New Comic pack Proto-types at HissTank

dblogan

I looked at the pictures and was quite pleased. Then I looked at the comments: #$#@# moan #$#@# moan #$#@# #$#@# moan...

I understand that parts are being reused all over in this line... like they are in almost every other line by almost every other company. Honestly now, Hasbro is the company that will produce one year of Transformers, then repaint the entire year's worth into 'powered-up' versions, and put them right back on the shelves. And you know what? They sell. Just like the Joe 25th line sells. Just like the classic line sold, even though it had a good share of repaints. That's ignoring for the moment that these are comic pack figures, and the comic packs are all about the cheap repaint.

I see new heads, awesome new accessories, and virtually all of them will have new paint jobs that will set them apart from their previously-molded brethren. I'm perfectly happy with that- Tripwire wasn't going to spend any time standing next to Flash anyway.

I don't expect to stop the complaining, and I'm not trying to say that I'm settling for what I can get. If you're insulted and/or think I am settling, you're welcome to the opinion, but that's not my point. I'm just saying that this is exactly what we were told to expect from the line, and I'm happy to see some new characters and new takes on the old, rather than the latest 'cartoon colors' straight repaint, or another figure with a jetpack as a selling point to get you to buy the exact figure/character you already have. I like these figures for what they are, not hate them for what they aren't. Complain all you like, but you are not harshing my buzz.

From what I can tell they all will turn out pretty cool. I am especially anxious for Falcan. The only thing that does bug me about him is, that I will not get him Single carded for my MOC collection. :(

Draven

Nothing wrong with mold reuse. Hasbro was doing it from day one, for starters.

Besides, there are a lot of good figures that share the same mold and do it so well, you can't tell. I had NO idea Wild Weasel used Snow Job's body, for example.

The Flash body DOES work for Tripwire. The problem, as I mentioned is that it is the FLASH body. If you want to get nitpicky, they should have used the HI.S.S. DRIVER body.

The other problem is these guys aren't frankensteined as much as they should be. 98% of the time its "so and so's entire body" with a new head. Major Bludd for example, if not for the "mechanical arm" would have been Zartan's entire body and Bludd's head.

I can understand there aren't a lot body parts to go around at this stage (hence the constant reuse of the Duke arms; hopefully they will wear out the mold), but that isn't to say there aren't ANY parts at all. As people pointed out, they could have used the Flint arms on Falcon. There have been enough figures now that they can do a nice "mix and match" and not total body reuse.

So here's a question, did Hasbro file chapter 11 or something (bankruptcy), or have they gone flat broke??? THEN WHY THE HECK IS EVERY OTHER FIGURE CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF GI JOE IS FREAKIN' REPAINT OR REMOLD OF THE PREVIOUS FIGURE??????!!!!!!! Seriously, I don't get it. I know that they want to make money, but this is unacceptable. Did Hasbro NOT make like over 200 million dollars last year? Can they not afford to make a few more unique action figures?

Go back over the past almost 45 years of GIJOE, in all incarnations of the brand, and see that Hasbro has employed re-use extensively.

This is nothing new for them, and is a frugal means of bringing out product and sparing costs.

So here's a question, did Hasbro file chapter 11 or something (bankruptcy), or have they gone flat broke??? THEN WHY THE HECK IS EVERY OTHER FIGURE CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF GI JOE IS FREAKIN' REPAINT OR REMOLD OF THE PREVIOUS FIGURE??????!!!!!!! Seriously, I don't get it. I know that they want to make money, but this is unacceptable. Did Hasbro NOT make like over 200 million dollars last year? Can they not afford to make a few more unique action figures?

Go back over the past almost 45 years of GIJOE, in all incarnations of the brand, and see that Hasbro has employed re-use extensively.

This is nothing new for them, and is a frugal means of bringing out product and sparing costs.

they didnt do it that much in the original RAH line... they did it for the original 13 guys.. at the start they did... but after RAH picked up steam, they rarely reused bodies.

basically, the special teams (Tigerforce, Nightforce, Marauders, etc) were pretty much the extent of their body reuse... and most of those were repaints of entire figures while still remaining the same character... and then Skypatrol, a line made of driver/pilot bodies.

I looked at the pictures and was quite pleased. Then I looked at the comments: #$#@# moan #$#@# moan #$#@# #$#@# moan...

I don't expect to stop the complaining, and I'm not trying to say that I'm settling for what I can get. If you're insulted and/or think I am settling, you're welcome to the opinion, but that's not my point. I'm just saying that this is exactly what we were told to expect from the line, and I'm happy to see some new characters and new takes on the old, rather than the latest 'cartoon colors' straight repaint, or another figure with a jetpack as a selling point to get you to buy the exact figure/character you already have. I like these figures for what they are, not hate them for what they aren't. Complain all you like, but you are not harshing my buzz.

Nobody's making negative comments against anyone for having a "pleasant" response to these pictures. From all I've gathered, in reading the various responses, is that some fans are not as happy with them as others are, and they've each expressed the reasons as to WHY they don't like them or why they DO. Simple as that.

How does this ALWAYS turn into a PERSONAL battle between varying opinions? Why does some supposed "logic" have to exist in everyone's personal opinion of toys? The act of LOVING them and collecting them at all (like we do) would seem illogical to most people, so I'm not understanding the whining, b@#ching & moaning that comes forth from the fans, when the responses are not always WARM & FUZZY?

I would rate YOUR comments the most contentious towards fellow members, and you're defending against something that wasn't even stated towards you personally...at all. Nobody has made derogatory comments against the fans and collectors THEMSELVES! Just the practice of reusing existing molds a little too MUCH. Regardless of the economical or practical purposes of it, I'm one that finds it annoying sometimes, especially depending on the character it's used for, can make that an even bigger issue for me, such as it was for Flint being made using the entire Duke mold with only a new head.

It's just conversation, no personal attacks against optimists & naysayers.

I've seen more positive things said than negative too, and the negative things were just mainly pointing out those crappy Duke arms, lol.. which I too hate, everything else is fine with me, even the non swivel LJ wrists... @hmmm@

Look, there is one thing fans are going to do:

COMPLAIN

Sometimes it produces results, like with the T-Crotch. But someting like THAT was more signifcant than what we have here. That was a collective negative reaction. Hasbro saw this and fixed the problem. That doesn't really apply here as its more asethic reasons behind our complaints of body reuse. Sometimes the body reuse works (Wild Weasel). Sometimes it doesn't (Major Bludd is iffy, or all the complaints about Flint). But the fact remains, they WILL reuse bodies

But there IS something else to consider here, with these particular figures.

These are PROTOTYPE figures.

Under normal circumstances, we see the new product and complain or praise it, but very rarely do those complains matter. What's done is done, so hoping a complaint might cause a change normally amounts to nothing. It DOES happen (slimming the crotches of the characters, most notably Beach Head; but again, that was more of a collective complaint).

But, again, with THESE figures we are looking at prototypes, which means there IS some potential to influence the creation process. I can't say how much (like I would even know).

Practical problems require practical solutions/answers. I think these figures are a practical problem. Simply put, they just need some parts swapping.

So, without actually molding new parts for any of them (except maybe Nemesis Enforcer) and given the parts we have available RIGHT NOW, how would YOU do up Tripwire, Cobra Commander, Falcon, Lady Jaye and Iron Grenadier?

and given the parts we have available RIGHT NOW, how would YOU do up Tripwire, Cobra Commander, Falcon, Lady Jaye and Iron Grenadier?

Me?

NE: Good

Tripwire: HISS driver non quilted torso, other than that good

CC: whatever (it's yet another CC, want the cape though, so put him into production please.)

Falco: TF Flint arms please, other than that good.

Lady Jaye: Good

IG: Good

My only thing with them re-using stuff is when its distinct molds........the Battle Armor CC mold is a distinct mold. When they are standing next to each other you can tell they are the same bodies. Re-paints and all.......thats all I'm saying.

The Joes most of the time are all wearing some type of camo, ODU, BDU, anyway so those re-uses don't bother me at all. Its not that big a deal........thats my only real gripe here. Tripwire, Flash, and Grand Slam all have the same bodies.......it bothers me a little when they are displayed together. Its a small thing......like I'll have cheese pizza but I would prefer pepperoni.....you get what I'm saying.

Plus, its a small one.......I still want all of these but I would prefer new molds.

I do like this Iron Grenedier and will buy several if they are easily available, even the fact that he mostly a repaint doesn`t bother me at all since I like the mold. Nemesis Enforcer I hope at least comes with his signiture helmet or something cause he`s really bland as is. Wish the would have used a differant waist section since it is too narrow without the skirt being there to bulk him up. Falcon is....... rather bland and they really need to retire that mold since a good selection of 25th so far already uses that mold in some way.

I would rate YOUR comments the most contentious towards fellow members, and you're defending against something that wasn't even stated towards you personally...at all. Nobody has made derogatory comments against the fans and collectors THEMSELVES!

That's great, because you're missing what I actually said.

My point was that I was excited about these figures, and then I read the responses and it almost felt like I was the only one. My point was that I felt there was an overwhelming amount of misplaced ire toward these figures. My point was that I'm not going to let all those complaints change my opinion, and if I'm in the minority for liking them, then I'm okay with that.

I did defend my opinion without it ever being attacked, but again, that's because I felt (and still feel) that I'm in the minority who was actually happy to see these figures- it was not meant to be a personal defense, but an opinion defense. I can only defend that opinion as it concerns me, so that's what I did.

Yes, I was upset abut all the complaining, and I said so. I then said quite clearly that I meant no insult, and that others were welcome to have differing opinions and related complaints, but that I had no complaints of my own (regarding the figures, at least). I never accused anyone of any derogatory remarks to other collectors, so I don't even know where you get that from. Again, the point was that I have a differing, positive opinion among what felt like overwhelmingly negative ones. If you want to take it personally, or feel that I'm taking things personally, that was never the intention.

I bet you it doesn't matter how much someone will complain, I bet you that they will still purchase these when they hit retail.

Thats just it, you can't statisfy no one. For example: Look a Flint. People complain about the Duke arms they use on Flint, now the same people who complain about the Duke arms used on Flint now complain because they can't find Flint at retail and that he goes for a pretty penny on E-bay.

You see there is just no satisfying the collector. I'm very happy that I can go and spend money on the GI Joes that I want because I'm older. I got a car, and I got a job.

Most of us that grew-up w/ RAH during the 80's were kids, not collectors. In fact I didn't start collecting the vintage RAH until 1998, why because of the internet an e-bay I was able to regain most of the figures I had lost when I was a kid.

The reason why I think people don't complain too much about RAH is that because by being a kid you really don't care. You played with the toy, traded with your freinds, and probably found some GI joe figures outside. I remeber I scored a APC vehicle w/ a bunch of GI joe figures inside of it. Its sad that most of my RAH collection as a kid went to our yardsale when we moved. Thats how I lost everything GI Joe figure I had when I was a kid.

So think, most of us a kid during RAH era breaks down like this:

1. We didn't have a job so we had to rely on our parents, allowances, christmas, and birthdays.

2. We didn't have our own transportation. We couldn't like hop in our parents car and drive off to the

toy store anytime we wanted to, because we didn't have a drivers license.

4. E-bay wasn't even born yet.

3. We had to beg our parents to go to the toy store or while out w/ our parents

So thats why as a kid it was impossable for most of us to complete the whole RAH collection.

If I was a collector during the RAH days I would have had it all because, I would have had my own car, job, and imformation about whats coming out.

The only way you had all the GI Joes during the 80's were either youir parents were rich or you was just plained spoiled or your dad was a collector and gave his collection to you.

So most of us that grew up and played w/ GI Joe during the 80's have to be between the ages of 25 - 35years of age now.

And people who were collectors of GI Joe in the 80's have to be in the ages between 40 - 50years old now.

So now I'm 30yrs old and the 25th anni. line makes it feel like the 80's again to me, and I'm able to buy up everything when it comes out and don't have to beg my parents like I did in the 80's.

So thats why I don't complain too much.

And also kids who are growning up w/ the 25th ann. line today are going to look back on this line when they get older and if GI Joe is still around during that time when the kids of today day get older there going to look at 25th line as being better than the new stuff that comes out when they become collectors.

I would rate YOUR comments the most contentious towards fellow members, and you're defending against something that wasn't even stated towards you personally...at all. Nobody has made derogatory comments against the fans and collectors THEMSELVES!

That's great, because you're missing what I actually said.

My point was that I was excited about these figures, and then I read the responses and it almost felt like I was the only one. My point was that I felt there was an overwhelming amount of misplaced ire toward these figures. My point was that I'm not going to let all those complaints change my opinion, and if I'm in the minority for liking them, then I'm okay with that.

I did defend my opinion without it ever being attacked, but again, that's because I felt (and still feel) that I'm in the minority who was actually happy to see these figures- it was not meant to be a personal defense, but an opinion defense. I can only defend that opinion as it concerns me, so that's what I did.

Yes, I was upset abut all the complaining, and I said so. I then said quite clearly that I meant no insult, and that others were welcome to have differing opinions and related complaints, but that I had no complaints of my own (regarding the figures, at least). I never accused anyone of any derogatory remarks to other collectors, so I don't even know where you get that from. Again, the point was that I have a differing, positive opinion among what felt like overwhelmingly negative ones. If you want to take it personally, or feel that I'm taking things personally, that was never the intention.

While you claim to have meant no "insult" to anyone, who may have been posting less than complementing opinions on these new figures, you still expressed some irritation about it, with opening lines like this...

That goes beyond just expressing a difference of opinion from what's being shared by OTHERS, to belittling those opinions as being nothing but unfounded b#tching & moaning.

You defended against being accused of "settling" before such a thing was even posted by a naysayer attacking a member for posting favorable opinions. I don't recall anyone taking offense or feeling "insulted" by your positive opinions on this issue of discussion here? The fact that you have to claim that nobody is "harshing your buzz" only indicates you've put your guard up, anticipating an attack against your opinion for being HAPPY with what you're seeing?

I see it time and time again, and it's already evident in THIS particular topic, that when people start complaining about new images, ideas or actual product, the complaining about the complaining has to take over, and the ones with the negative comments are ACTUALLY the ones being belittled as "naysayers/constant whiners". It's rare I see such pointed comments aimed at folks who pipe up to rave and positively comment on such things. We all can't and NEVER will agree on the same things, but I just get tired of the slapping down that goes on against people who wish to express their honest opinions, if it happens to be negative. It's not being done intentionally just to be a party pooper or bring the mood down or harsh anyone's "buzz". The BETTER position of the two sides here, is to be happy and pleased with everything, because that's truely what we ALL desire, but being disappointed sometimes or even often is always going to be part of the hobby. Having to justify and defend our negative opinions, is just as irritating as the thought of some, that they have to defend and justify their positive ones.

Can you see that? :)

I'm just trying to shed some light on the issue of it, and not meaning to entirely single you out as the only offender of it, but your comments got my attention right away with the "#@$#% moaning" opener, and i thought "awwww maaaan....here we go again". ;)

While you claim to have meant no "insult" to anyone, who may have been posting less than complementing opinions on these new figures, you still expressed some irritation about it, with opening lines like this...

That goes beyond just expressing a difference of opinion from what's being shared by OTHERS, to belittling those opinions as being nothing but unfounded b#tching & moaning.

I admitted to expressing irritation. I also included "If you're insulted ...you're welcome to the opinion, but that's not my point." in the original post. Maybe you don't feel that covers all the bases, and I actually was being insulting. Or maybe you're reading a little too much into it, and it's a matter of opinion and thick skin.

You defended against being accused of "settling" before such a thing was even posted by a naysayer attacking a member for posting favorable opinions. I don't recall anyone taking offense or feeling "insulted" by your positive opinions on this issue of discussion here? The fact that you have to claim that nobody is "harshing your buzz" only indicates you've put your guard up, anticipating an attack against your opinion for being HAPPY with what you're seeing?

Are you actually reading what I'm saying, or just reading INTO it? I said flat out that I defended my opinion without being attacked because I felt like I was expressing one that was in the minority, which where opinions are concerned is often automatically a defensible act, and that I can only defend that opinion so far as I myself am concerned. You can keep coming at it from different angles, but I said what I did, I explained what I said, and now I'm just repeating myself... and not only have I not taken back anything, but you have yet to show me why I should, or even (ironically) where these people are that I insulted.

I see it time and time again, and it's already evident in THIS particular topic, that when people start complaining about new images, ideas or actual product, the complaining about the complaining has to take over, and the ones with the negative comments are ACTUALLY the ones being belittled as "naysayers/constant whiners".

Since I never said anything of the sort, I'm assuming this has nothing to do with me.

It's rare I see such pointed comments aimed at folks who pipe up to rave and positively comment on such things. We all can't and NEVER will agree on the same things, but I just get tired of the slapping down that goes on against people who wish to express their honest opinions, if it happens to be negative. It's not being done intentionally just to be a party pooper or bring the mood down or harsh anyone's "buzz".

And yet that's what it often does. Let's be honest, when you read an entire page of opinions, and the bulk of them are negative, you tend to feel that not only does your positive opinion not matter, but that no one cares. The word 'sucks' is stronger than the word 'like'. The people being negative, if they are being relatively reasonable, do not chide the positive opinion, understanding that support of product they don't like will help keep things going to get them product that they do, but this is the internet and the word 'reasonable' does not always apply.

The BETTER position of the two sides here, is to be happy and pleased with everything, because that's truely what we ALL desire, but being disappointed sometimes or even often is always going to be part of the hobby. Having to justify and defend our negative opinions, is just as irritating as the thought of some, that they have to defend and justify their positive ones.

Can you see that? :)

Rationally, yes, although I'm not entirely sure that you're making an applicable point. Personally, I've always felt that negative opinions DO in fact require justified reasoning that positive ones can get away without. It's simply too easy to say "I hate it!" and not be constructive at all. Those who like it will generally have reasons as well, but quite honestly, the details are less important. If you're going to like something, you can just like it... but if you're going to dislike something, I think you need a reason. I'll admit that it's a somewhat contradictory stance, I just think that negativity carries a lot of weight and has a lot of impact on those it's expressed to, and it needs to be justified and constructive.

I'd also like to clearly say that I'm NOT applying that personal stance to this thread, as many people did point to mold reuse as their #1 reasoning, and Duke arms as #2 (or vice-versa). While I may have been annoyed with the complaining itself, at least everyone knew WHY they were doing it.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the issue of it, and not meaning to entirely single you out as the only offender of it, but your comments got my attention right away with the "#@$#% moaning" opener, and i thought "awwww maaaan....here we go again". ;)

Which really hasn't been the case. It's all been a battle of semantics, intention, and internet etiquette between the two of us. The 'we' has been pretty limited. :)