Is anyone surprised about the religiousness of the toys?

amazingdm

I'm an atheist but I'm not offended or anything, I'm just kind of surprised that they would allow these on toys, is anyone else?

For example the coronado's cross has jesus on it..

I'm excited as hell about them though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an atheist but I'm not offended or anything, I'm just kind of surprised that they would allow these on toys, is anyone else?

u have to understand that youre in a country built under God....i mean, look...its on the money, the pledge, and pretty much anything else. not beliving in christ is your right, but its a 2 way street....plus if its movie accurate, then allow it. im no saint.....but not beliving makes God as fake to u, as beliving makes him real 2 others. for the fourms sake....please dont let anyone start a religous battle with u!....because, believe it or not, thats where this is heading...trust me!

Why would you be surprised that Indy toys have a religious theme? Have you seen the movies? The first one is about the Ark of the Covenant and the last one was all about the Holy Grail. Pretty much all the indy films have a VERY heavy religious theme to them. It would be odd for the toys NOT to reflect that.

daredevil? he's religious but his costume has horns.

spiderman made a deal with mephisto in the "brand new day" story.

nightcrawler (movie version) is religious. remmeebr, "one scar for every sin".

anyways, those are from the top of my head, i'd go on and on but i dont think it has anything to do with your post. i think.

u have to understand that youre in a country built under God....i mean, look...its on the money, the pledge, and pretty much anything else. not beliving in christ is your right, but its a 2 way street....plus if its movie accurate, then allow it. im no saint.....but not beliving makes God as fake to u, as beliving makes him real 2 others. for the fourms sake....please dont let anyone start a religous battle with u!....because, believe it or not, thats where this is heading...trust me!

it was NOT a country built under god, and it wasn't on the money, OR in the pledge until 1952.

If that's where it's heading, it's your fault, for unnecessarily bringing up the (false) claim that it's a "country built under God". If anything, the US was a country built under the Enlightenment, or the Age of Reason.

I agree with you though, when it comes to movie accuracy. There's really no way to get around it... Bear in mind, though, that in the movies the Indian Goddess Kali was as real as the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail. It's not like the movies are promoting one religion over another. It's all just about adding an element of mysticism to them more than anything else.

On a somewhat related note, however, I have noticed that there's not a swastika to be found on the German soldiers, so they weren't totally accurate to the films.

it was NOT a country built under god, and it wasn't on the money, OR in the pledge until 1952.

it doesnt matter...its on the money NOW!...its on the pledge NOW!...its built under God NOW!....you got the point when i made the statement. you are aware that the US is a God fearing country, and that you could of added the point of correcting me...i do know this, making a big deal about religion is something that alot of people do, and everyone doesnt believe in a higher spirit.....most people in this country do, and God is going to come up in every situation with someone, sometime, somewhere here, in america....just got to get used to it.

To bring this back on topic I think he meant that he was surprised that such toys are being made because usually that type of stuff isn't done for toy lines. Yeah the stuff is in the movies but I always felt one of the reasons that a Indiana Jones line was never made was because of the religious and Nazi aspects of it. People are talking about Christian stuff . . . image how Hindus feel about the Temple of Doom.

it doesnt matter...its on the money NOW!...its on the pledge NOW!...its built under God NOW!....you got the point when i made the statement. you are aware that the US is a God fearing country, and that you could of added the point of correcting me...i do know this, making a big deal about religion is something that alot of people do, and everyone doesnt believe in a higher spirit.....most people in this country do, and God is going to come up in every situation with someone, sometime, somewhere here, in america....just got to get used to it.

Who cares what "most people" think anyway? Don't we have a name for that? The "lowest common denominator"?

That's no kind of argument. "Most people" don't travel to other countries to see the world first hand. "Most people" don't further their education after high school. "Most people" don't try and learn a second or third language. "Most people" don't choose to serve their country. "Most people" are happy to be followers, not leaders. "Most people" are happy not to question religious doctrine, because after all, that's what "most people" think.

For that matter, "most people" think that collecting toys is for dorks. I happen to ignore what "most people" think much of the time, because "most people" don't really know what their talking about.

To bring this back on topic I think he meant that he was surprised that such toys are being made because usually that type of stuff isn't done for toy lines. Yeah the stuff is in the movies but I always felt one of the reasons that a Indiana Jones line was never made was because of the religious and Nazi aspects of it. People are talking about Christian stuff . . . image how Hindus feel about the Temple of Doom.

I have zero problem with it. Its all just about the theme of the thing. Other properties have religious aspects--some where mentioned above-- but they are not front and centre with those properties. Nor do they need to be.

With Indiana Jones, the religious artifacts and icons are central to a lot of the mysticism and lore in the stories, so including them is essential.

Omitting the swastika is a aesthetic thing....done to avoid offending a great number of people.

The Nazi's in the movies are not true historical portraits, they are just antagonists to drive the conflict--so making their details historically accurate is not necessary. The general uniform details serve the purpose here.

Taking a depicted object like the Ark of the Covenant for example, and just making it a simple box with some handles defeats the purpose of addressing the "magic" inherent in the movies. This is why making that toy requires the Ark to be depicted in all its details.

The same thing could be said in giving the German soldiers detailed MP-40 machine guns instead of featureless sticks--it not only identifies them to the consumer better, but also ups the ambiance of the toy.

For that matter, "most people" think that collecting toys is for dorks. I happen to ignore what "most people" think much of the time, because "most people" don't really know what their talking about.

Man, I've been dorky since before it was dinky!

Dorks forever!!!

Why would you be surprised that Indy toys have a religious theme? Have you seen the movies? The first one is about the Ark of the Covenant and the last one was all about the Holy Grail. Pretty much all the indy films have a VERY heavy religious theme to them. It would be odd for the toys NOT to reflect that.

Ummm yeah.

You're not getting my point though

movies and kids toys are very different things.

It's surprising to see religious icons on toys

If that's where it's heading, it's your fault, for unnecessarily bringing up the (false) claim that it's a "country built under God". If anything, the US was a country built under the Enlightenment, or the Age of Reason.

I agree with you though, when it comes to movie accuracy. There's really no way to get around it... Bear in mind, though, that in the movies the Indian Goddess Kali was as real as the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail. It's not like the movies are promoting one religion over another. It's all just about adding an element of mysticism to them more than anything else.

On a somewhat related note, however, I have noticed that there's not a swastika to be found on the German soldiers, so they weren't totally accurate to the films.

Yeah

I don't have ANY problem with the toys being religious. It's movie accurate. I'm just saying it's surprising that's all. Especially when they took out any mention of nazis

Who cares what "most people" think anyway? Don't we have a name for that? The "lowest common denominator"?

That's no kind of argument. "Most people" don't travel to other countries to see the world first hand. "Most people" don't further their education after high school. "Most people" don't try and learn a second or third language. "Most people" don't choose to serve their country. "Most people" are happy to be followers, not leaders. "Most people" are happy not to question religious doctrine, because after all, that's what "most people" think.

thats not ment to be an argument....its the truth. how can you question religion being portrayed in a country that puts religion in everything. if u watch a vampire movie they use a cross, so if your a different religion then what do u use? the point is that we use religion all the time in america, in our tv, music, and ect...even the word "demon" is a religious term that people use on a regular basis, or take the word witch, it has its own religion, yet we say and use the term any way we want...never thinking what people who study "wicka" or "witchcraft" feel about the way we represent them. as far as the lowest common denomator.....what country do u live in? christmas is the biggest holiday in america!(thats a religious holiday) that seems like a pretty big denomator...im done with this debate.

I'm an atheist but I'm not offended or anything, I'm just kind of surprised that they would allow these on toys, is anyone else?For example the coronado's cross has jesus on it..I'm excited as hell about them though.
If that's where it's heading, it's your fault, for unnecessarily bringing up the (false) claim that it's a "country built under God". If anything, the US was a country built under the Enlightenment, or the Age of Reason.I agree with you though, when it comes to movie accuracy. There's really no way to get around it... Bear in mind, though, that in the movies the Indian Goddess Kali was as real as the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail. It's not like the movies are promoting one religion over another. It's all just about adding an element of mysticism to them more than anything else.On a somewhat related note, however, I have noticed that there's not a swastika to be found on the German soldiers, so they weren't totally accurate to the films.
YeahI don't have ANY problem with the toys being religious. It's movie accurate. I'm just saying it's surprising that's all. Especially when they took out any mention of nazis

(i got to contridict myself here and say something) im not taking it anywhere! i just dont see how its a surprise that toys could have some sort of religious theme in a country that honors christmas or puts "in God we trust" on the currency(when ever that started) plus...i didnt make the claim...america did!

I have to actually agree with the one fella and say that this country was built on the idea of God. No, it was not on the money or pledge until much later, but it is in the Declaration of Independence for instance in the first paragraph it says..."When in the course of human events, it becomes necesssary for one People to dissolve the political bands which have connected...skipping a few line for brevity's sake... and to assume among the Powers of Earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitles them",...then the more common passage, states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator wih certain unalienable rights"...

I do not know how you could look at this document and not see how an Idea of God shaped these men and their thoughts. Most were Deist, and so not Christian persay, but the idea of God and Christianity held strong with many of them.

Also in many of the early state constitutions theistic thinking was written into them. For example Delaware's authored by Thomas McKean and George Reed reads like this, "Everyone elected or appointed to office shall make and subscribe to the following declaration to wit:'I do profess faith in GOd the the Father and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, and in the Holy Ghost, one God, blessed forever more and I do acknoeldge the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament to be given by diving inspiration.'

Massachusetts, authored by Samuel Adams says, [All persons elected must] make and subscribe the following declaration, viz: "I do declare that I believe in the CHristian religion and have firm persuasion of its truths."

In 1892 the Supreme Court noted that each of the 44 states then in the union, each had some type of God-centered declaration in its constitution.

I absolutely believe this country was built on the idea of God, and I think these state constitutions and our own National constitution show that the men back then were influenced by the idea of God, or a Creator. Most educational schools, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton taught Law and Religion. They started off as private christian institutions. So yeah you can go ahead and be an athiest it is your right, and I see the original point of the thread that making kid toys with religious aspects might seem weird, but in regards to this country being built on anything but a Judeo-Christian ethic and principles is wrong.

I'm an atheist but I'm not offended or anything, I'm just kind of surprised that they would allow these on toys, is anyone else?For example the coronado's cross has jesus on it..I'm excited as hell about them though.
If that's where it's heading, it's your fault, for unnecessarily bringing up the (false) claim that it's a "country built under God". If anything, the US was a country built under the Enlightenment, or the Age of Reason.I agree with you though, when it comes to movie accuracy. There's really no way to get around it... Bear in mind, though, that in the movies the Indian Goddess Kali was as real as the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail. It's not like the movies are promoting one religion over another. It's all just about adding an element of mysticism to them more than anything else.On a somewhat related note, however, I have noticed that there's not a swastika to be found on the German soldiers, so they weren't totally accurate to the films.
YeahI don't have ANY problem with the toys being religious. It's movie accurate. I'm just saying it's surprising that's all. Especially when they took out any mention of nazis

(i got to contridict myself here and say something) im not taking it anywhere! i just dont see how its a surprise that toys could have some sort of religious theme in a country that honors christmas or puts "in God we trust" on the currency(when ever that started) plus...i didnt make the claim...america did!

Well a lot of people have different religions or no religion at all and parents don't want their kids exposed to these religions. But what's surprising is that they would put religious icons on toys when companies nowadays are trying desperately to be politically correct

Just because a majority of people are one thing doesn't make that one thing the right thing or the way everyone should be.

I have to actually agree with the one fella and say that this country was built on the idea of God. No, it was not on the money or pledge until much later, but it is in the Declaration of Independence for instance in the first paragraph it says..."When in the course of human events, it becomes necesssary for one People to dissolve the political bands which have connected...skipping a few line for brevity's sake... and to assume among the Powers of Earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitles them",...then the more common passage, states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator wih certain unalienable rights"...

I do not know how you could look at this document and not see how an Idea of God shaped these men and their thoughts. Most were Deist, and so not Christian persay, but the idea of God and Christianity held strong with many of them.

Also in many of the early state constitutions theistic thinking was written into them. For example Delaware's authored by Thomas McKean and George Reed reads like this, "Everyone elected or appointed to office shall make and subscribe to the following declaration to wit:'I do profess faith in GOd the the Father and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, and in the Holy Ghost, one God, blessed forever more and I do acknoeldge the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament to be given by diving inspiration.'

Massachusetts, authored by Samuel Adams says, [All persons elected must] make and subscribe the following declaration, viz: "I do declare that I believe in the CHristian religion and have firm persuasion of its truths."

In 1892 the Supreme Court noted that each of the 44 states then in the union, each had some type of God-centered declaration in its constitution.

I absolutely believe this country was built on the idea of God, and I think these state constitutions and our own National constitution show that the men back then were influenced by the idea of God, or a Creator. Most educational schools, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton taught Law and Religion. They started off as private christian institutions. So yeah you can go ahead and be an athiest it is your right, and I see the original point of the thread that making kid toys with religious aspects might seem weird, but in regards to this country being built on anything but a Judeo-Christian ethic and principles is wrong.

Yeah but that was a long time ago. Doesn't make it right.

Its not an issue of whether its right or wrong, which is something you are getting all hooked up on.

Its an UNDENIABLE aspect of life these days and it has been for a long time.

Its not a question of whether you choose to believe or not, other people do. Denying that is foolhardy.

They embrace those beliefs and take comfort and guidance in them. If you make your way in life by other means then that's your entitlement.

Placing these kinds of icons on toys, in this example, simply acknowledges this fact of life. Religion is a part of the modern world, it will continue to be a part of this world and all peoples. Utilizing these icons simply acknowledges that religion and mysticism have their roles in fantasy as well as reality.

Heck, Atheism is a faith all on its own, because its takes as much faith to believe in a Universal Negative as it does in a Universal positive. Atheists do not pray that there is a deity, they "pray' that there isn't one.

Its not an issue of whether its right or wrong, which is something you are getting all hooked up on.

Its not a question of whether you choose to believe or not, other people do. Denying that is foolhardy.

They embrace those beliefs and take comfort and guidance in them. If you make your way in life by other means then that's your entitlement.

Placing these kinds of icons on toys, in this example, simply acknowledges this fact of life. Religion is a part of the modern world, it will continue to be a part of this world and all peoples. Utilizing these icons simply acknowledges that religion and mysticism have their roles in fantasy as well as reality.

Heck, Atheism is a faith all on its own, because its takes as much faith to believe in a Universal Negative as it does in a Universal positive. Atheists do not pray that there is a deity, they "pray' that there isn't one.

its like going into the smoking section and saying its not right to smoke....thats my opinion on the fact that people dont think that its right to put religion out there, in a country that uses religion in almost everything.

Its like going into the smoking section and saying its not right to smoke....thats my opinion on the fact that people dont think that its right to put religion out there, in a country that uses religion in almost everything.

well, common sense says that its going to be an aspect in a lot of people's lives. The beauty of it all is that we can CHOOSE to embrace the beliefs or not.

If someone has a problem with the icons on toys, they can choose to view them as spiritual markings and sculpting that convey old superstitions. Approaching it that way keeps the product accessible to them and allows others to embrace the icons for what they believe them to me.

No-one is being held hostage to any specific belief in this, nor need they be.

No, atheism doesn't require any faith. I don't have any belief at all. It's an absence of belief. There could be a god for all I know I'm just not going to guess that there is one. I hope there is a god/heaven.