Is anyone surprised about the religiousness of the toys?

amazingdm

Yeah but that was a long time ago. Doesn't make it right.

Its not an issue of whether its right or wrong, which is something you are getting all hooked up on.

Its an UNDENIABLE aspect of life these days and it has been for a long time.

Its not a question of whether you choose to believe or not, other people do. Denying that is foolhardy.

They embrace those beliefs and take comfort and guidance in them. If you make your way in life by other means then that's your entitlement.

Placing these kinds of icons on toys, in this example, simply acknowledges this fact of life. Religion is a part of the modern world, it will continue to be a part of this world and all peoples. Utilizing these icons simply acknowledges that religion and mysticism have their roles in fantasy as well as reality.

Heck, Atheism is a faith all on its own, because its takes as much faith to believe in a Universal Negative as it does in a Universal positive. Atheists do not pray that there is a deity, they "pray' that there isn't one.

its like going into the smoking section and saying its not right to smoke....thats my opinion on the fact that people dont think that its right to put religion out there, in a country that uses religion in almost everything.

I'm surprised they did it, not saying they SHOULDNT have done it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, atheism doesn't require any faith. I don't have any belief at all. It's an absence of belief. There could be a god for all I know I'm just not going to guess that there is one. I hope there is a god/heaven.

Having no faith at all requires that you believe that the rest of the faithful are wrong and that you are right, for your own non-belief to work. The mind, like Nature, abhors a vacuum.

You hold to an idea that the Universe around you works by a certain set of rules, that end up being different in some respects from what others believe--which is what faith is.

This is why subscribing to a Universal Negative requires the same amount of faith.

No, atheism doesn't require any faith. I don't have any belief at all. It's an absence of belief. There could be a god for all I know I'm just not going to guess that there is one. I hope there is a god/heaven.

Having no faith at all requires that you believe that the rest of the faithful are wrong and that you are right, for your own non-belief to work. The mind, like Nature, abhors a vacuum.

You hold to an idea that the Universe around you works by a certain set of rules, that end up being different in some respects from what others believe--which is what faith is.

This is why subscribing to a Universal Negative requires the same amount of faith.

You're making absolutely no sense

Well, spell out what you DO believe and then look at what I have written just now.

No need to write it out here, look at the person who stares back at you in the mirror and ask them.

If you believe there is no God, no spiritual essence about people, no after-life etc.....and that the world is just what your senses can detect and measure with tools--then all of what I have said applies.

Establishing ANY kind of belief, positive or negative, passionate or indifferent demands faith that the world around you is as you believe you see it--because if its not........then something else is at work.

Is that too hard for a supposedly intelligent college guy to grasp? @smilepunch@

Well, spell out what you DO believe and then look at what I have written just now.

No need to write it out here, look at the person who stares back at you in the mirror and ask them.

If you believe there is no God, no spiritual essence about people, no after-life etc.....and that the world is just what your senses can detect and measure with tools--then all of what I have said applies.

Establishing ANY kind of belief, positive or negative, passionate or indifferent demands faith that the world around you is as you believe you see it--because if its not........then something else is at work.

Is that too hard for a supposedly intelligent college guy to grasp? @smilepunch@

I don't "believe there is no god"...

I have a complete absence of belief either way about spiritual things

Rrrrriiiiigggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhttttttt.

And yet you express surprise at the "religiousness" of some toys.

Maybe some introspection or education will illuminate you as to why this need not be a surprising thing.

BTW, How did that AIDS Foundation thing that you were all adamant about turn out?

Rrrrriiiiigggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhttttttt.

And yet you express surprise at the "religiousness" of some toys.

Maybe some introspection or education will illuminate you as to why this need not be a surprising thing.

BTW, How did that AIDS Foundation thing that you were all adamant about turn out?

I don't see why it's surprising that I'd find it surprising. It seems like there was a massive movement to abolish the word christmas at a lot of public places.

It just seems like a hot topic to put on a kids toy.

it doesnt matter...its on the money NOW!...its on the pledge NOW!...its built under God NOW!....you got the point when i made the statement. you are aware that the US is a God fearing country, and that you could of added the point of correcting me...i do know this, making a big deal about religion is something that alot of people do, and everyone doesnt believe in a higher spirit.....most people in this country do, and God is going to come up in every situation with someone, sometime, somewhere here, in america....just got to get used to it.

I am not aware that the US is a God Fearing country, I am aware that the US is a Country of religious freedom, and people are free to worship as they see fit.

I don't fear God (I don't even believe God is real), and I'm an American.

This is one nation under Law, if it weren't, then the Ten Commandments would be law, however, I've broken most of them, and lemme tell ya, I don't fear anything from having done so.

it doesnt matter...its on the money NOW!...its on the pledge NOW!...its built under God NOW!....you got the point when i made the statement. you are aware that the US is a God fearing country, and that you could of added the point of correcting me...i do know this, making a big deal about religion is something that alot of people do, and everyone doesnt believe in a higher spirit.....most people in this country do, and God is going to come up in every situation with someone, sometime, somewhere here, in america....just got to get used to it.

I am not aware that the US is a God Fearing country, I am aware that the US is a Country of religious freedom, and people are free to worship as they see fit.

I don't fear God (I don't even believe God is real), and I'm an American.

This is one nation under Law, if it weren't, then the Ten Commandments would be law, however, I've broken most of them, and lemme tell ya, I don't fear anything from having done so.

I agree.

Sometimes I have encountered people who feel they are right just because they are in the majority.

Well enough with the religious stuff. It doesn't bother me, just surprises me.

I have posted my personal beliefs on these boards in great detail in the past, and I'm not going to digress here. I'll just simply say, as a Christian, I find many comments here truly disturbing and highly offensive. Yes, I know this is a public forum, and my beliefs can and will be scrutinized, dismissed, ridiculed, blasted, or whatever other verb you want to apply. Everyone's opinion will emerge of course, and rightly so. But to come on here and joke about the divinity of one's cherished Savior is asinine and sophmoric, not to mention incredibly insensitive. And I am equally offended by those that may view Christians as "close-minded" or ignorant simply because they have not travelled the world and experienced other religions or cultures. Maybe that's how some people experience spirituality, but for me, I've found the answers I need in Jesus Christ. It's the message of His and God the Father's love for me and every man, woman, and child that speaks to my heart and makes sense to me. I've studied other religions. Now I've not studied every religion known to man, and I'm no scholar, but I have briefly studied the world's major religions, and none of them speak to my heart personally like Christ and His plan of Salvation.

I just get offended every time Family Guy, South Park, or some other "popular" cartoon irreverently portrays Jesus as this Easter Bunny or Santa-Claus-type, pop-culture figure-of-a-character just for someone's twisted idea of entertainment. Let's see Buddah or Allah be portrayed in such a way and see what happens. I personally don't find it funny to make someone's beliefs a punchline or someone else's religion a joke. Christ died on the cross for me and whoever else would believe on Him and God's Word. Maybe some think that's a cliche or a joke, but to me it's everything. It's the MOST important thing in my life. I just don't take it lightly. God gave up His only Son to die a horrible death and become the ultimate blood sacrifice for all of mankind for all time. Sounds serious? It IS to Christians. THAT'S why it bothers me when someone mocks it or dismisses it in some way. It just seems that there's no line people won't cross these days...

Now let me say I'm not offended by amazingdm's comments or the fact that he's an atheist; heck, we're ALL atheist in a sense until we hear God's Word; right? And even then we can choose to disregard it. God...if you believe in Him...does give us the free will to choose. He will not force us to believe in Him. It's Man that tries to do that. And amazingdm strikes me as the kind of person that's at least open to the notion that there might be a God; he's just not seen or felt anything that has led him to believe that there is. I guess my point is, it's one thing to disbelieve. It's another to ridicule. Like the "George Carlins" of the world; those people that have such a negative view of religion, or Christianity specifically, that they are downright mean or ugly about it for whatever reason. I've read where he has even characterized Christ as some "invisible man in the sky" in a mocking sort-of-way. That's pretty shallow and insensitive to me. I used to think he was hilarious until I read that. Now I can see where someone would say, "Well, The Bible talks about Christ ascending to Heaven or appearing in the Eastern sky upon His return to Earth, and I just have a hard time believing that kind of thing is possible." Fair enough. But accepting Christ into my heart fills me with a hope and peace that nothing in this world can match. If I believe that, then the rest is inconsequential. It's all details after that. I don't need to rely upon what I can see with my eyes or touch with my hands to believe; I just know what I feel in my heart.

I don't know why people these days seem to be so opposed to Christianity. I hope and pray it's not because some nutjob of a "so-called-Christian" did or said something that turned them against anything to do with God.

Now I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm not gonna push my religion down anyone's throat. I just wish people weren't so insensitive to other's beliefs. Why do that? What's the point? You're being clever? That's a discerning notion, to think you might offend something as personal as religious belief just so you can be seen as being clever...

To get back to the topic at hand...I will say this; I can see where amazingdm is suprised by the fact that religious artifacts would be acknowledged in a modern toyline. BUT...any specific belief that is associated with said artifacts isn't being promoted. That's the difference. They're just seen as archaeological relics...even though SOME of them happen to be associated with closely-held beliefs.

P.S. Alvatron, to comment on what you said about not being afraid of breaking The Commandments, Christians are sinners. We're not perfect. For me, I don't obey them out of fear. It's more like not wanting to disappoint your dad that you love and respect with all your heart. We bring about our own trouble and demise by sinning. I just think that God knows what the end result is of sinning. And when bad things happen, it's like He's there to say, "THAT'S why I said not to do that." But maybe that's just me...

We have the creative freedom to express any idea we want regardless of others disagree. I personally find those kinds of jokes hilarious.

"Christ died on the cross for me and whoever else would believe on Him and God's Word. Maybe some think that's a cliche or a joke, but to me it's everything. It's the MOST important thing in my life. I just don't take it lightly. God gave up His only Son to die a horrible death and become the ultimate blood sacrifice for all of mankind for all time. Sounds serious? It IS to Christians. THAT'S why it bothers me when someone mocks it or dismisses it in some way. It just seems that there's no line people won't cross these days...

Now let me say I'm not offended by amazingdm's comments or the fact that he's an atheist; heck, we're ALL atheist in a sense until we hear God's Word; right? And even then we can choose to disregard it. God...if you believe in Him...does give us the free will to choose. He will not force us to believe in Him. It's Man that tries to do that. And amazingdm strikes me as the kind of person that's at least open to the notion that there might be a God; he's just not seen or felt anything that has led him to believe that there is. I guess my point is, it's one thing to disbelieve. It's another to ridicule. Like the "George Carlins" of the world; those people that have such a negative view of religion, or Christianity specifically, that they are downright mean or ugly about it for whatever reason."

I hate to be cold and harsh but I can see why. I have a lot of builtup anger and resentment towards particular religions, but I won't get into why.

"I've read where he has even characterized Christ as some "invisible man in the sky" in a mocking sort-of-way. That's pretty shallow and insensitive to me. I used to think he was hilarious until I read that."

Again what do you expect a sane, rational person to view god as when taken in that context?

"Now I can see where someone would say, "Well, The Bible talks about Christ ascending to Heaven or appearing in the Eastern sky upon His return to Earth, and I just have a hard time believing that kind of thing is possible." Fair enough. But accepting Christ into my heart fills me with a hope and peace that nothing in this world can match. If I believe that, then the rest is inconsequential. It's all details after that. I don't need to rely upon what I can see with my eyes or touch with my hands to believe; I just know what I feel in my heart."

That's fine for you, but please, you's of the world please don't try to change our law or our freedom of speech.

"I don't know why people these days seem to be so opposed to Christianity. I hope and pray it's not because some nutjob of a "so-called-Christian" did or said something that turned them against anything to do with God."

Science has helped I think.

"Now I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm not gonna push my religion down anyone's throat. I just wish people weren't so insensitive to other's beliefs. Why do that? What's the point? You're being clever? That's a discerning notion, to think you might offend something as personal as religious belief just so you can be seen as being clever...

To get back to the topic at hand...I will say this; I can see where amazingdm is suprised by the fact that religious artifacts would be acknowledged in a modern toyline. BUT...any specific belief that is associated with said artifacts isn't being promoted. That's the difference. They're just seen as archaeological relics...even though SOME of them happen to be associated with closely-held beliefs."

Yeah it's not being promoted, and I see nothing wrong with it. I'm just surprised by its presence at all in this PC-let's get rid of christmas-world. (I love christmas!).

"P.S. Alvatron, to comment on what you said about not being afraid of breaking The Commandments, Christians are sinners. We're not perfect. For me, I don't obey them out of fear. It's more like not wanting to disappoint your dad that you love and respect with all your heart. We bring about our own trouble and demise by sinning. I just think that God knows what the end result is of sinning. And when bad things happen, it's like He's there to say, "THAT'S why I said not to do that." But maybe that's just me..."

I think I started to become atheist when teachers started to say "you have to love god more than your own parents".. that was like the last straw

I look at those who believe in supreme being like those who believe in the tooth fairy.

When they are young, they don't know any better because that's what their parents told them. However, if I met an adult who believed in the tooth fairy I'd feel mildly embarrassed for them. But, if that belief in the tooth fairy led to the stunting of life saving advances in medicine out of ignorance (stem cell research,) the death by cancer of women (the stopping of the spread of the HPV vaccine,) the systematic repression of a minority (homosexuals are only the latest in a long line,) the degradation of females (Christianity more in the past, and Islam very much in the present,) and the loss of countless lives (in far too many situations to list, sadly) then I'd have a problem with it.

Just as I do with the belief in God. I understand that for some it's a cherished belief. Well people sure used to love having slaves too (oh, and God was fine with that one by the way.) If the belief in god/allah/higher power of choice was something that was only personal then that would be one thing. But it's not because right now it's a force for evil in the world.

Anyway, about the actual toys. I think it's kind of nice that they include them for authenticities sake.

I look at those who believe in supreme being like those who believe in the tooth fairy.

When they are young, they don't know any better because that's what their parents told them. However, if I met an adult who believed in the tooth fairy I'd feel mildly embarrassed for them. But, if that belief in the tooth fairy led to the stunting of life saving advances in medicine out of ignorance (stem cell research,) the death by cancer of women (the stopping of the spread of the HPV vaccine,) the systematic repression of a minority (homosexuals are only the latest in a long line,) the degradation of females (Christianity more in the past, and Islam very much in the present,) and the loss of countless lives (in far too many situations to list, sadly) then I'd have a problem with it.

Just as I do with the belief in God. I understand that for some it's a cherished belief. Well people sure used to love having slaves too (oh, and God was fine with that one by the way.) If the belief in god/allah/higher power of choice was something that was only personal then that would be one thing. But it's not because right now it's a force for evil in the world.

Anyway, about the actual toys. I think it's kind of nice that they include them for authenticities sake.

Exactly! Agreed on all parts. I also find it sad that kids have to suffer when they are denied knowledge of evolution..

I just want to point out to the people saying that the United States was founded on Judeo-Christian principals that the 10 Commandments are not law. For example, I could cheat on my wife and not go to jail for it despite it being against God's Laws. In addition the Bible speaks a lot about Kingdoms and the idea that we are to be obedient to God or be punished. Who voted for God? The idea of democracy and republicanism actually comes from the ancient Romans (a pagan society I might add). So what are these principals that this country was supposedly founded upon? Yes Jefferson and others believed in a god. And yes Jefferson included "creator" talk in the Declaration of Independence. However Jefferson was a deist that didn't believe Jesus was the "Son Of God" or had performed any supernatural miracles. In fact he published a Bible that had all that stuff cut out. The Constitution of the Unites States has no such talk in it. So I don't think it is accurate to portray the United States has a nation founded on Christian principals just because a single document that was written by one man included a few words about his own personal beliefs in a deistic creator. If someone stood up in a church today and started preaching deistic views they would be thrown out and called a witch. That is all.

ever notice every conversation with your friends, classmates, or on this forum about religion ends up everybody speaking out.

what if there is no god?

or what if they only made up satan to even things out. cause if there was no satan then everybody wouldnt give a crap about being good cause we'd go to heaven anyway.

ever notice every conversation with your friends, classmates, or on this forum about religion ends up everybody speaking out.

what if there is no god?

or what if they only made up satan to even things out. cause if there was no satan then everybody wouldnt give a crap about being good cause we'd go to heaven anyway.

I've actually heard of people thinking atheists are evil since we can't have morals since (in their mind) morals are based on the idea that if you do good you get in heaven

what if there is no god?

I've actually heard of people thinking atheists are evil since we can't have morals since (in their mind) morals are based on the idea that if you do good you get in heaven

Yeah it's kind of disturbing to think that people are only being good because they think they will be rewarded. Though I suppose fear of being punished for doing evil is also a motivator.

the crazy thing is....everyone acts like the people teaching the bible arent men..they have people that twist things like any other "evil men" do(slave owners used God to justify what they did). the fact is that Jesus was real, if u say that he wasnt, then.....read book! someone tell me how the things that are taught in the bible are bad....love, peace, happiness....those are some good things to me. i believe in God, tell me the harm in it!, tell me what bad comes from it! i rather believe in God than man, man is ignorant, self rightous, and just men....nothing more. do u think im going to put my faith science? the same science that contridicts i self every chance it gets. i refuse to believe that a big bang made thinking intellengent beings...or that a fish changed to a horse that changed to a monkey that changed into a man. do u guys really think that u were once monkeys? i dont care if u guys believe in God or not! just come up with proof that he's not......i really think that this topic should be closed, i dont think that it should even matter about our beliefs on a toy/comic fourm. i dont have a problem with athiest....if i can say God's real, they can say he isnt. i just dont see how in '08, when its very aperent that most of the country are christians, that people are in amazment that religion is being shown on figs?! i think that people who feel that the majority doesnt matter are silly,....its what everything is based on! the word in its self "majority" should stop people from saying things like "the majority doesnt count" no matter what year we started putting God on/in stuff in this country, if u turn on the tv, every one that has something to do with the US as far as presidential or ect....will make a statement about GOD, AND THIS COUNTRY, or GOD PROTECTING THIS COUNTRY or GOD BLESS AMERICA. its just something that none believers are going to have to get used to. dont get upset that they portray Jesus as a st.nick type of character, people that feel overpowered or no way of changing minds with facts usually mud sling!

what if there is no god?

Yeah it's kind of disturbing to think that people are only being good because they think they will be rewarded. Though I suppose fear of being punished for doing evil is also a motivator.

YES! that does suck!...but i your a christian, you know that "being good" alone wont save you! takes alot more than that.

I just want to point out to the people saying that the United States was founded on Judeo-Christian principals that the 10 Commandments are not law. For example, I could cheat on my wife and not go to jail for it despite it being against God's Laws. In addition the Bible speaks a lot about Kingdoms and the idea that we are to be obedient to God or be punished. Who voted for God? The idea of democracy and republicanism actually comes from the ancient Romans (a pagan society I might add). So what are these principals that this country was supposedly founded upon? Yes Jefferson and others believed in a god. And yes Jefferson included "creator" talk in the Declaration of Independence. However Jefferson was a deist that didn't believe Jesus was the "Son Of God" or had performed any supernatural miracles. In fact he published a Bible that had all that stuff cut out. The Constitution of the Unites States has no such talk in it. So I don't think it is accurate to portray the United States has a nation founded on Christian principals just because a single document that was written by one man included a few words about his own personal beliefs in a deistic creator. If someone stood up in a church today and started preaching deistic views they would be thrown out and called a witch. That is all.

one man may have wrote it, but a whole lot more signed there name to it, and the 44 state constitutions had explicit religious content to it. Most teachers back in day taught that generation to read using the Bible. All the higher education schools were Christian, and law oriented. So how that does not permeate the country, society, or culture? You do not have to like it or think that it is right, but Christian principles just like enlightenment principles are what this country was based on. One of the biggest arguments the founding Fathers had was that they did not answer to man (king George) but to God.

I'm not surprised at the religiousness of toys, mainly because the Indiana Jones films revolve around the theme of religion (aka the Holy Grail, Ark of the Covenant). However what people have failed to mention is the fact that there are actual Jesus action figures and such. So what of those figures?

As for the IJ Nazi figures missing the swastikas on their arms, I too agree that it makes the figures less movie-accurate. But probably is for the best, since Hasbro wouldn't want people to be offended by it.

I think people are becoming more and more sensitive and sore about issues they shouldn't be. Rather it should promote discussion. Not put-downs, I know more than you/I'm better than you/etc.

::shrug::

one man may have wrote it, but a whole lot more signed there name to it, and the 44 state constitutions had explicit religious content to it. Most teachers back in day taught that generation to read using the Bible. All the higher education schools were Christian, and law oriented. So how that does not permeate the country, society, or culture? You do not have to like it or think that it is right, but Christian principles just like enlightenment principles are what this country was based on. One of the biggest arguments the founding Fathers had was that they did not answer to man (king George) but to God.

State constitutions aside (we are talking about the Unites States itself here) there is a difference between the country being made up by a Christian majority and thus that being reflected in it's society and the nation actually being founded on Christian principals. There is nothing inherently Christian about the United States' foundation. The country could have been founded by Muslims and there would be no difference. Don't think that Muslims would found a democratic country at that point in time? Perhaps not but what about democracy is Christian? Like i said in my earlier post it's a pagan thing. That's why Washington DC looks like ancient Rome and not ancient Jerusalem.

the crazy thing is....everyone acts like the people teaching the bible arent men..they have people that twist things like any other "evil men" do(slave owners used God to justify what they did). the fact is that Jesus was real, if u say that he wasnt, then.....read book! someone tell me how the things that are taught in the bible are bad....love, peace, happiness....those are some good things to me. i believe in God, tell me the harm in it!, tell me what bad comes from it! i rather believe in God than man, man is ignorant, self rightous, and just men....nothing more. do u think im going to put my faith science? the same science that contridicts i self every chance it gets. i refuse to believe that a big bang made thinking intellengent beings...or that a fish changed to a horse that changed to a monkey that changed into a man. do u guys really think that u were once monkeys? i dont care if u guys believe in God or not! just come up with proof that he's not......i really think that this topic should be closed, i dont think that it should even matter about our beliefs on a toy/comic fourm. i dont have a problem with athiest....if i can say God's real, they can say he isnt. i just dont see how in '08, when its very aperent that most of the country are christians, that people are in amazment that religion is being shown on figs?! i think that people who feel that the majority doesnt matter are silly,....its what everything is based on! the word in its self "majority" should stop people from saying things like "the majority doesnt count" no matter what year we started putting God on/in stuff in this country, if u turn on the tv, every one that has something to do with the US as far as presidential or ect....will make a statement about GOD, AND THIS COUNTRY, or GOD PROTECTING THIS COUNTRY or GOD BLESS AMERICA. its just something that none believers are going to have to get used to. dont get upset that they portray Jesus as a st.nick type of character, people that feel overpowered or no way of changing minds with facts usually mud sling!

Here's an explanation for why it's bad. If you teach your kids to do good things because the bible says so, they might be good only out of fear of not going to heaven (or of going to hell). These things should be tought (morals that is) because they're the right thing to do to be a good person. If you believe god did everything you stop looking for answers. In fact, some people try to stop others from looking or teaching the truth.

"big bang made intelligent beings"

"fish changed to a horse that changed to a monkey that changed to a man"

I'm so glad you understand these theories so well!

But yes we definately are very very very close to monkeys as well as apes, chimps, gorillas etc. I mean it's kind of obvious isn't it? We look just like them, and have ovver 98% identical DNA. We definately came from a common ancestor. I hear people exclaim "We didn't come from monkeys!!!" as if monkeys are the farthest possible imaginable creature to be related to.

I'm not saying or trying to prove god isn't real. How could I? That'd be silly to try and prove.

Just because the majority belong to a certain religion means nothing. That doesn't mean the religion is real or should be law or forced on others. It only takes one person to spread a religion to two, to four, to eight, to sixteen, to eventually millions. If that one person was wrong to begin with....

what if there is no god?

YES! that does suck!...but i your a christian, you know that "being good" alone wont save you! takes alot more than that.

You know, I'm a good person... so if there is a heaven I hope I get in it. I would refuse to believe in any god that would send a good person for hell for not giving up his free will.

Really that does not matter anymore. Does anyone really care how the country was founded? What matters now is what is right, NOW. What is right now is freedom of religion and separation of church and state