your local Target and Wal-Mart.....It may cause retailers to be leary of any Joe product in the future. I still don't know what happened at Hasbro for them to go with the 25th line....its almost too good to be true in many ways. Retailers won't see a movie tied into a toy line that did poorly......they will see that the GI Joe BRAND sold poorly.

We all know that toy companies will never say that collectors drive their brick and mortar sales......kids do. Most of us know this is bullcrap but I think distribution goes hand and hand in some of this...(say a wal-mart gets in one case of 25th Joes thats one collector or scalper per area, you always think they are sold out when in fact they are only selling one case per month or so, thats not flying off the shelves, thats poor distribution)...and Joe figures will be all over the toy aisles as the movie hits just like any other movie with a toy property. When a toy line takes up half the aisle and is selling out thats kicking ass in the toy aisle....like the Transformer movie line.

Plus, at the Con they stated that the 25th/Modern line will end or go on hiatus until the movie line is done. I think the success of the movie line has a little more to do with the success of the 25th in the future than we want to admit......from a retailer standpoint.

Plus, at the Con they stated that the 25th/Modern line will end or go on hiatus until the movie line is done. I think the success of the movie line has a little more to do with the success of the 25th in the future than we want to admit......from a retailer standpoint.

Exactly, the 25th line is over anyway. What is debatable is whether we will see classic figures during or after the movie line.

Transformers Universe took a full year after the movie to be released, and so once summer 09 hits, i figure that I have most of a year to wait for real joes to come out again.

@can@

I know it's fun to try and speculate on just about everything that involves our G.I.Joes, but I have to say I've just about given up on trying to figure out what could POSSIBLY be going thru the minds of Hasbro or the retailers, when it comes to these toys, and what they WANT and what they expect out of it...besides our MONEY?

I think of all the crap leftover on the pegs, from all the movie based toylines out there, everything from Spiderman, Hulk, Batman to Pirates of the Caribbean and so on, that eventually have to go on major clearance, and yet just as soon as the next sequel of these movies comes out, BAM...the retailers are stocking them right up with no hesitation over how long the other crap took to get rid of and didn't sell.

So if a movie line of G.I.Joe tanks and stinks up the toy aisles with litter, I guess I would have to doubt that it would prevent them (the retailers) from doing it all over again with other Joe product in the future, but who really knows.

Not to Stir the pot. but at my local Walmart the toy dept manager said that they had a Hasbro rep come in (1st time in the almost 20 years of its existance) and tell them that they plan to do a "reset" for the joe Section to make room for the new movie line. and that they plan to sell through what they have already produced and then the movie line will take over. now keep in mind this is information relayed through a dept manager. He told me that the rep will be back in August and I asked him would he and his assistant inform me of his imminent arrivial and that I wanted to speak directly to him. they both assured me that they would inform me of his date of arrivial and will call me when he is in the store. Since they are both VERY good at keeping me informed of when new joes hit the shelves i am sure they will let me know when he shows up. I plan to ask him alot of hard questions and see what (if anything) he knows, and he might not know alot since he is a lower level rep. but i guess we will see and I will keep you all informed when I know something.

Lets keep a positive outlook on the future, after all who knows what will happen and it dont make good sense to stress over what we dont know and cant control

I plan to ask him alot of hard questions and see what (if anything) he knows, and he might not know alot since he is a lower level rep. but i guess we will see and I will keep you all informed when I know something.

You understand that he's not beholden to answer ANY questions from you, or even speak with you at all? His business will be with the store itself, THEY are his customer and thus his concern--you are the retailer's customer, thus NONE of his concern. I would not expect much, if anything at all.

I plan to ask him alot of hard questions and see what (if anything) he knows, and he might not know alot since he is a lower level rep. but i guess we will see and I will keep you all informed when I know something.

You understand that he's not beholden to answer ANY questions from you, or even speak with you at all? His business will be with the store itself, THEY are his customer and thus his concern--you are the retailer's customer, thus NONE of his concern. I would not expect much, if anything at all.

I am aware that he has no requirement to answer any of my questions. but i intend to ask some anyway.

I dont think it would be good for the image of the Hasbro company as a whole if he just brushed off the people who keep him in a job. anyways no matter the outcome if i am able to catch up with him i plan to TRY to get some sort of input as to what and how the lineup will be so that there wont be anymore confusion on what we are getting or arent.

after all its worth a shot, isnt it?