1995 "Battle Rangers" Shipwreck prototype is featured...

Heathtown

It seems interesting, not so much original from the other figures that have been seen. But still worth a look:

http://yojoe.com/reviews/figures/shipwreck95.shtml

Interesting spin. I'd have readily accepted that design as an updated Gung-ho because I'd buy it as Shipwreck--mostly because of the bare arms.

To my mind, there's a certain value in maintaining iconography with these characters.

Shipwreck is a sailor, but they have had him also as a SEAL. That makes things a bit dicey in some respects because the looks of SEALS can vary so much that they can look like other troopers.

The Battle Corps version of Beachhead for example, with the Protec helmet and all, could easily be "Shipwreck" as a SEAL--simply guised in a Boarding Party role.

That's not to say that Shipwreck or other characters HAVE TO remain close to their original looks--he wearing sailor dungarees and white hat all the time.

Shipwreck would work as a Small Boats Coxswain, or even a salvage diver. But putting him in Jungle-stripes with a machine gun--although "accurate" for SEALS--doesn't really fit in my mind.

Yeah, I'm not really seeing 'Shipwreck' in that. If it weren't for the orange, I'd almost say Recondo. I could even believe it as-is for an Ambush update. There's just nothing about him that marks him as Shipwreck to me- heck, nothing even marks him as being Navy. Throw an anchor tattoo on his bicep or something!

It just reminds me of the 1993 'Gone Fishing' Bazooka... He's so drastically different that if I just found him loose, there's no way I'd know he was one of the characters I grew up with.

And people complain about repaints now like it's something new... ;)

I've loved the Battle Rangers offerings since I first saw them in Tomart's AFD years ago... 1995 would've been something to write home about, IMO. Instead we went out with the whimper that was 1994, highlighted mostly by the 30th Anniversary figures and Joe Colton instead of anything released in the main line.

I like the idea of Shipwreck being in jungle commando type gear, as a SEAL. Those proposed colours looked pretty horrible though. Not as bad as some from that era, but still, not great.