The names of the crimson twins

revsears

The twins seem essential to the workings of cobra to me but i hate a lot about them but their silly names top the list. (the shared pain being 2nd) Is there any reason behind those names? Do you like the twins or hate them?

I do like have unique characters to run the crimson gaurd, i like that they were mercernieries, i love that they can be ruthless bussiness men at Extensive Enterprises that provides for a lot of story potential. I hate their orginal uniforms, it's suits or stay out of my sight to me:)

I love 'em. Do they have goofy names? Sure, but how many other characters can I say that about?

Shared pain? Just part of their shtick I guess, that completeing each other sentences thing is spooky cool.

Sure they're goofy, a lot of Joe stuff is goofy. Me being 28 years old and collecting toys is goofy. My "How to fix your Joes" thread is obscenely goofy, but I do it anyway, 'cause I enjoy it, I enjoy toy collecting, and I enjoy the characters of the Crimson Twins.

I just realized I'm a really goofy guy. :)

Edit: To answer the question, I think the reason behind Tomax & Xamot is that it sounds vaugely European and it can be spelled backwards / forwards. Therefore it's somewhat reasonable.

I think Tomax is a cool name. I hope my kids mother feels the same. If I had twins I would have to name the other Xamot.

I like them both. I always liked Tomax more, I think it was the voices. Xamot just always annoyed me more. I liked how they were acrobatic and businessmen. Both getting hurt was weird.

To be a member of Cobra, you have to have some level of goofiness.

Big Boa?

Dr. Mindbender?

...pick a Dreadnok...

Voltar, Raptor, Croc-Master... the list continues.

The only Cobra agent I don't get a chuckle out of is Firefly. That guy would scare the crap out of me (which is why he's my favorite).

The main reason behind their names is the fact that they are mirror images. I don't know who was named first, but either way, the names are a bit different. I always thought they were kinda cool (duh). I thought Tomax, when said with a heavy European accent, would sound a lot like Thomas. As for Xamot, well, maybe he was named second.

As for liking or hating them, I think that's fairly obvious. They have always been my favs, even when I was a kid. I think it was the toys that did it for me then. The cool mirror packaging, and that little zip line thingy insured that they got plenty of play time from me. With about 15 ft of fishing line, those Twins were zipping all over the living room.

However, I never liked the idea of them feeling each other's pain. While I would be able to understand it on the level where one would know when the other was in danger, or hurt, I hated that if you hit one, then it was like hitting them both. I don't know if that was included in the comics, or if that was a cartoon only thing, but I hated seeing it on TV.

I think my overall appeal to them now has to do with the fact that they can hurt you without ever having to use a conventional weapon. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword.

wait 2 questions have been bugging me about these two cause i was a big joe fan when i was under 10 years old then lost interest and got into the whole marvel universe thing anyways, can someone please answer these two for me.....

1. how did the twin with the scar get the scar?

2. How rare are their 25th anniversary twin figures? i went to my toy store twice when they recieved the shipment for their wave and both times they were only packed once.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet and I've always thought it was common knowledge, the Twins were in part based on the characters in te Alexander Dumas( Count of Monte Cristo, Three Musketeers) short story the Corsican Brothers. The story follows two brothers who share a sympathetic bond and after ones death the other goes on to claim his revenge on the man who killed him.

While ther have been several movie version of this story, arguably the most famous could be Cheech and Chong's the Corsican Bothers which had two brother that could feel each others pain or joy. That movie was made in 1984 and Tomax and Xamot came out in 1985, so it's possible that Hama (or whoever created the twins) saw the movie and thought it was an interesting idea to incorperate into the back story of the twins.

However, I never liked the idea of them feeling each other's pain. While I would be able to understand it on the level where one would know when the other was in danger, or hurt, I hated that if you hit one, then it was like hitting them both. I don't know if that was included in the comics, or if that was a cartoon only thing, but I hated seeing it on TV.

It was in the comics too. I always liked it because I thought it was sort of a self-balancing strength/weakness thing. As a duo, they are practically (actually?) telepathic, making them a perfectly-functioning duo, and nearly unbeatable in many circumstances- they have teamwork on a level that is really tough for most people to match. On the other hand, the shared pain can be (and is) a vulnerability that can be exploited by the enemy... although on the show, the twins themselves used it to their advantage in the Pyramid of Darkness 5-parter.

The thing I always found weird is that they command the Crimson Guard and are called the Crimson Twins, but have uniforms that are mostly blue.

I too, am aggrivated with the blue. It doesn't make sense.

Not all cobra's were loonies, but yeah a lot where. Firefly, Zartan (pre-mohawk) , Bludd, Baroness all seemed pretty legit to me. These definatly fall in the loonie catagory for me, but are saved by the Extensive Enterprise connection.

I could have handled Thomas and Samoht much better. Maybe part of the reason why they have the strange names has something to do with the fact that i can't think of a more normal name that would work mirrored off the top of my head.

The thing I always found weird is that they command the Crimson Guard and are called the Crimson Twins, but have uniforms that are mostly blue.

Something I have wondered recently. Were they ever called the Crimson Twins in the comics or cartoon? I remember having a hard time coming up with the username when I first registered, because I didn't want to leave one of the names out, and I hadn't remembered them being called anything other than Crimson Guard Commanders.

Just curious.

Something I have wondered recently. Were they ever called the Crimson Twins in the comics or cartoon? I remember having a hard time coming up with the username when I first registered, because I didn't want to leave one of the names out, and I hadn't remembered them being called anything other than Crimson Guard Commanders.

Just curious.

I believe "Crimson Twins" was just a common fan nickname for the twins that eventually made it's way onto the file cards of a convention exclusive Twins. The name way of then later of been used in the Devil's Due books but I don't know.

Just curious.

It's just a a fan name. Crimson Guard Cmmanders. Twins. Crimson Twins.

Cobra Commander referred to them as 'The Crimson Twins' during the Pyramid of Darkness 5-parter . Tomax & Xamot double-cross CC and take over (briefly). CC makes a televised broadcast to the Joes, and grudgingly tells them that they will serve their new leaders, and calls them 'The Crimson Twins'.

AH! It's in episode 5! Watch 3:10-3:15.

I watched season 1 again recently, and for some reason it stood out to me. It was probably used in other places as well. It certainly didn't start as a fan name.

I've got no problem with them. The names are kind of cool. It's better than having say "Dave" and "Evad". As for the outfits,no problem with them either. Yes it's mostly blue but they do have those big crimson sashes across their chest and the crimson cobra shaped knee pads. That's cool right there.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet and I've always thought it was common knowledge, the Twins were in part based on the characters in te Alexander Dumas( Count of Monte Cristo, Three Musketeers) short story the Corsican Brothers. The story follows two brothers who share a sympathetic bond and after ones death the other goes on to claim his revenge on the man who killed him.

While ther have been several movie version of this story, arguably the most famous could be Cheech and Chong's the Corsican Bothers which had two brother that could feel each others pain or joy. That movie was made in 1984 and Tomax and Xamot came out in 1985, so it's possible that Hama (or whoever created the twins) saw the movie and thought it was an interesting idea to incorperate into the back story of the twins.

I always assumed this as well.

I look at the names and "looks" as "fun". Its just a certain kind of style meant to give them a colourful and appealing spin.

They could be called something mundane, but Tomax and Xamot are exotic and interesting names, and the costumes add to the exotic feel. All the good characters have a gimmick that sets them apart and makes them work, and they sure have it because they are certainly memorable.

They could be called something mundane, but Tomax and Xamot are exotic and interesting names, and the costumes add to the exotic feel. All the good characters have a gimmick that sets them apart and makes them work, and they sure have it because they are certainly memorable.

I certainly don't see it as being any sillier than a master of disguise who has an anagram of 'Tarzan' as his name for no apparent reason, or a guy who calls himself 'Voltar' simply because he has a pet vulture, or any of the multitude of ridiculous Cobra quirks we know and love.

Xamot is Tomax spelled backwards.

The twins are very cool charcters.