MOVIE STORM SHADOW AND DESTRO

Jeff

Normally I don't reply to the forum, I just follow along reading peoples input. I work in Hollywood and I am a filmmaker myself. For whatever that is worth, here is what I have to say. The director who has chosen the costume design should be strapped face down to a table and be violatingly penetrated with large roughly edged objects until he agrees to go back to film school where he will be instructed by fellow students on how to make a film. Not only has the fan and franchise been robbed by this project, but the studio has robbed themselves of a profit. Welcome to reliving Street Fighter all over again. Not only will they have disappointed, rage filled, picketing fans on their hands, but this level of artistic creativity will surely sink their ship with an unfamiliar public. I am now so ashamed of my creepy G.I. Joe collecting addiction that I shall proceed to storm my studio where I have thousands of dollars in G.I. joe memorabilia, gather the collection together and have an indiscreet bonfire, in which I shall quietly sob to myself asking the question, "Why does God hate me?" After seeing the craptacular choices they have made, I now have the confidence that I can shoot a one hour film, highlighting shots of different craps that I have taken in a toilet, and trust that some studio in Hollywood will pay me for it. Lastly my only constructive criticism is this. Destro was buff mother-fer and Storm Shadow...who hasn't already voiced their opinion on that. But in all do respect, if their budget for the whole film is 10,000 dollars, then they are on their way to making a very quality project.

Thank you all for allowing me to rant and rave.

-Remorseful G.I. Joe Fan In Hollywood

@loll@ I love it!

You've hit every nail square on the head. I couldn't care less about this movie and don't HAVE to like it, I don't HAVE to see it, and I can just totally ignore it's existence altogether. However, (as you've covered above) it could very well make the name G.I.Joe and everything EVER associated with it, such an embarrassment, that us old fans will have to hide our interest in it, much like someone who once thought Street Fighter was "cool".....before the movie POOPED on it. ^_^

That's where my concern lies.

Was there ever a Howard The Duck sequel? @hmmm@

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea they were making a sequel to Starship Troopers.

You can not check them all out here.

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=13234

Why not? @smilepunch@

I still hope the Joes have individual outfits at some point and these are just team outfits for the big fight. If Destro slaps on some leather at some point I will be happy about that.

I'll still go see it just for the Baroness.

Speed Racer will beat Ironman for the week probably.... but it wont beat Ironman's opening weekend...

also.. Speed Racers is more true to the original cartoon than this GiJoe movie is.. Look at his car, look at the other characters and costumes,.. very similar

Why not? @smilepunch@

I still hope the Joes have individual outfits at some point and these are just team outfits for the big fight. If Destro slaps on some leather at some point I will be happy about that.

We've seen what the individual Joe outfits will look like........Cover Girl and Hawk are wearing stuff similar to what they will be wearing......I mean the Joes have been pretty much all the same in their combat suits. What makes you think that they are going to look any different from CG and Hawk. That craptactular GI Joe bedsheet camo will probably be their everyday uniforms.

It so screams "Street Fighter"..........Sagat was a guy in a suit for most of the movie.......and was a secondary "boss man" kinda like Destro. (Who looks to be a guy in a suit for most of the movie) The comparisons are off the charts..........it sucks hard.

@smilepunch@ I for one disagree with a fair share of you guys! i have been a GIjoe fan ever since i was a kid in the 80's and as much a fan that i am i wouldn't change a thing about what they have done with these classic characters! i know some of you nay-sayers think it should be an exact mock up of the original comics and cartoons, but bulls**t like that makes for crappy movies! there is a recipe to making a blockbuster film in hollywood these days and the best thing you can do with an already existant franchise is update it to a new audience, yet leave enough of the charater base to keep the old fans happy! for example X-MEN, Spiderman, daredevil, transformers, so on and so fourth!

so tell me how many of you who saw these movies would have taken bullseye serious if he was walking around in black & white target tights, or wolverine in yellow spandex??

plain and simple i am loving these new versions of the Gijoe characters, baroness looks hot yet deadly like she should, storm shadow looks cool and i wouldn't change a thing about his outfit! i know alot of you are wanting something more ninja like, but last i checked that didn't work for the street fighters movie and it aint going to work here! this outfit works great mask and mask less, its a fusion of modern-day tactical and the fantasy you all love so much! i especilly like the fact that he has a side arm, becuase this guy would be dead in real life if he brought knife (sword...lol!) to gun battle!

as for destro, i like the look so far, i know he will have his trademark mask at some point so it works well! i work as a screen writer and anyone with half a brain would have guessed thye would put the man in a business suit, like someone said in another forum, no body wants to see some leather clad bare chest pimp with a flavor-flav madallion running around the world arm's dealing! the best way for any part of this movie can get out their is to get some semblance of reality!if you closely on his tie you can see the replacement for his madallion which is alot less tacky!

now onto the Joes themselves i am glad they went with semi-relaistic, semi-fantasy, next generation tactical suits and gear! becuase even though the old outfits work great in comic and cartoon form, i was worried we might end up with that virtual circus of military village people in live-action form! if they did that they might as well have handed creative control over to Uwe Boll or Joel Schumacher! sorry if i offended anyone but campy crap like batman and robin is not what we want in the ver first GIjoe film! look at batman begins and the Darkknight, i don't care what anyone of you fanboys think this new updated reimagined franchise is closer to what batman would be in reality and in the books than any other film! becuase they give a reason behind the costumes and make it a bit more practical, not only that they rely on charater depth and acting abilty to bring it out! so to all you people saying this movie sucks due to alack of a few non-green spandex military outfits and white Ryu costume with a cobra symboled white mask, you don't know what you are talking about! YO JOE!!! #US1#

Normally I don't reply to the forum, I just follow along reading peoples input. I work in Hollywood and I am a filmmaker myself. For whatever that is worth, here is what I have to say. The director who has chosen the costume design should be strapped face down to a table and be violatingly penetrated with large roughly edged objects until he agrees to go back to film school where he will be instructed by fellow students on how to make a film. Not only has the fan and franchise been robbed by this project, but the studio has robbed themselves of a profit. Welcome to reliving Street Fighter all over again. Not only will they have disappointed, rage filled, picketing fans on their hands, but this level of artistic creativity will surely sink their ship with an unfamiliar public. I am now so ashamed of my creepy G.I. Joe collecting addiction that I shall proceed to storm my studio where I have thousands of dollars in G.I. joe memorabilia, gather the collection together and have an indiscreet bonfire, in which I shall quietly sob to myself asking the question, "Why does God hate me?" After seeing the craptacular choices they have made, I now have the confidence that I can shoot a one hour film, highlighting shots of different craps that I have taken in a toilet, and trust that some studio in Hollywood will pay me for it. Lastly my only constructive criticism is this. Destro was buff mother-fer and Storm Shadow...who hasn't already voiced their opinion on that. But in all do respect, if their budget for the whole film is 10,000 dollars, then they are on their way to making a very quality project.

Thank you all for allowing me to rant and rave.

-Remorseful G.I. Joe Fan In Hollywood

@loll@ I love it!

You've hit every nail square on the head. I couldn't care less about this movie and don't HAVE to like it, I don't HAVE to see it, and I can just totally ignore it's existence altogether. However, (as you've covered above) it could very well make the name G.I.Joe and everything EVER associated with it, such an embarrassment, that us old fans will have to hide our interest in it, much like someone who once thought Street Fighter was "cool".....before the movie POOPED on it. ^_^

That's where my concern lies.

Was there ever a Howard The Duck sequel? @hmmm@

Wow, I think I want to save this reply cause it could be one of the best replies to a topic that I've ever read. Also, I just have a feeling that this thing will have a decent opening weekend.......and then fall off the face of the earth.....like #1 its first weekend then like a 75% drop.

I'm not wishing it to do bad.......and its not raping my childhood but I think they totally missed the point. I'm gonna collect RAH and Joes no matter what......but talk about missing the mark.

Also where are the Zartan pics.......him and CC are the only 2 that are MIA from what I understand. What's up with that?

What my comment meant was that while we do have our opinions, we, the collectors (myself included), are a very small market for this movie. Look at Speed Racer. They took a familiar name, took their liberties, and now they're releasing a movie that is likely to knock Ironman from the #1 spot this week. Do you think they were trying to cater to the Speed Racer fans out there? That's highly unlikely. What's more likely is that they took a name everyone was familiar with and made a movie that was loosly based on the property. That seems to be the direction they are taking with the Joe movie.

I'll say one thing. Speed Racer actually LOOKS like Speed Racer! @firedevil@

Destro walking around in the mask 24/7 would have been totally ridiculous. There is simply no way you can have a guy walking around like that realistically unless in a battle situation. Which from what I understand is exactly what we are going to get. I'd save the complaints about Destro until we actually get to see what his mask will look like. Maskless Destro here looks perfect.

Sorry I disagree with you, wearing the mask all the time out of family honor is at the heart of what makes the Destro character who he is, and If Iron Man can wear a helmet or Darth Vader I don't believe in this day and age of movie magic they couldn't come up with something that looks good he could wear all the time. Same goes for Cobra Commander.

"Destro" is a codename, just like Stalker or Ice Cream Soldier. Destro is also a terrorist.

James McCullen is still a legitimate business man. Its not likely he would go to legitmate business dealings in the world at large wearing his terrorist persona.

EXACTLY

Well, like I said before (since we have more pics), if not for the fact we know who is supposed to be who, I can almost guarantee we wouldn't know anything BASED ON THESE PICTURES about the characters.

We would be able to recognize, Baroness, Scarlett, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. Maybe Destro. But the others? Come on. I don't believe anyone could tell me they wouldn't think Wayans was playing Stalker (or even possibly Doc). And that guy with the scar is that Duke?

Yeah, that was awesome. I have always liked the different constumes/uniforms that GI Joe characters had. It was a big part of the fun. Too bad someone wants to be 'artistic' and make GI Joe their own. What is the problem with keeping it retro?

Yeah, that was awesome. I have always liked the different constumes/uniforms that GI Joe characters had. It was a big part of the fun. Too bad someone wants to be 'artistic' and make GI Joe their own. What is the problem with keeping it retro?

Sarcasm?

Nothing wrong with changing the costumes. But for G.I. Joe, some think that costumes are part of what make up the individual characters.

@smilepunch@ I for one disagree with a fair share of you guys! i have been a GIjoe fan ever since i was a kid in the 80's and as much a fan that i am i wouldn't change a thing about what they have done with these classic characters! i know some of you nay-sayers think it should be an exact mock up of the original comics and cartoons, but bulls**t like that makes for crappy movies! there is a recipe to making a blockbuster film in hollywood these days and the best thing you can do with an already existant franchise is update it to a new audience, yet leave enough of the charater base to keep the old fans happy! for example X-MEN, Spiderman, daredevil, transformers, so on and so fourth!

Those movies to me sucked except spiderman (even though it had the green ranger as the villain) and Daredevil, for the most I like them.

so tell me how many of you who saw these movies would have taken bullseye serious if he was walking around in black & white target tights, or wolverine in yellow spandex??

Oh please take the spandex argument and bury it. I am sick of the people that bow to hollywood, bringing spandex into the argument. I would have liked to see something more closely resembling the comic costumes. I can take updates, like what devils due did, those were awesome. But when you take too much liberty with the costumes, there should be a line drawn. For the RAH line, there were how many versions of the main characters in different costumes to last and keep the line going. We are seeing proof of this with the countless Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander figures coming out. There was plenty of choices to choose from.

now onto the Joes themselves i am glad they went with semi-relaistic, semi-fantasy, next generation tactical suits and gear! becuase even though the old outfits work great in comic and cartoon form, i was worried we might end up with that virtual circus of military village people in live-action form! if they did that they might as well have handed creative control over to Uwe Boll or Joel Schumacher! sorry if i offended anyone but campy crap like batman and robin is not what we want in the ver first GIjoe film! look at batman begins and the Darkknight, i don't care what anyone of you fanboys think this new updated reimagined franchise is closer to what batman would be in reality and in the books than any other film!

Your right just give them all batcapes and we got a blockbuster on our hands !!

Hmm, well not all propertys that stayed true flopped and are "campy" Iron man and Speed Racer look good, and I will gladly see them. Hellboy was great, and I never read the comics. I can't wait for the sequal!! This makes me wonder,X-men did good, but would it have made more and kept going if it was closer to the jim lee costumes, as he did set the bar. Or would it have done worse.

becuase they give a reason behind the costumes and make it a bit more practical, not only that they rely on charater depth and acting abilty to bring it out!

Not quite. The baroness herself has stated this is a movie with T & A, explosions, and not much acting involved

so to all you people saying this movie sucks due to alack of a few non-green spandex military outfits and white Ryu costume with a cobra symboled white mask, you don't know what you are talking about!

Again with the spandex. Ay yi yi.

We are entitled to our opinions, as you are with your spandex laden ones. We've made our points countless times. Read the forums they are in there, not hard to find.

Sarcasm?

Nothing wrong with changing the costumes. But for G.I. Joe, some think that costumes are part of what make up the individual characters.

No, sorry. My post got in a little late. I meant to comment after RobbieDigital.

Why not? @smilepunch@

We've seen what the individual Joe outfits will look like........Cover Girl and Hawk are wearing stuff similar to what they will be wearing......I mean the Joes have been pretty much all the same in their combat suits. What makes you think that they are going to look any different from CG and Hawk. That craptactular GI Joe bedsheet camo will probably be their everyday uniforms.

It so screams "Street Fighter"..........Sagat was a guy in a suit for most of the movie.......and was a secondary "boss man" kinda like Destro. (Who looks to be a guy in a suit for most of the movie) The comparisons are off the charts..........it sucks hard.

Cover Girl seems like Hawk's assistant so that could explain why they have similar outfits. The work with each other all the time. The others could have something different from them. The way it sounded was they show the team being put together. If all the other Joes are doing their own thing early on why would they be wearing the same thing?

They might start with their own unique looks then go to the Hawk/Cover Girl outfits and then get the Sigma Suits.

woah hey i never knew that baroness was with the joes @smilepunch@ she has the same outfit. all in black. i know she has a thing for duke as i remember but having a partner look so soon in the movie is weird no? @loll@ they could wait until the trilogy is done and why oh why is cobra not all dressed in white? i dont get it. lets get real here. black against white? sounds logic no? @loll@

Why not? @smilepunch@

Cover Girl seems like Hawk's assistant so that could explain why they have similar outfits. The work with each other all the time. The others could have something different from them. The way it sounded was they show the team being put together. If all the other Joes are doing their own thing early on why would they be wearing the same thing?

They might start with their own unique looks then go to the Hawk/Cover Girl outfits and then get the Sigma Suits.

This is one of the better ideas I've heard so far about the costumes. It would make sense that we might see them in all their 80's glory when the team is being put together, and then they break out those high tech superhero suits at the end for the final battle. Similar to how the X-Men didn't pop into their suits until the end of the first movie.

Why not? @smilepunch@

This is one of the better ideas I've heard so far about the costumes. It would make sense that we might see them in all their 80's glory when the team is being put together, and then they break out those high tech superhero suits at the end for the final battle. Similar to how the X-Men didn't pop into their suits until the end of the first movie.

I'll be the first to say "Bravo" if thats the case........but do you really believe that. Thats just as bad as the "Flying Graysons" in "Batman Forever" how they were dressed in something like Robin costumes at the circus. Only to have Robin come in later in the Bat-Rubber that we all know so well.

Until we know for sure.......this is a endless argument. But I just don't see them going that way at all.......from what I've read online in regards to the script. (which still may or may not be true) and looking at the pictures there will be no real 80's RAH style look to this film.

I feel I have valid reasons for feeling the way I do........I don't mean to be a hate monger or anything.....like I've stated before it just looks lazy thats all.

Plus if anyone looks around at other movie sites the feeling is somewhat mutual amongst movie fans.

They all say the same thing in talkbacks .........this movie has no personality..... character wise that is.....at least Storm had her white hair, wolvie the claws and hair , Cyclops his Visor, the individual characteristics were there visually. There is nothing here (GI Joe wise) Except for Snake-Eyes.......and Dukes scar, Scarlett's red hair. A lot of the Joes personality and character was their outfits.

Why not? @smilepunch@

I'll be the first to say "Bravo" if thats the case........but do you really believe that. Thats just as bad as the "Flying Graysons" in "Batman Forever" how they were dressed in something like Robin costumes at the circus. Only to have Robin come in later in the Bat-Rubber that we all know so well.

Until we know for sure.......this is a endless argument. But I just don't see them going that way at all.......from what I've read online in regards to the script. (which still may or may not be true) and looking at the pictures there will be no real 80's RAH style look to this film.

I feel I have valid reasons for feeling the way I do........I don't mean to be a hate monger or anything.....like I've stated before it just looks lazy thats all.

Plus if anyone looks around at other movie sites the feeling is somewhat mutual amongst movie fans.

They all say the same thing in talkbacks .........this movie has no personality..... character wise that is.....at least Storm had her white hair, wolvie the claws and hair , Cyclops his Visor, the individual characteristics were there visually. There is nothing here (GI Joe wise) Except for Snake-Eyes.......and Dukes scar, Scarlett's red hair. A lot of the Joes personality and character was their outfits.

My sentiments exactly. I can only hope the action is somewhat "Bourne-esque" to offset the lack of talent in costuming, otherwise we won't see a sequel, which could be a good thing.

Look, we have a HANDFUL of pictures. That's it.

We know little of the actual story and we know NOTHING beyond what we see in this handful of pics. As others said above, its entirely possible these are special missions type outfits while they get to wear other duds (whether "character accurate" or not) for most of the movie. We DON'T KNOW.

I don't really care so much how they are dressed as long as the "acting" is good. The problem I have with the pics is that the guy on the rope with the eyepiece is supposed to be Breaker? Well, if the actor can make me believe he's Breaker, then it don't matter what he wears.

Ok, we've seen the Joes.

Now lets see the COBRAS. I won't be surprised if we don't see Cobra Commander pre-movie. But I WOULD like to see what trooper types they plan to use. Blueshirts? Vipers? [subtype]-Vipers? Red Ninja (man I hope not!)? B.A.T.s?