Why does Hasbro like Heavy Duty so much?

Darren

Why is Hasbro so CRAZY IN LOVE with Heavy Duty?

They've been pushing this guy hardcore ever since JvC's initial run in early 2000. Replacing my favorite black, rhyme-talkin', heavy gunner ROADBLOCK!!!! Ain't no way!!! @grumpy@

Now we know Hasbro has the name again since Roadblock showed up in Spytroops...yet they STILL push Heavy Duty on us and are trying to force out Roadblock! And now Heavy Duty is in the movie taking Roadblock's place? WTF, man?

We had Heavy Duty in JvC, we had Heavy Duty in Spytroops (I don't care if I'm wrong, he was there somewhere!!!!), we had him multiple times in Valor vs. Venom and wasn't he in DTC as one of the vehicle drivers (I know his body was re-used!!!)???? We only had Roadblock ONCE during Spytroops with a few repaints!

Where's all this love you have for Heavy Duty coming from Hasbro?!?!

I have to agree with you all on this. Since RAH I had the figure but was never a fan, I much prefer roadblock. I kinda liked Heavy Duty in Sigma Six, he was big and bad assed, with that huge gun, but your right with most recent times, it should have been roadblock especially in the movie.

i dont get it either... never made any sense... Havey Duty is so lame.

Roadblock is classic GIJOE man... wtf is Heavy Duty in the film for?

No Heavy Duty is not lame, he is actually a cool character and his RAH version and his Sigma shows he cane be. I think the big thing is what you justy said, he is recognizable to all age ranges now since he has been so much more exposed than Roadblock! Like it or not at one time hasbro did not have the rights to that name any more and that is why HD became so prominent. So if you think of it that way, kiddies who will no doubt want to see the movie just as much as some of us are going to know HD much more.

Draven

Heavy Duty's code name is a registered trademark right up there with Destro and Cobra Commander (look at his name on packaging, it has a little R next to it rather than a TM). I think it may be the simple fact that Hasbro apparently has control over the words "heavy duty" that has them using it so much more than Roadblock.

why do you have such a hard on for Roadblock and insist on cramming him down other people's throats? see how personal preference can go both ways, yet you seem to want to infer that your preference is somehow better.

No Heavy Duty is not lame, he is actually a cool character and his RAH version and his Sigma shows he cane be. I think the big thing is what you justy said, he is recognizable to all age ranges now since he has been so much more exposed than Roadblock! Like it or not at one time hasbro did not have the rights to that name any more and that is why HD became so prominent. So if you think of it that way, kiddies who will no doubt want to see the movie just as much as some of us are going to know HD much more.

Draven

That's true up until they turned him into a Roadblock clone (versions 6 to 9).

I am so with you on this...

They've been pushing this guy hardcore ever since JvC's initial run in early 2000. Replacing my favorite black, rhyme-talkin', heavy gunner ROADBLOCK!!!! Ain't no way!!! @grumpy@

Now we know Hasbro has the name again since Roadblock showed up in Spytroops...yet they STILL push Heavy Duty on us and are trying to force out Roadblock! And now Heavy Duty is in the movie taking Roadblock's place? WTF, man?

It's odd - Roadblock is one of the THE classic, most recognizable characters - why else did they choose him to be one of the five (only, at the time) 25th Anniversary figures? Let's face it, Sigma Six was a dud for both kids and collectors - Heavy Duty being in that show does NOTHING for recognizability.

One thing I am happy about is Breaker, though - they've been pushing Hi-Tech on us for quite a while too, thank goodness he's not in the movie.

don't know either. roadblock was the sh*t, he be rapping and kicking your ass at the same time. heavy duty = lame.

I was thinking of this the other day - being some guy that speaks in rhymes all the time is a bit cheesy, unless it's in a cartoon, but on a live-action level you could really make that work and create an interesting character. Here's a guy who actually has a talent for rapping and hip-hop, maybe he does it as a hobby or something, but for whatever reason doesn't want to try for the big time or maybe doesn't think he can. His real love, of course, is cooking, but he's fallen in with the Joes and loves that too, for the time being anyway.

What does Heavy Duty have on that?

The only good thing is that even though I like Heavy Duty's actor, I wouldn't want Roadblock to speak with an African accent. I'm a lot happier they're re-doing his character than Roadblock's.

The only good thing is that even though I like Heavy Duty's actor, I wouldn't want Roadblock to speak with an African accent. I'm a lot happier they're re-doing his character than Roadblock's.

The guy that is playing Heavy Duty can speak in a very clear English......I've seen him in movies where he's spoken clear English. The man is actually British from what I understand. I know he was in "Get Rich or Die Tryin" and he was a New York Gangster.

Why is Hasbro so CRAZY IN LOVE with Heavy Duty?

We had Heavy Duty in JvC, we had Heavy Duty in Spytroops (I don't care if I'm wrong, he was there somewhere!!!!), we had him multiple times in Valor vs. Venom and wasn't he in DTC as one of the vehicle drivers (I know his body was re-used!!!)???? We only had Roadblock ONCE during Spytroops with a few repaints!

Where's all this love you have for Heavy Duty coming from Hasbro?!?!

You forgot to mention Sigma Six. :)

And, yeah...Heavy Duty is boring.

I agree with the majority, not a HD fan, I'd much prefer to see Roadblock in the film.

Roadblock is original, Heavy Duty is generic.

how so? such a position can only a repercussion of ignorance, because if you know anything about the Heavy Duty character you would know he isn't any more generic than Roadblock.

I have always liked them both but I like Roadblock alot more.

Roadblock has always been a top pick for my perfect Joe team if it was smaller. He's always one of my top ten.

Heavy Duty is cool as far as one of the later new guys.

I really liked Heavy Duty, Big Ben and Red Star. When those three came out I was more interested in getting old guys in new outfits but when I got them there was just something about them that made them instant classics to me.

I do think Hasbro ignored Roadblock way too much though and over did Heavy Duty. I don't see why Hasbro acts like there is not room for both. It's nice though that we have the first two Roadblocks in the new style before even one Heavy Duty.

The guy that is playing Heavy Duty can speak in a very clear English......I've seen him in movies where he's spoken clear English. The man is actually British from what I understand. I know he was in "Get Rich or Die Tryin" and he was a New York Gangster.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Well, still, if they do decide to go with an accent, whether British or African, it's all good - at least it'd make Heavy Duty more interesting.

how so? such a position can only a repercussion of ignorance, because if you know anything about the Heavy Duty character you would know he isn't any more generic than Roadblock.

Well, Roadblock's character has been more developed over the years. It seems safe to say that he's more interesting because of it, at the very least.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Well, still, if they do decide to go with an accent, whether British or African, it's all good - at least it'd make Heavy Duty more interesting.

Well, Roadblock's character has been more developed over the years. It seems safe to say that he's more interesting because of it, at the very least.

Yeah, I felt the same way you did......all I kept thinking about was him as Wombosi in "The Bourne Identity" with the African accent and all..... but then I looked around a little on the internet and found out a ton about the guy. He actually has a Masters Degree in Law from the University of London. Somehow took to acting..........I thought it was kinda cool in a way.

But isn't Heavty Duty related to RoadBlock, I mean come on after all he is RoadBlocks cousin, but you are right in some cases.

I like Heavy Duty and I think he is a nice edition to the GI Joe team but what I don't like is that Heavy Duty seems to be getting more attention than RoadBlock which is not fair.

We like RoadBlock because he's Old Skool. Heavy Duty was suppose to be the new RoadBlock for kids during the crappy 1991 - 1994 RAH years, and then brought back begining w/ the GI Joe vs. Cobra theme.

I just hope that Heavy Duty doesn't take over, because he is starting to become a kids favorite like Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. And when that happens wil will start getting so many versions of him like Snake Eyes in the new 25th anni. line.

But isn't Heavty Duty related to RoadBlock, I mean come on after all he is RoadBlocks cousin, but you are right in some cases.

I like Heavy Duty and I think he is a nice edition to the GI Joe team but what I don't like is that Heavy Duty seems to be getting more attention than RoadBlock which is not fair.

We like RoadBlock because he's Old Skool. Heavy Duty was suppose to be the new RoadBlock for kids during the crappy 1991 - 1994 RAH years, and then brought back begining w/ the GI Joe vs. Cobra theme.

I just hope that Heavy Duty doesn't take over, because he is starting to become a kids favorite like Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. And when that happens wil will start getting so many versions of him like Snake Eyes in the new 25th anni. line.

it's not fair? there is nothing fair or unfair about what characters are used in the movie. I can't fathom how anyone could take that personally at all to where they feel they are being treated unfairly. that's absurd.

and there is a greater audience for G.I. Joe than just who played with them in the mid 80's. there are a lot of people who played with them in the late 80's, 90's and since the relaunch in 2002 whose memories of G.I. Joe include Heavy Duty, and not Roadblock. God forbid those people recognize the characters in the movie as well. oh, that's right, most "fans" can't think broadly about the actual audience for G.I. Joe past their own selfish needs.

Maybe they are the same person. You never see them together in the same room.

In the movie I would rather it be roadblock and I wouldnt mind at all if he didnt rhyme all the time. Roadblock has been best as the big man in the cartoons/comics. To me the figures never got the buff factor right IMO, well until sigma 6. That was so cool to see heavy duty that big with such a huge gun. The original RAH figure kinda reminded me of Lamont from sanford and son more than anything with a baseball cap. Lamont didn't seem like a good fit for gi joe to me.

Heavy duty has come a long way since he first came out. I doubt in the movie that he will like classical music.

As far as the 25th goes, I think we are going on having 3 Roadblock figures to 0 heavy duties if you include the entertainment pack. Sometimes I don't think the guys at hasbro even know what they are doing with certain things. Maybe Roadblock this time around was better for repaints sake. If RB and HD are related, thats cool with me. Hasbro could have them work together, but havent yet, who knows....