MOVIE STORM SHADOW AND DESTRO

Jeff

I'm still looking forward to seeing this movie. Everyone was bemoaning the Transformers movie last year and it blew everyone's doors off so I'm still optimistic.

Not quite, I still hate the transformers movie, and I know half the places I look they are trying to get rid of the crap left over, even the 2 dvd collectors edition of the movie. If people were so rabid about it, we wouldn't have so much crap left over.

I for one, am not liking these costumes at all. The vehicles had me turned against them until they just said about a 2 seater sharc, and a giant Cougar vehicle. Also the locales sound pretty cool, but with both of those things, the characters hold the most water, and with outfits like that, and the fact that they are not making a gi joe movie but a movie that wants to be matrix, x-men, and now part batman, that really kills me.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm gonna be the one to do it.

"Oh noes!!!1!! The pictures don't look like I think they should!!!11!! DOOOOOM"

Geez, so screw if the acting is great, special effects and story are all A++++++++, the costumes don't scream "I'm an old 80's cartoon", so the movie must suck.

>>>>>Commence bashing of me.......wait for it......wait........now<<<<<

How do you know the acting is great and the special effects are A++++? Most the actors in this thing seem to be B listers at best and the images are the only thing we remotely have to go on for special effects. The things I've been reading about the plot are nothing remotely true to what I remember GIJoe as, granted those may turn out to be false reports so we will have to wait and see, but the fact is from what has been presented to us so far, it does not look promising at all and having negative opinions at this point seem far more realistic then some claim that Transformers turned out good so naturally this movie will to.

Not only does Destro look lame, I think it's kinda lame we see his face at all. IMO we should never see Cobra Commander, Snake-Eyes or Destro's real faces. Not seeing their real faces is was makes them so imposing and mysterious and showing their real faces like that just takes away from the character IMO.

Ill wait and judge win i see the movie.When does it come out anyways?

According to ENI the release date is August 7, 2009.

I agree with Jeff all the way with keeping Cobra Commander,Snake-Eyes and Destros real faces coverd and well go figure that Hollywood would mess that up.

also thanks jeff for the realse(spell)date on the movie

i am not at all worried

i just had this long commentary on why but i got kicked off lne

and im not going to re write all of it

so bottom line ----------dont go to the movie if you didnt like

GvsC, VALOR vs VENOM, SPY TROOPERS, DTC,SIGMA SIX AND ANY CHANGES TO THE 25TH ANNI FIGURES

THE MOVIE WILL RUIN YOUR CHILDHOOD, EVEN THOUGH THAT WAS 25 YEARS AGO

ALSO, CALL THE U.S. MILITARY ----

AND TELL THEM THAT THE SALVATION ARMY AND THE GOODWILL HAS ALL THEIR 1980'S CLOTHES ON SALE (HEY YELLOW DOT DAY)

THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET ALL THE SEPERATE JOINT TASK FORCES DECKED OUT

LIKE SOME 3rd WORLDS POPULATION FOR UNDER $10.00

IS THIS MOVIE GOING TO MEET ALL OF ANYONES EXCPECTATIONS----------NOT A CHANCE

IS GIJOE ALIVE AND WELL--(FOR THE NEXT GEN AND YOU AND ME)---------FOR SURE!!!

I GUESS WE COULD GO BACK TO 18MONTHS AGO ----------"GIJOE IS ON A HIATUS!!"

THAT WOULD SUCK

DOC

The way I see it, this movie is not for us, the hardcore Joe fans. Yeah, it'll have some elements so we can all geek out when something from an obscure panel in a comic from 20 years ago pops up. But overall, this movie is for those people that have heard the GI Joe name before. The people that maybe even played with some as kids, but weren't the hardcore fans that had all the comics, and knew every Joes real name and every cartoon episode by heart. This movie is for the general public because the hardcore fans that flood these boards don't amount to but a small percentage of the demographic they are going for here.

So, while some of us might hate the changes to our beloved line, there is going to be a whole new audience that will know this to be what GI Joe is. And those are the ones that will buy the movie line of toys. Those are the ones that will go back to theaters to see this movie more than once. And those are the ones that will buy the DVD when it comes out. Hasbro is letting the GI Joe name be used for this movie because they know it will bring them money. They don't care about people that are clinging to RAH Joes and styles for dear life. Hasbro's not making anymore money from those old classic Joes. And while there has been a great response to the 25th Joes, they know that people are going to want to buy what they saw in the movie, so naturally, that line will take over the market. I can deal with that if the product is decent.

If you ask me, it's about damn time some of these characters were updated. The wonderful Joes we've all come to know over the years look incredibly dated. It's time for something fresh, and I'll take a group of guys in all black (which makes a lot of sense for a covert tactical unit) over the drab, boring look of the original 13, or the outlandish look of those from about '87 up.

I'll gladly go see this movie. I'll wait to pass judgement on it till after I've seen it. You can't say a movie sucks just because you saw some pics.

The way I see it, this movie is not for us, the hardcore Joe fans. Yeah, it'll have some elements so we can all geek out when something from an obscure panel in a comic from 20 years ago pops up. But overall, this movie is for those people that have heard the GI Joe name before. The people that maybe even played with some as kids, but weren't the hardcore fans that had all the comics, and knew every Joes real name and every cartoon episode by heart. This movie is for the general public because the hardcore fans that flood these boards don't amount to but a small percentage of the demographic they are going for here.

So, while some of us might hate the changes to our beloved line, there is going to be a whole new audience that will know this to be what GI Joe is. And those are the ones that will buy the movie line of toys. Those are the ones that will go back to theaters to see this movie more than once. And those are the ones that will buy the DVD when it comes out. Hasbro is letting the GI Joe name be used for this movie because they know it will bring them money. They don't care about people that are clinging to RAH Joes and styles for dear life. Hasbro's not making anymore money from those old classic Joes. And while there has been a great response to the 25th Joes, they know that people are going to want to buy what they saw in the movie, so naturally, that line will take over the market. I can deal with that if the product is decent.

If you ask me, it's about damn time some of these characters were updated. The wonderful Joes we've all come to know over the years look incredibly dated. It's time for something fresh, and I'll take a group of guys in all black (which makes a lot of sense for a covert tactical unit) over the drab, boring look of the original 13, or the outlandish look of those from about '87 up.

I'll gladly go see this movie. I'll wait to pass judgement on it till after I've seen it. You can't say a movie sucks just because you saw some pics.

WORD!!

LMAO!!

DOC

I'm still looking forward to seeing this movie. Everyone was bemoaning the Transformers movie last year and it blew everyone's doors off so I'm still optimistic.

Not quite, I still hate the transformers movie, and I know half the places I look they are trying to get rid of the crap left over, even the 2 dvd collectors edition of the movie. If people were so rabid about it, we wouldn't have so much crap left over.

Depends where you're at. Anything bearing a TF name around here is out the door by the next day.

and the fact that they are not making a gi joe movie but a movie that wants to be matrix, x-men, and now part batman, that really kills me.

If the movie turns out to be a combination of the movies you mentioned, then the producers would be happy. All of those movies were big blockbusters, and that's what movie studios want. Bottom line.

@hmmm@

Well....

the movie isn't finished yet, so I certainly (and OBVIOUSLY) haven't seen it yet and can't make comment on it as a FINISHED product, however...

if it's okay to comment on our individual reactions and thoughts on it, based solely on these images we've been given to look at, I can only say with complete honesty....

HOLY..FRIGGIN..MEGA..

SUCKO..MANIA!!!

I smell a turd and I'm looking at the steam coming off of it.

@smilepunch@

Seriously though....

it's looking as I feared it would. LOOKING, mind you, just LOOKING!

It's funny how people try and defend this movie by saying everyone thought Transformers was gonna suck and it didn't.

I think it's a pretty accurate comparison...people have been bemoaning the translations of costumes the exact same way they did for say, X-Men, or the chracter designs of the TF movie characters. Both of those movies turned out just fine. I'm sure this is a trend that will continue for this movie. For simple stills, I think the characters look pretty cool...a touch of realism and a touch of stylization.

As I said about the TF movie, as long as the heart of the characters are intact, the movie will be fine.

i am not at all worried

GvsC, VALOR vs VENOM, SPY TROOPERS, DTC,SIGMA SIX AND ANY CHANGES TO THE 25TH ANNI FIGURES

AND TELL THEM THAT THE SALVATION ARMY AND THE GOODWILL HAS ALL THEIR 1980'S CLOTHES ON SALE (HEY YELLOW DOT DAY)

THAT WOULD SUCK

DOC

This is pretty much just Sigma Six the movie............I would take VvV over the crap that this looks to be anyday. I did not buy one Sigma Six figure after Duke cause I was gonna at least taste the Kool-Aid before I dissed it and I didn't like it. Also I 'm not seeing anything in these pictures in the 25th line.......which if I'm not mistaken has brought GI Joe back to the forefront of collecting and has pretty much kicked all of our geek asses for the past 10 months.

Also the 25th line is based on those "Salvation Army" clothes and in case you haven't been collecting in a while it seems to be doing pretty well. A lot better than Sigma Six ever did.........and Sigma Six even had a cartoon.

I'm not saying this movie will ruin my childhood but I think I can speak for a lot of people that we see the POTENTIAL for a great franchise......and it looks to be going down the toliet........Did MOTU ever really recover from the awful movie in 1987....it took 15 years but then it was only around for a couple years.

Sin City, Spider-man, 300, Batman films, Iron Man...........I remember seeing first pics from all these movies and they looked GREAT. They turned out to be great movies and mostly faithful translations (with some liberties) At least the Transformers were robots.....and Optimus was red and blue and Bumblebee was yellow. I mean they could have been all black.........wouldn't that have been great????

We have also seen where comic properties go wrong with the wrong look and wrong vision......."Elektra" "Daredevil" "Street Fighter" anyone. I knew from the first pics they were gonna be crap and they were crap.

I mean they look like Flea Market knock-off versions of some army guys....and ninjas...........Snake-Eyes is the only one that got me excited.......the rest look awful.

We've seen that movies can be faithful and successful......"Iron man" is a perfect example........it just takes some imagination.

Don't even get me started on Destro.........sheesh.

I for one, am not liking these costumes at all. The vehicles had me turned against them until they just said about a 2 seater sharc, and a giant Cougar vehicle. Also the locales sound pretty cool, but with both of those things, the characters hold the most water, and with outfits like that, and the fact that they are not making a gi joe movie but a movie that wants to be matrix, x-men, and now part batman, that really kills me.

dude..watch your toes! transformers merch sold out so fast....and they mass shipped the stuff the second time. if u pay attention, trans movie stuff is still selling after about a year since the movie came out. the pics that are seen could be ANYTHING! you guys havent even seen a trailer and are already calling the movie trash. those still shots could be one of many looks for the characters. i think if anything, the movies going to have too many characters and not enough time.

This is pretty much just Sigma Six the movie............I would take VvV over the crap that this looks to be anyday. I did not buy one Sigma Six figure after Duke cause I was gonna at least taste the Kool-Aid before I dissed it and I didn't like it. Also I 'm not seeing anything in these pictures in the 25th line.......which if I'm not mistaken has brought GI Joe back to the forefront of collecting and has pretty much kicked all of our geek asses for the past 10 months.

Also the 25th line is based on those "Salvation Army" clothes and in case you haven't been collecting in a while it seems to be doing pretty well. A lot better than Sigma Six ever did.........and Sigma Six even had a cartoon.

While the 25th line is selling well, I don't think that means that a different look in the same style wouldn't do as well. Part of the reason the line is selling well is nostalgia. The rest of the reason is scalpers trying to take advantage of the latest hot craze. Just check eBay. I'd say more than 50% of the 25th line is resting in the hands of scalpers trying to turn a 100% profit. So, with a movie coming along, I'm sure those toys will get a similar treatment regarless of their black uniforms.

As for this being a S6 movie, that's fine with me. S6 could have been a good evolution for Joe had it been done better, and the toyline hadn't tried to change the market so drastically.

I don't see this as looking like a bad movie. I see this as not being a 100% true to the book Joe movie, but not being bad. It looks like there is going to be plenty of action, a little sci-fi thrown in, some explosions, and a dash of hot chicks. Hmmm. Sounds like an action movie I wouldn't mind going to see.

The people that are hating the pics so far seem to be those that have a history with the old Joes. Like I said before, we are only a small niche market in the grand scheme of things. They are not going to cater an entire movie to us. They have to sell tickets. And if they only exclude that niche market, then it won't hurt them in the pockets nearly as much if it was the other way around.

i am not at all worried

THAT WOULD SUCK

DOC

I'm not saying this movie will ruin my childhood but I think I can speak for a lot of people that we see the POTENTIAL for a great franchise......and it looks to be going down the toliet........Did MOTU ever really recover from the awful movie in 1987....it took 15 years but then it was only around for a couple years.

Sin City, Spider-man, 300, Batman films, Iron Man...........I remember seeing first pics from all these movies and they looked GREAT. They turned out to be great movies and mostly faithful translations (with some liberties) At least the Transformers were robots.....and Optimus was red and blue and Bumblebee was yellow. I mean they could have been all black.........wouldn't that have been great????

We have also seen where comic properties go wrong with the wrong look and wrong vision......."Elektra" "Daredevil" "Street Fighter" anyone. I knew from the first pics they were gonna be crap and they were crap.

I mean they look like Flea Market knock-off versions of some army guys....and ninjas...........Snake-Eyes is the only one that got me excited.......the rest look awful.

We've seen that movies can be faithful and successful......"Iron man" is a perfect example........it just takes some imagination.

Don't even get me started on Destro.........sheesh.

This is a pointless discussion-----

AGREE TO DISAGREE

POTENIAL-----------YES

TOLIET ----------NO

THE GIJOE FRANCHISE ISNT GOING ANYWHRE BUT UP

AND ALL IM TRYING TO GET ACROSS IS ---------THERE NEVER GOING TO BE A PERFECT MOVIE ------LIVE ACTION OR OTHERWISE

IVE BEEN COLLECTING JOES SINCE DAY ONE ------

AND I COULDVE WIPED MY BIG BOOTY WITH THE "GIJOE MOVIE"--I HATED IT WHEN I WAS A KID AND I STILL CANNOT STOMACH THE WHOLE THING

THE NEW STAR WARS EPISODES WERE CONSIDERED BLASPHEMY TO SOME STAR WARS FANS---------WHAT EVER

MEGATRON LOOKED LIKE AN IDIOT, BATMANS NIPPLES, GREEN GOBLINS STUPID SMILIN HELMET,

EVEN IF THIS MOVIE COMES OUT AND ENDS UP BEING A DECENT FLIK -----------THERES STILL GPOING TO BE THE GUY THAT SAYS

SCARLETS PONY TAIL WAS TOO LONG, DUKES TEETH WERE TOO WHITE ----COBRA COMMDERS VOICE WAS OFF, STORM SHADOW WOULD NEVER USE NUNCHUKS, GI JOE WOULD NEVER WEAR ALL BLACK

IF SOME KID SEE GIJOE ON THE BIG SCREEN WEARING THE UNIFORMS I LOVE AND THAT WE ALL GREW UP HE'S NOT GOING TO KNOW ROADBLOCK(OR HEAVY DUTY) FROM THE BLACK GUY FROM Y.M.C.A

PUT JOES IN BLACK AND COBRAS IN BLUE(I HOPE)----------THEY WILL KNOW THE DIFFRENCE

LETS FACE IT ------------WE'RE OLD-----------THIS ISNT"SPIDERMAN" OR BATMAN ----WHO HAVE BEEN AROUND AND HAD THE SAME LOOK FOR THE MOST PART SINCE DAY ONE BECAUSE ITS TOO EASY TO TRANSLATE AND UPDATE

AND THIS MY FRIEND IM SORRY TO SAY IS NO LONGER "OUR" GIJOE

DOC

While the 25th line is selling well, I don't think that means that a different look in the same style wouldn't do as well. Part of the reason the line is selling well is nostalgia. The rest of the reason is scalpers trying to take advantage of the latest hot craze. Just check eBay. I'd say more than 50% of the 25th line is resting in the hands of scalpers trying to turn a 100% profit. So, with a movie coming along, I'm sure those toys will get a similar treatment regarless of their black uniforms.

Scalpers will not be into the movie figures at all........because they will take up half the aisle like every other movie line. Scalpers thrive on supply and demand.......the 25th line is somewhat scalper friendly because they don't sit on the shelf too long.

That means a lot of people want the 25th figures and not many people are able to get them.

I never have seen a Superman Returns Superman going for more than 10 bucks on ebay. Come to think of it......I've never seen any movie figure go above 50 bucks near the time it was out with an exception of the first "Blade" which had a small line to go with it. The figures were near impossible to find......thus making the demand high.

These figures will be everywhere.......and will warm pegs like every other movie line.

Also, a big reason Transformers did so well is that is was something different on the big screen.......Giant transforming robots fighting each other......even Bay said on the DvD commentary that a lot of people said it was something "new." He was talking about the general public........

dude..watch your toes! transformers merch sold out so fast....and they mass shipped the stuff the second time. if u pay attention, trans movie stuff is still selling after about a year since the movie came out. the pics that are seen could be ANYTHING! you guys havent even seen a trailer and are already calling the movie trash. those still shots could be one of many looks for the characters. i think if anything, the movies going to have too many characters and not enough time.

Dude, my toes are fine, no need to watch them. I don't give a rats ass if the stuff sold when the movie was out. I am saying now the crap is clogging the aisles when we could be seeing decent figures. Also, I am in a bigger city where theres a bigger population, and the stuff isn't moving now so what does that tell you?. Also every time I go to wally world I keep seeing the 2 disc movie set and it is on clearance on the bottom shelf. How often do we see movies on clearance at walmart, besides in the 2 for 10 bin. Also how smart was it to make the transformers so over the top that with so much transforming goin on, it would be impossible for it to translate to toys? They had to have a transforming figures line, and then a robot mode that showed off the ridiculousness of the robots.

The movie may have unfortunatly did well in the box office, but will always be crap to me.

I am hoping that this movie will be better but my faith in hollywood is going out fast.

I am entitled to my opinion. I know I am an old fart that can't have everything, and that we are the minority but I can hope.

Blech!! Not having a very good feeling about this movie anymore. The Cobra characters don't look so bad, but the Joes are a disaster, imo. They look less like a military unit, and more like a high-tech SWAT team. I guess I can take some changes to the character designs, but the all-black look is boring and is done entirely too often.

I agree with some of the other posters, this is looking more like "Sigma Six: The Movie".

-Tony

Dude, my toes are fine, no need to watch them. I don't give a rats ass if the stuff sold when the movie was out. I am saying now the crap is clogging the aisles when we could be seeing decent figures. Also, I am in a bigger city where theres a bigger population, and the stuff isn't moving now so what does that tell you?. Also every time I go to wally world I keep seeing the 2 disc movie set and it is on clearance on the bottom shelf. How often do we see movies on clearance at walmart, besides in the 2 for 10 bin. Also how smart was it to make the transformers so over the top that with so much transforming goin on, it would be impossible for it to translate to toys? They had to have a transforming figures line, and then a robot mode that showed off the ridiculousness of the robots.

The movie may have unfortunatly did well in the box office, but will always be crap to me.

I am hoping that this movie will be better but my faith in hollywood is going out fast.

I am entitled to my opinion. I know I am an old fart that can't have everything, and that we are the minority but I can hope.

give me a break. i figured that your response was going to be something like that. i dont care how much it sold or didnt saie on dvd or what the figs are doing a year after....u shouldnt either. your opinion is fine, but the truth is that the movie was great! i like cartoons, but some of the stuff is just to silly for film. if u think that realism isnt going to have an effect on a comic movie, then.....oh, 4 the record, all of the blockbusters have had their dvd in the sale bin. any movie that has been out a while is going to do that, u act as if walmart sold every copy of spiderman, or whatever movie u like. i bet any movie that hs been out a while is still at wal mart.

What are you talking about??? the TF movie sucked... well, it was good as a generic robot action movie,... but it wasn't Transformers except in the names.

It's funny how people try and defend this movie by saying everyone thought Transformers was gonna suck and it didn't.

I think it's a pretty accurate comparison...people have been bemoaning the translations of costumes the exact same way they did for say, X-Men, or the chracter designs of the TF movie characters. Both of those movies turned out just fine. I'm sure this is a trend that will continue for this movie. For simple stills, I think the characters look pretty cool...a touch of realism and a touch of stylization.

As I said about the TF movie, as long as the heart of the characters are intact, the movie will be fine.

actually.. no. those movies were crap.

and they certainly aren't better than anything that tried to stay true to the source material... maybe.. Spiderman, Batman, Superman??? all kick X-men's ass big time. and TF too.

this movie is not a GiJoe movie. it has GiJoe in the title.. and thats it.

This argument is getting off topic but I don't think you can say Transformers was unsucessful. I think it was the highest selling DVD in 2007 and the movie was a box office hit. Like it or not it made a boatload of money.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....tears...hahahahahaha! Hoo-boy. This movie looks like cosplay convention folk got a decent budget and a script from someone who works for...ah...all I got to say is "meh."

actually.. no. those movies were crap.

and they certainly aren't better than anything that tried to stay true to the source material... maybe.. Spiderman, Batman, Superman??? all kick X-men's ass big time. and TF too.

this movie is not a GiJoe movie. it has GiJoe in the title.. and thats it.

You are RIGHT. #US1#

Destro walking around in the mask 24/7 would have been totally ridiculous. There is simply no way you can have a guy walking around like that realistically unless in a battle situation. Which from what I understand is exactly what we are going to get. I'd save the complaints about Destro until we actually get to see what his mask will look like. Maskless Destro here looks perfect.

I don't have a problem with the Joes not looking "accurate". What's wrong with them looking realistically military? Its the CHARACTERS that come across, not the costumes. However, the main problem with the costumes is they AREN'T realistically military. They are trying to make this into a superhero movie. The characters don't come across at all really.

Snake Eyes comes across well because his costume is more "accurate". Scarlett has redhair. Storm Shadow is wearing white.

But the others? Is that Heavy Duty? Roadblock? Stalker? Token Black Guy? I could be wrong, maybe the character will "behave" correctly (Roadblock likes to cook and talk in rhyme, Heavy Duty likes classical music, etc.). Or "Breaker"? the closest I get to a an actually G.I. Joe character there is Hi-Tech.

The reason the first 3 I mentioned are ok is that they, at the least, vaguely resemble who they are supposed to be.

I guarantee, had they not said the names, and just shown the pics, we would immediately recognize Snake Eyes, Scarlett and Storm Shadow. MAYBE Destro (if the MARS was hidden). But the others? No way in hell would they be named beyond speculation.

But as for the comparsions to X-Men and others, there WAS some "creatively liberty" given the nature of those movies. Duke can't shoot lasers from his eyes and Snake Eyes doesn't have retractable claws. G.I. Joe still has a bit of "grounding in reality", even considering the outlandishness of Cobra.